Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2010 G8 sedan and ST to get 3.6DI

3.6 DI is the only way this sort of vehicle can succeed, especially once all the enthusiasts have finished buying the V8. A ~250 hp 3.2 DI might be even better... hey, the old Grand Prix only had 200.

Only a hand full of GP's had 300 HP this is a 300 DI HP for the masses.

I am not too suprised as I can see GM looks to have stepped up the infusion of DI on all vehicles.

I can say just my observations of DI in my own car it is just plain major improvment in all of GM's engines. The power and fuel milage improvments are amazining.

Now if I can get useds to the clicking sound on the outside of the vehicle.

nonsense

The only serious ding I've read about the G8 pertains to the V6 model, that it's sluggish, harsh, and not worth the savings over the GT. The 3.6L DI should fix all those, plus add some fuel economy.

DI will help keep weight down [base V6 is lighter ~200 lbs over GT package], without question should improve gas mileage at least 1 mpg, and will help make the base G8 a barnburner. no reason why a turbo 4 cyl Ecotec package that weighs 200 lbs less and is offered with the couldn't go a step further and serve as another lower stepping stone for a Pontiac supreme luxury performance sedan. if these improvements are marketed, and the G8's exposure increases, there's no reason this won't help expand the appeal of the G8 line. so long as it's message remains as Pontiac's supreme sports sedan, now more conscientious then ever.

Edited by turbo200

GM makes another smart move. How can they do this to me, they make a smart choice and make 2 other stupid ones. I just hope it is paired to the six-speed autobox. Hopefully they only give it 285hp and let a little room between the CTS DI and G8 DI. I wouldn't stick a 4cyl. in anything bigger than a midsize.

The only serious ding I've read about the G8 pertains to the V6 model, that it's sluggish, harsh, and not worth the savings over the GT. The 3.6L DI should fix all those, plus add some fuel economy.

the major issue with the v6 version of the G8 is a crappy tranny and lack of powertrain refinement.....its not the engine, its the NVH tuning, and mostly, a horsesh1t transmission....if i recall its an Aisin.

the DI had better be accompanied my a proper 6 speed automatic and hopefully, paddle shifters.

It's funny, I sort of forgot the Sport Truck version of this was coming out up until I saw the news about the official name a day or so ago. I like it.

I'm glad the G8's are getting the DI V6 - but hopefully it will be at least 300 hp and geared pretty low (or is it high?) for acceleration (or at least have that option for those not worried about gas mileage). I've driven the V8, and it's really pretty fast, but a good running V6 G35 or IS350 could actually keep up with it to 60. I'd love to see a rear drive V6 Pontiac that could keep up with an IS costing 10k more- I think it would be pretty sweet - but because of the 4000 lbs curb weight, I think she'll need a little more than 300 - just sayin'. We can all say that that's what the V8 is all about, but I'd love to be able to say I could do it with a DI 6.

At the end of the day though, I think I'd personally get a black G8 GT Sedan with the 6.0L V8 if I were really serious about this car.

the major issue with the v6 version of the G8 is a crappy tranny and lack of powertrain refinement.....its not the engine, its the NVH tuning, and mostly, a horsesh1t transmission....if i recall its an Aisin.

the DI had better be accompanied my a proper 6 speed automatic and hopefully, paddle shifters.

Isn't transmission used in the G8 V6 same as the one in the gen. 1 CTS?

Edited by Member55