2009 Honda Fit

ocnblu

Well, today after work I stopped by "my" local BPG/Honda/Acura/Suzuki dealership at the invitation of one of the salesguys to try out an '09 Fit. The car I drove was a base/manual transmission in black. Here are my impressions of the whole experience:

The dealership in general has been very nice to deal with, from my first contact with my eventual Sierra salesperson over the internet, to my parting words with the Honda salesguy this evening. First off, I drove to the back of the lot, where they have a fenced-in holding yard for excess inventory. They have quite a selection already of new Fits... silver, purple, black, bright blue and orange, most with "SOLD" tags on the dash. I parked the truck and started checking them out. The new car is much more up-to-date looking and more substantial than the old one. Base cars come with 15" wheels and plasticky-looking wheel covers this year, up from 14" in years past. The base car's wheels still look small. The Sport, however, comes with nice looking 16" aluminum wheels, a lower body ground effects kit that's not too obtrusive, foglamps and a rear roof spoiler that's not bad because it seems to add a bit of shade to the load area. It also comes with other functional features that make a Sport manual the best overall model to have, imo.

Anyway, I drove to the front of the dealership in my truck and met up with the Honda salesguy. He was very congenial and not pushy as he slapped a dealer tag on the back of the car and pulled it around for me. I jumped in the driver's seat, adjusted everything to my liking, and off we went.

First thing I have to say is, those Honda engines run like a sewing machine... soooo smooth. Honda has added their V-TEC system to the Fit engine this year, but since I've never driven an old Fit on the road, I cannot compare that aspect. The buff press has long raved about Honda manual gearboxes, and I have to say, they're right. This is the smoothest manual transmission/clutch interface I've ever experienced. Usually when I get into a new manual transmission car, it takes a few minutes to get used to it, but not this car. I never jerked it once, and rowing through the gears is easy, smooth and with the right effort so you know you're connected to something mechanical, an unusual trait for a FWD transmission linkage, imo.

Out on the road, it had plenty of pep to get up to highway speeds. The ride is slightly busy but smooth, where my truck uses Road Hugging Weight to keep it feeling planted. The Fit immediately felt fun to drive. I didn't hear any excessive road or wind noise. The loudest part of the ride was the dealer tag flapping against the taillight lens. The route soon changed to a back road with plenty of curves. The little Fit held tight, and the buttery transmission action only added to the fun factor.

On the interior, the dashboard isn't as offensive in reality as it is in pictures. Everything is easy as heck to reach and operate. The steering column has a good range of adjustment, and the seats are supportive. It has a slightly cheesy instant MPG meter in the cluster that seems not to have been put in there for real calculation purposes (but it's fun to watch it fluctuate with the gas pedal). The interior plastics are no better than any given GM small car, whether judged on look or feel, but everything seemed to be snapped together pretty tightly. It is an economy car, after all. As far as utility goes, the Fit is king of the tiny cars, imo, with its "Magic Seats". You can fold down either or both halves of the back seat... you can fold the back seat cushions upward to allow a tall load space from the lowest point of the floor to the roof... you can even lay down the front passenger seat if you want to Hang Ten and stick a surf board inside the car.

Overall, I find the Fit not the Second Coming, but in this class, I think the Fit is at the top, with a fun demeanor, more modern looks than the old car, loads of utility, comfortable ride, and good value for the all-around package. I liked it more and more as I drove it.

Great write-up. I haven't seen a new Fit in person yet, but from pictures and articles, I already consider it one of my favorite cars. It would be a great replacement for my Prelude. The specs of the Fit are close to my old '87 Integra, which was an absolute blast to drive. It Honda added a sunroof, it would be about perfect for a non-hybrid vehicle.

great writeup blu....

"hangten" awwwwwww stop it.

I really am not a Honda fan but I respect them. I would buy a Fit, but I wish it had more HP. For me what makes this car attractive as heck is the utility.

Like blu, I may go test drive one meself.

Did the engine drone at freeway speeds? What were the rpms at 70-80mph?

I am a complete sucker for space utilization in a vehicle.

I would buy this thing for the magic seats alone. And ten cupholders.

Will we get an Acura rebadge? LOL

Edited by regfootball

Nice writeup blu. I like the new Fit a lot better than the old one. It certainly seems to once again be at the top of its class. I wonder how the Fiesta will do when it gets here. GM and Chrysler hae nothing that can touch it.

...including price. You're forgetting that most people that buy these aren't buying them for status or speed. Price counts a helluva lot in this category. You can $10-a-month-yourself to death.

Why stop at the Fit and not just buy a Mini?

I will agree that the NEW Fit makes the old one look like a dog-turd art sculpture.

Still, I'd never go with anything other than a MINI-coop if I wanted/needed a car

of this size/MPG category....

...now back to my search for a 440-powered Fuselage Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler

or Imperial (4-door hardtop) from the late '60s or early '70s on Craig's :smilewide:

I can't believe I'm saying this, I'm liking this new Fit. It seems only Honda can do cars like this. That interior is very nice for this segment.

I am liking the Fit also, as well as the Nissan Cube and a few other of the new "small" cars. They are cool in a funky sort of way.

And your write, blu writes very well.

Chris

I will agree that the NEW Fit makes the old one look like a dog-turd art sculpture.

Still, I'd never go with anything other than a MINI-coop if I wanted/needed a car

of this size/MPG category....

...now back to my search for a 440-powered Fuselage Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler

or Imperial (4-door hardtop) from the late '60s or early '70s on Craig's :smilewide:

Actually I'd like to add a Fit and a MINI to my fleet...

Get one of those good looking Fury's from the early 70's with the hideaway headlights...a very menacing looking car, and it would look fabulous next to the B-59.

Alex Baron, my high school Gym teacher/football coach (didn't play FB, just kept stats, etc.) drove one. It had a slightly bent front bumper, and ole Alex was an NFL sized guy with a mean look to him.

Made people NOTICE when that damned car came in the parking lot...

(As an aside, Alex wasn't menacing at all, he was a great teacher and a great guy...)

But seriously, a Fury 2 Dr HT (go back and re-read your own posts about the B- Piller thingie, the HARDTOP is the one ya want...) would be the Cat's ass.

Chris

Get one of those good looking Fury's from the early 70's with the hideaway headlights...a very menacing looking car, and it would look fabulous next to the B-59.

But seriously, a Fury 2 Dr HT (go back and re-read your own posts about the B- Piller thingie, the HARDTOP is the one ya want...) would be the Cat's ass.

Chris

How about a black '70 Sport Fury GT... aircraft carrier proportions..hidden headlights..chop-top look (I always thought the roof was too small for the body on those cars)...great styling..

I'd like to have a couple '70s cars for the occasional weekend drive. Don't have the garage space currently...would have to have a '71 LTD 2dr ht and a '71 Riviera.

Edited by moltar

...including price. You're forgetting that most people that buy these aren't buying them for status or speed. Price counts a helluva lot in this category. You can $10-a-month-yourself to death.

Why stop at the Fit and not just buy a Mini?

Price is important. The Fit has an MSRP starting at $14.5k. Other cars like the Aveo and Accent have an MSRP as low at $11k. Honda could drop a thousand off the MSRP if they stripped out many of the standard features, but that would deteriorate the image of the car, its resale value, and its desirability. Better to offer another model at a lower price point, which is something they may or may not do with a car like the City.

Price is important. The Fit has an MSRP starting at $14.5k. Other cars like the Aveo and Accent have an MSRP as low at $11k. Honda could drop a thousand off the MSRP if they stripped out many of the standard features, but that would deteriorate the image of the car, its resale value, and its desirability. Better to offer another model at a lower price point, which is something they may or may not do with a car like the City.

Hondas have always had a bit of a premium over other brands... they are further up the ladder than the Korean cheapies...

Used Fits are fetching over MSRP. Quality small cars tend to have the best resale value... my neighbor had a blue '03 or '04 MINI Cooper S, which he essentially drove for free. Then he replaced it with a silver FJ Cruiser (and an Airstream trailer), which is probably depreciating like mad.

we do know the resale will uphold on this thing with the buzz its been getting.

so it would be worth getting over an Aveo, its that much nicer.

Although, a loaded sport, at 18-19k is hard to make nice for when it only has 120hp. At least give the sport an engine option, 150-160hp.

Used Fits are fetching over MSRP. Quality small cars tend to have the best resale value... my neighbor had a blue '03 or '04 MINI Cooper S, which he essentially drove for free. Then he replaced it with a silver FJ Cruiser (and an Airstream trailer), which is probably depreciating like mad.

is its resale depreciating or is the unibody frame depreciating apart?

RE: loaded Sport @ $18-$19k... I told the salesguy I felt the nav screen is nothing but an invitation to break in and steal (they had an orange, loaded Sport auto with stability and nav), and plus I know where I'm going. He chuckled.

It sucks how you need $1500+ nav to get stability control. Puh-leez. You can get a Garmin nuvi for $150, and according to NHTSA, stability control costs manufacturers $111 per car. Thank goodness it'll be mandatory in a few years.

Apart from lacking VSA, I wouldn't mind a Milano Red Fit Sport 5MT, and $16,870 including destination is very reasonable.

Edited by empowah

How about a black '70 Sport Fury GT... aircraft carrier proportions..hidden headlights..chop-top look (I always thought the roof was too small for the body on those cars)...great styling..

I'd like to have a couple '70s cars for the occasional weekend drive. Don't have the garage space currently...would have to have a '71 LTD 2dr ht and a '71 Riviera.

Garage...we don't NEED a garage...(O.K., maybe an aircraft hanger)

I'd love to ahve a 72 LTD ragtop, last fullsized ford convertilbe ever built.

Along with a Buick, or perhapps Caddy ragtop from the era. A freind of a friend has an 76 Caddy ragtop, not one of the final 200 but white on red none the less.

Sweet cars, I miss seing them on the road.

Chris

There are those of us here (me for instance) that like small cars and will pay apremium for a good one.

The Fit is an order of magnitude better than a Yaris or Versa, and I'd gladly pay 5K more for a similar FIT.

Seriously.

Chris

Alex Baron, my high school Gym teacher/football coach (didn't play FB, just kept stats, etc.) drove one. It had a slightly bent front bumper, and ole Alex was an NFL sized guy with a mean look to him.

Made people NOTICE when that damned car came in the parking lot...

(As an aside, Alex wasn't menacing at all, he was a great teacher and a great guy...)

Chris

You guys missed my point.

Here's my logic:

Let's take an average Fit.... $16,000 purchase price is

about realistic, if anything it's on the low side.

MY way of dealing with $3.59/gallon gas?

$16,000

- $6,000

= $10,000

$10k buys you almost any gorgeous big full size car from

the late '60s right now... so I would find a true hardtop,

BIG-cube, RWD, LIVE rear axle boat like a Cadillac and or

an Imperial, buy it and you have $6000+ to spend on gas.

Assuming horrfic milage, say 7mpg

(even a 500-cubic inch [8.2 litre]-powered, 5000lbs. Caddy will do 7)

$6000 / $3.50 gallon = 1714 gallons of gas

1714 gallons of gas moves a 7-mpg tank

EXACTLY to the decimal point, 12,000

miles down the road.

So again, you guys want to insult me about how

I'm not living in "reality"?

The "reality" is that I could buy one of my dream

cars, and drive it 12,000 miles (for free!) before

your modern-utopia-approved Honda $h!pile that

disgusts me in a dozen ways, is paid for, gas

excluded!

Explain to me how in the heck any of you, bieng

automotive enthusiasts, can justify giving

complements to these sardine cans? :huh:

You guys missed my point.

Here's my logic:

So again, you guys want to insult me about how

I'm not living in "reality"?

The thing is, the vast majority of people for their $16k or $32k or whatever (or what is really their $250 a month or $500 a month or whatever-most car buyers look at the monthly payment), want a new car..or a late model used car...not something 30-40 years old with 100k miles. That's reality.

Old cars are neat for car shows and the occasional weekend drive, but most people want modern cars with modern features (safety features, efficiency, AM/FM CD player w/ iPod jack, A/C, power everything, well-designed cupholders, heated seats, etc).

That is why your logic doesn't work for 99% of car buyers.

Reading your arguments in these threads sometimes reminds me of the arguments by the Flat Earth Society or the Luddites. :)

Edited by moltar

Garage...we don't NEED a garage...(O.K., maybe an aircraft hanger)

I'd love to ahve a 72 LTD ragtop, last fullsized ford convertilbe ever built.

Along with a Buick, or perhapps Caddy ragtop from the era. A freind of a friend has an 76 Caddy ragtop, not one of the final 200 but white on red none the less.

Sweet cars, I miss seing them on the road.

Chris

Yeah, those '71-72 LTD convertibles are goregous...I saw a '72 at a car show a few years that I would have loved to have taken home w/me--it black w/ a red interior, Magnum 500 wheels, 429...

Differance is.... while it may not appeal to 99%

of the sheeple out there in 2008, I work it. It's

not some retarded theory I'm putting out there

but rather the voice of reason.

I, for one, prefer the classics in almost every

way... modern CD-players with HD/XM capab.

& I-pod jacks can be easily retrofitted into

anything including a '23 Model-T so long as it's

converted to 12V. Same for seatbelts, cup

holders & even an SBC with fuel injection.

And when you drive it for 5 years and go to

sell it you get most of not all and in some

cases MORE than what you paid/invested.

I got to drive a 1968 Camaro for 4 years

off and on, even as a daily and my ONLY

car for a while, and it depreciated less than

$250 out of the $5000 I paid, and thing is,

my TOTAL cost of maintenance including

oil changes was less than $1,000 for those

four years.

Classics FTW :smilewide:

Now how in the hell is anything I just posted

CONTRADICTORY to modern science, laws

of physics & the logic of nearly 5 billion

people who all agree on the concept of a

sperecal globe? :huh::globe:

It's not some retarded theory I'm putting out therebut rather the voice of reason.

What you said is reasonable only for a very small percentage of new car buyers.

Here's another way to look at the calculation, which is likely the way most new car buyers will look at it (coming out of a low-mpg vehicle and saving money).

Fit 31mpg costs $1350 to travel 12k miles/year at $3.50/gallon, or $112/month

Land Yacht 7mpg costs $6000 to travel 12k miles/year at $3.50/gallon, or $500/month

You save approximately $388/month by driving the Fit instead of the land yacht. That pays for the Fit's monthly payment right there and then some.

can be easily retrofitted into anything including a '23 Model-T so long as it's converted to 12V.

Do you really think someone looking for a new car is going to consider any of this?

More than half the population doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. When I was a car jockey at a major hotel, many of the women couldn't identify their car other than by color. These people don't CARE. They want reliability. Most 45 year old women don't want to worry about finding parts for their husband's 40 year old 'toy.'

Believe me, 68, I am with you. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't waste $100k on a Mercedes or Audi, I'd be off to the next Barrett-Jackson and have my bib on. You and I are not the average car buyers, though.

Whether the Fit is a great car or not is really not the issue. Most people who want to spend that kind of money will pony up the extra few bucks and get a Civic. That is why the Aveo and the Rio have carved out a niche for themselves. If you want a new car that is reliable and don't want to spend $20k, then the Aveo or Rio will probably do othe trick. Nobody in this segment is going to be jerking off over the plastic dashboard or looking for a G-force meter.

Actually, let me take a different tack altogether. I love cars...I have since I was six or 7. I turn 43 Today, and I've owned maybe seven "special interest" cars and about 4 or 5 daily drivers that I have loved.

Who knows how long I'll live? Who wants to waste their time worrying about how long they will live?

I want to spend the rest of my days enjoying cars.

The Fit is a great City car, and along with the Cobalt and a few other cars (VW Diesel Jetta, Pontiac G6 retractable, Saab 9-3, Mazda RX-8) I am actually thinking of buying one for my next car purchase.

VW diesel-Love diesel cars, love the local TDI group.

Pontiac G6 Convertible-love convertibles, heres one available cheap nearly new on the used market the whole family can enjoy. My kids are always bugging me about a convertible that at least 4 people can ride in.

Saab-great interior, love the aviation heritage.

Mazda RX-8-love the idea of a Rotary, but if I buy an RX-8 I'm gonna buy a clean used 4th Gen TA for those times I actually want this thing called "Tourque." I've driven an RX-8 on an Autocross course and they handle great...but I'd still like to build a 3rd-4th gen Camaro or TA set up to turn, turn, turn.

Cobalt-I am actually starting to see some real genius to the design, built here in Ohio, affordable, safe, perfect for a family that will soon have a couple of teen drivers.

I like Sixty Eight's idea of a 60's or 70's car...But I've owned a 70 Chevelle and a 71 Chevelle, and that kind of scratched the itch for a 70's car. The 66 Mustang fastback kinda scratched the itch for a 60's car, and my 55 and 57 Chevy's kinda scratched the itch for a 50's car.

I am really thinking that if I buy another "collector" car it will be one of about 6 things.

1. Another Mustang, this time a 67-70 Ragtop.

2. Break the bank when the kids are older and buy a 58-62 Corvette. Still a ragtop, I love this body style 'vette.

3. Original 240Z Datsun.

4. Restored stock Ford or Chevy from say 1932-1936-7 or so. I just love cars from this era.

5. Buick Grand National.

6. Caterham Lotus 7.

This is an off topic ADDish post, but...I love a lot of different cars, and I think people miss out when they only own one type of car. I think it would be healthy and fun for Sixty Eight to enjoy a small, modern FWD car that handles well (Volkswagen GTI perhaps, or Mini Cooper S) Moltar to own a big old land yacht, Carbiz to own an old elegant British sports car (Healy 3000 perhaps, for an elegant drive with you and the BF?), and Siegen to own a domestic V8 RWD muscle car.

All of these cars are fun in a different way. You boys owe it to yourselves to try something different and new and not get stuck in a rut...

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

Actually, let me take a different tack altogether. I love cars...I have since I was six or 7. I turn 43 Today, and I've owned maybe seven "special interest" cars and about 4 or 5 daily drivers that I have loved.

All of these cars are fun in a different way. You boys owe it to yourselves to try something different and new and not get stuck in a rut...

Chris

I agree...I've loved cars since I was a little kid playing with Matchbox and Hot Wheels on the carpet, chewing on the tires.. got my first car mag subscriptions at age 7 to Car & Driver and Road & Track. I like a lot of different types of cars...which is probably why I won't replace my Jeep with another Jeep necessarily or my BMW with another...variety is the spice of life... same with food. I have my two Mustangs--one I've had 21 years, I've always liked Mustangs...I'll probably have another within the next 5 years- I want a V8 convertible w/ a manual, so probably an '05-09 GT or the next gen. Though the new Camaro beckons also.

I've thought about a new CTS for my next daily driver, but the diesel Jetta is also appealing..I love diesels--had a diesel Escort as a teenager and in college. But I also find the G8 as well as modern-yet-old-school cars like the Grand Marquis and Town Car very appealing. Not that I ever wanted to be a cop, but the thought of having a black CV PI with the push bars, spotlights, and black wheels is very appealing (maybe I've watched too many crime dramas over the years..) And I definitely want a '70s land yacht eventually for a weekend toy. The Grand National was an icon of my teenage years, I'd love to have one to go w/ my '87 Mustang GT, and an '87 IROC Z in yellow or that blue that was so popular back in the day.

I'm 38 now, plan to buy one new car and probably one late model used car by the time I'm 40, and probably keep the Jeep and Mustangs...hopefully, at some point, all in the same place rather than 2500 miles apart.

Edited by moltar

You'll see a rabbi eating a HAM sandwich & Superman putting on

kryptonite boxer shorts before you ever see me "enjoy" a FWD

car, well... a modern FWD car.

I certainly would not pass up an affordable 1937 Cord 812 or '67

Cadillac Eldorado, but both of those are the complete antithesis

of the Hon-duh "(I wanna have a) Fit."

Siegen

I know I started this silliness, so the semantics are my own fault

but to be fair you forgot the savings on the old land yacht in terms

of three very KEY areas:

- WAYYYY cheaper insurace

- sales tax that would be 5-10% of the new Honda, and same for yearly excise

- the sad, pathetic reality of driving a damn toaster on wheels, the Fit makes a '75 VW Rabbitt seem cavernous :wink:

I personally having grown up in Eastern Europe, think it's sad & tragic that gasoline

prices here in the USA have made so many Americans willing to drive such gutless,

tiny, cramped & uninspired cars that, 3 years ago, would have been cast off by 99%

of Americans as some city-car meant for an Tokyo or "All-weather-golf cart" & yet

now people are waxing poetic.

(no disrespect O.B., it was a well written review)

This is America, we drive REAL cars, with trunks & sixteen valve motors that

have only ONE camshaft but EIGHT pistons, you can take your sneaker on

wheels and move to France, there it is not frowned upon to wear banana

hammocks, act like you're stuck in a god-damned invisible box while hanging

out on a street corner with your crooked goofy hat & stripped shirt....

over here in the USA-hater's mecca you can drive your College Fridge on

wheels as if it was NOT emasculating.

And while you're over there tell'em the Eifel tower looked way cooler when it

was painted Chevrolet Engine Block Orange. :AH-HA_wink:

That is a Mercedes like the Caddy BulLShit is a modern day V12 LaSalle.

The Germans should be ashamed.

That is a Mercedes like the Caddy BulLShit is a modern day V12 LaSalle.

The Germans should be ashamed.

...no, they shouldn't. Not everyone wants a large, V-8, RWD car, and if America is about the freedom to enjoy a V-8 land yacht it can also be about the freedom to enjoy a small car.

Let me give you this wildly improbably scenario...Julie, your wife, invents a carb that lets any 50's or 60's or 70's V8 RWD car get 34 MPG.

The Martians exist and have quietly stolen every 50's, 60's, and 70's Hardtop American V8 car that was going to be crushed back in the day, taken it to Mars, and performed a nut and bolt resto of amazing quality...

I can be teleported to Mars, have my pick of these cars, and put it in my garage. I can have up to four cars in my garage, lets say, and all 4 can be from the "Martian collection."

I'd have a nice 66-67 442 Hardtop Olds...along with a Volkswagen GTI, a 240Z, and a 34 Ford street rod or something.

I like old RWD land yachts but I also like other cars.

Given that most of the cars (RWD, Hardtop, non-special interest) of the era are in anything BUT the aforementioned perfect shape, and that I wouldn't really want to put my wife and family in a 68 Bonneville that has spent its life in somewhere like Ohio or mAssachusetts, esp. not on a long distance trip out of state...

I think I see a Fit in my future. I don't really see one in yours, but I also don't see a Cord or V16 Cadillac either.

Chris