Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spied: 2010 GMC Terrain

Hooray for rebadges. Shape looks awfully similar to the Equinox, 9-4x, SRX. We definitely need 4 mid size cross overs to go with the 4 Lambda full size brand imaged cross overs. They better make a Buick version too.

Crossovers are down 21% this year, and GM is bringing 4 more out. Where are the cars? Oh right, "they are coming in 2 years"

The "Terrain" is far from compact. It should be at least as big as the Torrent, and that is just as long as the Highlander and Pilot, and in HFV6 form, almost as expensive. The new model should be wider and could easily accommodate a third row (Suzuki does on the old lwb version, GM does it quite nicely on the swb Captiva). A new truck 4-cylinder (Toyota is offering 2.5 and 2.7-L fours in competition) will be the base engine, and a DI HFV6 will be the premium option.

Crossovers are not down 21% this year.

Despite gas prices, lower compact crossovers are down 29%, but then it's a small segment that's never been popular—just the Sportage, Element and Tucson.

True compacts are up 5.5%, led by the HHR and new models such as the Patriot and Rogue. The segment leaders, the larger CR-V and the smaller Escape are basically on par with last year.

Midsize crossovers are down just 3%, despite the fact that last year's leader (the Honda Pilot, which actually lost its crown in the latter half of 2007) is down 21.5%, victim of an all-too successful association with true SUVs such as the Explorer and Trailblazer.

Even fullsize crossovers are down only 10.5 %, despite big declines for some models with higher gas prices. Credit the Enclave, sales of which are growing despite the price of gas, and which wasn't available all last year; likewise the CX-9, although monthly sales are down compared to last year it too wasn't available for the full year; the Acadia, despite increased competition and a drop in demand for such large vehicles, is also up this year, by 6%; and the Flex has helped offset some of the decline in Taurus X sales (some of which it has caused).

Compact luxury crossovers are down 27%, but there's not a lot of volume there, and well-publicized future entries such as the XC60 and Q5 are surely partly responsible, together with the lower-midsize EX35 (which is really more a hatchback than an SUV).

Midsize luxury crossovers, from the EX through to the upper-premium X6 and Cayenne are down just 9%, despite larger declines by some of the volume models (XC90, RX and MDX). The EX has more than made up for stolen FX sales; the Cayenne, despite a late collapse, is up 4.5%, and sales of the MKX and X5 are down an insignificant amount.

It's SUVs that are really hurting. The only volume models to post gains are the Mercedes GL (flat for the year but recently outselling the Escalade) and ML and the Toyota Sequoia (up from last year's nadir). Sales of the Durango were decimated last month, down 86%!! The LX and LandCruiser are showing big gains, but so far this year have sold less than most competitors still sell in a month. If a dealer sells even one he's doubled sales from last year.

WOW, to have sales on a vehicle fall 86% when it is not due for imminent replacement with a publicized new model is horrible. It will be interesting to watch sales figures if gasoline continues its downward price trend, however. Are Americans TRULY weaned off our big, comfortable cruisers, or are we just waiting for gas prices to fall further? I'll tell you what, I would NOT want to be a product planner with such volatile fuel prices.

WOW, to have sales on a vehicle fall 86% when it is not due for imminent replacement with a publicized new model is horrible. It will be interesting to watch sales figures if gasoline continues its downward price trend, however. Are Americans TRULY weaned off our big, comfortable cruisers, or are we just waiting for gas prices to fall further? I'll tell you what, I would NOT want to be a product planner with such volatile fuel prices.

I think it's the combination of the gas prices and economy. I wonder if when the economy rebounds people will go back to big. I wouldn't buy an SUV or truck, but I would consider a big car, since cars get better mileage..

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any new or updated information on the 2010 GMC Terrain to share?

I watched the video on the Edmunds link above and it stated that we'll see the GMC Terrain at a 2009 <unspecified> auto show with an on-sale date of Fall, 2009. I'm just curious if there's been any new developments with this vehicle.

TIA!

exactly. imagine all the hair pulling going on. If you hedge your bets and go small, at least if it does go big in the market again, you can still sell the smaller car because the prices will be cheaper and people will always buy a good bargain. Trying to unload bigger cars that are overpriced is a bigger risk right now.

Hmmm, I love ice cream but on my low carb diet I don't eat it, however when I see ice cream signs I do look at them. This ice cream sign caught my attention, then the car below it did, I can't tell what is is on my small laptop screen, can anyone else tell me what it is?

gmc.terrain.red505.jpg

Hmmm..that looks like the Kia large sedan concept that's been posted on here before..has a very Lexus ES-like roofline.

Hmmm, I love ice cream but on my low carb diet I don't eat it, however when I see ice cream signs I do look at them. This ice cream sign caught my attention, then the car below it did, I can't tell what is is on my small laptop screen, can anyone else tell me what it is?

gmc.terrain.red505.jpg

It, and especially the camouflage, reminds me of some of the LaCrosse prototype photos we've seen before.

Personally, I can't wait to see the official release photos of the 2010 GMC Terrain (I am disappointed that GM showed the Chevy Equinox and not the GMC Terrain too). Right now the Pontiac Torrent and Saturn VUE are on the top of my shopping list for next November when the AURA lease expires. Both have their pros and cons with me, and I can overlook some of them with the addition of the GMC model.

On a side note, I've noticed that the Terrain does have a different frontend design over the Equinox, one IMHO that looks a little Sierra-based:

2010GMCTerrainCamoed09-2008.jpg

is yours a GXP? I drove an XL7 a couple weeks ago (semi close cousin) and I couldn't wait to get out of it. I hope the Torrent is much better. I always hated the old Vue and I hated the XL7 even more.

Mine is a 2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD in Purple Haze with only two option chrome PA2 17's (something I had to have) and cruise control (another thing I had to have) the 3.4 is suprisingly peepy and no doubt the 5spd. automatic and the extra cog help it alot tho.

Both look good and I'm liking Terrain.....cargo room and the likely lack of a 3rd row seat on the other hand illustrate how far GM's come on the big Lambda croosovers versus how far they still need to go on their mid-sizers....but they sure are stylish and we'll have to wait and see!