Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

pc speed fans

loki

I caught a headline recently that Intel announced some completely new type of processor technology that will be out soon--anybody know what I'm talking about?

It could be where they have the integrated memory controller in their new 'Nehalem' (Core i7) processors. AMD has had it for years, but it's a big deal for Intel because it means that it'll eliminate AMD's last real competitive advantage.

They are also working on 'Larrabee' , which is going to be a dedicated graphics solution that will rival nVidia's, and AMD/ATI's offerings.

It will be great if it is true. Up to now 2.6ghz has the been the highest stock clock of a Phenom CPU, which is heavily criticized.

I have strong doubts though; this is almost definitely a fake. Going from 65nm to 45nm won't suddenly allow the CPU to clock into the 4ghz range, especially at a much lower voltage than current stock (even though initial reports show that Deneb uses considerably lower wattage than Agena). There isn't a huge difference between current Phenoms and the new Deneb core Phenoms, other than the process size and the extra cache. When AMD went from 90nm to 65nm, their 90nm CPU's held the highest stock clock speeds for quite a while still. I have a feeling we're only going to see modest bumps in stock clocks, maybe a 2.8ghz chip at launch.

As it is, combined with the AMD SB750, the highest non-suicide overclocks Phenoms have seen is 3.4ghz or so, with very high voltages. I run mine at 3.0ghz at stock voltage, however I have a very very good chip. Many Phenoms won't be able to even hit 3.0ghz regardless of voltage.

I really hope I am wrong but everything about this news bit screams fake.

I really hope I am wrong but everything about this news bit screams fake.

i seem skeptical too. the low voltage has to be to keep it cool...ish.

but it would be very cool if it's true... unless it's just a fake as in the cpuid is just not reading it right?

you have a SB750 board? liking it?

i'm waiting till after thanksgiving till maybe next summer to replace my hardware. an XP3000+ 1gb ram x800radeon

i seem skeptical too. the low voltage has to be to keep it cool...ish.

but it would be very cool if it's true... unless it's just a fake as in the cpuid is just not reading it right?

you have a SB750 board? liking it?

i'm waiting till after thanksgiving till maybe next summer to replace my hardware. an XP3000+ 1gb ram x800radeon

My MB has the 600 south bridge, which is a lower end chip. AMD's SB750 uses a particular connection between the CPU and SB (directly) to somehow boost overclocking head room by 100-300 mhz. Tests by hardware sites have confirmed it, but no one seems to know exactly how it does it yet.

I have a Phenom X3 8450 at 3030mhz right now. My motherboard hit a bus speed wall at 289 so I can't find the full potential of my CPU until I get a better overclocking motherboard, maybe once more SB750 boards come out I'll pick one up.

One problem with AMD's Quad line has been the lack of a good supporting motherboard, at least last time I looked around. Intel's Quad ,meanwhile has several highly rated mobos to choose from.

the 790fx chipset boards are kinda expensive. but you can find 790gx boards that are rated to run the 9950's power requests for around $120, these have the SB750. 780g's are from 70-100 having the SB700. supposedly the nvidia chipsets have nearly caught up with the 8x00 line. overall the 700 series chipsets have been given good reviews for their low prices , efficiencies, and options, great for HTPCs. intel still has the edge in raw power over AMD, but unless you're a hardcore gamer with a 24"+ screen either company has many good options for people.

BS. I think its 3.0ghz and 3.4 ghz and the Super Pi (modded) for the 3.4 still takes 20 seconds. While my Intel Qx9450 at stock churns out 17 seconds.

I switched from an Asus Crosshair 6000+ to a Evga 790i ultra QX9450 4gb DDR3 8800 ultra which might be replaced with 2 or 3 GTX 280's. I think its Intel's Generation and their new cores are going to have the memory controllers imbeded so thats one of the few things AMD always had but not anymore.

vista? it could have a hemi under hood and if its vista, it's still a slow ass machine. vista sucks.

Seriously? WTF is wrong with Vista? Its not slow. Its very Stable. It looks modern. I have been running Vista since the Beta and never had any problems. I'm running vista and give me any app and we will see whats better.

My MB has the 600 south bridge, which is a lower end chip. AMD's SB750 uses a particular connection between the CPU and SB (directly) to somehow boost overclocking head room by 100-300 mhz. Tests by hardware sites have confirmed it, but no one seems to know exactly how it does it yet.

I have a Phenom X3 8450 at 3030mhz right now. My motherboard hit a bus speed wall at 289 so I can't find the full potential of my CPU until I get a better overclocking motherboard, maybe once more SB750 boards come out I'll pick one up.

Thats very good for the Phenom Is that Air Or Water?

I've tried Vista 3 times now. I use it on my laptop because I have to, but I only do minimal college-related things on there. On my desktop I can't get used to it, I've removed it all 3 times. Even after customizing it and using vLite and making it work how I want, I still don't like it as well as XP.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, but then again, it looked too good to be true. Real shame, because I like the 'Spider' platform concept, and was considering building an AMD/ATI combo in the not-too-distant future.

The good news though, is that AMD is unloading its TV-chip unit, which will help in restructuring.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=21465

Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition that got a shrink in TDP and instead of 140W, it has a 125W rating....

Black Edition Phenom X3 8730 with a 2.4 GHz clock, a 95W TDP and an unlocked multiplier for $139, the $105-priced Athlon X2 6500 Black Edition and the energy efficient Athlon X2 5050e

interesting news, not f'n awesome, but more options are never bad...provided the prices are good.

edit:

alsophenom X2's going to europe

AMD has started shipping AMD Phenom X2 GE-6400 (1.90GHz, 1MB of L2 cache, 2MB L3 cache), AMD Phenom GE-6500 (2.10GHz, 1MB of L2 cache, 2MB L3 cache) and AMD Phenom GE-6600 (2.30GHz, 1MB of L2 cache, 2MB L3 cache)

hopefully they come here soon, they will prolly overclock very well. hopefully they'll be semi cheap..or just push the athlonx2's even cheaper. sounds like great budget chips.

Edited by loki

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=21465

interesting news, not f'n awesome, but more options are never bad...provided the prices are good.

edit:

alsophenom X2's going to europe

hopefully they come here soon, they will prolly overclock very well. hopefully they'll be semi cheap..or just push the athlonx2's even cheaper. sounds like great budget chips.

what Free?

I mean the 6000+ x2 is like 99 dollars for 3.0 ghz and 2mb cache. the most expensive part of building a pc now is shipping it seems.

what Free?

I mean the 6000+ x2 is like 99 dollars for 3.0 ghz and 2mb cache. the most expensive part of building a pc now is shipping it seems.

people "out there" are pushing the 5400 x2 BE to 3.4ghz and that chip is $77 on newegg right now. it's only got 1mb cache, but is a lower power part.

That's some really aggressive pricing... especially with the 9950 becoming cheaper than the Q6600. Still, the 'overclockability' of Intel's cheapest quad still easily makes it the more compelling bargain. It's a real shame that AMD is finding itself competing with a previous generation model.

I'm really hoping AMD pulls a rabbit out of its hat with their 45nm products. They certainly worked some real magic with the 4000-series Radeons, and it sounds like their SB800, and chipset is going to be a great piece of work.

That's some really aggressive pricing... especially with the 9950 becoming cheaper than the Q6600. Still, the 'overclockability' of Intel's cheapest quad still easily makes it the more compelling bargain. It's a real shame that AMD is finding itself competing with a previous generation model.

I'm really hoping AMD pulls a rabbit out of its hat with their 45nm products. They certainly worked some real magic with the 4000-series Radeons, and it sounds like their SB800, and chipset is going to be a great piece of work.

I heard that AMD might let the prices slide a bit more to see what happens..it should be interesting....

http://en.expreview.com/2008/09/09/updatep...s/#comment-5222

quick bench of the phenomx2 using superpi. it beats an x2 clocked the same by ~6 seconds ~18%

http://eprim.org/2008/09/11/graphics/amd-h...late-september/

ati has moved all the chip power down a step.. ~3650 down to the lowgrade 4450.. ~3850 down to midgrade 4670.

• 2 weeks later...