Sketch Competition #27 - GM's Next Sport Compact

Welcome to Sketch Competition #27!

05.chevrolet.colbalt.ss.r34.500.jpg

Efficiency is the name, speed and handling is the game: will you step up to the plate? GM hit the nail on the head with the 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo, setting records on the Nurburgring and being named one of the top fun-factor cars on the market while retaining good gas mileage. However, it's time for a new era. One where GM's sport compact car doesn't just set performance records, but one that is exceptionally beautiful and high quality on the inside and out.

Should you accept, your task will be to design GM's next high-revving Sport Compact coupe from Chevy, Pontiac, or Saturn. FWD, AWD, or RWD, you tell us. However, this car should have the capability of sitting 4-5 people, having trunk and storage room, and still be designed to take on the best. Whether you think the Camaro and Corvette need a new little brother, the Sky needs a stable-mate, or the G5 needs a kick in the butt is all on you. We just want to see what you're thinking!

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
*3/4 Front View
*3/4 Rear View
*Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 2-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Please adhere to the 800x600 guidelines.

Deadline is Sunday, September 27th @ 11:59PM your local time. (this may get extended due to number of entries)

Good luck!

Return of the Pontiac Sunbird. This time, NOT as a cheap, subcompact, but a compact(that is now, NOT a Chevy rebadge but a unique Pontiac design like Fiero was, even if it has to share the engine with other division) in Turbocharged RWD, in Coupe or Sedan variation.

PONTIAC NIGHTHAWK (an inexpensive 4 seat sports car just above G5 and below G6 in starting price.)

Draws_Pontiac_Nighthawk1.jpg

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

I appreciate that the new competition is pretty much for exactly the kind of vehicle that I drew for the last competition. <_< That said, I'm not sure If I'll participate this time around.

Really? I thought yours looked a lot more like an economical "compact" than a racy "sport compact."

aww i did a really good and long drawing for this one but the site wont upload it off my computer

www.imageshack.us

1. Host your photo(s) there.

2. Get the address to the photo (in IE: right click pic, click "Properties," copy the Address (URL) -- in Firefox: right click pic, press "Copy Image Location").

3. Come back to this thread.

4. Press Reply to Thread button.

5. Type the following:

[img=THIS IS WHERE THE PICTURE(S) ADDRESS(ES) GO!]

Edited by NOS2006

GP, the fronts of your cars are getting extremely wide and squished now. The front end looks like it's been sat on by an elephant. And it hangs out waaay past the tires, like further than the length of your doors. And your A-pillars are getting way steep.

I do appreciate that you're trying to do things a little bit different up front, like your curvy headlamps and... well that's about it. Everything else looks the same.

Really? I thought yours looked a lot more like an economical "compact" than a racy "sport compact."

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that. Mine was the rear-engined, tubro-charged Corvair hardtop coupe. I don't understand how that isn't "sporty".

I have; however, started a possible entry for this comp. but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. It's kinda like a Chevy Mini, but I might do something else instead. I know this is a GM site, but I'm seriously getting sick of drawing GM cars. I'm gonna go draw a Plymouth or something.

CHEVY HERO

Aveo replacement (5door, 3door, sedan)

I was torn between names when i drew this. I thought Aveo was too boring, but i was coming up with things like Ambush and Swordfish that i thought were a bit too extreme for a car such as this. Ultimately, i thought Hero was a good bet because that's just what Chevy needs. Enjoy....

chevyherohl9.jpg

A rear view and possibly a sportier (Super Hero?) version still to come

It definitely looks much better than the Aveo. I'm not crazy about the name. I would resurrect the "Nova" name for this car.

It definitely looks much better than the Aveo. I'm not crazy about the name. I would resurrect the "Nova" name for this car.

Believe it or not i thought about calling it the Nova, but i hear that Nova means "no-go" in Spanish, so i decided to come up with something new. I had some names that i thought were too extreme like "Ambush" and "Swordfish" that just didn't seem right on a small car, but i also didn't want it to be called Aveo.

Believe it or not i thought about calling it the Nova, but i hear that Nova means "no-go" in Spanish, so i decided to come up with something new. I had some names that i thought were too extreme like "Ambush" and "Swordfish" that just didn't seem right on a small car, but i also didn't want it to be called Aveo.

By Brian Akre

Director, Executive Communications & Global Corporate News Department

Ever come across a story that just seemed too good, funny or ironic to be true?

Take the tale of the Chevy Nova’s alleged poor sales in Spanish-speaking countries in the 1970s: GM allegedly failed to do its homework and learn what any student of Spanish 101 knows: That “no va” translates into “no go.” Or so the story goes.

That cautionary tale has appeared in numerous marketing textbooks and still keeps popping up in news stories and at seminars as an anecdote to illustrate how companies sometimes don’t do adequate research before introducing a new product overseas (imagine, GM being accused of not doing enough research!).

Only problem with the story: It’s bogus. False. Never happened.

But don’t take our word for it. There’s a handy web site that tests the claims of this and other “urban legends” of the corporate, Internet and generic varieties. It’s www.snopes.com, and it should be bookmarked on the computer of every journalist, analyst and academic. It includes an automotive section at www.snopes.com/autos.

According to the site’s “Urban Legends Reference Pages,” the Nova actually sold well in the Spanish-speaking counties where it was sold between ‘72 and ’78. It notes that GM was well aware of the translation and opted to retain the Nova name because the issue was deemed insignificant.

“The phrase “no va” and the word “nova” are distinct entities with different pronunciations in Spanish,” snopes.com reports. “Assuming that Spanish speakers would naturally see the word “nova” as equivalent to the phrase “no va” and think, `Hey, this car doesn’t go,’ is akin to assuming that English speakers would spurn a dinette set sold under the name “Notable” because nobody wants a dinette set that doesn’t include a table.”

To read the full story of the Nova/No Va legend, go to: www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah, sorry DieHard. I've been just a little busy with other matters right now (getting the Cutlass's paint lined out among other personal issues). That, and I realized an error with the new voting process I have to address to Dodgefan the next time I am on a computer equipped with MSN Messenger. My apologies. There will be a voting thread when things are in line again, which will not be long, I promise.