Pebble Beach: 2010 Cadillac SRX debuts

For release: Aug. 15, 2008, 12:01 a.m. EDT

SNEAK PREVIEW: 2010 CADILLAC SRX CROSSOVER

All-New, Next-Generation SRX Coming in 2009

SRX_01.jpg

SRX_02.jpg

SRX_03.jpg

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Today Cadillac provided a special sneak preview of the next-generation SRX Crossover, a 2010 model that will launch worldwide in mid-2009.The all-new SRX is intended to bring a more dynamic alternative to the heart of the luxury crossover segment, featuring a fresh iteration of Cadillac’s signature design language.

“The next-generation SRX is the result of the continued exploration and refining of Cadillac design language, with the goal of creating dramatic presence in the luxury crossover space,” says Clay Dean, Cadillac design director.

The all-new SRX debuts at major global auto shows later this year, at which time complete details will be released. The 2010 model will replace the current SRX Crossover, which launched in 2004 as a key component of Cadillac’s ongoing product renaissance and global expansion. This next-generation crossover is similar in styling and proportion to Cadillac’s Provoq Concept that appeared in many auto shows during 2008.

The all-new production model is being developed to achieve excellent driving dynamics and wet-weather traction, with an elegantly modern cabin designed to accommodate five passengers and ample cargo.

“The next-generation SRX, along with the new CTS Sport Wagon, showcases Cadillac taking its dramatic design into new directions, particularly cars and crossovers that are the right size at the right time for today’s luxury consumers,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager.

# # #

Looks cheap. It doesn't have the aggressive profile of the Germans, or the CTS Wagon, but hey, Lexus's FWD-based RX does well enough. That's probably the SRX's new target, and I don't blame Cadillac. Real estate agents and the like are into that sort of thing.

SRX_02.jpg

The front looks too big for the rest of the car. It looks horrible, and has nasty overhang too.

I bet I could do a better job. Oh wait...

Cadillac-BRX-Profile2.jpg

Eh... I don't think the overhangs are bad... just the front and rear lights are shallow...

And your idea for a BRX looks too much like the CTS wagon... There's a market for both the CTS & SRX.

like i've said, caddy needed to make a caddy for chicks, cause women don't like the current one.

the tiguan of caddies.

korean caddy.

it disgraces the srx name, but women will like it so caddy whored the badge out on this one. it should have been BRX. the rendering posted above looks nicer almost.

as long as there is a nook for the purse in the front this should give caddy the ability to steal those moving up from their mercury mariners and rav 4's and the like.

i see someone who likes the RDX liking this also for some reason.

the styling really should have been more badass on this thing. looks like they were really limited by the platform on this thing.

look out Q5! LOL

Edited by regfootball

Love the fins. The rest of it is overwrought... too much "style" slathered onto a small canvas. Trying too hard to retain its soon-to-be abandoned place in the market, as I said in the other thread, this confirms it for me.

It's OK...and I bet it'll sell much better than the current model, but my concern is that this type of product is what we can expect from GM when they're depending upon said intros to save the company.

It looks like a Vue with a Caddy suit--it simply isn't special in the way that you'd like a Caddy to be (CTS*cough*).

I'm sorry, but even the most sheltered Caddy fan has to be concerned about this effort.

Like most of you I'd like it to be Sigma based, but I don't dislike this... except for one thing: the grille and front bumper have too much of a horizontal theme that doesn't go well with those huge vertical headlamps. Something closer to the concept's front bumper would have looked far better IMHO.

Edited by ZL-1

It's....a FWD Caddy. :nono:

Just when the Cadillac lineup was starting to look

liek GM "gets it" ...this is what replaces the SRX?

Unreal. :angry:

This is an SRX by name only, overall it has some

very nice touches, and although that side-vent

this is so played out that even the @^$*ing

Ford Fucus has them, obviously the biggest gripe

is that profile.

DF said it all, those two pics. are worth well over

2,000 words, this is YET another example of a

stupid compromise on GM's part.

I'm so sick to death of mediocrity where there is

oportunity for near perfection, esp. on GM's part!

Edited by Sixty8panther

So at the risk of looking dense, is this based on Theta Premium?

If so, does this mean almost every GM brand is going to have at least 1 Theta vehicle?

1. Chevrolet Equinox

2. Pontiac Torrent (going away in favor of GMC variant?)

3. Saturn VUE

4. GMC Terrain

5. SAAB 9-4X

6. Cadillac SRX

Am I missing any?

It's OK...and I bet it'll sell much better than the current model, but my concern is that this type of product is what we can expect from GM when they're depending upon said intros to save the company.

It looks like a Vue with a Caddy suit--it simply isn't special in the way that you'd like a Caddy to be (CTS*cough*).

I'm sorry, but even the most sheltered Caddy fan has to be concerned about this effort.

makes you wonder if the lambda caddy will be an effort like this SRX or like the CTS Wagon. i pray for the latter.

I hope it fails worse than the original SRX, because unlike the original this deserves to fail. It really does look like a Korean Knockoff of a Cadillac, which is basically what it is.

I hate how big the nose looks in profile...it's very tall and has a large overhang, like the nose of the bigger Escalade was grafted onto a Vue. I also hate how the character line dips too low towards the front...reminds me of the Nissan Altima.

I hope the CTS wagon does very well in sales so they pull this out f the market. FWD does not the Standard of the World make.

Edited by Dodgefan

So at the risk of looking dense, is this based on Theta Premium?

If so, does this mean almost every GM brand is going to have at least 1 Theta vehicle?

1. Chevrolet Equinox

2. Pontiac Torrent (going away in favor of GMC variant?)

3. Saturn VUE

4. GMC Terrain

5. SAAB 9-4X

6. Cadillac SRX

Am I missing any?

Yes, this is on Theta Premium. The Pontiac Torrent is supposed to be replaced by the GMC Terrain. Buick, AFAIK, isn't getting one yet...though I could see a business case for a smaller sibling for the Enclave..

I hope it fails worse than the original SRX, because unlike the original this deserves to fail. It really does look like a Korean Knockoff of a Cadillac, which is basically what it is.

I hope the CTS wagon does very well in sales so they pull this out f the market. FWD does not the Standard of the World make.

sorry yoda, but the srx will probably sell better than the wagon as it wagons don't sell that well in NA and cute-utes do. and if i were you, i'd hope that a bunch of young real estate broker women types by the srx in droves, cause what other vehicles does caddy have to draw them into the dealership? um, oh wait, there aren't any. they'll go by X3, RDX, Tiguan, whatever mercedes is selling, Q5, MKX,

Edited by 97regalGS

Which is a shame, because it's not what a Cadillac should be.

In all honesty the front and rear 3/4 views are ok, but the profile is just crap.

i don't like it either, but i hope it sells.

maybe having some SRX in driveways, will inspire their husbands to buy a CTS instead of a BMW sedan

Looks cheap. It doesn't have the aggressive profile of the Germans, or the CTS Wagon, but hey, Lexus's FWD-based RX does well enough. That's probably the SRX's new target, and I don't blame Cadillac. Real estate agents and the like are into that sort of thing.

he he...like my wife

Yes, this is on Theta Premium. The Pontiac Torrent is supposed to be replaced by the GMC Terrain. Buick, AFAIK, isn't getting one yet...though I could see a business case for a smaller sibling for the Enclave..

I can't unless at least two of the others die. Terrain and Torrent overlap with Nox too much.

1. Nox - CRV, RAV4, Escape, Patriot, Forrester fighter

2. Vue - Tiguen, Edge fighter

3. Buick - MKX, RDX or Smaller than RX fighter

4. 9-4x - XC70, LR2, RDX fighter, Infiniti EX fighter

5. SRX - X3, Infiniti EX

I can't unless at least two of the others die. Terrain and Torrent overlap with Nox too much.

1. Nox - CRV, RAV4, Escape, Patriot, Forrester fighter

2. Vue - Tiguen, Edge fighter

3. Buick - MKX, RDX or Smaller than RX fighter

4. 9-4x - XC70, LR2, RDX fighter, Infiniti EX fighter

5. SRX - X3, Infiniti EX

that is ridiculous. 5 versions? come on.

that is ridiculous. 5 versions? come on.

Well, the reality sounds like there are going to be at least 5...Equinox, Terrain, Vue on Theta, and SRX and 9-4X on Theta Premium.. remember, this is GM we are talking about... got to keep each dealer body happy, and the brands have to compete w/ each other.. :)

So it sounds like GM will have 4 Lambda CUVs for the full size market, 5 Theta and Theta Premium for the mid size market, but nothing in NA yet for the compact market (unless you could the Vue and HHR, but those are just tall wagons).

And then on the SUV side, there are the GMT 900s and the GMT 360s (which I assume are going away in a couple of years and not being replaced).

Edited by moltar

It looks OK, but nothing great. I don't think it's ugly, though. Women will like it I think, and they'll be the main buyers.

Yes...definitely targeting the MDX/MKX/RX/Q5 crowd.... it's too bad they won't have a V8 model anymore to target the X5/ML/FX/Q7 market.

Yes...definitely targeting the MDX/MKX/RX/Q5 crowd.... it's too bad they won't have a V8 model anymore to target the X5/ML/FX/Q7 market.

Many of those others may not have V8 options either as time goes on.

The sad fact is that despite getting great press for years, the SRX was a sales failure. It tried to be a very different vehicle in a market where the Lexus RX was king. The RX was smaller, had a better, more inviting interior, and yes, was very popular with affluent women who often were using them to haul kids. I own an '05 SRX for the same reason...my wife hauls the kids with it. We'lve had nothing but nice things to say about the car. But GM botched the launch of the vehicle with an interior that you could get away with on a cheaper CTS bit not this car, and an initial problem of sending zillions of V8 models to dealerships when buyers wanted V6s. It took months to straighten out the supply chain issue and three years to get a new interior. By then it was too late.

I hope the new SRX does better with its target audience. For me, the CTS Sport Wagon might end up being our next kid hauler. Having a choice from Cadillac is not a bad thing.

To be honest, I like the exterior. However, what scares me the most is an interior that looks similar to the VUE or Equinox.

They haven't shown the interior officially, yet though..or did I miss it..I recall pics of the Provoq concept interior a while back.

Which is a shame, because it's not what a Cadillac should be.

In all honesty the front and rear 3/4 views are ok, but the profile is just crap.

I'm surprised about all the negative comments about this car. I, for one, think it's hot. It looks like what it should be....a CTS on stilts.

Everyone here at the Cadillac store that I've shown these pics to think it's great....and can't wait to begin selling it.

The sad fact of the matter is, the current SRX is almost sale-proof. I can't remember the last time we sold one (and we were the biggest CTS dealer on the west coast last month, so it's not like we are a small-volume store or anything.)

The biggest complaint we get from customers (styling-wise) is that the current SRX looks too much like a "wagon" and not enough like an "SUV."

As far as the FWD-based architecture, as much as I would also like to see it RWD, the vast majority of people I HAVE talked too about the SRX had no idea it was RWD....nor did they really care.

I think a crossover like this could succeed as a FWD-based vehicle much easier than an entry-level, or mid-level premium sport/luxury sedan like the CTS could pull off the FWD thing.

Detroit knows they can't make money on cars, so they are hoping the midsize crossovers of the 2010s will be the Explorer and bigger SUVs of the late 90s early 2000s. GM's 4 lambdas, and the 5 or so Theta/theta premium SUVs have overlap, plus Flex/MKT, Edge/MKX, and the recent Japanese crossovers form Mazda/Acura/Infiniti, and it is a rather saturated market. Really all GM and Ford are doing is shifting body on frame SUV sales to crossovers, there isn't really a net sales gain.

The Equinox is the size of a Highlander now, and the Nox is expected to grow a little. So GM still lacks a Rav4/CR-V competitor, aside form the Vue, which grew larger and got really heavy.

I'm surprised about all the negative comments about this car. I, for one, think it's hot. It looks like what it should be....a CTS on stilts.

Everyone here at the Cadillac store that I've shown these pics to think it's great....and can't wait to begin selling it.

The sad fact of the matter is, the current SRX is almost sale-proof. I can't remember the last time we sold one (and we were the biggest CTS dealer on the west coast last month, so it's not like we are a small-volume store or anything.)

The biggest complaint we get from customers (styling-wise) is that the current SRX looks too much like a "wagon" and not enough like an "SUV."

As far as the FWD-based architecture, as much as I would also like to see it RWD, the vast majority of people I HAVE talked too about the SRX had no idea it was RWD....nor did they really care.

I think a crossover like this could succeed as a FWD-based vehicle much easier than an entry-level, or mid-level premium sport/luxury sedan like the CTS could pull off the FWD thing.

And I'm surprised that anyone likes it.

Everything on this platform is just so lumpy and dumpy looking - like a 48-year-old housewife that has let herself go.

salesmen will always appreciate new product, and the market they're seeing for this has already been identified here, women, but this is not necessarily a direction Cadillac should so obviously go after, at least in terms of design, imo. SRX is a polarizing design and too obviously mimics a wagon shape which is not what most SUV buyers are after. However, a mre daring sportster SUV/hatch type setup like the T2X or FX45 would have been a clear winner in the price range this is going after. FWD or not, this design is terrible. As to the FWDvRWD issue, customers may not know SRX is RWD, but buyers of the outgoing SRX will most certainly miss the balance and sporting setup, unless this new platform has something unique to offer.

this most closely seems to target RX, but the interior is already a letdown based on the Provoq, and it's just not appealingly styled. this will have to come in at a good price, however, because of that likely circumstance, and fuel prices, and women, this should see more success than outgoing pricier SRX.

To be honest, I like the exterior. However, what scares me the most is an interior that looks similar to the VUE or Equinox.

Theta II vehicles and TE vehicles are separate... if anything, the 9-4x & SRX may have some similarities, but don't expect any similarities between them and the Theta models.