What's in a name?

prinzSD

I did not know where to post this topic. Mods feel free to re-assign the topic. I was always curious about why members chose the call sign for cheers and gears. While some are obvious, others can be a bit more cyptic, while others use just their name. It would be fun to find out a bit more about the C & Gers. I will start off with my sign in name and it's easy once you see my prferred mode of transportation.

PrinzSD

Prinz = part of my last name Prinzivalli

SD = the famed and best motor Pontiac made, the legendary Super Duty 455, hence SD.

I did not know where to post this topic. Mods feel free to re-assign the topic. I was always curious about why members chose the call sign for cheers and gears. While some are obvious, others can be a bit more cyptic, while others use just their name. It would be fun to find out a bit more about the C & Gers. I will start off with my sign in name and it's easy once you see my prferred mode of transportation.

PrinzSD

Prinz = part of my last name Prinzivalli

SD = the famed and best motor Pontiac made, the legendary Super Duty 455, hence SD.

We did. I guess my search functions weren't precise enough.

>>"SD = the famed and best motor Pontiac made, the legendary Super Duty 455, hence SD."<<

No props for the 421 SD?

How can I forget, definitly props to the 421 SD. I have a soft spot for the 455 because I would like to add a73 SD455 Trans Am to my stable.

"The Ocean Blue" was an alternative rock band popular in the late 80's-early 90's. I was a big fan, and got a license plate that read "OCN BLU". When I got my first pc in '99, I used "ocnblu" as my nick everywhere, and it stuck.

GM designates all of their experimental/prototype cars as XP-___. The XP-715 is the original Buick Riviera concept car:

1963_buick_riviera_silver_arrow_i_concep

I owned a 1996 Buick Riviera when I joined, and have long loved most all incarnations of the car as they are most often, in my opinion, the perfect blend of muscle and substance and style. I'd still like to cross one of every year before 1977 off my list before I die, as well as a nice example of a '79-'85 model as they bring back fond memories from when I was a kid. I'm thinking a convertible version would be nice.

.... I am an analyst for a large mult-national importer of Dutch Tulips.

Cool replies, now I know a little more of the members I chat with. It's obvious some of us have an attachment to one of the brands ( and we know some history of our cherished brand) and I can see how some off us get defensive when talk about killing our brand is involved. Lately there has been too much talk about killing Buick or Pontiac. I hope GM can see that killing a brand is not a good idea. Keep the responses coming...I am very interested.

This topic comes around every now and then...

I was born in LA but lived in Seattle to be closer to my parents who were "equity transferees" to the Pacific NW from California (no longer possible to be an "equity transferee" because it's now expensive up there).

I worked with a local a-hole in an architectural firm. He didn't like me, but all the other transplants did. I had to work late one night and told him I might have to call him at home with a question.

Him: You didn't call me last night.

Me: I didn't need to, Issaquah* Todd. (* = a suburb)

Him: Fine, California Bob.

Me: You don't like Californians?

Him: (drawn out) No...I...don't

At any rate, I always tried to get California Bob for e-mail accounts. It's always taken. I then wondered if Trinacria Bob, referring to my parents' native Sicily, would be taken. It never is.

Well, my name is simple: I love GM vehicles, especially the trucks (GMC most notably, and regardless of how screwed up the company's been in my 33 years of existance); when people ask what kind of vehicles I like the most, I always respond with "I'm a Truck Guy"; and 74 represents the year of my birth (1974) - put it all together and you get GMTruckGuy74.

'Usonian' is a term that refers to a housing concept created by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was intended to be a low cost, owner built home which was way ahead of its time. If by some miracle I actually get to build a new house someday, I'd like to build one of these. So, I'm Usonia.

'Usonian' is a term that refers to a housing concept created by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was intended to be a low cost, owner built home which was way ahead of its time. If by some miracle I actually get to build a new house someday, I'd like to build one of these. So, I'm Usonia.

Cool..I figured there was a FLW connection w/ yer handle. I'm a bit of FLW fanatic myself, have several books on his work, and have toured his home in Oak Park, Taliesin West, and Fallingwater...

As I kid, I wanted to be a car designer...I should have stuck to it and become Chris Bangle (he is from Ohio also).

Though if wasn't a software engineer/architect, I would have liked to have gone into architecture..I love industrial design and building design.

Edited by moltar

As far as mine, I'm not sure why I picked 'moltar'..must have been inspired by Moltar The Inperious character on Space Ghost. It also reminds me of MostaB, the German word for something that I caon't remember.

I've been on the internet since the Usenet news groups era of the late '80s in college, have used many handles elsewhere, incl. moltar and 'Cubical', 'Cubicleman' and 'DJ Cubical'. My real name is Rob (NEVER Bob though).

Cool..I figured there was a FLW connection w/ yer handle. I'm a bit of FLW fanatic myself, have several books on his work, and have toured his home in Oak Park, Taliesin West, and Fallingwater...

As I kid, I wanted to be a car designer...I should have stuck to it and become Chris Bangle (he is from Ohio also).

Though if wasn't a software engineer/architect, I would have liked to have gone into architecture..I love industrial design and building design.

I've been to Fallingwater twice and the Hollyhock House in L.A. We have the Boynton House here in Rochester, New York and there are several homes in Buffalo. The two biggest being the Darwin Martin complex and the Martin's summer home, Graycliff. Both are nearing completion of major restorations. Very impressive what they've done there. You should check out the websites.

http://www.darwinmartinhouse.org/

http://graycliff.bfn.org/

This topic comes around every now and then...

I was born in LA but lived in Seattle to be closer to my parents who were "equity transferees" to the Pacific NW from California (no longer possible to be an "equity transferee" because it's now expensive up there).

I worked with a local a-hole in an architectural firm. He didn't like me, but all the other transplants did. I had to work late one night and told him I might have to call him at home with a question.

Him: You didn't call me last night.

Me: I didn't need to, Issaquah* Todd. (* = a suburb)

Him: Fine, California Bob.

Me: You don't like Californians?

Him: (drawn out) No...I...don't

At any rate, I always tried to get California Bob for e-mail accounts. It's always taken. I then wondered if Trinacria Bob, referring to my parents' native Sicily, would be taken. It never is.

Ah, a fellow Sicilian!

Enzora = Enzo (Ferrari) + Zora (Arkus-Duntov.) I wanted something a little more unique that referenced my love of cars without being too obvious about it.

That is a clever name, I like the thought process that went into. It's sort of like companies who take two words and blend them at a common letter and come up with their product name.

Mine was actually the call sign of our aircraft as we flew back to the states from the Middle East. It was taken from a characature in a bathroom stall at a bar in Rota, Spain of Darth Vader with the quote "Nobody messes with the evil Pants Vader." It was liked so much by the pilots of our aircraft, they took it as their call sign. Pretty funny to listen to air traffic controllers of other countries refer to us as "Pader Tree-Tree," "Vodar 33," and my favorite, coming from an ATC somewhere in Europe, "Lord Vader 33."

The 33 part was because one of the pilots thought it would be an easy number to remember, other than that, it has no significance.

Mine was actually the call sign of our aircraft as we flew back to the states from the Middle East. It was taken from a characature in a bathroom stall at a bar in Rota, Spain of Darth Vader with the quote "Nobody messes with the evil Pants Vader." It was liked so much by the pilots of our aircraft, they took it as their call sign. Pretty funny to listen to air traffic controllers of other countries refer to us as "Pader Tree-Tree," "Vodar 33," and my favorite, coming from an ATC somewhere in Europe, "Lord Vader 33."

The 33 part was because one of the pilots thought it would be an easy number to remember, other than that, it has no significance.

I take it that they're not Star Wars geeks, because if they were they would have used 77 instead of 33 (referring to 1977 when Star Wars debutted). In the Star Wars collectibles scene, some Vader merchandise (like jersies, hoodies, and t-shirts) had "Vader 77" as the featured design:

swdpvdfj_img1.jpg

Oh yeah, I know I'm a Star Wars geek!!!

(and yes, I'm anxiously awaiting tomorrow afternoon to see the new "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" movie!) :P

I used to play a computer game called Avara (which is still my favorite game of all time.) There was a player who went by the name of Storm whom I would often play online with. He suggested we start our own clan (which was pointless because there were only a handfull of people who played anymore), and that our color should be red. I suggested that scarlet sounded cooler than red, so he changed his handle to §carlet §torm and I became §carlet §wordfish (a play on my real name).

A friend of mine who is a big Star Wars fan uses the handle Lord Vader on various forums and has Vader as part of one of his emails... he tried to get the personalized license plate VADER for his black on black NSX but found it was taken in Colorado..

From Wikipedia:

The section sign (§; Unicode U+00A7, HTML entity §) is a typographical character used mainly to refer to a particular section of a document, such as a legal code. It is frequently used along with the pilcrow (¶), or paragraph sign.

We just used them 'cos they look cool. :D

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

A friend of mine who is a big Star Wars fan uses the handle Lord Vader on various forums and has Vader as part of one of his emails... he tried to get the personalized license plate VADER for his black on black NSX but found it was taken in Colorado..

I sometimes use "pants_vader" as a screen name on other forums and on a Pirate MMORPG I used to play. Vader33 would look cool on my license plate...granted it's not taken in Colorado. Gotta wait till my Oklahoma tags expire first.