Sign in to follow this  
BigPontiac

Ford debuts Blind Spot Mirror on '09 Edge

Nice. What's also handy are the parking mirrors on the 4Runner...

2008_4runner_backup_mirrors_1.jpg

Both the blind spot mirror and parking mirror are excellent low-cost alternatives to complicated radars and electronics.

Edited by empowah

This will just make people even more careless about checking their blind spot. I doubt the extra mirror will catch everything, and some people simply aren't coordinated enough to piece together 3 images in their brain (the mirror, blind spot mirror, and peripheral vision -to form a complete image of whats on the side of their vehicle).

This will just make people even more careless about checking their blind spot. I doubt the extra mirror will catch everything, and some people simply aren't coordinated enough to piece together 3 images in their brain (the mirror, blind spot mirror, and peripheral vision -to form a complete image of whats on the side of their vehicle).

What would your response have been if Honda had come up with it? :scratchchin:

Anyway, I think it's a nice addition that can prove helpful, especially when the B-pillar is blocking your view (this is both a joke and a serious comment 68 :P).

I also liek that this is accomplished without 7 computers and 50 pounds of extra weight.

Cool. The passenger-side mirror of my 9-5 is convex at the outer edge, which allows more peripheral vision, and this is also a welcome innovation.

I wouldn't have a response since Honda probably wouldn't announce it or make a press release out of it.

If Ford debuts their cars with air fresheners already installed, will they call it an "industry-first innovation" as well?

They seriously have a press release about this?

They slapped a small mirror inside a big one. Big deal. I've seen a 1992 Ford Tempo with this.

They seriously have a press release about this?

They slapped a small mirror inside a big one. Big deal. I've seen a 1992 Ford Tempo with this.

You can probably get the small close-up mirror at Pep Boys for $5.

You can probably get the small close-up mirror at Pep Boys for $5.

From the article:

Ford's Blind Spot Mirror provides a more seamless solution than present aftermarket offerings, as it uses one continuous glass surface and is robust to the elements. The factory-installed spotter mirror is specifically designed for the vehicle - car or truck - it provides an optimized field of view.

I wouldn't have a response since Honda probably wouldn't announce it or make a press release out of it.

If Ford debuts their cars with air fresheners already installed, will they call it an "industry-first innovation" as well?

Silly me... I have my mirrors adjusted to show the blind spot and then I enable the Honda-World-First-Eclusive-Best-Non-Collision-System which involves some fancy technology called a "window" and a "shoulder-check". I didn't even know I was doing it wrong!

I'm pretty sure that Honda (and many others) have thought of it and not bothered.

Good idea. Dumb press release.

I drive an Econoline, and have come to realize that those mirrors can be something of a lifesaver. I'm sure Mom will appreciate the added touch, especially when her Edge is crammed full of noisy kids.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook