Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pontiac Names All New Sport Truck The "G8 ST"

Segment-Defining Vehicle on Target for Late 2009 Launch

Pontiac G8 ST at a Glance

Sports car with truck-like cargo and towing capabilities

V8 engine with Active Fuel Management linked to six-speed automatic

74-inch cargo bed and 3,500 lb towing capacity

Estimated fuel economy near top of vehicles with comparable cargo/towing capacity

Available in late 2009 as a 2010 model

Detroit - After sifting through more than 18,000 possibilities, Pontiac has chosen to keep it simple, naming the recently revealed G8 sport truck the “ G8 ST.”

Thousands of fans submitted suggestions during a “Tame the Name” promotion, which delayed a final announcement until each possibility was considered and cleared for possible trademark use.

“Frankly, we were blown away by both the volume and quality of the names that were submitted,” said Craig Bierley, BPG product marketing director for cars and crossovers. “’ G8 ST’ was one of the most popular suggestions, plus we noticed a far broader trend toward simple, easy-to-remember names.”

“El Camino” was also a sentimental favorite, given the G8 ST’s resemblance to the classic Chevy.

“We actually thought very long about El Camino,” said Bierley. “In the end, we felt it was more appropriate to honor the El Camino’s unique place as part of Chevy’s heritage and not use that nameplate on a Pontiac.”

Perhaps the ultimate reflection of the blurring line between cars and trucks, the G8 ST will create a unique niche segment in the marketplace: a sports car with truck-like cargo and towing capabilities. Sharing the basic architecture and 361 hp V8 engine as the G8 GT performance sedan, it will offer a 73.9-inch cargo bed that has 42.7 cubic feet of cargo space and can carry a payload of 1,000 pounds (453 kg) or tow a 3,500-pound (1,587 kg) trailer.

Thanks to its six-speed automatic transmission and Active Fuel Management system, the G8 ST should offer some of the best fuel economy numbers for V8-powered vehicles with similar cargo/towing ratings while still turning in zero-to-60 times of 5.4 seconds.

The G8 ST will be available in late 2009 as a 2010 model and will be backed by GM’s industry best 100,000 mile, 5-year powertrain warranty. Pricing will be announced closer to availability.

CONTACT(S):

Jim Hopson

Pontiac Communications

Phone: 313-667-4124

E-mail: [email protected]

They really should expand on this. There should be a V6 model for lower price tag and fuel economy, and they should make a 4-door version to broaden appeal. It's a chance top make a hit out of the ST as people move away from traditional full-size pickups.

If they can bring them in volume, I agree. If they can't, they may be just as well off to keep it an icon vehicle and stick to the V8, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how it does in sales. I still think it would sell better had it been branded as a Chevy El Camino and used the history as a marketing aspect.

Which would be a valid point if they could build enough to supply the Chevy dealers, but they can't. The production is very limited by Holden's capacity at its one-and-only plant. 10k per year would be about all they can build.

Which would be a valid point if they could build enough to supply the Chevy dealers, but they can't. The production is very limited by Holden's capacity at its one-and-only plant. 10k per year would be about all they can build.

Yes, that is the limiting factor...with out that, and if the economy were stronger, they could probably sell 50k of 'em as Chevys.

i am glad they stuck with ST. best decision in a long time.

10k is all they need to sell.

v6 would be a great way to offer a 'high fuel economy truck'. hope they do it.

just upgrade the v6 please, give it DI so i can move its own weight and give it a 6 speed instead of the piss poor 5 speed in the g8 sedan.

Sounds about right.

And, the Camaro could use a companion product at Oshawa.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Yes...I'm looking forward to seeing it in person...certainly is a unique model right now..

i WILL cry if we dont get the stick version

im in an agreement here, its really necessary for this as well as any product to offer the manual transmission. the public wants fuel efficency, they may enjoy the sporty feel of a manual to acheive better fuel ecconomy.

obviously the percentage of buyers who want a luxuary car to offer an automatic is going to be smaller, but a performance vehicle, or a truck ought to never neglect that option...

compact cars, ought to push the benifits of a standard transmission, as well as many midsize sedans that arent to classy, for example, chevy malibu ought to emphasize the manual, and make consumers pay for auto's, where as a buick lacross might emphasize the smoothness and luxuary of the epsilons II's 6 speed auto.

hopefully that option is a no brainer to GM, but GM tries to invent value by taking away things consumers sometimes might prefer...

"we used to make cars for everyone, now we specialize in making one car for you, which one would you enjoy most?"

It's high time for real, honest to goodness manual transmission to come back.

THERE IS NO BETTER, MORE EFFICIENT TRANS, PERIOD!

It's 2008, like it or not MPG is KING!

V6 + manual WOULD sell, there's no question.

As far as the "ST" name: :yuck: Alphabet soup sux.

Yes, some automatics are matching or beating the mileage of their manual counterparts. But not in a significant way.

And on vehicles like this, that hardly matters.

What does matter is performance and fun factor, and in that department the automatic just doesn't cut it.

I really want one of these, but without a manual, it will be no sale.

Well shoot... "TA-DAA!"... not. It's the right name for this vehicle, who were they kidding with this silly contest? I'd really like to see that 3.6L DI V6 engine choice reg is asking for, as well.

It's like when you go to a rock concert and the band tells the audience that they're also a part of the band. It's a attempt to add a glimmer of hope into our otherwise pathetic lives :P

uhm.... lately there have been automatics that have been getting better MPG than manuals in the same car.....

just sayin....

True dat, but given that 1) the G8's main demographic is enthusiasts, many of whom like to row their own, and 2) the freaking manual is already available for both powertrains on the Commodore, not offering a manual option on non-GXP G8s is a pretty silly thing to do. Every one of them would sell.

Gee - I'd have thought that the Caballero would have worked out nicely - especially since B-P-GMC is now under one roof anyway (and I wonder how many would remember that as a GMC product, anyway...).

And I hope they at least have an extended-cab version (I know the original is a 2-seater), but it'll broaden the appeal somewhat if it could carry more than one passenger. I do remember seeing a crew-cab (Holden Crewman) version of it:

Holden_SS_73_1024x768.jpg

Edited by traumadog

Gee - I'd have thought that the Caballero would have worked out nicely - especially since B-P-GMC is now under one roof anyway (and I wonder how many would remember that as a GMC product, anyway...).

And I hope they at least have an extended-cab version (I know the original is a 2-seater), but it'll broaden the appeal somewhat if it could carry more than one passenger. I do remember seeing a crew-cab version of it somewhere, though.

There was a crew cab version that was a GMC concept at an auto show earlier this year, IIRC..but it had totally different sheetmetal.

Edited by moltar

And I hope they at least have an extended-cab version (I know the original is a 2-seater), but it'll broaden the appeal somewhat if it could carry more than one passenger. I do remember seeing a crew-cab (Holden Crewman) version of it:

Holden_SS_73_1024x768.jpg

That's a last gen, so far none of this gen have been announced or built.

So If they Offer a Diesel Variant will it be called STD?

Sorry, I had too.

Also In 0-60 times autos are quicker which is what they bloated in the GTO. But a manual stripper can knock a couple K's off the price tag making it more of a success. Also most people love sticks.