2010 Pontiac G6 MCE Spotted W/O Camo

I don't like the G6, but I don't rant about it, to me seems like a chick car, all I ever see driving it.

The fact that my mom absolutely FAWNS over the G6 Hardtop is more ammo for me not to like it... Chevies, Caddies, and even Saabs of similar or greater size just seem more manly IMO

Wow, this is sooo different than the 05 model. Pontiac clearly is a viable brand and could never be killed with such up to date vehicles as this. For the same money, why would anyone want an 08 Malibu (or Accord or Sonata or 09 Fusion) over the G6?

Especially worth waiting 5 years for the MCE! Its incredible. I think enough to carry it over another 5 years with no more changes.

Have you guys seen the '09 Civic? The current car came out in... model year '06? OK, no changes since then, but for '09, it gets a new front bumper cover, detail changes to the grill, detail changes to the taillights... and a chrome strip on the trunklid. Whoop de do.

Have you guys seen the '09 Civic? The current car came out in... model year '06? OK, no changes since then, but for '09, it gets a new front bumper cover, detail changes to the grill, detail changes to the taillights... and a chrome strip on the trunklid. Whoop de do.

Yes but after 5-6 model years total, the Civic will be all new. Mid-cycle for it is 3 years. I don't think this is apples to apples. This g6 has been left out to dry. It should have got a new center stack by 2008, the way the SRX, Equinox got updates. Instead after 5 it looks like its getting new front and rear fascias that don't match the rest of the vehicle.

Well in the cars defense, I remember when GM made a model change to the Chevy Corsica that consisted of simply changing the names on the decklid (trunk) from Chevy Corsica to Corsica Chevy. :nono:

I think they changed the dash somewhere in it's run also...from squarish nasty plastics to rounded nasty plastics...:)

The Corsica also got new taillights.

I just took a look at the new '09 Civic. Honda went pretty heavy-handed slathering on the chrome.

As for the G6, at least there are some updates.

No it didn't. The Corsica picked up leftovers from the discontinued Pontiac Tempest, which is the same taillight minus the Chevy logo.

800px-L-Body_Pontiac_Tempest.jpg

800px-'88-'91_Pontiac_Tempest.jpg

_88_tempest_qweb.jpg

I forgot about these cars. I saw only one, back around '90 or '91, in Lancaster with Canadian plates on it. Being that the Internet wasn't around widespread, it would be a few years before I found info on this Tempest (platfrom mate to the Corsica). I had two friends that owned Corsicas, one a '88 and the other a '91, and I liked the Pontiac Tempest look a little better.

Sorry to go off-topic here!

those cars are a great illustration of how sad GM has been for decades.

not only were those cars crap, the fact that Corsica and Tempest had a short run as brands illustrates GM's complete lack of marketing savvy.

While Honda has had the Civic and Accord for decades, each GM brand has had a dozen different monikers that have come and gone.

not only were those cars crap, the fact that Corsica and Tempest had a short run as brands illustrates GM's complete lack of marketing savvy.

While Honda has had the Civic and Accord for decades, each GM brand has had a dozen different monikers that have come and gone.

I always wondered why they did the Tempest for Canada--seems like it overlapped with the Grand Am in the generic sedan segment...

Because the media connotates something negative with EVERY name.

Example: The G6. Before it even hit the lots, it was "the chick car that was given away on Oprah"

The Oprah marketing campaign was brilliant. But was spun by the media to be pure negativity.

We're not living in the past. If we were living in the past, we wouldn't be posting on a web based forum for future GM vehicles.

We just choose not to be defeatists.

GM CAN determine it's own fate, if it wants to. But they can't expect to join the Army and then not fight. Their passive defeatist management and corporate attitude is what we're here to try and condemn/change IMO.

Well said, and if I was going to "live in the past" it sure as hell

would NOT be the past that a member with the user name

"97-W-body-BUICK" wants to see prepetuated in to the next

decade: more $hitty product that boils down to nothing but

wanna-be-Camry matterial.

All you status-quo-loving people who embrace cafe & think we

should all just wave a white flag and buy a FWD midsize car

that has little appeal past a Camry JUST because it is a GM by

name ARE the enemy.

Either you are with us, wanting & demanding great, fantastic &

excuse-free product and resisting the "bean-counter-GM" of

the past 3 decades, or you might as well just not call yourself

a GM fanatic at ALL!

Because the media connotates something negative with EVERY name.

Example: The G6. Before it even hit the lots, it was "the chick car that was given away on Oprah"

The Oprah marketing campaign was brilliant. But was spun by the media to be pure negativity.

That does not explain...

Corsica

Tempest

Beretta

Cavalier

J2000

Skyhawk

Skylark

Somerset

SL2

L200

Sunbird

Sunfire

Bonneville

Achieca

Alero

Calais

Chevette

Acadian

Tran sport

Montana

Montana SV6

Venture

Uplander

Traverse

Envoy

Acadia

Blazer

Trailblazer

Intrigue

Century

Regal

Lacrosse

Allure

Firenza

Omega

Citation

Cimarron

And others that don't come to mind

Well said, and if I was going to "live in the past" it sure as hell

would NOT be the past that a member with the user name

"97-W-body-BUICK" wants to see prepetuated in to the next

decade: more $hitty product that boils down to nothing but

wanna-be-Camry matterial.

All you status-quo-loving people who embrace cafe & think we

should all just wave a white flag and buy a FWD midsize car

that has little appeal past a Camry JUST because it is a GM by

name ARE the enemy.

Either you are with us, wanting & demanding great, fantastic &

excuse-free product and resisting the "bean-counter-GM" of

the past 3 decades, or you might as well just not call yourself

a GM fanatic at ALL!

you're criticising my username? well, in that case you'll be happy to know I got rid of that car 2 years ago.

I do demand fantastic, no excuse product from GM. And I don't see any evidence that GM plans to give Pontiac the product that it needs to survive. To that end, I think it's time to move on.

Think about this. Every dollar that GM spends on Pontiac or SAAB or Hummer is a dollar that can not be spent on Chevy or Cadillac.

Amen 68, you would make a great CEO at GM.

They would go out of business fast w/ him in there, I'm afraid.... trying to tool up to build 16cyl RWD BOF hardtops to sell for $10,000 would put the company in the red very fast... :)

Edited by moltar

• 4 weeks later...
I think they changed the dash somewhere in it's run also...from squarish nasty plastics to rounded nasty plastics...:)

LOL.....actually, I had one of the Berettas with the new interior and it was quite a bit of an upgrade over the original nasty interior in the Beretta/Corsica. The dash plastics, in particular, had a true import feel for the day......much better than the typical GM norm of the day.

Mine was a base Beretta, but optioned up.....with the V6 and 5-speed......medium red, gray interior.....

It was a great car to drive, looked really good too.......but was an abolute reliability nightmare......

• 4 weeks later...

According to the 2009 order guide the 2009 G6 with this new fascia and rockers for the coupe will begin production in December. It also states the woodgrain inserts are gone from the interior and a new Stereo and HVAC unit is going to be used. This may address some of the gripes regarding the interior. I am also pleased and surprised to read that all models will now have painted outside rearview mirrors. (despite none of the spied vehicles wearing painted mirrors) The taupe interiors now have ebony seat inserts and ebony carpeting on the floor, I also think there is a new rim design. Oh and I almost forgot, the GXP now has Tapshift... I am excited to see these changes but would like one in Bright Red.. maybe there will be new colors in 2010.

So we will get more than just a new nose that is good to hear. GM better not try to keep this one past 2012 or it really has over-stayed its welcome. Still it is a nice car and now the 6spd. 2.4 in it has some merit. My small dealer can't keep the 2.4/6spd combo on the lot.

According to the 2009 order guide the 2009 G6 with this new fascia and rockers for the coupe will begin production in December. It also states the woodgrain inserts are gone from the interior and a new Stereo and HVAC unit is going to be used. This may address some of the gripes regarding the interior. I am also pleased and surprised to read that all models will now have painted outside rearview mirrors. (despite none of the spied vehicles wearing painted mirrors) The taupe interiors now have ebony seat inserts and ebony carpeting on the floor, I also think there is a new rim design. Oh and I almost forgot, the GXP now has Tapshift... I am excited to see these changes but would like one in Bright Red.. maybe there will be new colors in 2010.

It looks like were getting a 2009.5 model with these updates, because the order guide was posted on the 10th and it will be refreshed this is great news.

If they want this car right give the GXP to the GM Performance Division and stick the new LNY 2.1 Turbo Eco in it.

If this car ran like a Cobalt SS it might get a little respect.

Better to be a contender than a pretender.

I'd rather the DI 3.6 with about 300 hp. But a manual would probably be out of the question.

Edit: How about the drivetrain from the 9-3?

Edited by C.H.U.D.

A 9-3 powertrain would be nice yes.

Disagree on this one. The best one they got is a Turbo 2.8L that produces 280hp. The DI 3.6 seems a more natural fit since the regular 3.6L is in the Epsilons already.

2.0L Turbo Ecotec would be nice though. With 260hp it already beats the 2.4L in fuel economy. Imagine what can that thing do when it gets detuned a bit for more and 87 octane. Tune it in a way so that it slots between the base 2.4L and 3.6L, but if there is a DI 3.6L, it's a bit redundant.

The GXP always had TAPshift. Anything but the base and SE models with 4-speed auto gets it.

The guide states "Tapshift manual control with steering wheel mounted paddle controls, statndard on GXP and G6 coupe. included with Sport Package 1 on G6 sedan". The wheel mounted paddles is what is completely new for 2009.5

Disagree on this one. The best one they got is a Turbo 2.8L that produces 280hp. The DI 3.6 seems a more natural fit since the regular 3.6L is in the Epsilons already.

2.0L Turbo Ecotec would be nice though. With 260hp it already beats the 2.4L in fuel economy. Imagine what can that thing do when it gets detuned a bit for more and 87 octane. Tune it in a way so that it slots between the base 2.4L and 3.6L, but if there is a DI 3.6L, it's a bit redundant.

Thats a good point.

As a present owner of a 2.0 DI turbo I have a good idea of what this engine can so.

In a HHR SS I can see 22-24 MPG with spirited city driving and Highway milage of up to 31 MPG on some trips in a 3200 pound vehicle with automatic.

Also premium fuel is not required. These engines are just like the Series III 3800 SC. Thwy will run on regular with a small loss of power. I know the 3800 SC will lose about 20 HP . I am not sure on the Turbo as I have only run one tank on it once just to see the effect. It was minor at best. I have stayed with premium just for te extra boost. But if one chooses to run regular it is fine and will not kill overal performance or damage the engine.

Some say you can't but GM says you can and if they are holding the warranty for 5 years I will take their word.

With the future as it is the 3.6 is out in the G6 as all your goiing to is one of GM's 4 cylinders. I also have seen GM will up the size and power on this engine and if what I saaw was correct we may very well see a 300 HP 2.1 Tubo in the G6. I have only seen one thing that said that was the plan so at this point I can not confirm.

The one thing it does need is a 6 speed tranny. The 4 speed is tuned well to work with it but after some real wheel time in a Malibu 3.6 6 speed I can see that this engine would love this tranny, The problem is it will not fit the present Delta platform.

For GM's future I see what has a 6 cylinder will be a 4 Turbo and what is a large 6 or V8 will be a V6 soon. The V8 will be around but in limited models at best.

Oh and I almost forgot, the GXP now has Tapshift... I am excited to see these changes but would like one in Bright Red.. maybe there will be new colors in 2010.

The steering wheel paddles, as the Aura and Malibu do, or just the same system but operated via the shifter it--and the GT--have always had? I first saw this in a recent C&D GXP review, but thought they were just mistaken vs. the other Epsilons and the G6's floor shifter system.

As a G6 coupe owner--at least for a few more days--even though mine was a disaster, I still really like this car and think with such updates, it will continue on well enough. The only thing more I'd ask for is some improvement to refinement a-la the Aura and Malibu in terms of some finishing and ride/handling, but it's still honestly fine as it stands, just not perfect.

The guide states "Tapshift manual control with steering wheel mounted paddle controls, statndard on GXP and G6 coupe. included with Sport Package 1 on G6 sedan". The wheel mounted paddles is what is completely new for 2009.5

Then the only thing new is the paddles. The functionality has always been there.

Some other changes I noticed:

- They say in addition to the new (god-awful) bumper, there's a new instrument cluster and exhaust tip as well.

- Two-tone seats are back! Didn't say what colours though.

- A base 4-banger coupe! Finally! Still no manual though but 6-speed is standard.

- The god-awful GT Street edition (a.k.a. faux GXP bodykit) is gone. That's a start, now get rid of it on the GXP and bring back the GTP.

- Chrome wheel covers for the upscale 4-banger model. Have to wait to see how these look, but I have a bad feeling about it, judging from how the chrome cap base Malibus look.

- Headlamps are now amber-less, like the corner lamps change on the 2007 Cobalt/Pursuit/G5s.

- Looks like a new spoiler is replacing the current lip one on the sedans.

I have paddle shifters on the 04 GTP and also a Malibu 3.6 6 speed.

I always thought the wheel shifters would be much more fun with the 6 speed but it is so smooth it really is not much fun at all in the Malibu.

If Pontiac plans on using this it they need to make it shift firmer in manuel mode than in the Malibu.

Found this...

http://www.acmeautoleasing.com/index.php?o...&Itemid=162

The G6 sedan, coupe and convertible models will all have exterior and interior enhancements. This includes refreshed front/rear fascias; G8-inspired chrome-surround dual-port grille; painted lower rockers; body-colored side rearview mirrors; new center stack and gauges; dark satin nickel interior trim accents; new radio with available USB port (as part of new "My Link" Package); available Bluetooth capability (as part of new "My Link" Package); available Ebony/Titanium two-tone leather seats; new wheel options and more.

Also, a new 4-cylinder G6 coupe model 2ZG37 will be offered with a standard 6-speed automatic transmission. This G6 coupe delivers 33 MPG on the highway.

So we are getting a new centre stack.

This is good because it addresses all my gripes about the G6. I liked the exterior, but I was very turned off by the interior.

Being that orders could be placed as early as a week ago for the 2009.5, any idea when we might see the new interior?