HHR CONCEPT

Guest Josh

Some vehicles defy definition. They’re neither sedan, nor wagon, nor SUV. That is the case with the HHR Concept – a vehicle capable of delivering passengers, cargo and plenty of fun in a wider-than-production model configuration.

Already a great-looking vehicle in its production form, HHR Concept takes styling to new heights. The four doors of the production HHR are replaced by two doors that have been stretched 6 inches for style and functionality. At the same time, the B-pillars have been leaned forward, resulting in a coupe-like profile. Up front, HHR Concept features a new hood, a new eggcrate grille with chrome surrounds and new front fascia with polished billet air ducts. Also, the windshield header has been dropped 4 inches for a chopped look.

HHR Concept is a wide body – 2 inches wider up front and a full 4 inches in back, with front and rear tracks widened accordingly. At the same time, the ride height has been lowered 3 inches in the front and 3.5 inches in the rear (show height; it has been lowered 1.75 inches and 2 inches front/rear for ride height). The result is a vehicle made for cruising that screams stability and performance.

And while sometimes looks can be deceiving, that is not the case with HHR Concept. Under the hood, HHR Concept’s muscle stems from its supercharged 2.0L engine, which delivers 270 horsepower (201 kw) at 5600 rpm. Other HHR Concept performance features include large-diameter brake rotors and calipers, a performance exhaust system, GM-designed 19-inch aluminum wheels up front and 20-inchers in back that are mounted with low-profile BF Goodrich performance tires.

Inside, HHR Concept is designed to deliver practicality and pleasure, whether it’s a short hop to the club across town or a cross-country trip. Surfboards and other large items fit easily within the vehicle, which features a light Zebra wood bed floor with brushed aluminum strips and no rear seats. Playtime is further enhanced by upgraded stereo equipment, including a Pioneer audio and navigation system with iPod adapter. The interior is trimmed in Apple Green leather and Casper White soft-touch with gray leather and titanium accents.

Vehicle Highlights

2.0L Ecotec supercharged engine with GM Accessories Stage Two package, delivering 270 hp (201 kw) @ 5600 rpm
Performance exhaust system
Large-diameter brake rotors and calipers
19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 9-inch aluminum wheels
Front and rear fender flares
Lengthened front doors
Smooth rear body
New front and rear fascias
New grille
Casper White three-stage glass-bead and pearl exterior paint
Lowered suspension
50/50 split rear liftglass / tailgate
Flat load floor with light Zebra wood and brushed aluminum strips
New cluster face and lighting
Enhanced Pioneer stereo and navigation system with iPod adapter

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks pretty sweet to me! The front could use a little touching up I think, but everything else screams "cool!"

[post="36355"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think our thoughts would really matter to GM. If they built one it would look nothing like this. You think it would really come to market with that suspension? The dual exhaust built into the rear? Those rims? No door handles? It's a shame because if they did bring it to market, all of it's personality would be GONE. Edited by nzr

I think they could put door handles on it like the Vette has so it's less noticeable, 18s instead of 19s and 20s, raise it an inch or two, and exhaust like the Maxx SS has, and it'd still have most of its personality and would sell in droves.

[post="36383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree that it would sell heeps if it looked very close to this. It's just that GM concepts are very deceiving when it comes to production. Case and point would be the LaCrosse and G6. Edited by nzr

It's fantastic. That grille complements the front so well, I would love it if GM made this the "coupe" or "panel van" version, and kept the grille exclusive to it meanwhile the regular HHR continued with its grille. Release this one quickly, GM!

The side/rear glass needs some serious tweaking. It really seems like it's from a different vehicle. Take away the glass, and you have a killer sedan-delivery/panel van. The grille is pretty sweet.

I agree. That looks amazing, and I dont even like the HHR. It looks much better than the Nomad too.

[post="36608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't agree with the last part of your comment, but I do with the first!

This look would have kept the PT-too-ers at bay!
You have heard of mini-me? Well this concept strikes me as a mini-Nomad!
I like the tailgate split idea, but should have gone one step further and made the
bottom have the ol' Dutch doors!
Cost might be a factor, but the rear-side slider door for the back seat area
would sure work well here! B)

Oddly enough if someone were to chop the rear roof off from the "leaned B- pillar" back, I'd bet you would see a mini SSR. Anybody want to give it a shot? IMO, This is the way it should have looked from the get go. Also I say lose the Chrome old school mirrors, and put the current style molded ones on it and I'd say you have a winner. Edited by BuckeyeBowtie

According to a post by guionM over at Camaroz28, GM is looking for feedback on this one. Lets make sure they get it!

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406769

[post="36332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Much better looking than the stock HHR, but doesn't touch the Nomad.
This is a tricked out van, the Nomad is a sports car with room. When they put out the Nomad, I will, for the first time, buy a GM.

I'd love to speak behalf on the "I like it group" however I find that hard to do. Consider me part of the "I LOVE IT" group! If Chevy were to do this with the HHR of a new Nomad it'll sell like hot-cakes regarding of what "wheels" power it.

YES !! Build a two door HHR and I'll buy it ...Chrysler had 2 door PT s at the detroit show one year and never came out with them..I kept waiting for a two door PT.(so I didn t buy a pt)(plus it is a chrysler)..........please build this or something close... b

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we supposed to see some vehicle sometime this fall that was going to give an idea of the "new face" of Chevrolet as far as future styling goes?  Is it possible this is it?

By the way, I like this very much!!

[post="36761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The vehicles in question were new products from GM Daewoo.

Oddly enough if someone were to chop the rear roof off from the "leaned B- pillar" back, I'd bet you would see a mini SSR. Anybody want to give it a shot?

IMO, This is the way it should have looked from the get go. Also I say lose the Chrome old school mirrors, and put the current style molded ones on it and I'd say you have a winner.

[post="36722"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I had the same thought. A cool retro pickup, but expensive for the payload and capacity v. the Colorado. As a macho alternative to the tC and Cobalt coupe it might sell enough to be worthwhile though.

I'd love to speak behalf on the "I like it group" however I find that hard to do. Consider me part of the "I LOVE IT" group!

If Chevy were to do this with the HHR of a new Nomad it'll sell like hot-cakes regarding of what "wheels" power it.

[post="37487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

agreed

Oddly enough if someone were to chop the rear roof off from the "leaned B- pillar" back, I'd bet you would see a mini SSR. Anybody want to give it a shot?

[post="36722"][/post]

2 minutes later...

Posted Image

• 1 month later...