GM market share hits new low

Could someone tell me if that is some strange looking type. Or is my computor suffering from substance abuse ? Barely legible almost Japanese symbol looking. Then the red fine print is so fine its work to figure out the words. I went to the Pontiac web site a few times weeks back and found the same crap, but didnt find it on other sites. I can read it but its so frustration I feel its not be worth the effort. I was not aware that reading was supposed to require major effort. Whats up ?

Could someone tell me if that is some strange looking type. Or is my computor suffering from substance abuse ? Barely legible almost Japanese symbol looking. Then the red fine print is so fine its work to figure out the words.

I went to the Pontiac web site a few times weeks back and found the same crap, but didnt find it on other sites. I can read it but its so frustration I feel its not be worth the effort. I was not aware that reading was supposed to require major effort.

Whats up ?

[post="36487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Here is the article:

GENERAL Motors will this week reveal that sales collapsed in October, taking its US market share to a 25-year low and fuelling fresh fears that the world’s largest carmaker is heading towards bankruptcy. Its US sales dropped 26% compared with the same month last year, according to early estimates, putting its monthly US market share at 20.5% – the lowest since at least 1980.

The figures were compiled by Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache. Goldman Sachs also believes October will be the worst month for US car and truck sales in years. GM – whose brands include Cadillac, Pontiac and Hummer – is confronting its biggest financial crisis for 13 years. A bankruptcy filing by the Detroit carmaker would spell the end of an era for US industry and change global car manufacturing for ever.

Last week, it emerged that Toyota is poised to unseat GM as the world’s biggest carmaker measured by units produced. The Japanese giant, which already dwarfs the US carmaker in profitability and value, intends to ramp up production next year.

The GM sales slump – blamed on high fuel prices, unease about the US economy and the end of special summer offers for its staff -– is the latest in a stream of bad news to hit GM, all sparking market fears that the carmaker could go bankrupt. General Motors has denied it is drawing up any plans to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Last week, America’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) intensified an inquiry into how GM accounts for its pensions and employee benefits.

So far this year, GM has posted record losses of $3.8bn (£2.1bn, E3.2bn) and its crucial credit ratings have been reduced to junk by the main rating agencies. The company is burdened by $90bn in pension obligations and a $77bn healthcare plan. Two weeks ago, it was forced to renegotiate the terms of its healthcare plan with the United Autoworkers Union. It managed to agree a deal that will cut $3bn a year from costs.

On Friday, General Motors recalled 106,000 sports utility vehicles (SUVs) to fix a door latch. Sales of the SUVs have been falling faster than those of other vehicles as fuel prices remain high.

The spectre of bankruptcy at GM loomed again last week as the markets digested the news that the SEC had issued subpoenas related to GM’s financial reporting for pension and other post-employment benefits, and to transactions and obligations between the company and auto-parts supplier Delphi, which itself entered Chapter 11 earlier this month.

Until now, the SEC inquiry, which is also looking at other companies including rival carmaker Ford, has been informal. GM is Delphi’s former parent and its biggest customer. The carmaker may be responsible for $12bn in benefits at Delphi because of guarantees it offered when it spun off its former parts arm in 1999.

Analysts have warned that Delphi’s Chapter 11 filing under the weight of high wage, healthcare and pension costs, may foreshadow a similar drastic move by the world’s largest auto maker, whose labour woes could be compounded by the crisis at its supplier.

Bank of America analyst Ron Tadross said earlier this month: “It is our view that bankruptcy protection for GM is increasingly looking like a reasonable way to properly address the company’s retirement liabilities and job security benefits.” Steve Miller, chairman and chief executive of Delphi, said last week that unless Delphi’s bankruptcy process goes smoothly, it could “fatally wound” GM.

GM’s North American operations have been in crisis for some time, with commentators accusing it of spotting consumer trends too late. It has lagged Toyota in developing fashionable petrol-electric hybrids and launched the retro Chevrolet HHR after sales for retro vehicles peaked at other carmakers.

Last week the Detroit car company revealed plans to launch several crossover models – vehicles that have the interior space of SUVs but are built on the car rather than truck chassis. But the new models in the Buick, GMC and Saturn brands will have to compete with the crossover models that Toyota, Ford and DaimlerChrysler already have on the market.

In another desperate bid to get the ailing carmaker back on track, chief executive Richard Wagoner is seeking a buyer for all or part of the General Motors Acceptance Corporation, its finance arm. But there are fears the SEC investigation will hinder the sale. GM is hurting the most among the US carmakers but Ford and the Chrysler arm of DaimlerChrysler all experienced dismal sales performance last month.

* On Saturday, GM signed a memorandum of understanding with Chinese carmaker SAIC to explore opportunities for energy efficient and environmentally friendly hybrid cars in China.

http://www.thebusinessonline.com/Stories.a...2E-D07EB5AA1CEE

Those GMT 900 better do damn good in terms of sales.

Yet earlier in the year, people slammed me for suggesting GM may have to consider Chapter 11 towards the end of '05. Boy, this is one of those times I'd really love to be wrong.

Yet earlier in the year, people slammed me for suggesting GM may have to consider Chapter 11 towards the end of '05.

Boy, this is one of those times I'd really love to be wrong.

[post="36500"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would hate to be a GM stock holder right now. :( While Chapter 11 might not entirely be out of the question sometime in the future, IMO it is still too early to talk about it. I am sure GM still has a few weapons ( upcoming GMT 900, Saturn Aura, Crossover SUVs, etc) up its sleaves. But right now things do look really really bad. :unsure:

GM will be little more than a page in history within our lifetimes. "Modern"Americans hate Americana, they want to crush it, there is so much history and grandness that it makes todays happenings dull and pointless. So what better way to show importance than to crush the greatness of those that came before. I guess if thats the only creativity one can conjure up ? If you have seen the Kia commercial of all the preppy yuppys on the beach, it pretty much sums up current American mentality. The country as we have known it is ending. Perhaps within a few more decades we all be talking Spanish and eating with chop sticks, that would be an important kind of thing. :P I only need to witness it for 20 more years. It seems like an eternity.

Yet earlier in the year, people slammed me for suggesting GM may have to consider Chapter 11 towards the end of '05.

[post="36500"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Man, I hope so. :(

I think GM is going to see some rough times these next few months..but if they
weather it well, and sales of the new products keep improving, they should be ok..

Hasn't Wagoner & Co. been predicting this slide for the longest time? I think they knew that the fall would be rough, so this isn't a surprise. I think they're biding they're time until the beginning of the year when the new SUV's coming out. I really don't see GM filing bankruptcy this quickly. Besides, they got a lot of assets that could be sold, like GMAC and stuff, before they file Ch. 11. Edited by Lexcar14

Heh....I (we all) wish you were wrong, too....

*sighs*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

Hasn't Wagoner & Co. been predicting this slide for the longest time?  I think they knew that the fall would be rough, so this isn't a surprise.  I think they're biding they're time until the beginning of the year when the new SUV's coming out.  I really don't see GM filing bankruptcy this quickly.  Besides, they got a lot of assets that could be sold, like GMAC and stuff, before they file Ch. 11.

[post="36600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the dealership has been told to not worry about sales slumps and just make sure that we hold out until 06... but... i think we've got a few changes coming up next month... probably go away with value pricing...

Let's see, dealers have no stock left, and there are much lower sales. Doesn't anyone see a connection? You can't sell what you don't have. This may look bad in terms of the sales decline but it has to happen. GM must keep inventories low in order to avoid profit-draining incentives. If they are too low now, then that will only add to volume growth in the next few years.

And just to add fuel to the fire....Automotive News is reporting today that a clause in the DPH deal will substantially add to GM's reitiree costs by forcing GM to add 7 years to the calculated seniority of every DPH worker. Am I the only one who's starting to think that a Chapter 11 filing might save the company by giving GM's new products a chance to be cost competitive? I used to dread the thought--now, it's starting to sound like the lesser evil. Drowning under legacy costs is a no-win situation.

GM isn't even near the disasterous state they where in the early 90s. Relax and enjoy the show, as many would love to see GM fail so they will continue to rip on them all they can. GM has more than enough cash, great new products making money, and more great new products on the way to prevent the need for bankruptcy.

Could someone tell me if that is some strange looking type. Or is my computor suffering from substance abuse ? Barely legible almost Japanese symbol looking. Then the red fine print is so fine its work to figure out the words.

I went to the Pontiac web site a few times weeks back and found the same crap, but didnt find it on other sites. I can read it but its so frustration I feel its not be worth the effort. I was not aware that reading was supposed to require major effort.

Whats up ?

[post="36487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are right. Business Online uses terrible fonts. Too small. Their web developer sucks.

Unless the Board is comprised of total idiots (and I take the stand that they are not), they have already forseen most of this. Chapter 11 may not be necessary, but the threat of Chapter 11 can be very useful, like in negotiating with the UAW, for example. Low inventories are not automatically a bad thing. And am I the only person who gets pissed every time GM gets accused of "missing the boat" on the hybrid issue? First of all, Toyota and HOnda have totally missed the boat on the near-50% market share that the sale of trucks has enjoyed for the past several years. Only now are they starting to come out with truly competitive trucks - and the market for those same trucks is about to crash. Won't they look silly with their new $800 million truck facility as sales of trucks crash! Secondly, Hybrids were a total economic waste of time at $1.30 a gallon. Even at $3 a gallon, it can be argued they are expensive, unproven and a future mindfield for landfill site. GM may be slow coming to this party, but I think the jury is still out whether current hybrid technology is viable or not. In this case, Toyota is just damned lucky that oil prices have spiralled out of control in the past year.

GM will be little more than a page in history within our lifetimes.

"Modern"Americans hate Americana, they want to crush it, there is so much history and grandness that it makes todays happenings dull and pointless. So what better way to show importance than to crush the greatness of those that came before. I guess if thats the only creativity one can conjure up ?

If you have seen the Kia commercial of all the preppy yuppys on the beach, it pretty much sums up current American mentality.

The country as we have known it is ending. Perhaps within a few more decades we all be talking Spanish and eating with chop sticks, that would be an important kind of thing.  :P 

I only need to witness it for 20 more years. It seems like an eternity.

[post="36526"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Modern America has been on the slide for years starting with the 70's. The fuel crunches. The blandification of architecture like houses, bridges, barns and buildings, the technology craze where everything HAS to be at everybodys fingertips RIGHT NOW yesterday, peoples attitudes have gone in the gutter, jobs are getting fewer and farther between, the government seems to get worse every year, constant inflation and money troubles, never ending population increases, the great melting pot, industry all going overseas, endless old warehouses and buildings that are empty reminding us of a once long time forgotten society of hard work, care and support for out country. Many of the modern generation X,Y,Z just don't have a clue. It sickens me to see a once great company be disgraced like this!

Modern America has been on the slide for years starting with the 70's. The fuel crunches. The blandification of architecture like houses, bridges, barns and buildings, the technology craze where everything HAS to be at everybodys fingertips RIGHT NOW yesterday, peoples attitudes have gone in the gutter, jobs are getting fewer and farther between, the government seems to get worse every year, constant inflation and money troubles, never ending population increases, the great melting pot, industry all going overseas, endless old warehouses and buildings that are empty reminding us of a once long time forgotten society of hard work, care and support for out country. Many of the modern generation X,Y,Z just don't have a clue. It sickens me to see a once great company be disgraced like this!

AUGGHGGGHHHHH...the end of the world is near!!! The sun is setting on the American Empire!!! AUGGGGGGHHHH!!! DOOM!!! GLOOM!!!

Aren't you being a little overly melodramatic about things?

My #1 daughter's husband drives a car hauler for a living. He told me yeserday that his comapny is buying new trucks and hiring new drivers becase of thte volume of work they are getting from Alamo car rentals. Apparently they are changing out their GM stock of rental cars. Perhaps next months figures will look a little rosier.

The fact is GM and FORD are fighting TOY, HONDA, NISSAN with one hand tied behind their back. Japan is the second largest auto market. GM and FORD are virtually non existent there. The Japanese govt. put all kinds of road blocks for American corporations. That is a fact. So when the second largest market for cars is closed to American car companies and the largest market (ours) also happens to be the freeest market where anyone can dump their product with little or no restrictions, how can GM and FORD compete effectively ? Add to that the leagacy costs, which is crippling GM and Ford and you get an idea how bad the situation is. I think the US govt. really really needs to step up to the plate pretty soon before it is too late.

I just don't get it.  GM is making some of the best, most compelling products they've ever produced, and they just can't get the sales back on track without steep discounts.

[post="36471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Because the consumer is being told not to buy GM, or domestic for that matter. And has been conditioned to not buy domestic for 30 years.

First of all, Toyota and HOnda have totally missed the boat on the near-50% market share that the sale of trucks has enjoyed for the past several years. Only now are they starting to come out with truly competitive trucks - and the market for those same trucks is about to crash. Won't they look silly with their new $800 million truck facility as sales of trucks crash!

It doesn't matter... That's not the story they want you to read... Besides, all of the "Truck sales are dieing" articles will be focused around making Detroit look dumb anyway.

Because the consumer is being told not to buy GM, or domestic for that matter. And has been conditioned to not buy domestic for 30 years.

[post="36767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think you are taking things overboard with this one, we live in a democracy, and if people want to buy cars that you are not fond of, live with it!

I think you are taking things overboard with this one, we live in a democracy, and if people want to buy cars that you are not fond of, live with it!

[post="36791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, its that whole freedom thing. People can buy what they want. If they can be easily influenced by the media, then so be it. What would you be saying if people were told to buy Big Three? You wouldn't be calling them sheep like you do people who buy imports. It really isn't the media's fault that GM has produced many undesirable cars over the last few years, it is actually the fault of the "Buy American no matter what" mentality that led the Big Three to be happy with the status quo while Toyota and Honda made vast improvements in quality, refinement and desirability to the average consumer who just wants something to get from point A to point B. It doesn't need to be RWD, have 400hp or look exotic. It needs to be cheap to run, reliable and people have to not dislike driving it every day for the next 3,4,5+ years. AS lot of GM cars are cheap to run and reliable, they run into problems with t he wanting to drive thing. Poor ergonomics, cheap everything on the inside, floaty nauseating rides, and so on. Those things make people not want to buy cars. Edited by Satty

I never said anything about choice, or the consumer for that matter.

I must've missed the "dont buy domestic cars" class in high school/college. I've owned a Dodge, Ford and Jeep.

The fact is GM and FORD are fighting TOY, HONDA, NISSAN with one hand tied behind their back. Japan is the second largest auto market. GM and FORD are virtually non existent there. The Japanese govt. put all kinds of road blocks for American corporations. That is a fact. So when the second largest market for cars is closed to American car companies and the largest market (ours) also happens to be the freeest market where anyone can dump their product with little or no restrictions, how can GM and FORD compete effectively ? Add to that the leagacy costs, which is crippling GM and Ford and you get an idea how bad the situation is. I think the US govt. really really needs to step up to the plate pretty soon before it is too late.

[post="36745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The sad part is, our govt will wait until it is too late. It is already becoming too late, yet nothing is being done, and it doesn't seem they are planning to do anything either. Competition is great, when its fair. Toyota doesnt even have to try anymore, and their sales will keep rising, and profits keep growing.

That's not the story they want you to read... Besides, all of the "Truck sales are dieing" articles will be focused around making Detroit look dumb anyway.

[post="36767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then why were the reports that Honda had to drop production numbers of the Ridegeline, how poorly its doing etc?

This is not the governments problem, it's a free market problem. If they can't sell in Japan, why not elsewhere? I hear sales in China are rosy. If GM can't make money in one market, it's their job to find a new one to sell in, or create a new one altogether, or work on fixing their current market. It's not the government's job to come to the aid of every business that suffers from poor management. We don't want GM to turn into another Northwest Airlines, do we?

China is potentially the largest car market in the world..it makes more sense for GM to put effort there (as they have been doing) compared to Japan, which isn't growing...

AUGGHGGGHHHHH...the end of the world is near!!!      The sun is setting on the American Empire!!! AUGGGGGGHHHH!!! DOOM!!!  GLOOM!!! 

Aren't you being a little overly melodramatic about things?

[post="36742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Arent you being a little care less about things ?

aH..............YEA!

This is not the governments problem, it's a free market problem. If they can't sell in Japan, why not elsewhere? I hear sales in China are rosy. If GM can't make money in one market, it's their job to find a new one to sell in, or create a new one altogether, or work on fixing their current market. It's not the government's job to come to the aid of every business that suffers from poor management. We don't want GM to turn into another Northwest Airlines, do we?

[post="36840"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is the governments problem and the Governments fault. They are paid to serve and protect American interests. Toyota and Honda have nothing to do with American interests, they are in fact against the American interests.

Trade agreements, foreign policy are the job of the government.

Japans government is doing a great job protecting the interests of their people, I would suggest we wake TFU and start doing the same !

China is potentially the largest car market in the world..it makes more sense for GM to put effort there (as they have been doing) compared to Japan, which isn't growing...

[post="36841"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

BFD, what good is it going to do the American population if Chineze communist built cars are sold in Communist China ? That is a "cant see it from my house" we will never see it, it will make no betterment in America. However when they start importing that cheap communist crap cars it will destroy a large sector of the American population.

BFD, what good is it going to do the American population if Chineze communist built cars are sold in Communist China ? That is a "cant see it from my house" we will never see it, it will make no betterment in America. However when they start importing that cheap communist crap cars it will destroy a large sector of the American population.

Well, Walmart has been importing a ton of Chinese products for years... Americans are already used to buying Chinese goods...I suspect Chinese-made cars in the US aren't that far off..

[post="36791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No hold on just a minute !

I thought we were living in "a global world" :lol:

Wait let me think

Is Japan is running a Democracy......

Is China running a Democracy?

Is India running a Democracy?

Is Turkey running a Democracy?

Are we really living in a Democracy ? :lol: Yarite !

If some of us Americans have spine enough to say Bullshit to imports, I suggest you get used to it, cause you aint seen nothing yet !

Well, Walmart has been importing a ton of Chinese products for years...  Americans are already used to buying Chinese goods...I suspect Chinese-made cars in the US aren't that far off..

[post="36854"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yea, Chineze junk has been soiling the face of this country for 3 decades. That is why there is nothing else to put on the shelves. Buy one this year and by next year or the year after you'll need to buy it again because it has a 6 month half life.

Looks good at initial purchase though dont it ?

That is after all the only thing the puppet masters care about. Short term, well perhaps their used to being short.

GM isn't even near the disasterous state they where in the early 90s.  Relax and enjoy the show, as many would love to see GM fail so they will continue to rip on them all they can.  GM has more than enough cash, great new products making money, and more great new products on the way to prevent the need for bankruptcy.

[post="36695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I hope you are right, and this time they have a new stable of exciting products about to debut.

[post="36840"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not the governments problem if our companies are at a competitive disadvantage due to unfair trade? All I'm asking for is a level playing field. Japan may not have the biggest market, but there are still 4.5 million cars sold there, where only Japanese companies are allowed to sell them there. Why should it be GMs problem that our government allows that to happen, and lets them come here and control our market freely? Free trade is supposed to benefit both countries, right now, it only benefits one, and hurts the other.

Therein lies the rub. The more cars GM sells in China, the more gas China uses. The more gas China uses, the higher prices go here and the more people whine about "I know GM cars have good mileage, but not as good as Toyota." Cripes . . .

[post="36850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

One quick look at Big Oil's third quarter profits reassures me that there is alot more to the cost than simple supply and demand.

Marketshare doesn't concern me as much as profit or total sales numbers. Remember, it is entirely possible for market share to go down while sales numbers are increasing <not the case here>. Think about it this way. Honda's market share has gone up. Well, yeah! 10 years ago they didn't have a truck, and they had re-badge Isuzus for their SUV and Mini-van. Market share is a way to prop up the Japanese makes as "winning the war" against the american brands. BS If marketshare was such an issue why are Porche and VW still around. VW's sales have tanked recently. If GM can make better cars, more profitably, at 25% marketshare then it can at 30% market share then it should aim for 25%. GM needs to continue with great designs. Profitablilty will follow.

It's not the governments problem if our companies are at a competitive disadvantage due to unfair trade? All I'm asking for is a level playing field. Japan may not have the biggest market, but there are still 4.5 million cars sold there, where only Japanese companies are allowed to sell them there. Why should it be GMs problem that our government allows that to happen, and lets them come here and control our market freely? Free trade is supposed to benefit both countries, right now, it only benefits one, and hurts the other.

[post="36885"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is this 4.5 million, accurate ?

If so how many Japanese cars sold here?

What is the total new cars sold here.

Sorry I have no idea how to find these answers for myself.

Is this 4.5 million, accurate ?

If so how many Japanese cars sold here?

What is the total new cars sold here.

Sorry I have no idea how to find these answers for myself.

[post="36915"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I found data for 2003...16.7 million US car & truck sales, 37.8% foreign brands (I don't know if that includes US-owned brands like Saab, Jaguar, etc)....

So the Japanese market would be 27% of what ours is and we purchase 37% foreign. Not sure what that means ? Ill have to chew on it awhile. Doesnt seem like we would gain much in Japan. Maybe a few hundred thousand sales after a few years ? So forget it, just put a ban on Japanese car sales !!!!!!!! Let that industry go through the turmoil. =}:-0 LOL !

Took the words right out of my mouth.