Spy Shot: Chevy Volt caught from the beltline up

Cool..looks like it has ordinary side glass instead of the funky glass of the concept, but I didn't expect that detail to make it to production. Looks like it has ordinary FWD proportions rather the wheels-forward look of the concept. Oh well. Between pic 1 and 2 you get a pretty good feel for how it's going to look overall.

I'm wondering about the black roof and the area at the bottom of the hatch...is that black paint or glass?

Edited by moltar

This looks pretty much nothing like the concept and doesn't look markedly better than what we have seen of the next Prius or the Honda GSH.

I bet if it had a Toyota badge on it then everyone would be calling it ugly.

The watering down continues.

This looks pretty much nothing like the concept and doesn't look markedly better than what we have seen of the next Prius or the Honda GSH.

No, it doesn't look like the concept. Otherwise (as usual) you are entirely off the mark.

This is the first "green" car that doesn't look entirely like crap.

Watered down?

No, I don't think so.

I would call this car actualized.

The concept was a "dream car" in the truest sense. While I was disappointed to learn that such a great-looking shape would not make production, I've come to understand the reason for it. I also hold out some hope that another variant might toss the aerodynamic concerns to the curb and adopt the aggressive styling of the Volt concept down the road. For this car, the first of its kind, the decision to maximize the aero makes sense.

As much as I loved the in-your-face styling of the concept, this car now hits the sweet spot of current styling with precision. To me it looks like a premium European compact, and gives a sense of quality through its design alone. It says "we are good enough to deliver this technology without building a clown car" - something Toyota only wishes it could do. In fact, the redesign looks great on its own merits. It has the look that appeals to the most 'green aware" demographic out there, the younger car buyers. I see this design having massive appeal to those who love cars like the Mini and GTI just based on its styling alone. That is just the sort of buyer GM needs to bring into the fold, and this car will do that. There will be huge enthusiasm for the Volt among buyers that represent the future of the car business, and that is how GM has a shot to right the ship. It will have to be followed by other hits of the same caliber of course, but right now it is a huge leap in the right direction.

Make no mistake, the Volt changes everything.

YOU would comment like this. I love it, I think it looks really badass.

It is different than the concept but we all knew that. It has a very clean design from what I can see, and has some nice design cues. The current Prius is ugly. I have not seen a production NG Prius so I can't make a comment about it yet.

Sorry, but I don't find cars attractive that look like the mini vacuum cleaner we used to own 15 years ago.

Styling is all a matter of opinion, but show these two pictures to anyone without telling them what they are and I bet 90% favor the Volt.

6070119.001.1M.jpg

volt-t2-1280.jpg

Edited by mustang84

That Volt is beautiful - as I did like the concept and all it's quirky details I was concerned about what would happen when it was made 'realistic' for production. I am pleasantly suprised! i would be PROUD to drive that car.

And the next gen Prius shown above, as much as I hate everything Toyota, is a marked improvement over the current car. Lamborghini must of had some left over headlights for that design, but overall, I think it is much more attractive than the outgoing unit. And do not forget that when it comes to the Prius, people WANT it to be different looking all over. They WANT to stand out to show the world that THEY are saving the planet. That Humpback Sea Turtle look is on purpose to make it stand out on the road. And they will all be snobs on the road when driving them 45 mph on the freeway and sneering at us whizzing by as we heat the atmosphere with all things internal combustion. Please do not be this way when the Volt hits the streets. Show the Toyo boys that the Chevrolet can drive WITH traffic and not hold it up in the name of snobbery. :Toyota:

Sorry, but I don't find cars attractive that look like the mini vacuum cleaner we used to own 15 years ago.

Styling is all a matter of opinion, but show these two pictures to anyone without telling them what they are and I bet 90% favor the Volt.

6070119.001.1M.jpg

volt-t2-1280.jpg

YES! Makes the good styling more obvious when you put it like that.

The Volt looks fantastic from what I can see, which is a lot thanks the that video. I think it looks better than the concept. This car really will change everything.

Don't mind GXT, he is just pissing in the wind because he has to eat crow...recall back when the Volt was first reported for production that he said it would never happen.

Edited by Dodgefan

Hard to tell from the steep angle, but it looks good so far. I assume the side mirrors, roof, and lower grille/inlets will be body colored on production models, and I think I will like it better that way. It will probably come with more normal-sized wheels too.

The Volt looks fantastic from what I can see, which is a lot thanks the that video. I think it looks better than the concept. This car really will change everything.

Don't mind GXT, he is just pissing in the wind because he has to eat crow...recall back when the Volt was first reported for production that he said it would never happen.

I may yet eat crow, but it isn't quite the time.

All I am saying is that it looks like an average and bland, small car with some ugly side mirrors attempting to over-emphasize some non-existent charging ports (hopefully that is just for transformers and will be removed from the production vehicle). Some of the adjectives being thrown around here seem silly to me. "Average" comes to mind, not "Hot" or "Fantastic". The Toyota Matrix, Honda City, Honda Fit, etc. all look as good (if not better) and they are budget cars.

2011 is a long way off for the first year of a car that looks like that... especially after over a year of GM advertising the concept.

Hard to tell from the steep angle, but it looks good so far. I assume the side mirrors, roof, and lower grille/inlets will be body colored on production models, and I think I will like it better that way. It will probably come with more normal-sized wheels too.

I certainly hope NONE of that is the case.

The devil is in the details, especially this day in age. The details make the design IMO.