Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Where Do You Live?

I knew you'd probably like Summerlin, given that you were coming from a nice part of south Orange Co. That residential high-rise just as 93/95 forks off to go toward Northern Nevada from Summerlin Parkway just kind of stands out...you know the one I'm talking about, right? Yes, the prices aren't too bad. Don't far-out Henderson and the newer developments around Boulder City have some nice housing options, too?

Yeah, thank God you guys have Mt. Charleston in your backyard. On a real hot summer day, you might as well head up there and spend the whole DAY. (About the road up to Mt. Charleston, bad for your AC and coolant temp as you go up, and horrible on your brakes on the way down...my rental was showing some brake fade by the time I got down to the highway that takes back to LV).

As for the 110 vs. 90-95 and humid, I'll take 90-95 and humid. At 105+, going outside feels like opening an oven and putting your head in.

Downsides? For me, the downside is that there are a lot of skanky people that have migrated there. You don't see many of them where you live, but try sitting in some of the chain coffee shops "off-Strip" (near Trop. and Decatur, or Trop. and Buffalo) on a Saturday morning so you get some of the locals who live there. Not anyone I'd want to do coffee with.

Very detailed and accurate report.

Those highrises in Summerlin, right at Rampart and the Summerlin Parkway, are called Queensridge. Those condos start at about $1MM apparently. I live just a few blocks from there (but not in anything that expensive....LOL)

I'll still take the heat over the humidity....

As far as the people here, well yeah, you go to the older areas in Las Vegas, and there's a ton of white trash. But then again, same holds true for any city you go to I guess. Every city has it's different classes of people, etc. Therefore, I keep to my little, clean, master-planned community....where there are more pretty people....LOL.

I will say this.....regardless of who they are, or what class of people they are.....people here are by-and-far quite a friendly bunch. Even something as little as the attitude of the cashier at the gas station, etc.....they are always friendly.

There are nice housing areas in and around Henderson......but Summerlin is just that little bit nicer and more upscale. Henderson is too close to the white-trash areas....so alot of that spills over......but that's just the (usually hidden) elitist in me. Henderson is kinda like the "Inland Empire" of the Las Vegas valley. Lots of new homes, new strip malls, yadda, yadda.....but not nearly as desirable as other areas (like the I.E. versus coastal O.C.)

Edited by The O.C.

I'm jealous, I'd love to live where you do.

Chris

The older I get, the more I appreciate it, and I'm definitely thinking twice about leaving the area...There are very few places that seem as perfect to me...unfortunately, there aren't alot of job opportunities for mechancial engineers in the Laramie area of the state.

The older I get, the more I appreciate it, and I'm definitely thinking twice about leaving the area...There are very few places that seem as perfect to me...unfortunately, there aren't alot of job opportunities for mechancial engineers in the Laramie area of the state.

No, but quality of life would make up for it. I used to live in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a great place but just a bigger citthan I wanted to live in so I moved back to Ohio.

Chris

Live in Mississauga, Ontario. Large suburb (pop ~700,000) of Toronto that has developed over the last 35 years. With much of its population not being here for more than 20 years, you don't here people whining looking back and pining for "the good old days". Very multicultural, about 50% white and shrinking, with Indian and Chinese heritage making up the largest other groups in that order. Roughly half of the population was not born in Canada.

I got bumped off a flight from Toronto to Rome and had to spend the night in Mississauga. It was night time, so I didn't see anything.

I like the Woodbridge suburb. It's where all the Italians that decided to get larger and newer houses and left the 2 "Little Italys" (on College Street and on St. Clair West) moved to.

Edited by trinacriabob