Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Do you like cats?

trinacriabob

I grew up with a dog - an Australian Shepherd. I'm still a "dog person."

There are some cats where I live and all, except one, are skittish. This one grayish-brown tabby is a friendly little $h!. I thought he had an owner but I was told he does not, though people take care of him by feeding him. He comes right up to you and, if you sit down, it jumps into your lap and wants to be pet. He's a smart one, too...if you scratch his belly, he will grab you with both front paws but retracts the claws so he doesn't scratch you. My dog would do that...you'd tug on her tail, she'd take your hand into her mouth, but NOT bite down. Damn, domestic animals are smart.

Sometimes, in the evening, if this cat sees me, he follows me and bolts into my front door. He proceeds to climb up onto my couch or the dining table and stretches out and lays there or "marks" furniture or other stuff by rubbing up against it.

I think most of us who don't like cats don't like them because of the typical cat's aloof personality. This one acts more like a dog.

You like cats? You hate cats? Indifferent?

I love dogs... esp. terriers, little, pointy, tough dogs that think they are 100 lbs when they are 10 lbs. I do like cats also, esp. Siamese and Bengals. My sister used to have Siamese and I really liked them, great personalities and not as aloof as other breeds, I think. I've taken care of friends' Bengals before, great personalities also.

cats are ok, but i'll never be the sole care taker of one.

dogs, as long as their temperament isn't bad, their fine, if they're bigger, they need to be trained more than the smaller dogs. some breeds are pretty ugly though.

Growing up, we had a dog. Since then (now married), we've had 2 in-house cats. Hoover we had to put down last spring, he was 16. Rallye (named after my Charger) was put down years ago.

I like all animals, but I have no desire whatsoever to ever live with any again. Sorry to say, I just do not have room/time in my life right now for them.

Always a cat for me. But the cat must be independent, perfectly able to take care of itself outside if need be, and not be too friendly, but not be too much of a little $h!, either. I desire a cat that does not need me, but rather enjoys my company, if you get the difference. Of the four cats my family has, only one fits that bill. Two are totally helpless and dependent, and the other is an incorrigible asshole.

I had a black lab.back in Slovakia as a kid... considered myself a dog person for years,

but tie wise & entertainment wise cats rule. They hae more personality and their

independence is nice if you're a busy person. It's mucg easier to be a responsible cat

owner than dog owner.

I had been feeding my neighbor's cat outside for about a year before they moved away. She had been an inside cat but they put her out. About 2 weeks after they moved, she somehow got injured. Vet thought she either got knocked in the head or hit by a car. Also, an a-hole tomcat kept coming onto my deck and chasing her away from the food I put out (she is spayed). So I brought her into the house "until she recovers". That was 3 months ago. She's healthy, playful and affectionate, but can be flighty at times. We had cats on the farm, Tommy, Kissy, Longjohn Silver, Portly Short... I just call my current cat Mama Girl.

I had a black Persian for 18 years. What a nasty bitch. Hissed at everyone but me. Then I got a male black Persian. Had him for 9 years. Affectionate to a fault. Drove me nuts sometimes, demanding attention at 4 in the morning - even if that meant me chasing him around with the spray bottle. Had to have him put down in December. A blood clot moved to his legs and paralysed him. I cried like a schoolgirl. We have a kitten now: 12 weeks old. I have the scars on my hands to prove it. Still, she is whacky and wonderful, except when she tries to climb on me while I am typing this. (All spelling mistakes are hers.)

I have a Husky. He is 12 years old. Had him since he was a ball of fluff at 8 weeks. I hate small dogs: terriers, poodles, you name it. They are yappy and psycho. My sister has two golden labs. Yech. Way too needy. Huskies are more like cats: independent and playful.

You can tell a lot about people and their relations to animals. You are wired by evolution to look after your own kids so you get no brownie points for doing that. However, owning a pet is a very selfless act and a huge commitment. Selfish jerks never own animals. Uptight anal types don't either - might mess their hair/clothes/apartment.

When I was single, I could use the dog as a baramoter as to whether a prospect was a keeper or not. Aloof queens would ignore my dog. My partner of 6 years walked into my apartment at 4 a.m. and rolled around on the carpet with my dog. He was a keeper.

Edited by CARBIZ

Hey bob, you should take that cat in so it no longer has to wander the streets and be at risk of cars and other animals.

I like dogs but I am a cat person. We have 5 cats: 2 before I met my girlfriend, 4 when she moved in, and one we saved from being abandoned.

Cats are amazing because n ot only can they take care of themselves better than dogs, but they can be every bit as affectionate if not more. It all depends on how they were raised, like with every living creature.

Her 2 cats are the sweetest most friendly things ever. One of them will walk up to anyone and be pet while the other is more shy ntil she gets to know you, then its the same. They will sleep near you or in your arms at night, they will jump on your lap when you come home, as though to ask how your day was, and of course they can be funny as hell.

I've always had both cats and dogs, my preference is cats though. They do their own thing and leave me alone when I'm not in the mood to be bothered. My current dog is a German Shepard and he is a total psycho, he's 7 years old I believe and is still a big baby, lets put it this way...my mother has to literally spoon feed him his food.

Dogs.

I severely dislike cats. Cats seem to become obsessed with me, it's like I smell like catnip or something, they just whore my attention. And then they insist on getting pet... they demand it. When they're done, they bite you.

I'm highly allergic to cats too. Dogs, no.

And I love my Kelly... she's a freakin' genius. She treats my goddaughter and niece like they're her own children, and all she asks for in return is someone to open the door so she can make, give her food and water, and occasionally be pet and played with.

I hate small dogs: terriers, poodles, you name it. They are yappy and psycho.

Agreed.

In order of which I would rather have:

Big dog--My parents have a black lab who is a ton of fun. His idea of play is chasing our horses.

Cat--Cats do their thing, I do mine, sometimes we trade affectionate gestures to each other, it's all good. But I can't get past the feeling that all cats are sociopaths at heart who would gladly eat me if possible.

Small dog--what carbiz said.

You can tell a lot about people and their relations to animals. You are wired by evolution to look after your own kids so you get no brownie points for doing that. However, owning a pet is a very selfless act and a huge commitment. Selfish jerks never own animals. Uptight anal types don't either - might mess their hair/clothes/apartment.

You can also tell a lot about people by the way their pets act. In my experience, asshole people end up with asshole pets.

And then they insist on getting pet... they demand it. When they're done, they bite you.

Ha. Yes. Two occasions just like this.

My brother and his wife had 2 cats. The friendlier one of the two, all purring and cuddly, turns around after a couple of minutes, clamps down on my hand and draws blood....the day before I left for Europe. I disinfected it right away and was glad no infection followed.

The next door neighbors to my parents. The back of their lot is sloped with ground cover and no fence. I would see this little black cat there. I was sitting in a patio chair and it came over and let me pet it. In about 30 seconds, he proceeds to bite me and starts hissing at me.

Generally, I've had better luck with dogs.

Ha. Yes. Two occasions just like this.

My brother and his wife had 2 cats. The friendlier one of the two, all purring and cuddly, turns around after a couple of minutes, clamps down on my hand and draws blood....the day before I left for Europe. I disinfected it right away and was glad no infection followed.

The next door neighbors to my parents. The back of their lot is sloped with ground cover and no fence. I would see this little black cat there. I was sitting in a patio chair and it came over and let me pet it. In about 30 seconds, he proceeds to bite me and starts hissing at me.

Generally, I've had better luck with dogs.

They actually do the same thing after sex. :scratchchin:

To answer the original question, I prefer cats (only person in my family who does). Dogs seem to like me though.

It's mucg easier to be a responsible cat

owner than dog owner.

Exactly...why I am not much of a Dog person. To me Dogs are hazzards to joggers, cyclists, people who want to keep their yards nice, motorcyclists, children, etc. Plus they are sometimes loud and destructive. There are days I think I could actually handle dogs going extinct.

I don't really have a problem with dogs, just the idiots that seem to own them.

OTOH, my very good friend Ric has a $h!su (sp) which is a great dog. Hard to argue with a dog with a personality that good, and he loves to ride in my Miata with the top down.

Chris

Agreed.

You can also tell a lot about people by the way their pets act. In my experience, asshole people end up with asshole pets.

Well spoken!

Chris

I like both and I have both.

We found our cat in a parking lot at our old complex. She was really thin (So thin we thought she was a kitten) and really wild but once we started feeding her she kinda warmed up to us. The first thing we fed her was Balogna, so we named her Baloney. We were about to go home for Christmas break and started thinking about how she would eat while we were gone. (According to other tenants. she had been catching birds) So we trapped her and brought her in. It was pretty evident that she had been an inside cat at one point because the first place she went was under the bed to hide and she knew all about the litter box thing. (thankfully) We took her to the vet and had her checked out and updated her shots. The vet told us that she was actually an older cat, but was so malnutritioned that she looked small/young.

She's pretty tame now and she's 'fat n happy' and still very nocturnal. She was never really a mean cat, just very scared of everything. It's always fun to watch her freak out about stuff though. She's so playful and 'weird' and tends to do all of the classic cat stuff like jumping 3 feet in the air, hiding behind stuff to attack random things (us, the dogs, toys, a random piece of lint on the floor... you name it) running across the apartment like a bat out of hell in the middle of the night. She's very entertaining and she's a ham too... The more attention, the better.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM