Is KAPPA Dead?

The problem is, the sales of Toyotas clearly show that Americans want bland..they demand vanilla...thus, GM has been focusing on boring with mixed results for 25+ years...

I don't think so...

americans are very fashion conscious and they all seem to love new classic "detroit autos" that reflect fashion and tend to be unique.

What sells the asian brand though is the details. the details that GM and the others haven't been able to get right. If you bring a beautiful design out, but the materials suck and the quality is bad and the resale is low and the (insert other misc detail here) isn't up to par, then americans would rather play it safe.

A car is a major investment, especially this day in age. And americans aren't going to invest in something that seems unsafe.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

There is something fundamentally wrong with GM's desire to do boring cars as a means to survive. GM doesn't do boring well, that is the province of the asian brands, they need to do interesting well instead. GM's better days have always been marked by offering the distinctive rather than the mundane. Volume and distinction need not be mutually exclusive, it just takes a great product. GM will never outbland the blandmobiles, so it really ought to just be itself.

Agreed...

The only way for GM to get ahead of the asians is to be innovative and do what they do best. imitation has gotten them no where for the last 25 years and that will continue to be the case as long as the Detroit companies try to be what they are not. the consumer knows this and sees right through it.

By not capitalizing on what makes GM GM, they are missing out on one of the biggest opportunities they've ever had. Especially now that the nostalgia kick has been in full swing.

This can be traced back to too many models, too many brands. Saab is selling under 25k units a year in the US with the 9-5 sedan/wagon, 9-3 convertible/sedan/wagon and 9-7x. The Kappas are a better investment than the Saab brand. GM has to shed some brands and focus resources into Chevy, Cadillac and 1 or 2 other brands. 4 strong brands is better than 1 good and 7 weak.

We have 4 strong divisions.

1) Chevrolet

2) Saturn

3) Buick/Pontiac/GMC

4) Cadillac/Saab/Hummer

:D

I think no division needs to die...

but IF it comes to that, these three should be FIRST!!!

- Hummer

- SAAB

- Saturn

I hate being so negative, but I don't see much interesting in the future of GM beyond what is out now and coming in the short term (Camaro, CTS coupe, etc) for RWD fans like myself. I don't do FWD..

I understand FOG and 68s angst, I have it also, just not as vocal about it. :(

I would agree.

Chris

I think no division needs to die...

but IF it comes to that, these three should be FIRST!!!

- Hummer

- SAAB

- Saturn

I would keep SAAB if possible, if it could be made profitable enough. I like the heritage of the company.

However, Hummer needs to go and Saturn needs serious help.

Chris

Yes, bland, mainstream crap... I guess Toyota has built better blandmobiles than GM has, or least, cars that were perceived to be better.

Sadly, this is what people want. I am not religious per se, but went with my 18 year old aughter to church last Sunday at her request. She goes to one of those big Mega Churches sometimes. Of the 700+ cars in the parking lot, there was 1 Mustang GT and 1 Chrysler 300, and other than the Miata I drove over in, there was nothing even resembling an enthusiast car in the parking lot.

But TONS of camry's and such.

Which is why Toyota is getting rich. People want 97 flavors of Camry, for whatever reason.

Chris