Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

Got wood?

18 posts in this topic

flex-front-quarter.JPG

Auto Tech Plastics is the maker of the new Flex Woody kit. For $899, they'll give you a set of contact appliques and plastic trim that extend over the tops of the doors and the hatch area for a more seamless Woody look.

----------------

It actually looks pretty good!

Still not the same as the Country Squire wagons my parents drove when I was growing up...

Chris

It doesn't get any tackier than wood applique on the side of a car.

Everyone who slapped plastic woodgrain on their PT Cruiser five years ago is going wild right now.

That looks cool...needs whitewalls and chrome roof rack to complete the retro kitsch look. Ford should offer this as a Flex Country Squire package.

It doesn't get any tackier than wood applique on the side of a car.

In the case of the PT Cruise and Flex, you're right. Have you ever seen a full-size station wagon from the 80's without the appliqué? They look freaking strange, almost like the car was designed to carry it. If I ever do a full restoration of my leSabre, you better believe it will have the wood grain on it.

Gross. The Flex with its two-tone roof and brushed aluminum tailgate already looks like a modern woody family Country Squire wagon, minus the wood.

I hated it on wagons in the 80's and I hate it now. That's horrendous.

That has got to be the absolute worst exicution of faux wood on the side of a vehicle that I've ever seen. They'd have to pay me $900 to put it on, and then I'd never drive the vehicle.

2nd ugliest car I've ever seen in my life with faux-wood sides.

Only that photochop of a woodie-Element is uglier.

The Flex is ugly enough by itself

+1

Only that photochop of a woodie-Element is uglier.

That's not a photochop... it's real...

Although... something similar to a sweep kit might look good on certain Buicks, depending on the use of restraint and colors...

Auto Tech Plastics is the maker of the new Flex Woody kit. For $899, they'll give you a set of contact appliques and plastic trim that extend over the tops of the doors and the hatch area for a more seamless Woody look.

It actually looks pretty good!

I actually like some of the old wood applications... on wagons... the problem is the Auto Tech Plastics over did the job. The front and rear tips don't flow with the lines of the Flex. The wood section is too thick... you need more paint on the bottom of the doors and on the top crown. The blond trim strips at the front of the front door and rear of the rear door make this application look the the Griswald's Family Truckster Wagon. Also the horizontal strakes in the doors are too much... a problem of having the top to bottom section too thick.

The Element woody makes me speechless... it doesn't even start to follow body lines.

Cue the Aztek woody next.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0