Phantoms

What about merging the two threads, Phantoms and this should be mine? I'll take a 87 El-Camino pick em up with an SS front end, but made into a convertible, like GM did with a (1965, I believe) El Camino for a show car.

I would much rather actually have THAT than a Prius.

Oh, and did you know that all Prius come with navigation systems? They drive themselves from one self righteous destination to another...

Chris

Mmmm..rice. I think I may have a Thai curry w/ rice for dinner. Or chicken fried rice. Or some basmati rice with kebabs.

I wish I still lived in either Atlanta or Chicago, great ethnic food both places!

Seriously, I think it says something that there are no really crative ways to modify most Asian cars.

Chris

Oh, and did you know that all Prius come with navigation systems? They drive themselves from one self righteous destination to another...

Chris

My coworkers with Priuses laugh when I refer to them as a 'Pious'...

Well, the kiddies hop up '92 Civics because that is what is readily available. In the real world, there aren't any '79 Sunbirds..I can't remember how many years it's been since I've seen such an animal. The Civic is to the younger generation what the 5.0 Mustang was to my generation.

Yup.... 2008 sucks, there's not too many cheap '67 Camaros,

let alone '32 Fords kicking around, there's a LOT of truth in

your statement, however it's NOT entirely true.

In the past three years I've found dozens of cars that YOU

guys on this forum would consider extinct, like an unmolested

'62 Buick Special, not one but TWO '84 Datsun Maxima sedans,

both with the 5-speed manual trans., dirt cheap RWD luxury

yachts both classic (Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles...) & contemporary

like my current MB & the Infiniti Q45...

But most of today's kids can't think outside the box, just like

their Camry driving parents they aim LOW even when they aim

HIGH. Avalons and Ford 500s are NOT cars to aspire to, even

if you grew up poor you can have higher standards than that.

CAR fanatics should be people who think outside the box, not

go with convention and just do like their neighbors.

The world needs another Civic with a cold air intake & oversized

turbo like I need a hole in my head!

I always call it a "pr-ISSS" like Opie and Anthony.

(Anthony drives a Cadillac Escalade BTW)

----

NOw as far as that "Prius Convertible" it's not a convertible

if it has not only FRAMED doors but $% permanent roof

structure from the top of the b-pillars!

It's like a "pseudo-webasto-roof" sardine-can special like

some French pile of garbage from the 1970s.

Some of those members of that PriSSS forum are grade-A morons!

Typical Toyopet-humpers!

WHATZ a PHUNERAL KOACH!?

What about merging the two threads, Phantoms and this should be mine? I'll take a 87 El-Camino pick em up with an SS front end, but made into a convertible, like GM did with a (1965, I believe) El Camino for a show car.

I would much rather actually have THAT than a Prius.

Chris

Need pics of that '65 vert Camino!

53216923_pr.jpg

The GM divisions toyed around with numerous 4-dr convertibles. ^ '66 Chevy Caribe', XP-834.

Same name, different take - how many had heard of the '68 Camaro Caribe' :

camarocaribe_resized.jpg

I hadn't. SO MUCH GM history trickling thru the cracks over the years........ :mad:

Edited by balthazar

I'd like to see a number of extended deck phantoms, either close-coupled or true coupes. '58 or '60 Series 62 or a '64 GP. Picture a 2-dr hardtop '60 Cadillac, but with no rear seat & the backlight moved up 2 feet. Love the short hood / long deck look... ie:

1952%20Packard%20special%20speedster.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Then again, I can't think of any. None that C&G's taste Nazis would appreciate anyway.

There was this company that would advertise in the duPont Registry capable of making a convertible out of just about any coupe or sedan. I've moved on from caring to do that to any car in particular, however.

A Cobalt hatchback.

A Commodore-based '04 Grand Prix instead of the botox-inflated blob that we got, to complement the GTO.

Along the same lines, a GTO with the VZ Commodore front fascia instead of the wimpy Monaro one. I bet that alone would've made it more popular.

I've got so many but I can't think of them all right now.

A Cobalt hatchback.

Or conversely, how about an Astra coupe (meaning the current Cobalt/G5 with an Astra front end, not the old Astra coupe that actually came out the factory)

ETA: For my own idea, I was looking at the Monte Carlo (the final generation) and thought it would make a nice droptop (since there are currently a billion of them out there, and no one would miss one being cut up)

Edited by LosAngeles

but how far does this go i mean What if

- 1974 Caprice Convertible

- 572 ci v8

- 6 speed manual

- C6 Suspension

- Leather Racing seats.

That would be a crazy ass ride that i would do anything to have.

I want to learn about the Monte Carlo Convertibles-first gen. People have built them by crossing Monte's with Chevelles, but were there not a few prototypes or a few released from the factory-I can't remember but it seems like I read something like that a few years ago.

Also, the 66-67 Nova as a ragtop makes a good looking car. I've seen a couple of these custom built as phantoms.

I would also like to see a first gen Camaro with a turbo six, like the Pontiac Firebird Sprint.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

I want to learn about the Monte Carlo Convertibles-first gen. People have built them by crossing Monte's with Chevelles, but were there not a few prototypes or a few released from the factory-I can't remember but it seems like I read something like that a few years ago.

Also, the 66-67 Nova as a ragtop makes a good looking car. I've seen a couple of these custom built as phantoms.

I would also like to see a first gen Camaro with a turbo six, like the Pontiac Firebird Sprint.

Chris

I have a GM accessories catalog that features a first gen Monte convertible on the cover, so I'd say that they nearly made production.

The V12 Caprice had a motor borrowed from a BMW 7.

*Whistles.*

images2.jpg

images3.jpg

YJ, could you please resize those pictures.. I have to scroll all over the place just to view those large suckers!! :neenerneener::P

GM/GMC had me really excited when they showed the Syclone II (and yes, there was even a Typhoon II developed). Word back then was that GM was developing the new turbo & AWD system to be used when the Sonoma was replaced. Geez how quickly that program died out :rolleyes:

YJ, could you please resize those pictures.. I have to scroll all over the place just to view those large suckers!! :neenerneener::P

:smilewide:

Those are the only two photos I can guarantee you'll find of the Syclone II prototype on the internet.

GM/GMC had me really excited when they showed the Syclone II (and yes, there was even a Typhoon II developed). Word back then was that GM was developing the new turbo & AWD system to be used when the Sonoma was replaced. Geez how quickly that program died out :rolleyes:

56k users beware! :rotflmao:

images4.jpg

images5.jpg

images.jpg

The Typhoon II went on to be a SEMA showcar, actually.

You could build your own "second-gen" Sy/Ty. Just use the all-wheel drive system from the Bravada, and install a 4.3L V6 with a turbo and a five-speed, and presto!

Edited by YellowJacket894