OH OH!

Congratulations. A new car is always a big deal...

Well, you've sure got that Ford loyalty and I've got tunnel vision (in your last link, the first thing I spotted was 2 GPs in the background....maybe that's "selective perception.")

Enjoy and I hope your kid enjoys the space.

Congratulations. A new car is always a big deal...

Well, you've sure got that Ford loyalty and I've got tunnel vision (in your last link, the first thing I spotted was 2 GPs in the background....maybe that's "selective perception.")

Enjoy and I hope your kid enjoys the space.

i can already tell, this thing uses more fuel than my 500. the freestyles had great real world mpg....i dont think this will quite match the 20+ those were getting. I gotta fill it tonight.

epa says 15/22 i think. i was predicting 17.5. it better not come in under that. insurance is DIRT CHEAP so that helps make up for it.

of course, you know that going into it......with a large crossover.

Edited by regfootball

Awesome, and very overlooked, choice! The Freestyle/Taurus X has always been one of my quiet favorites since intro, along with the 500/Taurus/Montego/Sable because they're all extremely solid and unusually well built and refined vehicles that also get better than expected fuel mileage and are loaded with space. Looks have been hit or miss, but that's about the only thing.

My father, the previously Ford hater in every way, even came around to the Freestyle so much after seeing them in person and me telling him people really got 20-25 mpg with them, and loved the space of the sedans and idea of "Volvo guts underneath".

It's bigger than an Edge, no doubt, but performance should be similar with the benefit being that--at least in my experience--the Taurus X still feels more solid and refined with considerably better materials and such than the Edge. You wanted a Flex, and as the Flex is now considered the "stylish Taurus X" and will faze it out, you just got the classy original one.

Great, great choice and the 2/3rds'ish price with a few miles is even better.

ok, i filled the tank and cruised a few miles.

the DIC after plunging to like 6 mpg in stop and go, came back around to 18.2 avg mpg in about 30 miles. this is with trips to 3 drive thrus, waiting, and lots of stoplight time.

i have no doubt road trips will exceed 20 mpg. if my wife (leadfoot) lays off the gas, if i get 18.5 consistently in town, i should not convulse. Freestyle owners got 22+ often with theirs. If i got one of these for myself, I would go FWD. you can really feel the added driveline friction of the AWD, and the added weight. I bet FWD gets at least 10% better mpg and feels more athletic.

Not that this car doesn't feel athletic though....for a crossover its great. Better than the Edge, IMHO. Maybe the upcoming Edge SPort is better. the ride and handling for this type of vehicle are really nice. the steering feel is great although it could be quicker ratio.

Funny story, I just tried to send myself a dirty text message......I wanted to hear how the Female Sync voice would read it back to me....not gonna repeat it but it had body parts and actions and stuff...........i accidentally sent it to my home phone.......i RUSHED into the house when i realized what i had done and my wife had just gotten off the phone......gave me the most puzzled look (the voice mail reads the text back to you in computer voice).

All i really wanted to do was send dirty texts to my wife when she is in the car driving. :)

Although, this morning, she tried to answer a call and her mom on the other end couldn't hear her. So she got frustrated and disconnected the phone from the Sync. I TOLD HER the WHOLE POINT is to figger out how to use it! and PLEASE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD TALK NORMALLY AND LOUD ENOUGH AND STRAIGHT FORWARD so the sync picks it up!!!!!!!!!!!!

you really have to struggle with un-tech savvy people. YEESH

Edited by regfootball

more notes

ok, the ride and handling and steering and overall, this thing is awesome for this type of vehicle. you sacrifice ultimate cargo space vs. a minivan or acadia but the vehicle DOES NOT feel huge, and visibility is tremendous vs. other crossovers. this was the right choice. drive this and an acadia back to back....the acadia has a bulkier feel. The acadia is great also, but the TRex just feels more carlike. Both are great vehicles.....the Acadia just feels a bit truckish in comparison.

i wish the seat height were the same as my 500....its a little higher....my 500's perfect. lower the front seat a couple inches.

It's too bad this thing has not caught on. I think it could easily co-exist with the Flex if it were MARKETED.

The whole thing is smooth as glass. The miles can go by effortlessly in this thing.

DIC is showing north of 18.5 for this tank. Hoping it can inch up to 19 with some judicious throttle application.

Still learning Sync.....it's gonna take awhile...HOWEVER, I just learned how to finally make my portable hard drive Sync compatible.....

Any device you want to use with Sync like a portable hard drive has to be FAT32. It was a beeoch figuring out how to backdoor it through vista to format a drive to FAT32 but right now I am copying all my itunes music library to the portable hard drive! I have like 90GB of mp3's which now I can just grab and go! in the car! I did a prelim test with a few folders and it worked beautifully! As soon as its done copying I will test it to see how it works with the 90GB on it. (its a 320gb drive).

This is huge.....if this works completely, it means no more CD's in the car, no more burning mp3 discs for the car....it means being able to have a backup copy of my entire library......handy and complete.

this is huge.

Awesome. I agree on the FWD--I stay away from AWD/4WD like the plague just because of the added drag, weight, maintenance and lack of need (well, except for dad's Subie...and he's been thinking of ways to get rid of it, until I stopped him), but that said, you will still have great traction in any kind of situation.

That EB look really takes it up a few levels. Hopefully wifee learns how to use the Sync quickly and doesn't give up--that would be a shame! Reminds me of my father and remote fobs when they don't unlock all the car doors on the first try..."seriously, just give me the key, and not this thing".

Sounds like it's going well and you made a very good choice!

My only question...does it have the power hatch option or the power folding middle row? I assume not, as it seems a ton of them don't, but I'm a power hatch fan and just play with them too much...great feature, if you have it.

Still learning Sync.....it's gonna take awhile...HOWEVER, I just learned how to finally make my portable hard drive Sync compatible.....

Any device you want to use with Sync like a portable hard drive has to be FAT32. It was a beeoch figuring out how to backdoor it through vista to format a drive to FAT32 but right now I am copying all my itunes music library to the portable hard drive! I have like 90GB of mp3's which now I can just grab and go! in the car! I did a prelim test with a few folders and it worked beautifully! As soon as its done copying I will test it to see how it works with the 90GB on it. (its a 320gb drive).

This is huge.....if this works completely, it means no more CD's in the car, no more burning mp3 discs for the car....it means being able to have a backup copy of my entire library......handy and complete.

this is huge.

Cool...so how do you synch the portable hard drive with the car---is there a USB or other connector on the head unit? Sounds great...

nope, the power hatch though i think would have been nice actually. the power folding seat maybe a bit gimmicky.

I actually dislike power hatches, because you can't cram bags and crap without the pinch-protection system interfering.

Does voice recognition/song selection work for hard drives/USB sticks as well? Or is it an iPod/MP3-player thing only?

there is a USB inside the console armrest thingie.

plug it in. simple as that. flash drives work best. ipods work.

mine is simply a portable 320gb western digital hdd....one USB plug...the USB powers the drive and provides the connection to the sync system and stereo.

all i did was copy the artist folders in my itunes library to the drive. it takes a couple minutes for sync to index it....but i amazed how fast sync finds tunes. I have about 90gb of tunes on the drive....sync finds whatever you want in a split second.

the drive must be formatted FAT32 and if you want sync to find a tune your mp3 has to be tagged correctly with artist name and track name and all of that. NTFS cannot be read by sync. Flash drives should be ok no matter what.

apparently if you have the DVD nav head unit you can use even more voice commands with sync as far as controlling radio functions, dvd entertainment system functions, second audio program in the rear, all of that.

you have this in your car....you won't want a car without it.

i am thinking my phone is not supported for downloading and having my text messages read to me. I need to figure out that part yet. It is phone dependent.

Edited by regfootball

Congrats...? :mellow:

You'll have to excuse me if I do not get

all giddy like a fat kid in a candy store

the day after easter. :rolleyes:

This Free-TaurusX-style is a perfect

example of a vehicle that reminds of how

"Ford" is still a four letter word starting

with F, & should only be spoken in anger.

That being said how does this have

anything to do with GM points on your

card, it's not new OR GM!?

Congrats Reg, although now we can't make fun of you for driving an ugly car now. :P

It's a TaurusX, how's that much better looking than

the Asstek? It looks like someone backed up into a

mailbox & smashed the tail light lens right from the

factory with those horrific, ugly "semi-euro" lenses.

you have this in your car....you won't want a car without it.

NO I DO NOT.

But that was spoken like a true brainwashed consumer. :AH-HA_wink:

I'd rather have a hole in my head than be obsessed with

new technology... it does NOTHING for me, and most car

nuts I know would give a crap less either. To each his

own I guess but I have a "mental list" of about 50 more

important features in a car...

Congrats...? :mellow:

You'll have to excuse me if I do not get

all giddy like a fat kid in a candy store

the day after easter. :rolleyes:

This Free-TaurusX-style is a perfect

example of a vehicle that reminds of how

"Ford" is still a four letter word starting

with F, & should only be spoken in anger.

That being said how does this have

anything to do with GM points on your

card, it's not new OR GM!?

It's a TaurusX, how's that much better looking than

the Asstek? It looks like someone backed up into a

mailbox & smashed the tail light lens right from the

factory with those horrific, ugly "semi-euro" lenses.

used ford = better than a GM i guess.

seriously, compare the x or the edge etc. to a say, equinox or uplander, its fairly quick and obvious which one you would rather make a commitment to a payment book to.

new technology...

I'm a tech nut, I'll admit it...working in the computer software industry, I'm always interested in the Next Big Thing...the next cool gadget...and naturally, that extends to cars as well...always looking forward. The past is gone, no point in dwell on or in it..

Edited by moltar

NO I DO NOT.

hmmm, like what exactly.......? or are you just mad its not a pillarless hardtop?

hmmm, like what exactly.......? or are you just mad its not a pillarless hardtop?

Who knows? It's not BOF, not a hardtop, doesn't have a pushrod V8 and a carb... 68 will never accept the modern world, I'm afraid..best to just ignore his sad, delusionary rants... :)

Edited by moltar

NO I DO NOT.

Actually in a strange sort of a way I would agree. The cars I am in lust over right now are the original Benz Patentwagen from 1896, several brass era cars from the teens, a Lotus Elise, a Lotus Elite, A spec Miata, an Austin Healy 3000 Mk III, an Ariel Atom, A cobra Replica...

I would guess that having 50 LESS features is important in a car to me.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

Who knows? It's not BOF, not a hardtop, doesn't have a pushrod V8 and a carb... 68 will never accept the modern world, I'm afraid..best to just ignore his sad, delusionary rants... :)

Yes, but he's passionate about them. Or perhaps he's just really sent here from Toyota to spy on us, and in reality he drives a Camry and wears Scion related clothing and wants everyone to sing Kum-buy-ya and drive a Prius.

He's just under really deep cover...

Chris

I'm a tech nut, I'll admit it...working in the computer software industry, I'm always interested in the Next Big Thing...the next cool gadget...and naturally, that extends to cars as well...always looking forward. The past is gone, no point in dwell on or in it..

Actually I love both. I love Brass era,classical (1930's Rolls, Caddy, Kissel, Stutz, etc.), 50's, 60's....even the 70's and 80's had cool cars (240Z or Buick Grand National anyone).

Life is too short to miss any of it.

Including the present. There are lots of cars I love being built right now.

Chris

'66 Stang:

Except for that very twisted and scary thought of me

as a Toypet-humper, I agree 100%.

If I could, (all that stops me is lack of $$$) I'd be

daily driving a 1950s 80-100% original car with one

speaker in the dashboard (remember REVERB?!)

and if and when I wanted to get some great 'tunes

on I'd install a hidden CD/AM/FM/HD/MP3-player &

decent 6-speaker+ subwoofer setup.

I had my '68 Camaro for almost 4 years & never

in that whole tiome was there a Radio installed in

the car, for the record the HVAC was deleted too

as it had been a genuine drag car for half its life.

I'd take that car, THAT way, restored, over any

new Ford including the GT(40)... well if I got a GT

I could sell it and buy a rough btu restorable '30s

Cadillac 452 V16 but that's 'nother story. :P

Radios are for cars who's engines are either near

silent or do not make any sound worth listening to,

interesting or otherwise.

thats all fine and dandy.

i enjoy tunes in my car, and i enjoy that i don't have to shuffle through a gazillian cd's, 8 tracks, or tapes, to bring along my entire collection for wide open volume at a moments notice.

i enjoy being able to tell the computer voice beesh what i want to hear and not have to dig through a box of cd's to do it.

i enjoy being able to make a phone call without endangering myself on the road doing so.

i would venture to say i am in the majority as opposed to those who don't even want climate control. get a motorcycle if you don't want climate control.

by the way, even my 85+ year old father in law enjoys his nav unit someone got him for a gift recently.

NAV, mp3's, cell phone integration, etc....all more important to many consumers today than whether the car has a b pillar or not.

thats all fine and dandy.

i enjoy tunes in my car, and i enjoy that i don't have to shuffle through a gazillian cd's, 8 tracks, or tapes, to bring along my entire collection for wide open volume at a moments notice.

i would venture to say i am in the majority as opposed to those who don't even want climate control. get a motorcycle if you don't want climate control.

NAV, mp3's, cell phone integration, etc....all more important to many consumers today than whether the car has a b pillar or not.

Agreed...I think most of us that are living in <reality> appreciate modern features in a car...HVAC, AM/FM/CD/iPod integration, power everything, heated seats, 4 wheel disc brakes w/ ABS, safety features, etc. I want all the goodies.

I appreciate the oldies also..fun to look at at car shows, but certainly not something I'd want to deal with everyday...

At any rate... [i agree to disagree politey] congrats on buying domestic. :)

Regarding the ongoing debate about old vs new:

Old cars > new cars. Always. End of story.

HOWEVER

For day to day use, I think at least semi-modern is the way to go, at least around here in New England (or other regions with similar weather patterns) where the winters and the gratuitous use of salt in said winters dictate that everybody has to put their neat stuff away for five months a year. I know I like starting a fuel injected vehicle on a freezing cold day much better than I do a carbureted one. I feel like a big enough ass driving a squeaky clean 18 year-old Suburban year-round, never mind a car that is 40 or more years old. But I'd probably driving a 50's or 60's something year-round if I lived in a climate that allowed me to. Not showroom perfect so I would be afraid to leave it anywhere, but something clean and presentable.

In other words.....

Modern cars are absolutely necessary because people need something to sacrifice to the elements and mundane crap without feeling bad. 98% of them are devoid of all substance, style, personality, and will have zero long-term value. Perfect for the day-to-day bull&#036;h&#33;. Once again, what would you rather take out in the salt and slush or let get dinged and dented in the grocery store parking lot? A brand new plastic jellybean or a 50 year-old classic that looks like Buck Rogers's rocketship? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Regarding having modern music in old vehicles:

Gotta have it, but it has to be done right. People with big loud retarded stereos are idiots. And people who put them in old cars are double idiots. I can't tell you how much it burns my ass to see a beautifully restored car with a CD player hacked into the dash, cheap speakers hacked into the door panels, and a box with subs in the trunk. People that do that &#036;h&#33; should be stabbed in the neck. I know a guy that rebuilds the guts of antique car radios to have AM/FM, and even adds a jack in the back so you can plug in your iPod and enjoy all your modern tunes through the stock radio and high-quality modern speakers of the same size as the originals mounted in the stock locations. Why that method doesn't appeal to people I don't understand. It's the best of both worlds: modern music with the original appearance. You'd think it would be a no-brainer.

Yup... I agree with 99% of that, although I will say

there was something very cool & refreshing about

my '62 Buick's lack of a choke... the car WOULD

not start when the block was ice cold unless you

somehow choked the hell out of that little carb. My

solution, since I drive off to work between 3:00 &

3:30 in the MORNING was to drill a few holes in a

soup can. I simply popped the hood using the

external release in the morning, spun the big nut

on the air-cleaener and removed it placing it on

or around the radiator support, then I plopped the

soup-can on the carb, pumped the gas pedal twice

& turned that little lumpy little fireball V6 over for

no more than 2-3 sec and the car would be good

to go, then, after I inhaled my pop-tarts or bagel,

I'd replace the air cleaner & drop the hood.

Some, er... MOST people would find that annoying

and would immediately instal a choke cable, but I

thought it was a fun reminder every morning that

I was driving a car that was manufactured during

the dawn of JFKs presidency!

Now THAT, my friends, is how you separatee the

MEN from the BOYS!

I'd gladdly put up with that little quirk to get that

car back, add that little Buick Special to the list of

cars I'd love to have back, it was quick as a bunny,

more fun to drive than some muscle cars I've had

the chance to sample & it got 15mpg 100% CITY!

How you going to beat that while still driving a car

assembled in 1961?

Oh, and the purchase price was $800!!!

<good times> :spin:

Regarding the ongoing debate about old vs new:

Old cars > new cars. Always. End of story.

I would agree, but for 95% of my married life I've owned either an Astro/Safari van or an S-10 or both.

Having a reliable newer car that runs through anything and starts when it is ten below saves lots O) dinero to own a cool collector car.

I'm thinking VERY seriously about a third gen F-body, and if I get one it damn sure is NOT going to see an Ohio winter.

Chris

'66 Stang:

Except for that very twisted and scary thought of me

as a Toypet-humper, I agree 100%.

If I could, (all that stops me is lack of $$$) I'd be

daily driving a 1950s 80-100% original car with one

speaker in the dashboard (remember REVERB?!)

and if and when I wanted to get some great 'tunes

on I'd install a hidden CD/AM/FM/HD/MP3-player &

decent 6-speaker+ subwoofer setup.

I had my '68 Camaro for almost 4 years & never

in that whole tiome was there a Radio installed in

the car, for the record the HVAC was deleted too

as it had been a genuine drag car for half its life.

I'd take that car, THAT way, restored, over any

new Ford including the GT(40)... well if I got a GT

I could sell it and buy a rough btu restorable '30s

Cadillac 452 V16 but that's 'nother story. :P

Radios are for cars who's engines are either near

silent or do not make any sound worth listening to,

interesting or otherwise.

I've owned 7 "collector" or "special interest" type cars...55 Chevrolet 2 door post, 57 Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop (yeah, it lacked that "B" pillar thing) 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback (289, 4 speed) 1970 Chevelle, 1971 Chevelle, 1991 Miata, 2002 Miata.

With the 5 oldies...you couldn't hear the radio over the thumping V-8 even if you turned it all the way up.

With the two newer ones, you can't hear the radio at 75 M.P.H. with the top down...

So who cares.

We need to start a thrtead about cars from the teens, twenties and thirties...just wayyy to much cool stuff we've forgotten about.

...and yes, I know you'd never be a Toyopet humper.

However, I've got to give it to reg. and his fine feathered Ford. I remember many a pleasant weekend tailgating football games with my parents Country Squire wagons. It will be really cool to have reg carry on that tradition in his new ride.

Congrats again reg, I can't own everything, and in my own way I am jealous.

Chris

Old cars are cool, no doubt. But in <reality>, whether it is the heat of summer or the dread of winter, or the dark of knight, I like having something that I know pretty much 100% is going to start and get me where I'm going and back without breaking down. And driving something current, made in this decade, I don't care if it gets totalled--the insurance will buy me another one. I love the creature comforts of a modern car---the heated seats, good cupholders, cold A/C, factory integrated sound system (no aftermarket hacked in crap), etc. Old cars are fun toys for the occasional drive or to take to a car show, but I wouldn't want to be depending on one to get me to work, to the airport, to the grocery, etc.

My GC is starting to be an old car now (8 years old, almost 100k miles, but it has never let me down, I keep up w/ the maintenance religiously), so I need to figure out what my next new car is going to be...

Edited by moltar

my retort: classic/old beater land yacht always makes any day/night/dull winter day exciting.

I never get bored of an old carburated pushrod V8 turning over, it's so much more viceral,

so much more manly & a delight to the senses... a loud bellowing catalitic-converter-less

torque monster w. a lumpy idle, the smell of a '50s or '60s GM interior... the squeak as the

rear 1/4 windows drop down, the patina of decades old gauges and vibration of a big, nasty

V8 as it reaches redline (my '68 Camaro reveed to 7000 as if a BMW's I6) and a million

other details that excite the senses!

That's something even a $100,000 worth of '09 car will NEVER offer.... even when it becomes

a "classic" (to use the term losely) in 2024...