Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Let's hear it for a cheap fix!

At least it does not look retarded and has some usefulness. You could put a pair of sunglasses up there or something similar...

I think it cheapens the interior, IMHO. Not good.

I honestly fear for GM anymore. This reminds me of the "old school" GM.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I would prefer HUD.

I like HUD too... I never look at my gauges in the Park Avenue because of it. HUD is one of the reasons I like the STS also.

Interesting that the Camaro is getting it. I wish the Lucerne had it, but I believe the windshield laminate prevents Lucerne from getting HUD.

HUDs are lame.

Yeah... those stupid Fighter Planes.... YF22s are such $h!piles! :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are HUDs lame? :blink:

Yeah... those stupid Fighter Planes.... YF22s are such $h!piles! :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are HUDs lame? :blink:

In a car, it just seems to me to be a gimmick. Like digital gauges were a gimmick. I like clear, conventional gauges.

Right. A hole in the dashboard is so much better.

Please...

Well, given the choice between a place to store a small item and a useless display, I'll take the storage. Either way its a piddling little detail that doesn't affect my opinion of the G8's basic goodness at all.

Well, given the choice between a place to store a small item and a useless display, I'll take the storage. Either way its a piddling little detail that doesn't affect my opinion of the G8's basic goodness at all.

Just wait 'til the press gets ahold of it...

After all, this is the same bunch that berated the Escalade for it's sub par steering wheel telescoping ability.

Just to be clear:

Digital displays/heads up on a Honda or BMW = way cool

Digital displays/heads up on a GM = lame.

just because.

LOL... Yep...

Add that to the ever growing list of niceties the asians seem to rip off from 80s & 90s domestics and not get lambasted for it. You know, like cheap plastics, charcoal gray interiors, crappy 80s design and electronics equipment that sounds like it came out of your grandfathers era.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a classic car show at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership yesterday and one of their 2009 G8 GT was open, so I decided to check out the "new shelf" for myself. I took three pictures:

The first one is of the shelf (it does have a little rubber mat in it to prevent items from moving):

DSCN7702.jpg

The second one has my car & house keys in it for perspective (if you have the same GM key fob, you'll see just how deep it really is):

DSCN7703.jpg

And the third picture has my cell phone in it, as that's what I'd likely keep there, and maybe my iPod too:

DSCN7704.jpg

I attended a classic car show at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership yesterday and one of their 2009 G8 GT was open, so I decided to check out the "new shelf" for myself.

I bet under hard acceleration or braking, any items in there would go flying out, though..needs a little lip around the edge, IMHO.

I attended a classic car show at a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership yesterday and one of their 2009 G8 GT was open, so I decided to check out the "new shelf" for myself. I took three pictures:

The first one is of the shelf (it does have a little rubber mat in it to prevent items from moving):

The second one has my car & house keys in it for perspective (if you have the same GM key fob, you'll see just how deep it really is):

And the third picture has my cell phone in it, as that's what I'd likely keep there, and maybe my iPod too:

Wow, the BEST pictures ANYWHERE of this much talked about and debated hole. Even answered a wonder question of mine about it, hah.

All after I was just looking at a base '09 V6 that was one of the early ones to show up on my dealer's lot, that has the gauge cluster still in the center. Either way, doesn't bother me, though I think I do like the usefulness of a rubber based cubby.

How exactly is an oil pressure gauge 'useless'? And how exactly does do several car 'experts' come to such a conclusion?

Well, in the era of people 1) not knowing what the heck it means, or 2) not caring...it's a new car "I don't care", this is what you end up with.

Always one of my father's biggest pet peeves, a lack of gauges. And I agree. It's good to monitor things from time to time, you know, just because.

I don't know. Now that I've gotten used to the Pontiac "red" glow inside, I really enjoy it, and think I'd miss those center gauges if I got a black hole car.

Here's the 2009 I've looked at still with:

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Not saying either is perfect, but if I can get another readout or gauges, I'll take them. My bigger issue is just the lack of interior color...WOW, is it BLACK in there! Quite a shock to go from my Taupe cloth G6 and then into the above black cave once. Yes, there's red leather available for the GT (tried one of those too), but not enough, and I guess I'm just too averse to the coal bucket, linty, dusty, look inside :rolleyes:

^^Oh...and now that the cluster is gone, where the heck is there a clock readout on base radio cars? Gone?

Well, those were two different displays (base V6 without radio upgrade; V6 with radio upgrade & GT). I'll go out on a limb and say that if the base radio remains then the display remains too; unless the upgraded radio for V6 models is now the standard radio? There was an '09 base V6 on the lot, though I didn;t think about this to check it out.

Not saying either is perfect, but if I can get another readout or gauges, I'll take them. My bigger issue is just the lack of interior color...WOW, is it BLACK in there! Quite a shock to go from my Taupe cloth G6 and then into the above black cave once. Yes, there's red leather available for the GT (tried one of those too), but not enough, and I guess I'm just too averse to the coal bucket, linty, dusty, look inside :rolleyes:

The G8 could benefit from some optional two tone interiors, IMHO...at least some color inserts for the door panels and seats.

I'm stunned at the amount of people in this thread who actually get that nerve-racked about such a small detail.

The car is great, performance is great, looks and handles great. So you lose a small screen in the center of the console, even though your eyes should be fixed to the road while driving...big deal

You could always swap in a screen from the '08 model

If you let things like that affect your car purchases...you need to get out more.

saturnd00d, I actually prefer the storage space to the digital gauges. I was just providing some 'FYI' on the new change for 2009 by taking some pictures to illustrate how deep the space is. Regardless, I'd still buy a G8 whether it had the digital gauges or the storage space! :AH-HA_wink:

I'm stunned at the amount of people in this thread who actually get that nerve-racked about such a small detail.

The car is great, performance is great, looks and handles great. So you lose a small screen in the center of the console, even though your eyes should be fixed to the road while driving...big deal

You could always swap in a screen from the '08 model

If you let things like that affect your car purchases...you need to get out more.

Hah, I completely agree. It's a small detail either way in a terrific "tank" of a car.

I really need to drive one, sometime, just to see...V6 of course.