Acura TL Revealed

Some more exterior/interior colors (these are official pics, not photoshopped like the blue one above):

2009tl-01.jpg

2009tl-02.jpg

2009tl-03.jpg

I do at least like the alloy wheels. They did a nice job with tham, they are very distinctive IMHO.

Chris

i am not liking at all that interior. a major step backwards IMHO

not so much the center stack, that's nice. the brake handle, gauges and seats all shout cheap accord. and it looks like badge engineering.

the exterior is growing on me. i like the rear, the front viewed from the top is interesting. overall this is much nicer than say, the new maxima.

is this thing true dvd-audio capable?

Edited by regfootball

Wow, there is quite a ridiculous amount of fake metal on the door panels, too. They should have done some sort of wood/metal combination like the CTS to break up so much shiny silver plastic.

Yeah...I don't care for fake metal...all plood would have been nicer. I assume there are trim levels with plood, like the current model. I like the interior design, pretty similar to the current car and the Accord...but the exterior, I'm not sure.

Yeah...I don't care for fake metal...all plood would have been nicer. I assume there are trim levels with plood, like the current model. I like the interior design, pretty similar to the current car and the Accord...but the exterior, I'm not sure.

The last model was real aluminum. I would assume this model is too.

I have been hearing talk that it is real aluminum, but I haven't been able to confirm it or see it in writing in a review yet.

MDX, RL, and current TL all have real aluminum trim. The TSX & RDX recieve painted look alikes. Even more interesting is the fact that the TL is the only car in the fleet with both hi-beam and lo-beam HID's. Has been that way since introduction. The TL has always recieved the technology of the RL even the previous generation.

What's more is that the current MDX is trumped in all ways but two by the NG Pilot. The MDX has 300HP and AWD. That's it. Every other way the Pilot is superior. If you can live with the looks, lack of HID's, and NavTraffic, the Pilot Touring is the best deal going.

MDX, RL, and current TL all have real aluminum trim. The TSX & RDX recieve painted look alikes. Even more interesting is the fact that the TL is the only car in the fleet with both hi-beam and lo-beam HID's. Has been that way since introduction. The TL has always recieved the technology of the RL even the previous generation.

What's more is that the current MDX is trumped in all ways but two by the NG Pilot. The MDX has 300HP and AWD. That's it. Every other way the Pilot is superior. If you can live with the looks, lack of HID's, and NavTraffic, the Pilot Touring is the best deal going.

you're forgetting styling, although the Pilot wins for 'best impersonation of an old isuzu trooper in an anime full feature' award, hands down.

you're forgetting styling, although the Pilot wins for 'best impersonation of an old isuzu trooper in an anime full feature' award, hands down.

Yes...the MDX looks slick and premium...the Pilot looks like the bland family hauler it is.

The MDX has more luxury features, a more powerful engine, luxurious interior, and sh-awd. You could say the Malibu is better than the CTS because the CTS only has power, RWD, and luxury features going for it. The same can be said about any luxury vs mainstream comparison.

Edit: You also don't get Acura total care service with the Pilot, or the ELS surround sound system.

Edited by siegen

The MDX has more luxury features, a more powerful engine, luxurious interior, and sh-awd. You could say the Malibu is better than the CTS because the CTS only has power, RWD, and luxury features going for it. The same can be said about any luxury vs mainstream comparison.

Edit: You also don't get Acura total care service with the Pilot, or the ELS surround sound system.

I have compared both. We are in the market for either of them. As a current owner of a TSX, I was impressed by the difference in quality between an Accord similarly equiped and an Acura. However, this time the Pilot stacks up better if you remove design from the equation. Sincerely, the rear interior of the Acura is covered with rat fur cloth while the Pilot recieves carpet and more tasteful and usefull plastic. The rear of an MDX has 2 seats, Pilot 3. No vents for rear occupants in the Acura. The wood-like material on the dash is plastic unless you opt for the sport model then you recive aluminum only on the center stack and cup holder. The touring model has acoustical glass on sound deadening just like the MDX. The Pilot recieves rear sunshades which the MDX does not offer. The MDX does not feature a 112V outlet in the center console, the Pilot does. The Acura does not feature front park assist the Pilot does. Power liftgate is not standard however, Pilot Touring it is. Upper hatch does not open on the MDX, Pilot it does. Luggage rack is not standard on MDX, Pilot it is. The list of features that the MDX does have that the Pilot doesn't is this (exclud. style):

Power tilt and telescope wheel;

HID Lo-Beams;

XM NavTraffic;

300HP 3.7L;

SH-AWD;

That is it. I love Acura and I love the dealership experience BUT this time Honda cheapened up the MDX. You should be able to match or beat every feature on the Acura for the $7-$9k premium. Don't get me wrong, I hope Honda fixes it and the guy at the Acura dealership swears that they are.

I have compared both. We are in the market for either of them. As a current owner of a TSX, I was impressed by the difference in quality between an Accord similarly equiped and an Acura. However, this time the Pilot stacks up better if you remove design from the equation. Sincerely, the rear interior of the Acura is covered with rat fur cloth while the Pilot recieves carpet and more tasteful and usefull plastic. The rear of an MDX has 2 seats, Pilot 3. No vents for rear occupants in the Acura. The wood-like material on the dash is plastic unless you opt for the sport model then you recive aluminum only on the center stack and cup holder. The touring model has acoustical glass on sound deadening just like the MDX. The Pilot recieves rear sunshades which the MDX does not offer. The MDX does not feature a 112V outlet in the center console, the Pilot does. The Acura does not feature front park assist the Pilot does. Power liftgate is not standard however, Pilot Touring it is. Upper hatch does not open on the MDX, Pilot it does. Luggage rack is not standard on MDX, Pilot it is. The list of features that the MDX does have that the Pilot doesn't is this (exclud. style):

Power tilt and telescope wheel;

HID Lo-Beams;

XM NavTraffic;

300HP 3.7L;

SH-AWD;

That is it. I love Acura and I love the dealership experience BUT this time Honda cheapened up the MDX. You should be able to match or beat every feature on the Acura for the $7-$9k premium. Don't get me wrong, I hope Honda fixes it and the guy at the Acura dealership swears that they are.

Luxury cars always cost more than they are economically worth when compared to mainstream cars. If you are comparing which makes more economic or practical sense, the non-luxury brand always wins. The MDX offers more features than you're giving it credit for, but what it really comes down to is if you are willing to spend more for a luxury vehicle knowing that you are paying more for the same number of features.

You can list "300HP V6" and "SH-AWD" as features, but it's far more than that. Does the Pilot deliver even close to the driving experience of the MDX? If these things don't matter to you, and it sounds like they don't, then the Pilot is the obvious choice. The MDX was not tuned on the Nürburgring so it could match the Pilot in features and price.

Luxury cars always cost more than they are economically worth when compared to mainstream cars. If you are comparing which makes more economic or practical sense, the non-luxury brand always wins. The MDX offers more features than you're giving it credit for, but what it really comes down to is if you are willing to spend more for a luxury vehicle knowing that you are paying more for the same number of features.

You can list "300HP V6" and "SH-AWD" as features, but it's far more than that. Does the Pilot deliver even close to the driving experience of the MDX? If these things don't matter to you, and it sounds like they don't, then the Pilot is the obvious choice. The MDX was not tuned on the Nürburgring so it could match the Pilot in features and price.

Truthfully man I have to say that I love Acura and went the to Acura dealer first. After a drive in the MDX I thought it was neat, we even took it home but... for grins we tried out the new Pilot. Sure, the interior design isn't quite as nice but, it IS STILL very nice. Handling was similar unless you pushed it hard into corners (the advantage of SH-AWD) but, other than that even the suspension setups are the EXACT same UNLESS you spare for the MDX Sport which features active dampers to change ride and handeling characteristics but, even still... the last MDX was every bit a cut above the Pilot offering feature you just could not get on the pilot (i.e. nav until the '06 model change). I LOVE Acura but... even the Acura dealer acknowledged the Pilot had it beat this year. Apparently though, there is an MCE next year for the MDX that should fix all of the "deficiencies" I mentioned. Oh and... the TSX desiel is real, apparently it was shown to the dealers when they previewed the new TL.

Truthfully man I have to say that I love Acura and went the to Acura dealer first. After a drive in the MDX I thought it was neat, we even took it home but... for grins we tried out the new Pilot. Sure, the interior design isn't quite as nice but, it IS STILL very nice. Handling was similar unless you pushed it hard into corners (the advantage of SH-AWD) but, other than that even the suspension setups are the EXACT same UNLESS you spare for the MDX Sport which features active dampers to change ride and handeling characteristics but, even still... the last MDX was every bit a cut above the Pilot offering feature you just could not get on the pilot (i.e. nav until the '06 model change). I LOVE Acura but... even the Acura dealer acknowledged the Pilot had it beat this year. Apparently though, there is an MCE next year for the MDX that should fix all of the "deficiencies" I mentioned. Oh and... the TSX desiel is real, apparently it was shown to the dealers when they previewed the new TL.

The new Pilot sounds like a pretty big improvement over the old.

If I may ask, are you keeping your TSX or trading it in for a crossover? I may be purchasing an '09 or '10 TSX soon, depending on if rumors of a V6 materialize. I may try out the diesel too, not sure if I'll like it. :scratchchin:

ELS.....is that what Acura is calling the Civic rebadge nowadays up there in CA?

ELS.....is that what Acura is calling the Civic rebadge nowadays up there in CA?

As it said in the post, ELS is a surround sound system. The CSX is the Canadian Acura Civic. I wonder if it will get the new shield grille style like the new TSX and TL.

Well ya better go sit in one. :neenerneener:

My 6'3" friend said there was plenty of room, even with me (the driver) having the seat back for me to be comfortable. My 5'11" friend in the passenger seat could stretch his legs completely forward and the guy behind him (sale guys) wasn't complaining (nor would he anyway). I was also very pleasantly surprised by the width increase, as two people can share the middle arm rest now without touching at all. It felt noticeably larger inside than the '08, and I liked the controls better as they seemed better placed.

OK, siegen, I went and sat in one today. Same problems with rear legroom that were in the '08. :neenerneener: yourself. :lol:

I put the driver's seat where I would be comfortable and then climbed in and sat in the seat behind it. Took a lot of work to get my left foot into the door, and then I almost had to sit sideways to give my legs space.

But aside from driving impressions (I have none of the TSX to date), there's nothing bad I can say about the car.

This will have a much harder time standing up to the new CTS than the old one could to the old CTS. The new CTS has improved dramatically and has upped the style quotient.

The TL "update" is the modern interpretation of this update of yore:

1954StudebakerCommanderStarliner.jpg

1955%20studebaker%20president.JPG

This will have a much harder time standing up to the new CTS than the old one could to the old CTS. The new CTS has improved dramatically and has upped the style quotient.

The TL "update" is the modern interpretation of this update of yore:

1954StudebakerCommanderStarliner.jpg

1955%20studebaker%20president.JPG

Nice Studebaker pics...and I would MUCH rather have the CTS than the Acura.

Chris

21kl15d.jpg

Just a quick jab... :wink: you know if the Import guys

saw a photo like this of a (Cadillac/Buick/Chevy)

this same basic argument would be made... it

would NOT be lighting or what ever other

excuse you can come up with, it's obviously

poor build/paint quality.

Now THAT is funny... cause it's true! :lol:

The new Pilot is about as handsome from

head on as an inbred, crosseyed bulldog

on crack... with a dunce cap.

Aaand then you see that front overhang

which answers the question "can it get

any more unattractive?" with a clear &

resounding YES IT CAN!!!

The new TL is a very large advancement over the old, which was already a great car. I have a feeling the opposite of what you say will be true.

Differences in exterior styling between the CTS new and old is not that dramatic.

The new TL is a very large advancement over the old, which was already a great car. I have a feeling the opposite of what you say will be true.

Differences in exterior styling between the CTS new and old is not that dramatic.

The TL looks basically like the old one but with a big chrome shield on the front. The styling exercises that Acura is doing now are dubious at best and fatal at worst. The new vehicles look too much like the old ones with lots of bling tacked on. My '54/'55 Studebaker update comparison stands.

The CTS is already selling very well even in a severely slumping economy.

Hmmmm.... very valid argument Oldsmoboi,

so I guess in three or four years we'll see a Stude-packard... or Packard-baker. :P

Mr. Lawrence, the "Old Man River" looking gentleman who

sold me my '59 LeSabre had a '58 Packard winter beater

it was rotted so bad it was almost unrecognizable... having

been parked two years earlier, it was not a Hawk but a '58

Packard 2dr post (what ever it woud have been called)

Looked almost like this: (except with 975lbs. of iron-oxide)

bischoff_KH.jpg

If ever there was an ugly as sin 2dr hardtop from '58.... :(

Hmmmm.... very valid argument Oldsmoboi,

so I guess in three or four years we'll see a Stude-packard... or Packard-baker. :P

Mr. Lawrence, the "Old Man River" looking gentleman who

sold me my '59 LeSabre had a '58 Packard winter beater

it was rotted so bad it was almost unrecognizable... having

been parked two years earlier, it was not a Hawk but a '58

Packard 2dr post (what ever it woud have been called)

Looked almost like this: (except with 975lbs. of iron-oxide)

bischoff_KH.jpg

If ever there was an ugly as sin 2dr hardtop from '58.... :(

That thing is still better looking than that Acura!

Chris

The TL looks basically like the old one but with a big chrome shield on the front. The styling exercises that Acura is doing now are dubious at best and fatal at worst. The new vehicles look too much like the old ones with lots of bling tacked on. My '54/'55 Studebaker update comparison stands.

The CTS is already selling very well even in a severely slumping economy.

That's funny, the CTS looks basically like the old one with a different grille. I bet a typical non-car person would not even be able to tell the two apart from the rear 3/4 view. Honestly, when I first saw it, I had to look it up to see if it was an MMC or actually a FMC.

But that's ok, it's good that GM didn't screw up a good thing.

The only thing on the new TL that even vaguely resembles the old model are the head lights.

2009_tl_compare_front.jpg

2009_tl_compare_rear.jpg

2009_tl_compare_side.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the new TL, but I have to agree with Siegen. The differences are a big reason why I don't like it as much as the outgoing one. The CTS is only a departure on the inside. Everything else was mostly evolutionary, and it's not a bad thing. Meanwhile, the new TL looks like something other than an Acura. Sort of looks like a Nissan that was designed to be used in the Transformers. I like certain aspects, but they dont work well together with many design issues.

One design aspect of the new TL I strongly don't like is the C-pillar, esp. the poorly executed door upper cutline. The BMW-like kink in the C-pillar is a predictable cliche today, seen on everything from the Altima and Maxima, to the G35 to the MKS and Accord and others...at least the previous car had a distinctive greenhouse.