2008 Pontiac G6 GXP

The 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP. I just saw one for the first time on the road. There doesn't seem to be much buzz surrounding this model.

When did it hit the dealerships?

A while...I remember seeing a couple at the local Pontiac dealer about 6 months ago..haven't seem any on the road...it's a very polarizing design.

I wonder if it would have done better as a pillarless hardtop?

But seriously, maybe the GXP thing would have been better on the hardtop convertible?

I think that would be interesting...a GXP HC with a manual transmission.

This thing looks so bad I would buy a Camry before I bought a G6 GXP, because not even the Camry is as ugly.

And if we're comparing FWD, the Altima is awkward at some angles but still not anywhere near as ugly ore miss proportioned. It's no contest with Accod, which is by far the best looking FWD coupe on the market right now.

Edited by Dodgefan

The base coupe has an attractive overall shape. I like the car much better without all the add-ons and that hideous rear wing spoiler. The front end design is this vehicle's major downfall. The car has one of the most boring headlight designs combined with an elongated bucktooth grille (I love the Bugs Bunny references in the previous posts) that singlehandedly destroys the iconic nature of Pontiac's twin nostril grille. If Pontiac could give the G6 coupe an interesting, yet attractive front end design, then I think it would be one nice looking coupe.

The GXP version is atrocious. It's too "boy-racer" for my tastes.

On a side note: I think the G6 convertible is a definite indication that a "TwinTop" coupe version of the upcoming Insignia would be one hot looking car.

Edited by cire

No longer a fan of the Warrner Bro edition G6. When I saw it persone it killed it.

There are a few in my area here in Ohio and all were driven by women.

I supported this car when I saw the GM pictures. And I though it would look better inperson.

Well I hated it at the auto show and on the road it is worse. The real wing is wrong and the nose looks like it is in a fun house mirror.

But the shinny gille is what is the deal killer as it is like some kind of chome. Pontiac should have used the nickle plate like on the Solstice. Pontiac should have cut down on the bling and understated the grille. Even the black like on the race cars would have been better and more aggresive looking.

Either way the sooner they send Elmer Fudd to take out this waskaly wabbit the better. The G6 needs replaced. Maybe Pontiac should have taken a right in Albuquerque.

Lets just pray Pontiac if they survive do not go on to make a Daffy Duck G8 with a screaming duck on the hood!

I am sad to say if the market does not imporve and they do not start bring in more money GM will be Chevy, Caddy and maybe Saturn by the end of 2011. The slow market has taken this out of GM's hands at this point. You might have to go to ShangHi to get a Buick, By a Chevy to get a truck and the Pontiac name may have to be suspended.

Many at the Pontiac Natiionals yesterday are very worried and most are not the kind that worry.

G6 GT coupe is well-equipped with no options, imo. I just wish the 18" rims continued into '09 as a stand-alone option. A Silver Green GT coupe with Ebony cloth, woodgrain trim, and the 18" rims would suit me just fine, alas, it appears the 18s are only included with the "Street Edition" '09 GT trim level.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon my local BPG dealer's annual Pontiac show. Some very sweet cars there, as old as 1933, IIRC. A beautiful 40's Woodie wagon, in Battleship Gray, a red '63 Tempest 326 convertible, perfect '73 Grand Am tintop, '77 Can Am and a PRISTINE '77 Grand Prix SJ in silver/silver with black vinyl buckets and a 400, Rallye II rims with blackwalls... shown by the original owner, a little granny who was talking very well for herself with a goodlooking guy admiring the car.

One G6 GTP coupe in white with the 18s, debadged, with a low ducktail spoiler, aftermarket exhaust, dark windows and "G6performance.com" stickers caught my eye. Another great thing at the show was the large turnout of new GTOs, driven by hot young men. There were crowds assembled at one blue one in particular, with a built LS2 engine, owner claiming 700+ ft/lbs torque.

Pontiac needs to keep their romantic, rebel spirit alive... because there are people who value that spirit. GM, please keep your brands focused, your customers will stay, and new ones will be snagged... but you MUST let the brands communicate to the customer. Let Pontiac be Pontiac.

Pontiac needs to keep their romantic, rebel spirit alive... because there are people who value that spirit. GM, please keep your brands focused, your customers will stay, and new ones will be snagged... but you MUST let the brands communicate to the customer. Let Pontiac be Pontiac.

This has been the major problem with Pontiac for quite some time now. GM has given the division too many roles in the past (the worst being "twin-nostrilized" rebadged Chevy clone brand) and now the brand has a major identity crisis. With the exception of the G8 and Solstice, the rest of the lineup is basically "Chevy with an attitude" products aimed at the same affordable portion of the market that Chevy covers. To give some mojo back to the Pontiac brand, the General would need to give it distinct products with a little "something, something" special to differentiate the brand and make it relevant again in the market and in GM's hierarchy. The window of opportunity to do this may very well be closed tight and nailed shut at this point in time. GM doesn't have the money to make it happen and the U.S. market isn't in any condition to properly support it or make it successful.

It's a shame that GM allowed its bean counters and dealers to dictate the pathetic path that Pontiac is on today. When the company had the resources and market conditions to remake Pontiac into something that was truly more premium than Chevy that could retain and/or grow market share, GM turned away and allowed it to deteriorate into what it is today.

Yep, these are out and about albeit in scarce numbers. When I was car shopping, I actually started to like them...hah...after looking at some coupes.

But price wise and equipment, color, etc. I went for a GT coupe and love it. But that's not that I dislike the GXP...the 3.6L/6-speed alone was swaying me there for a few hours of romping around in one. Good thing I was just as impressed, but in a little different way, with the unexpectedly ferocious 3.5L puhrod.

What IS even more rare is not only do I have the '08 GT coupe but an intern at work had an '08 GXP coupe in full Street Package guise before me. Hers is red metallic with black leather, and it's quite the site to see my White Diamond GT and her Red GXP next to each other...so close yet SO different. Oh, and the, ahem, $29k GXP was a graduation gift :rolleyes:

When I was test driving some and took both a GT and a GXP back to work in the same day, everyone liked the GT more and thought the GXP was bizarre. I said "batmobile" and all still agree. BUT I still really like the GXP...maybe it's the old school, bad days of wings and scoops or maybe it's just because it's another step up on car I love as it is, but it's a cool car in person. Bizarre, and can be garish, but attention getting.

I still need to get a picture of our 2 cars side by side...but for the time being...

Intern's:

redgxp1.jpg

redgxp2.jpg

Mine:

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Edited by caddycruiser

I still wish the GTP model was around with the clean look of the GT with the 18's but also the 3.6L/6-speed.

There's still some 2007 leftovers around and I considered a few of these, for a nice discount, when buying my '08 GT. Then again, gas mileage and power wise, I'm still elated with the 3.5L as it is...AND my White Diamond with Taupe cloth, which I never could have had otherwise.

This has been the major problem with Pontiac for quite some time now. GM has given the division too many roles in the past (the worst being "twin-nostrilized" rebadged Chevy clone brand) and now the brand has a major identity crisis. With the exception of the G8 and Solstice, the rest of the lineup is basically "Chevy with an attitude" products aimed at the same affordable portion of the market that Chevy covers. To give some mojo back to the Pontiac brand, the General would need to give it distinct products with a little "something, something" special to differentiate the brand and make it relevant again in the market and in GM's hierarchy. The window of opportunity to do this may very well be closed tight and nailed shut at this point in time. GM doesn't have the money to make it happen and the U.S. market isn't in any condition to properly support it or make it successful.

It's a shame that GM allowed its bean counters and dealers to dictate the pathetic path that Pontiac is on today. When the company had the resources and market conditions to remake Pontiac into something that was truly more premium than Chevy that could retain and/or grow market share, GM turned away and allowed it to deteriorate into what it is today.

All you say is quite correct. But if you look at GM history it's not an entirely new state of affairs. Up until about the mid fifties, you could barely tell the difference between a Pontiac and a Chevrolet. When you look at Pontiacs pre 50s, they almost look like rebadged Chevrolets.

Upon my semi-regular stroll throught the Pontiac Buick GMC dealership, I had the pleasure of looking at the G6 convertible a little more closely, I am liking it more and more. Firstly it is pillarless and next I like it's coupe look....the proportions are nicer than the regular 2-door G6.

The G6 is really a lame product--very old-school GM. It debuted with a crap steering system with crap engines and a crap interior and crap transmissions, and they've been slowly trying to improve it since.

Spent some time in a GXP Coupe today and I came away unimpressed,

The dash was not much better than the Grand AM I went to the Nationals in today. The seats were nice and similar tot he G8. the radio is not the new GM radio.

The rear seat is nice once you get to it but getting there is an adventure that the average buyer will not put up with.

Out side styling has the wheel base too long for the width of the car. It looks out of proporsion. THe rear wing does not work. and the black chome wheels did look good but no on the blue. They would look nice on a black car.

The fake hood scoops are a waste.

This may have been a good car 8 years ago but I would pass it up for several other GM cars before I would put my money on it. Keep in mind I would like to buy a Pontiac but they are not giving me real perfromance cars other than the G8 or the Solstice.

There is no way on Gods green earth Pontiac should not already have a Eco Turbo in a G5 or even this G6.

I bought one Chevy last week and will be getting my Mother a Malibu in the next few weeks. THe wifes car will be replaced in a couple years and if Pontiac is still around they will have to do some major changes before I would replace here car with anything other than a G8.

I want to buy a Pontiac in the future but they are not giving me any reasons to do so on most models.

At this point I do not want to see Pontiac go but if they can not do any better I would rather see them put down than continue they way they are.

Keep in mind I don't want retro GTO's or Trans Am's I live in the today not the past. I just want some real perfromance models that are affordable and attractive to most buyers today.

Give me Real Performance Cars for Real People.

At the rate it is going the next First G? may be the Last G?

Most of the comments, good and bad, about the G6 are worthwhile...but I love my new coupe. And, still, a G6 is the LAST thing I ever expected to buy let alone be my first new car and an expensive one at that, but it fit and I liked it more than other things I had tried.

The other unexpected part has been the attention mine in particular gets, partly because of the coupe style (they're a lot less common than the sedans) and mostly because of the color and the wheels. I was used to the gas station remarks with my Fleetwood, but in a month, I've been getting the same things...with the G6.

Sure, I wish some of the little bits and pieces felt as slick and well done as our Malibu but it isn't THAT far off. Both are definitely very different cars, though, for sure. I'd never buy a sedan one--and had I never noticed the coupes on the lot one night, I probably would have forgotten they existed--but love the coupe look, huge space for me and comfort, the power (overly impressed, still, with the 3.5L), the features, and even the economy which is very important. The only thing that catches me at times is when I go to think "Oh, they can ride with me..." at work or wherever, only to realize I'm best suited to 2 and leave it at that. With the same wheelbase as our Malibu, the back seat is NOT small, but the low roofline further pushed down inside by the sunroof makes it a ducked position. Oh well. I'm the only one in the car 98% of the time anyway.

GXP? Eh, it has its ups and downs. I love the powertrain and actually appreciate--in a weird way--the styling which is just so different than anything else factory out there, but also at the same time think it's overdone. I'm 50/50 on it. One thing I frequently ponder is that the GXP is SO old Pontiac, in a bad way, it's almost baffling such a choice was made. The GT's give off such a different aura and especially with the right colors and wheels, look almost double their cost. Just clean, smooth, and svelte. Oh well, one for both sides of the equation, I guess. I hope the update coming with freshened fascias and such helps out some of the older details still hanging around on what is a solid and often stylish car with a bit of age and lack of polish in little areas.

Edited by caddycruiser

Yep, these are out and about albeit in scarce numbers. When I was car shopping, I actually started to like them...hah...after looking at some coupes.

But price wise and equipment, color, etc. I went for a GT coupe and love it. But that's not that I dislike the GXP...the 3.6L/6-speed alone was swaying me there for a few hours of romping around in one. Good thing I was just as impressed, but in a little different way, with the unexpectedly ferocious 3.5L puhrod.

What IS even more rare is not only do I have the '08 GT coupe but an intern at work had an '08 GXP coupe in full Street Package guise before me. Hers is red metallic with black leather, and it's quite the site to see my White Diamond GT and her Red GXP next to each other...so close yet SO different. Oh, and the, ahem, $29k GXP was a graduation gift :rolleyes:

When I was test driving some and took both a GT and a GXP back to work in the same day, everyone liked the GT more and thought the GXP was bizarre. I said "batmobile" and all still agree. BUT I still really like the GXP...maybe it's the old school, bad days of wings and scoops or maybe it's just because it's another step up on car I love as it is, but it's a cool car in person. Bizarre, and can be garish, but attention getting.

I still need to get a picture of our 2 cars side by side...but for the time being...

Intern's:

redgxp1.jpg

redgxp2.jpg

Mine:

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

You got the pick of the litter. With your car, you can see the attractively clean yet sporty lines of the car (why couldn't they have made the sedan look more like this). The intern's car is an overdone mess; I guess there is a market for this type of thing, but I personally think it ruins the car.

You got the pick of the litter. With your car, you can see the attractively clean yet sporty lines of the car (why couldn't they have made the sedan look more like this). The intern's car is an overdone mess; I guess there is a market for this type of thing, but I personally think it ruins the car.

Actually, I did take one more look at the 2 cars in your post. I still think you have the better looking car. The only thing I would add to the exterior of your car is some tasteful lower body effects (totally UNLIKE anything that Pontiac attached to the GXP version). Other than that, your car is hands down the more attractive of the two.

I just noticed from those pics the G6 coupe looks like it has an almost SUV-like riding height and needs to be dropped an inch and a half.

Has any GM in the last 30 years not had this problem. The 3rd and 4th gen Camaros had a high ride height, although not as high as the Mustang. Even the Corvette has suffered from it in the past. People my age (24) have seen GM sedans with plenty of room in the wheel wells for 22 inch tires with snow chains.

I just noticed from those pics the G6 coupe looks like it has an almost SUV-like riding height and needs to be dropped an inch and a half.

What's weird is it looks like that in some pictures and from some angles in person, but overall, really doesn't. Or at least I don't think so. If anything, the butt is up a tad, but it's fine to me. Maybe a 0.5 inch drop all around would be ideal as an OEM change...I don't know.

Like here:

Image00001.jpg

Image00001.jpg

I've seen them lowered down and it looks completely different in a cool way, but almost at odds with the shape of the body...if that makes sense. But also walking towards it in a parking lot yesterday, it does have a bit of an elevated look to it, for sure. Fitting for me, regardless.

I will say this. With the ground effects and all the "stuff", the GXP does LOOK a little lower even though it isn't. Probably ground effects alone do that. But I won't be adding a thing, as I leased this one and like it exactly as is. Really abiding to the less is better and cleaner, idea.

When I first was turned onto the coupe idea, it was the rear end that I still wasn't fully sure about. Not that I was gaga over the GXP wing, but from what I had seen, I always thought it looked a little too egg-like. It does, but now that I'm used to it I really, really like it. Especially when around an Altima coupe with its chunky butt or the Lexus SC convertible which is looks VERY much like, in a good way. Especially in White Diamond.

Also like the Accord both last gen and current, I kinda wish the sedan had more of the coupe's svelte flow to it...though I'm not sure how that would work with 4 doors.

Edited by caddycruiser

Back to the GXP specifically...I do wonder how it will fare. They've now been out for a year, and top trim G6's never were the big sellers as it was, let alone with such an out there body kit.

It's a standout look, but it's just so much what everyone thought Pontiac DIDN'T want to touch anymore, in the garish plastic way. I could see more in terms of a light underbody kit around the GT base and a slightly lived up nose, but anymore just is loud. I don't know. Both from a sales and an image standpoint.

One G6 GTP coupe in white with the 18s, debadged, with a low ducktail spoiler, aftermarket exhaust, dark windows and "G6performance.com" stickers caught my eye.

Did the car have a ram hood? If it did, I think I know who it is...

Is it this one?

http://gallery.mac.com/zerosnipe#100046&am...lack&sel=17

Edited by ToniCipriani

HarleyEarl- >>"Up until about the mid fifties, you could barely tell the difference between a Pontiac and a Chevrolet. When you look at Pontiacs pre 50s, they almost look like rebadged Chevrolets.

"<<

PLEASE don't even suggest this !! All the detractors need is a gentle nudge to extend their 'rebadge' griping back another 2 or 3 decades. I don't have the heart to endure the wildfire bashing should such an idea gain traction. The cars are completely unique aside from a very minimal percentage of shared parts (5% ??).

HarleyEarl- >>"Up until about the mid fifties, you could barely tell the difference between a Pontiac and a Chevrolet. When you look at Pontiacs pre 50s, they almost look like rebadged Chevrolets.

"<<

PLEASE don't even suggest this !! All the detractors need is a gentle nudge to extend their 'rebadge' griping back another 2 or 3 decades. I don't have the heart to endure the wildfire bashing should such an idea gain traction. The cars are completely unique aside from a very minimal percentage of shared parts (5% ??).

Personally, I really can't tell the difference between most any pre-1948 GM product from a given year from one another without seeing the badging. It seems the 48/49ish designs for the A-, B-, and C- bodies was when they started having strong brand identities (with shared rooflines for each body line).

Then again, it's not like I ever see these cars in person with any frequency..way before my time.

The convertible has the worst proportions of any of the G6, it looks terrible with the top up. Someone in the building I work at has a silver one...the wheels are nice and that's the only good thing I can say.

And plood...in a Pontiac? Srsly? Leave the plood for Buicks, IMHO.

Well my wife has a 2008 G6 V6 Sedan and, similar to caddycruiser's, it's White Diamond Tricoat with the Taupe <leather> interior with the plood accents. It's a very nice combination, and one I didn't think I would like initally. Many people at her job in Princeton drive foreign cars, notably Toyotas, Volvos, BMWs, Mercedes, etc. Most of her coworkers drive small, 4cyl economy cars and tried their best to convince her to move down in size too. She's been totally happy with her G6 (Aug 26 will be two months) and I asked her if she still likes it - to which she replied an enthusiastic "Yes!". Many of her coworkers think she spent a ton of money on it - the WD paint, taupe leather, and the Chrome Package make this car look more upscale than what it really is (they call her "Miss Moneybags" when she drives them out to lunch). Other than the radio being "old school" GM, it gained an auxillary input jack added for 2008 and she likes it as it is. She's totally happy with her G6 and we've met other G6 owners who feel the same way. I too use to knock the G6 for being the older of the Epsilons, but in reality it's not as bad as some here make it out to be. I wish we could have opted up for the convertible, or purchased the coupe, but we need the sedan for the convenience of the two boys getting in & out, and so far we still all like the G6.

Yesterday at a all-GM classic car show held at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership, there was a black GXP G6 Coupe that she just thought was the ugliest thing in the world. She stated that she was happy the G6 didn't look like that on every model. I can;t get over the frontend with the "Bugs Bunny" grille and the extremely overdone rear spoiler. But to some that's what they like and many here claim GM doesn't offer enough unique models.

It's just that, too me, plood belongs with luxury, or rather pretensions of being luxury, and metal is for more performance oriented interiors/vehicles. Which one is Pontiac supposed to be?

It should be noted that, as far as I know, the two cars that most fit Pontiac's image of performance, the G8 and Solstice, don't have plood in their interiors.

That's just my :twocents:

Edited by Dodgefan

As with the Impala, woodgrain or metallic-look trim is the owner's choice when ordering. I see nothing wrong with woodgrain trim in a Pontiac. I was looking at a very hot '65 Grand Prix on Saturday, with the factory, real wood veneer across the expansive dashboard, and it was spectacular. I look at it this way: metallic-look trim is for people who want a "cool" feeling, while woodgrain is for those who prefer a "warm" interior. To each his own, and I am glad buyers have the choice.

It's just that, too me, plood belongs with luxury, or rather pretensions of being luxury, and metal is for more performance oriented interiors/vehicles. Which one is Pontiac supposed to be?

It should be noted that, as far as I know, the two cars that most fit Pontiac's image of performance, the G8 and Solstice, don't have plood in their interiors.

That's just my :twocents:

It's always up the individual owner, of course, but even on 'performance' cars, I like plood...it adds some warmth visually to the interior. 'Metal' (i.e. aluminum colored plastic) is too cold and mechanical for my tastes... and real metal trim gets hot in the summer, so that's not good. I do like the old style 'turned aluminum' dash trim from the '70s Trans Ams and Bentleys though. One interior trim I strongly dislike is carbon fiber (fake or real)--looks disgusting, IMHO.

... There is no way on Gods green earth Pontiac should not already have a Eco Turbo in a G5 or even this G6...

Give me Real Performance Cars for Real People...

+1

This car could be such the underground hit with the LNF turbo 4 and a manual transmission option across the board to differentiate it from the other Ep-bodies (and maybe eke out a few more in CAFE numbers). Besides, the G6 started off with a M6 option - just tweak the sloppy action a bit and it'll be better perceived in the eyes of some performance junkies... especially now that some of the imports are becoming auto-biased as well.

I'd say give the G5 the turbo 1.4, and the G6 the LNF as the up-motors and let the tuners take a shot at them. As for the rest, have the interiors mimic the G8 and save the plood for Buick.

(I'd also say ditch the alphanumerics and bring back the real names, but that's neither here nor there)