Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Volt Revealed!

Drew Dowdell

2011 Chevy Volt

chevrolet_100166712_m.jpg

Though its first official public debut isn't scheduled until early next week, the 2011 Chevy Volt has been introduced to the internet early courtesy of the The Car Connection, which published these apparently official pictures of the revolutionary series hybrid today. In the past few weeks we've seen official teasers shots of the car mixed with spy video taken on the set of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, all of which have only served to increase excitement ahead of the car's official debut next week. These pics give up the goods like no others, however, and show various GM execs and engineers directly responsible for its development posing alongside like proud papas. The list includes, in order, Tony Posawatz, Bob Lutz, Bob Boniface, Frank Weber, and Andrew Farah.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all the old white guys? :unsure:

Seems like a nice enough car. I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in the flesh. Cool color, though!

FFS some of you make me sick. If GM kept the concept look it would've never achieved the mileage, and then you all would've bitched that GM failed to deliver on it's promise. Personally I like it alot, it has MUCH more style than any other hybrid out there.

Not so much the mileage, but it would have been nearly impossible to meet safety requirements, not to mention the packaging requirements, of a modern mainstream family sedan.

The concept was a design concept. I am not surprised one bit by how it turned out, and it still might not look bad.

Typical, as with many new unveiling several of you seem to condemn it before we've even seen the whole thing. I personally like it. It may not look like the concept, although I like the front of this better anyway, but it looks much better than the current dedicated green cars.

Agreed. We knew a long time ago that this wasn't going to look like the concept, the aerodynamics didn't work. As for big, clunky & Prius like, yeah you've got a point. I wish that GM hadn't done the same shape as the Prius, but at least it's not as close as the new Honda Insight will be to the Prius (those two are pretty much identical.) Is the back end of the Volt raised because of the battery packs?

And as for not being $40K good looking, it's hard to say. First, we haven't seen the interior. Second, the economics of this vehicle are completely different from anything else on the road. If you could save $2K per year on gas costs by driving this, then you start making up the premium pretty quickly. And the truth is, the first gen isn't going to save GM, but if they get this out first and get the actual driving data with it first, then they'll kill on teh 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations.

Aerodynamics. Coefficient of drag and frontal surface were kings in designing this thing. To me it looks better than the Prius.

+1. Definitely better looking than the Prius..has some neat details, like the window trim, rear blackout, taillights, front lighting details..

Typical, as with many new unveiling several of you seem to condemn it before we've even seen the whole thing. I personally like it. It may not look like the concept, although I like the front of this better anyway, but it looks much better than the current dedicated green cars.

I agree. Between the picture angles and the executives obstructing the view, it's really hard to get a good idea of the overall feel of the design. It was pretty much a given that the production version wouldn't look exactly like the concept. As long as they have kept the overall flavor of the concept without cheapening out on the details, then I think they will have nailed it. I do have to admit that I don't like the fake mesh treatment on the grille flaps because it cheapens the design, but that is the only complaint that I have so far.

Even in these pictures I can tell that I like it much more than either the Prius or Insight. Neither one of those dedicated hybrids have any sense of style.

Wow... and once again GM leaves me speechless,

NOT in a good way.

The overall styling? Blandis an understatement,

esp. for a M.Y. 2011, speaking of which, usually

you do not inroduce product TWO years before

the launch date, talk about cock tease!

And that thick, gross gloss-black trim under the

Greenhouse? :blink:

I"ll reserve my final judgement untill 2010 when

I actually see a real production model,but so far

all I ave to say is: :yuck:

Is this a photo gallery of the Volt or a "Men of GM" photo shoot with a Volt backdrop?

:mellow:

Honestly...WTF is this? Some kid of GM-take on those

"Hot Firefighters" calendars aimed at post-menopausal

women and gay men?

Ridiculous. :lol:

This is a well-played tease. There's not one good shot to really judge how the car looks, and yet it's "out in the open", so to speak. The color is terrible...that's about all I can fairly say right now.

The concept looked better, the headlights look too much like a Civic, and the car looks like it is made out of plastic.

$40k for a Chevy will be tough when people can get a Prius (with the more reputable "T" on the front) for $26k. Some will buy it because it is all electric, but people that just want high mileage and low purchase cost will look at the Insight or other non-hybrid compacts.

Regardless of how you fell about the look...it just seems weird to me that GM would release obstructed photos that simply ruin the lines of the car.

Another PR gaffe from GM, IMO. (Other than the 'let's pull another Camaro' 2 yr. pic tease. that has become their MO)

looks good to me! aerodynamics rule the day here.

now make me a cadillac version and they'll have a buyer!

it still looks very distinctive. especially from the back. where people in stop-go traffic will really notice it.

now could they use the orginal volt design and make that into a little convertible? aerodynamics be damned?

Edited by jbartley

I like it. Think about what this car actually is and that in and of itself makes it pretty crazy.

Yes, the technology and claimed efficiency is what is cool about the car, not really the styling.

Edited by moltar

if i wanted to hear a bunch of bitching i would go stand next to a bunch of ladies at work.

this is fine. the concept was cool but was anyone dingbat enough to think it would survive intact?

lest ye bitch again, keep in mind the new camaro is damn close to the concept. which would you rather have volt be a concept clone or the camaro?

thought so. b pillars aside.

truth- the version you see in these new photos is a lot more salable to the general public and will have a much longer shelf life. more aerodynamic also. did y'all hear...CAFE will demand the Aero age to come back again.

another thing, was the concept designed for the proportions of the delta architecture? prob not. the prod version is.

parting shot, this thing is still much more pleasant then the alien spawn prius (no satty, 2 prius does not guarantee access to the alien leader). You figured you would outdo my aztek with one prius but please don't jump off the cliff and get two. just get a civic hymenbrid to get with the prius and that will be enough to pay for your sins.

Edited by regfootball

parting shot, this thing is still much more pleasant then the alien spawn prius (no satty, 2 prius does not guarantee access to the alien leader).

I have neighbors that have 2 Priuses, both dark gray. Across the street from them is a couple with 2 CR-Vs, one dk blue, one maroon.

To do a Cadillac version, it would (or at least should) offer Cadillac performance, and be able to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, which is a far cry from what the Volt can do. Cadillac doesn't need a slow, front drive compact based on a Chevy, that was an epic failure in the 1980s. If they take the technology and implement it into a rear drive electric vehicle that at least matches the CTS DI in acceleration and handling then they are on to something. But that won't happen, even the Escalade is going front drive.

If a Chevy Volt is $40k, what is a Cadillac version, $60k? And can Cadillac get people to pay $60k for a small sedan?

Edited by smk4565

To do a Cadillac version, it would (or at least should) offer Cadillac performance, and be able to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, which is a far cry from what the Volt can do. Cadillac doesn't need a slow, front drive compact based on a Chevy, that was an epic failure in the 1980s. If they take the technology and implement it into a rear drive electric vehicle that at least matches the CTS DI in acceleration and handling then they are on to something. But that won't happen, even the Escalade is going front drive.

If a Chevy Volt is $40k, what is a Cadillac version, $60k? And can Cadillac get people to pay $60k for a small sedan?

If Caddy gets into the hybrid game, I could see them doing something with the SRX, a mild hybrid like the RX400h.

The shape is solid, but the details are messy. I like the rear, but the fake grille adds fussiness to the front. The black side trim is a salute the concept, but it has no context on the production vehicle. Where black trim terminates on the C-pillar appears particular graceless, and it looks like wind noise will result from the inset glass.

I'm getting all hot and bothered, and not because of the goofy looking concept or the bland production car. Oh Bobby...

I think the production car looks fine, but then I haven't spent the last year advertising the concept, bad-mouthing the Prius' shape, or hoping the Volt would have some sort of definitive styling edge. The Volt HAS to be all about the drivetrain now; there is no other way to justify paying $40,000 for a car that is the size of a cobalt and looks like that come 2011-2015. But I think that was always the way it was going to be.

The faithful sure are disappointed over at gm-volt.com:

http://gm-volt.com/2008/09/08/breaking-new...ictures-leaked/

this is fine. the concept was cool but was anyone dingbat enough to think it would survive intact?

Based on Bob's comments, yes. Or at least much closer than it is.

Luckily the public has a short memory and will likely never connect the 2011 Volt to the concept Volt in the commercials GM has been airing.

Edited by GXT