rule #2

just wondering if it needs clarifying, or to be strictly enforced.

or would just a room need to be created for strictly that purpose?

I think the topic is important to more than a few people on here, can something be worked out?

I'm on record as being against this rule, but it is up to the entire moderating staff to decide.

gotcha. anymore care to voice an opinion about this? anyone of authority on here?

No authority here, but I too felt we had reached an informal consensus that 'we can handle it'. Thusly; I am opposed to 'rule #2'.

Sure, there are other political sites... but maybe many of us would like to debate among people we 'know' here, plus an automotive element would be sure to creep in & out, keeping it tangentially topical.

It's an election year- I call for a vote !

No authority here, but I too felt we had reached an informal consensus that 'we can handle it'. Thusly; I am opposed to 'rule #2'.

Sure, there are other political sites... but maybe many of us would like to debate among people we 'know' here, plus an automotive element would be sure to creep in & out, keeping it tangentially topical.

It's an election year- I call for a vote !

I have raised the issue officially in the past, and will do so again.

But yes, we have come to something of a consensus about handling it.

Also, when was the last time you saw a political thread locked or deleted? :AH-HA_wink:

I agree, rule no. 2 is obsolete like laser-disks.

Mix politics with abortion, as the closed thread was evolving, and it was a time bomb. Politics, religion and abortion are all very sensitive subjects for just about everyone. I just think there is too much potential for bitterness, which could spread to other sections of the forum. I think the rule should hold, at least in The Lounge. It's a place for winding down and relaxing, hence the name, at least for me.

If you guys all want to discuss politics, can we at least give the subject a separate section, to try to keep the inevitable vitriol contained? My .02c.

Mix politics with abortion, as the closed thread was evolving, and it was a time bomb. Politics, religion and abortion are all very sensitive subjects for just about everyone. I just think there is too much potential for bitterness, which could spread to other sections of the forum. I think the rule should hold, at least in The Lounge. It's a place for winding down and relaxing, hence the name, at least for me.

If you guys all want to discuss politics, can we at least give the subject a separate section, to try to keep the inevitable vitriol contained? My .02c.

Dude, with all this anxiety, I hope you have your Xanax ready whenever you visit the site in case you might accidentally stumble into a contentious thread. :AH-HA_wink:

On a more serious note, ocn, where do you draw the line? You have posted many topics in the past about gay rights (overtly political), and no one cares or gets riled up. You mention abortion and politics and religion (abortion really isn't its own separate category...) as this nasty time bomb, but I'll have you know loki and I finished our conversation on that via PM since the thread was prematurely locked.

With 100% confidence, I don't think loki and I are at each others' throats.

C&G is a pretty tight-knit community. Most of us already know where the regular posters are in the political spectrum. For some of us, we have no other online forum we regularly visit, and it's good to know where the other people come from when they post. The upcoming election will profoundly affect our country, whichever way the votes materialize. If the forums are filled with namecalling and vitriol, then that is unacceptable and should be subject to moderation. But we are better than that and are capable of intelligent discourse, and we may be able to learn a thing or two from each other.

With 100% confidence, I don't think loki and I are at each others' throats.

:deathwatch:

no, just kidding. lol

ideally, "we" should be able to talk about anything, yes, anything.... other than the purely distasteful.

with proper personal restraint, the only things the admins should have to do is keep the site going, not intervene

with threads that might get heated, but never boil over.

I don't mind the odd political interlude, as long as it's civil, and people bring interesting points to the debate. I'm always happy to read other people's opinions, because I like to keep an open mind, and not be tied with one ideology, etc.

Other forum's political discussions all seem to disintegrate really fast though, with maturity thrown out the window. :(

• 2 weeks later...