Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Where to begin, well simply at the beginning, this trip had been planned for quite a while. We left Delaware and headed south on I-81 picking it up in West Virginia. Drove the 1st day to Knoxville, TN where my wife's sister lives and where the PCS 1st gave us trouble with the key locking or being grabbed by the ignition. Had AAA come and get the key out, on to Texas the next day. Always like to see those warning signs on I-10, for alligators. Stayed a few days at my mother's in Texas, we had a great visit with her. I seem to miss Texas a little more as time goes by. But wouldn't you know it the key issue reared it's ugly head again in Texas the night before we left, this time I fixed it, or so it seems, since it didn't give us another problem so far. Left Texas and moved on to Las Vegas, I was hoping for a little luck in Vegas, since the PCS was averaging anywhere from 11 - 13 MPG, I won a little not a lot but left with more than I came with, which is always a plus. Then on to California. This is where our plans went to hell in a hand cart, we were all over Cali, my wife just couldn't get enough of it, and yes we had our 1st earthquake experience. We eventually crossed over the border into Mexico and headed south into Baja California on MEX-1, Baja is one beautiful place. However we lost our laptop in Baja when my daughter through her own neglect allowed the laptop to get wet, and not just wet, but in salt water no less, the machine tried to work, but more often than not would not boot up and made strange noises. This left me with just my iPhone. I was not happy.

We headed north after about 3 days in Baja, back into the US, the border crossing back into the USA was a 2 hour affair, with 3/4ths of that just sitting in traffic. We then proceeded up the Pacific Coast Highway, beautiful scenery all along the way. We eventually made it to Oregon, spent the night there and the next day exploring the local sites of Portland. Then started to head East/South East on I-84 into Idaho. We ended up in Ketchum, ID, where we did some mountain and trail biking, one of my passions in life. We spent the next day in Craters of the Moon Nat'l Monument just resting up for the long haul East. We took I-84 to I-80 East.

We saw a American Bald eagle sitting in a tree in Wyoming, truly an impressive sight. We also crossed over the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming, as we went higher in elevation the PCS temperature gauge slowly started to rise too, I was relieved as we started to go down the other the side of the Rockies. I've always flown over them but never driven through them, they reminded me of the Andes in Quito, Ecuador. The next few days we went through Nebraska (FLATTTTTTT), Iowa (CORNNNN). We bypassed Chicago, I didn't like the looks of that traffic, and we spent the night in Gary, Indiana, home of the Jackson 5. :smilewide: We moved on to Detroit the next day where we spent some quality time with some friends of ours. Our laptop was replaced in Detroit and I have to say, always back your data up to a Network drive, by doing so, I saved my ass. :yes:

We have moved through Ontario, Canada and we are now in Montréal, Quebec, Canada. We just love the old city. We are heading south tomorrow into NY state and eventually to Long Island, NY to see my In-Laws (Out-Laws), then on to Delaware, before returning back to work. :nono:

There is so much, to see in North America, if you get the chance, go out and see it. It's spectacular, people for the most part are warm and friendly and curious, the PCS has Street Rod plates which is Delaware's version of antique plates. I got many comments about the car and the plate and about Delaware, one man said he loved Delaware, it has all those mountains. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I have been wondering why it has been so quiet around here ...

That's because I was holding my breath as we went over the Rockies, I had my mechanic add a temp gauge to the car in preparation for this trip, I was worried about the desert but had no issues there, the Rockies was the real test, and she almost overheated. I never like the idiot light that just lights up after it's already too late. Besides how could i get a word in edgewise with two women in the car. :smilewide:

That's because I was holding my breath as we went over the Rockies, I had my mechanic add a temp gauge to the car in preparation for this trip, I was worried about the desert but had no issues there, the Rockies was the real test, and she almost overheated. I never like the idiot light that just lights up after it's already too late. Besides how could i get a word in edgewise with two women in the car. :smilewide:

Hmmm ... good point! :lol:

Glad to hear you are having a good trip, PCS. I would love to take a cross-country trip sometime in the future myself; I've always wanted to visit Oregon. Sorry to hear about the laptop, though.

I took off from Maryland in my '92 Golf (which turned out to be quite the little intrepid traveler) in late August of that year, planning on driving to Seattle. I had no official itinerary, however, except to stay in Motel 6s every night of the trip. I took my little dog, Meggie. We made it to Denver, up into Fort Collins where we stayed the night, then took a short excursion into Wyoming before turning around and heading back south, through Texass, and back the southern route eastbound. It was a fun trip, I'd like to do it again sometime. I'd recommend a long-ass road trip to anyone, it helps a person appreciate the huge, beautiful country we live in. Not a place for wimpy, uncomfortable vehicles. Edited by ocnblu

I took off from Maryland in my '92 Golf (which turned out to be quite the little intrepid traveler) in late August of that year, planning on driving to Seattle. I had no official itinerary, however, except to stay in Motel 6s every night of the trip. I took my little dog, Meggie. We made it to Denver, up into Fort Collins where we stayed the night, then took a short excursion into Wyoming before turning around and heading back south, through Texass, and back the southern route eastbound. It was a fun trip, I'd like to do it again sometime. I'd recommend a long-ass road trip to anyone, it helps a person appreciate the huge, beautiful country we live in. Not a place for wimpy, uncomfortable vehicles.

I love road trips...I take plenty of CDs, water, Red Bull, Starbucks doubleshots, and snacks. I took many 1000-1500 mile trips in the '88-99 time frame in my '87 Mustang GT--very comfortable and fast, and since 2000 have taken several around the West in my '00 Grand Cherokee (very comfortable for long hauls) and one unplanned drive from San Jose, CA to Denver in an '04 Impala rental. I really want to do the coast to coast sometime. I suspect my next long haul drive will be in the Jeep when I escape Arizona.

I love road trips...I take plenty of CDs, water, Red Bull, Starbucks doubleshots, and snacks. I took many 1000-1500 mile trips in the '88-99 time frame in my '87 Mustang GT--very comfortable and fast, and since 2000 have taken several around the West in my '00 Grand Cherokee (very comfortable for long hauls) and one unplanned drive from San Jose, CA to Denver in an '04 Impala rental. I really want to do the coast to coast sometime. I suspect my next long haul drive will be in the Jeep when I escape Arizona.

Oh that reminds me, the PCS has an 8 track player, which was added and no FM radio. How 60/70's! :smilewide:

Oh that reminds me, the PCS has an 8 track player, which was added and no FM radio. How 60/70's! :smilewide:

Heh-heh... my '87 GT came with a factory AM/FM w/ cassette deck...replaced that with a Sony CD player back in '95. My '69 Mustang has only a factory AM radio...but with that car, listening to the dual exhaust 351 Windsor is plenty enough.

I took off from Maryland in my '92 Golf (which turned out to be quite the little intrepid traveler) in late August of that year, planning on driving to Seattle. I had no official itinerary, however, except to stay in Motel 6s every night of the trip. I took my little dog, Meggie. We made it to Denver, up into Fort Collins where we stayed the night, then took a short excursion into Wyoming before turning around and heading back south, through Texass, and back the southern route eastbound. It was a fun trip, I'd like to do it again sometime. I'd recommend a long-ass road trip to anyone, it helps a person appreciate the huge, beautiful country we live in. Not a place for wimpy, uncomfortable vehicles.

True.

If my wife talks me into visting WV next tear, I'm renting a Crown Vic....

I couldn't handle that many hours in her Cavalier..... :banghead:

Where to begin, well simply at the beginning, this trip had been planned for quite a while. We left Delaware and headed south on I-81 picking it up in West Virginia. Drove the 1st day to Knoxville, TN where my wife's sister lives and where the PCS 1st gave us trouble with the key locking or being grabbed by the ignition. Had AAA come and get the key out, on to Texas the next day. Always like to see those warning signs on I-10, for alligators. Stayed a few days at my mother's in Texas, we had a great visit with her. I seem to miss Texas a little more as time goes by. But wouldn't you know it the key issue reared it's ugly head again in Texas the night before we left, this time I fixed it, or so it seems, since it didn't give us another problem so far. Left Texas and moved on to Las Vegas, I was hoping for a little luck in Vegas, since the PCS was averaging anywhere from 11 - 13 MPG, I won a little not a lot but left with more than I came with, which is always a plus. Then on to California. This is where our plans went to hell in a hand cart, we were all over Cali, my wife just couldn't get enough of it, and yes we had our 1st earthquake experience. We eventually crossed over the border into Mexico and headed south into Baja California on MEX-1, Baja is one beautiful place. However we lost our laptop in Baja when my daughter through her own neglect allowed the laptop to get wet, and not just wet, but in salt water no less, the machine tried to work, but more often than not would not boot up and made strange noises. This left me with just my iPhone. I was not happy.

We headed north after about 3 days in Baja, back into the US, the border crossing back into the USA was a 2 hour affair, with 3/4ths of that just sitting in traffic. We then proceeded up the Pacific Coast Highway, beautiful scenery all along the way. We eventually made it to Oregon, spent the night there and the next day exploring the local sites of Portland. Then started to head East/South East on I-84 into Idaho. We ended up in Ketchum, ID, where we did some mountain and trail biking, one of my passions in life. We spent the next day in Craters of the Moon Nat'l Monument just resting up for the long haul East. We took I-84 to I-80 East.

We saw a American Bald eagle sitting in a tree in Wyoming, truly an impressive sight. We also crossed over the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming, as we went higher in elevation the PCS temperature gauge slowly started to rise too, I was relieved as we started to go down the other the side of the Rockies. I've always flown over them but never driven through them, they reminded me of the Andes in Quito, Ecuador. The next few days we went through Nebraska (FLATTTTTTT), Iowa (CORNNNN). We bypassed Chicago, I didn't like the looks of that traffic, and we spent the night in Gary, Indiana, home of the Jackson 5. :smilewide: We moved on to Detroit the next day where we spent some quality time with some friends of ours. Our laptop was replaced in Detroit and I have to say, always back your data up to a Network drive, by doing so, I saved my ass. :yes:

We have moved through Ontario, Canada and we are now in Montréal, Quebec, Canada. We just love the old city. We are heading south tomorrow into NY state and eventually to Long Island, NY to see my In-Laws (Out-Laws), then on to Delaware, before returning back to work. :nono:

There is so much, to see in North America, if you get the chance, go out and see it. It's spectacular, people for the most part are warm and friendly and curious, the PCS has Street Rod plates which is Delaware's version of antique plates. I got many comments about the car and the plate and about Delaware, one man said he loved Delaware, it has all those mountains. :smilewide:

well PCS, i depends if those pushing the end of personal transport and all this walkable communities stuff, taking your cars away, etc....how is one supposed to get around and see it? MASS TRANSIT? lol

Your whole trip sounds pretty great, but I hope you especially enjoyed your time in Wyoming...most people don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do, granted I've lived in Rawlins and Laramie my whole life...I think the I-80 corridor is a bad representation of what Wyoming is really about though...

Your whole trip sounds pretty great, but I hope you especially enjoyed your time in Wyoming...most people don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do, granted I've lived in Rawlins and Laramie my whole life...I think the I-80 corridor is a bad representation of what Wyoming is really about though...

I'd like to see more of Wyoming...in my 11 years in Colorado, I drove across I-80 and back to SLC a couple of times...pretty barren.

I'd like to see more of Wyoming...in my 11 years in Colorado, I drove across I-80 and back to SLC a couple of times...pretty barren.

Two states I wanted to see but just could not work it in my trip this year, were Washington and Montana. Maybe next time, I will have to see what next year brings. I'm thinking of going to Rome and southern Italy next year. I also want to go to Iceland and do a biking tour of the country, before I get too old.

My whole trip was fun, well except being at my IN-LAWS, other than that yeah, loved Wyoming.

:scratchchin:

Hmmm, pro-touring in a restored Colonnade...

Very tempting.

Hmmm...how about a '73 Chevelle SS or '75 Laguna, done pro-touring style with a Baldwin-Motion style L88 hood, BM graphics, but big modern wheels/tires, brakes, and a crate LS1?

Hmmm...how about a '73 Chevelle SS or '75 Laguna, done pro-touring style with a Baldwin-Motion style L88 hood, BM graphics, but big modern wheels/tires, brakes, and a crate LS1?

Well, I already have two Colonnades to choose from - although your suggestions would be fun too.

I'm thinking the Project Camino all finished including a new Ramjet 350. I need to have it done for the 50th anniversary celebration at Carlisle in June of '09 anyway. :AH-HA_wink:

• 4 weeks later...
It sounds like fun-between you and knightfan, I really want to go on a roadtrip now.... :yes:

Ah...yes. If only I could road trip 24/7, I'd be one heck of a happy camper! he he.

Road trips are AMAZINGLY wonderful ... especially when you mix scenic views in with meeting people all over the place ;).

Looks like a great trip, PCS! Too bad you skipped Chicagoland, though....