Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pebble Beach: 2010 Cadillac SRX debuts

It could be GM photos, but all of the new small CUV's from GM appear to be within inches of each other. The proportions do look the same between the Vue, SRX, 9-4, Terrain & Equinox--if you factor in the Captiva, you've got a rainbow of product coming from a compromised platform, IMO.

I'd like to see these in person before judging, but I'm willing to bet that all of these products are within a few inches of each other in every major dimension.

Won't matter if they are efficient, good looking and well priced---but its either weird that they all are so similar yet different underneath or its stupid to bother with this type of product. If you must make 5/6 hats for this architecture, just make 'em good.

It could be GM photos, but all of the new small CUV's from GM appear to be within inches of each other. The proportions do look the same between the Vue, SRX, 9-4, Terrain & Equinox--if you factor in the Captiva, you've got a rainbow of product coming from a compromised platform, IMO.

I'd like to see these in person before judging, but I'm willing to bet that all of these products are within a few inches of each other in every major dimension.

Won't matter if they are efficient, good looking and well priced---but its either weird that they all are so similar yet different underneath or its stupid to bother with this type of product. If you must make 5/6 hats for this architecture, just make 'em good.

Uhm... they're not all on the same platform/architecture... :rolleyes:

I don't see the similarities between the Cadillac and the Vue/Captiva. At most it is the general D/E-segment crossover form, shared with every other model from every other manufacturer. It no more looks like the Vue than it does the Koleos, Q5 or XC60.

In profile, the similarity to the Vue is obvious in the lousy FWD cab forward proportions...

I think it's a nice looking FWD crossover, but I think it dilutes Cadillac's image somewhat. A Theta based premium crossover belongs in Buick's lineup, not Cadillac's. If they were going to give Cadillac a second chance at a crossover, then they should have based it on the updated Sigma platform that underpins the new CTS. The biggest problem with the first gen SRX is the styling. It looks too much like an overgrown station wagon (a problem that I believed plagued Ford's Freestyle/Taurus X). A new one based on the updated Sigma platform with a genuine crossover look and AWD standard would have done quite a bit to improve the sales performance of this vehicle. I don't dislike the new version, I just think it is not exactly appropriate for Cadillac. I still hope it succeeds and lives up to GM's expectations.

I would still like to see them combine Buick and Cadillac into a luxury dealer network. Buick could then carry a product like this (a premium Theta based crossover) and Cadillac would be free to focus on building the best RWD luxury cars in the market. To me, the CTS wagon better represents what Cadillac should be than this new Theta based crossover.

Uhm... they're not all on the same platform/architecture... :rolleyes:

If they aren't (& I believe that's just a technical distinction anyway)---they look awful similar in general proportion.

I'd like to see the measurements--but I just don't get the big deal if they are all related...it certainly looks suspicious.

The sad part is that all of these Theta/Theta Premium vehicles replace better looking cars.

In the case of the SRX, its a real step backward, they really should have named it something new (or kept it out of Caddy stores). Nothing about it says "premium".

The badge does..... how else would Lexus sell?

the outgoing SRX failed to catch on b/c of it's price and shape. it looked too wagony if they had jacked it up more, it'd have looked like an SUV and sold.

this SRX fits the target market GM is going for. I do think having the cts wagon in the same showroom will help, if they buyer can't decide, they'll have both options handy. Unlike the current SRX.

This is HOT, Yup I really like this, a nice evolution of the SRX. Original which I own is too much like a station wagon on steriods. This at least now looks like a real mid size SUV. :D

Interesting study, but not as exciting in fruition. This was a vehicle that was much better suited for Buick. The Caddy design language does not translate well on this platform. Buick's curves would have been sexier, it could have appealed to both men and women and Buick would be a better competitor in this market (FWD/AWD CUV).

Edited by InvictaMan

btw- wife likes srx, was warm on wagon

Yup. My wife drives an X3. Her lease is up in Sept.09. She looked at the pictures and loves the new SRX and absolutely hated the CTS wagon. Thier brains just work differently than ours where cars are concerned. My wife is not crazy about my CTS either. But my three daughters, all in thier early 20's love my CTS. Funny they all hate the CTS wagon pics too, and like the new SRX. I think Caddy has hit the Lexus RX market dead on with the new SRX. I bet it sells very well, depending on price of course.

Wow!

This thread is making me look at gender as a handicap, how can women see this thing as anything other than ugly and ungainly? I just don't get it.

get with the program. women are from venus, men are from mars!

there is no accountng for taste. i mean, some people thing that the X6 looks good

It's the photos, or they way you look at them. They are actually very different in size and proportions. Even the Vue and Captiva are significantly different in size (the latter is substantially longer to accommodate the third row), and they are the closest related of the family. With dimensions of the new crossovers it is hard to to be sure, but the "Terrain", if it carries that name, and Equinox replacement should be on the longer wheelbase, making them much bigger than the others (the XL7 will probably still be the longest), as they are now. If they don't look it, perhaps they are finally wider as well. It's hard to imagine them being downsized to the Captiva's swb if they are to gain a third row like the XL7, as is rumored.

Front and rear angles look good. The profile shot looks okay. It doesn't look bad, but as already pointed out several times, my first impression was "Cadillac VUE".

Why is it that since Art & Science, Cadillac can only seem to make the CTS look great, and all the others just look frumpy and/or stale?

It's the photos, or they way you look at them. They are actually very different in size and proportions. Even the Vue and Captiva are significantly different in size (the latter is substantially longer to accommodate the third row), and they are the closest related of the family. With dimensions of the new crossovers it is hard to to be sure, but the "Terrain", if it carries that name, and Equinox replacement should be on the longer wheelbase, making them much bigger than the others (the XL7 will probably still be the longest), as they are now. If they don't look it, perhaps they are finally wider as well. It's hard to imagine them being downsized to the Captiva's swb if they are to gain a third row like the XL7, as is rumored.

I checked the stats, and the Vue and SRX are within an inch in length (180"+/-) and the wheelbases are also within an inch or two.

I don't understand developing 2 platforms that close, which means if GM was smart, they'd be closely related, no? Mmm, forget that. Now I know they share little.

Edited by enzl

I checked the stats, and the Vue and SRX are within an inch in length (180"+/-) and the wheelbases are also within an inch or two.

I don't understand developing 2 platforms that close, which means if GM was smart, they'd be closely related, no? Mmm, forget that. Now I know they share little.

There has to be a reason for it being called TE = Theta-Epsilon, right? :AH-HA_wink:

I think it's basically the same platform but the 9-4X and SRX get the fancy suspension geometry.

• 3 weeks later...

I do see the resemblance to the Vue, but since I have a Vue, I don't think of it as offensive. I like it quite a bit actually.

I've had alot of compliments on my vue. People think it looks quite upscale, and they think I've paid more than I really did. I think the new SRX will sell better than the outgoing model, simply because the outgoing model was more bland (though I liked it quite a bit personally). This new one looks edgy and has some design cues that add character to it. These are the kinds of things that attract the target market over to RX territory.

It's edgy, but IMO not over-the top, like it could have been. I think it'll do well.