Ya know, sometimes

... I just feel like driving nothing but some gigantic coupe from about 1970 with the biggest big block I can find just to spit in the face of current convention. This feeling tends to attack upon encountering a Smart on the street. The thought of some growling, monster engined, coupe that is longer than a new Silverado bearing down on one of these little jokemobiles while spewing raw hydrocarbons through dual exhaust leaving twin black deposits on the front bumper of the Camry hybrid behind me just makes me smile.

I happen to have one of those in convertible form, though it pre-dates the 70s. :smilewide:

Can I borrow it?

Actually your Pontiac is way too clean, I was thinking of something like a Chrysler 300 with chalky faded paint and rusty quarters flapping in the breeze generated by it's running rich 440.

...with the windows down and the AC blasting. :neenerneener:

... I just feel like driving nothing but some gigantic coupe from about 1970 with the biggest big block I can find just to spit in the face of current convention. This feeling tends to attack upon encountering a Smart on the street. The thought of some growling, monster engined, coupe that is longer than a new Silverado bearing down on one of these little jokemobiles while spewing raw hydrocarbons through dual exhaust leaving twin black deposits on the front bumper of the Camry hybrid behind me just makes me smile.

I hear you...sometimes, I'd love to have a '71 Ford LTD Brougham 2dr ht with a 429 to bomb around in...or a '71 Buick Riviera w/ 455. Or a '71 Chevy Impala sport coupe w/ a 454. Or a '71 Coupe De Ville. Or something from my birth year, 1970.. something restored and in polished, clean shape. I wouldn't want a rusty clunker, though. Something respectable.

When I go back to Ohio Labor Day weekend, I'll have to take my Mom's '68 Cougar for a spin..hardtop, manual steering, manual brakes, 3spd manual, 302 V8, no A/C, am radio, mint condition, 65k miles. A pain in the arse to drive, but fun.

Edited by moltar

I hear you...sometimes, I'd love to have a '71 Ford LTD Brougham 2dr ht with a 429 to bomb around in...or a '71 Buick Riviera w/ 455. Or a '71 Chevy Impala sport coupe w/ a 454. Or a '71 Coupe De Ville. Or something from my birth year, 1970.. something restored and in polished, clean shape. I wouldn't want a rusty clunker, though. Something respectable.

Oh, I know, but the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart.

I actually once owned a '71 Impala Sport Coupe (but with a 350 rather than a 454). The grille was broken out and the front bumper pushed up a bit from eating a Honda at a stoplight (previous owner did it, not me). Come to think of it, that car might be suitable for the job! :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, I know, but the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart.

I actually once owned a '71 Impala Sport Coupe (but with a 350 rather than a 454). The grille was broken out and the front bumper pushed up a bit from eating a Honda at a stoplight (previous owner did it, not me). Come to think of it, that car might be suitable for the job! :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah, something like the worn out green '71 Eldorado in the movie 'The Highwayman'... a serial killer went around running people off the road with it.

>>"the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart."<<

Wanna borrow this? It's 7.5 feet tall. Should do the job.

40-09W.jpg

Oh yeah..that could be scary, like the old Peterbuilt in 'Duel'...

the novas prob gonna be in flat black primer in the future, so when it is, (after my new mighty cam is installed as well) i feel like doing just that, driving around in a &#036;h&#33;ty looking, loud (open headers!) gas guzzler to stick it to prius and smart drivers :P

Can I borrow it?

Actually your Pontiac is way too clean, I was thinking of something like a Chrysler 300 with chalky faded paint and rusty quarters flapping in the breeze generated by it's running rich 440.

...with the windows down and the AC blasting. :neenerneener:

It wasn't always that clean! One day I will post some of the rebuilding in the project car section...it's really a street rod constructed into stock form. It scares commuters when I take it to work occasionally.

I had a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop in Avocado green with a black vinyl top and a 440/4bbl (and front disc brakes!). The front grille was steel. I loved that car!

It wasn't always that clean! One day I will post some of the rebuilding in the project car section...it's really a street rod constructed into stock form. It scares commuters when I take it to work occasionally.

I had a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop in Avocado green with a black vinyl top and a 440/4bbl (and front disc brakes!). The front grille was steel. I loved that car!

Yes please to the Pontiac pics/story!

Your New Yorker is pretty close to what I was picturing. A friend of mine had a '71 Chrysler 300 coupe with a 440 - the car was freakin' huge! The trunk could have held at least 8 bodies easy. Someone managed to jab a tire iron through the hood - it left a hole, but no dent. That car was made from some thick steel. It was so menacing coming toward you with its huge "full surround" bumper. That old Chrysler is the first car I think of when I want to scare commuters.

Yes please to the Pontiac pics/story!

Your New Yorker is pretty close to what I was picturing. A friend of mine had a '71 Chrysler 300 coupe with a 440 - the car was freakin' huge! The trunk could have held at least 8 bodies easy. Someone managed to jab a tire iron through the hood - it left a hole, but no dent. That car was made from some thick steel. It was so menacing coming toward you with its huge "full surround" bumper. That old Chrysler is the first car I think of when I want to scare commuters.

I think a Crown Vic PI would be nice to have for a commuter car..black w/ the push bars, spotlights...other drivers would wonder if it was a cop or not.

I like those C-body Chryslers....huge cars...so wide, so long..the roof looked tiny on the huge body, nearly symmetrical hood/deck lengths. The Imperials were even larger.

'Joy Ride' had one, a '71 Newport, IIRC.

Edited by moltar

Camino, you DO realize that you're pretty

much describing my 100% full time daily

driver from Feb. to July of this year, right?

The Banana Boat fits that description to a

"t" with the exception of being late-70s &

a few inches shorter than the HARDTOP

CdVs of 1970-1-2-3.

And remember, last year for 75% of the

summer I drove a '59 Buick, with the other

25% being diced up amongst a '71 Cadillac,

'76 Buick LeSabre 4dr post & '94 R-master

Estate... including a pretty swank roadtrip

under the cover of darkness where Fly's

Bicentenial LeSabre saw well over 100mph

more than once on the highway for a good

stretch... waste of gasoline? nahhh!

I think a Crown Vic PI would be nice to have for a commuter car..black w/ the push bars, spotlights...other drivers would wonder if it was a cop or not.

You would NOT beleive how many people think

my beatup, dented, super-faded paint with

peeling clearcoat '92 Roadmaster is a U.C. 9C1

or some other five-oh...

I installed REDNECK-ified spotlights, a push bar

sourced from pipe at the Home Depot & voila,

the passing lane opens right up for me, with

more than half the people thinking I'm a cop...

I'll post pictures soon... it's quite funny. I

even have integrated tow-hooks right in the

"push-bar" that I made out of steel pipe.

I'm REALLY getting into this whole concept

of an ultra bang4thebuck "MAD MAX B-body".

Were it not for the fact that my daily commute will be getting substantially longer in about two weeks, I'd be driving my '70 Sedan DeVille in as-is condition every day.....

..... not that a '90 Suburban is much better!

Those fuselage bodied-Mopars are all nufkin awesome!

Esp. the IMPERIAL-death-star Limo! :wub:

Shoulda bought that rusty, 7.8 mpg `71 Sedan Deville XP was selling for around $500 a while back :P

Wish I had the money to buy it at the time. :(

soooo.... buy XP's '70 DeVille 4dr hardtop.

He's moving and wants it sold to a good home,

it's MUCH more solid than the Murder car and

he's asking under a grand for it, w/ the fresh

battery & carb rebuild that's a steal, I've been

trying to talk myself out of buying it cause my

pregnant wifee will kill me if |I do!

I think something from the Era of the B-59 would be perfect for this. In Steven Kings novel "Carrie" one of the asshole high school boys drives like a 1960 Chevy with part of the grill gone that he uses to run over dogs on a country road.

I don't think King could have chosen a better car for that role in the book.

When Columbus used to have a symphony orchestra and I used to have my 71 Chevelle my wife and I used to drive that to the symphony. It was cool sitting in a line of Lexus, Acura, and other bland cars with a loud, politically incorrect V-8 with headers and a not too quiet exhaust.

I like your fantasy. And if you guys don't mind, I want to go on a tangent. I am soooo tired of politically correct cars. I think that is why I hate cars like Acura, Nissan, etc. sooo much....seems like their whole role in life is to serve the upwardly mobile white middle class in this country, and be a statement of bland me too ism.

Sixty Eight, I know you didn't like the movie "Vanishing Point" but at least it wasn't about a bunch of teenagers cruising around in an Altima wanting to start a recycling program.

I'm ready to get back to some "real" cars.

Sorry for the tangent.

Chris

It's not so much that I didn't LIKE vanishing

point... truth be told it is, IMHO about No.49

out of my all time favorite "car guy movies"

and in the end it just seems to have a very

hollow & pointless plot.

Both the new & old Gone in 60 Sec. are WAY

better movies, as is Ronin & of course Bullit

lays many faux-car-guy-movies to shame!

I want to do something similar to a guy a know whom is a "greenie" and has a gen 1 Prius and drive buy in a Lucerne Blue 1972 GTO Hardtop with sports stripe and honeycombs paired to a Muncie 4spd. backed to a 455 HO and leave a black patch of rubber on the blvd. he lives on and say f*ck you and your hybrid. Drive a real car and eat my dust you smug f*ck.

This very morning, I was stopped at a light in my Corvette (24 mpg mixed driving btw) and an ass in a RENTAL Prius pulls up next to me and gives me a smug look. I just laughed and said; "Dude! You are in a FRICKEN RENTAL CAR PRIUS...and I can AFFORD the car AND THE GAS!" He sank down in his underpadded seat and looked straight ahead. The guy behind him in a Jeep Wrangler with the doors off laughed out loud at the ass clown in the Prius. Made my morning.

Speaking of pollitically incorrect cars, the looks I get in the '57 Buick on the road are classic. Lots of people just look at you like you are an idiot for polluting the world in a dinosaur like mine. I just smile at them in their little &#036;h&#33;-box Hondas and Toyotas and think: My bumper has more metal in it than the entire car they are driving!

This very morning, I was stopped at a light in my Corvette (24 mpg mixed driving btw) and an ass in a RENTAL Prius pulls up next to me and gives me a smug look. I just laughed and said; "Dude! You are in a FRICKEN RENTAL CAR PRIUS...and I can AFFORD the car AND THE GAS!" He sank down in his underpadded seat and looked straight ahead. The guy behind him in a Jeep Wrangler with the doors off laughed out loud at the ass clown in the Prius. Made my morning.

Speaking of pollitically incorrect cars, the looks I get in the '57 Buick on the road are classic. Lots of people just look at you like you are an idiot for polluting the world in a dinosaur like mine. I just smile at them in their little &#036;h&#33;-box Hondas and Toyotas and think: My bumper has more metal in it than the entire car they are driving!

Thanks for that story - gave me a good grin and a chuckle. 8)

Speaking of bizzaro world stuff, I was chatting on IM this morning with a former coworker in Boulder..his daily driver is an '07 Prius, his wife has a Subaru Forester. He just ordered an '09 Challenger SRT8 for a weekend fun car. Mid life crisis time, I think (his 40th birthday is coming up soon).

At the front of a line of traffic waiting at a red light this evening, I noticed a big silver Ram at the cross light coming from my right, waiting to turn left. Two hot rednecks inside. I put the truck in neutral, held the brake, and revved the engine, Flowmasters speaking their language. Their light turned green, they turned and went by me, looking my way and grinning. Then when my light turned green, I took off pretty good, just enough to squeal a tire a tad, but I let off of it when I reached the speed limit. A car I never noticed beside me in the left lane stormed by me like a rocket... a late model Maxima. I floored it, but it was too late, I lost my momentum and couldn't catch him before we had to slow down for the next light. Damn nerd was prolly laughing his ass off at me, I had to laugh too, what the heck.:)

I found some pics of my 1970 New Yorker, circa 1988-1989...it's even wearing its studded bias-ply snow tires in the pic. One small rust spot covered in gray primer that I repaired with "shoe goo" to pass inspection :AH-HA_wink: I paid $50 bucks for the car -- an estate deal my grand father found -- if I could start it, I could have it! Awesome car.

chrysler1a.jpg

chrysler3a.jpg

chrysler2a.jpg

chrysler4a.jpg

chrysler5a.jpg

I agree that the old fuselage Mopars were quite rad, especially the bigger ones. I almost bought a '71 Imperial down in Connecticut a few summers back until I watched its redneck owner destroy a couple expensive components and beat the f@#k out of it as part of his "presentation" of it to me. Shame, too; there's one of those things around for every hundred Cadillacs out there. I still want one.

• 5 months later...
Well yeah, I agree with that. That's why the '77 GM B/C/D bodies were such a breath of fresh air, the '78 A/G bodies and the '79 E's were all so well done and fine corrections to the excesses of the late 70's. The '80 X-bodies, however, signalled the beginning of GM's malaise... maybe that's why so many enthusiasts have a disdain for FWD.