Something that really pisses me off.

Intrepidation

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitch please, are you surprised?:huh:

I don't remember Croc, I was Googling something on LA, and that came up, I just saved the pic.

Number 10 on that list says it all, I rest my case.

But 1-9 are just as bad.

I can sit here and create a list of anti-anything, but whether or not it's based in reality or is total BS depends on the source of information. Also, legitimate agencies tend not to take these fact lists and turn them into animated .gifs.

PCS, you found it, so find it again. I see nothing that makes this animated .gif seem credible, and there are a couple points that run counter to what I've already read.

ETA: Wow, this took like a minute to find:

List of Facts and Figures about Illegal Immigration-Mostly Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:

The eRumor claims to have a list of alarming facts about Illegal immigration.

The Truth:

Illegal immigration is a significant issue for Americans and deserves attention, but whoever authored this eRumor did not help his or her cause. Most of the figures are either difficult to prove or don't match known facts. Some seem to be fabricated. A couple actually proved their point even better than the statistics quoted.

Some versions say the figures are from the Los Angeles Times (which is not true). Others say they are statistics from the FBI (which is not true either).

One of the challenges with this topic is that illegal immigrants are somewhat invisible to statistics. They are living underground and the best figures about illegal immigrants are mostly based on deductions from those who are either in professional positions working with immigrant issues or doing research on immigration. None of the estimates should be considered the last word on illegal immigration and the figures we found sometimes varied widely.

Here is our research on each of the points of the email:

1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County (L.A. County has 10.2 million people) Fiction!

Economic Roundtable in Los Angeles issued a report in 2005 on what it called "L.A's Off-The-Books labor force." Its research was about the city of Los Angeles, not the entire county, and concluded that there were 3,908,000 wage earners in the city and about 972,000 "informal workers," meaning they were getting paid under the table. It does not break down how many of them might have been illegal aliens, but the percentage was no where near 40 percent. Los Angeles Almanac estimated number of "unreported jobs" in 2005 in Los Angeles County at 643,000 with a number of workers at 4,090.630.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens-Mostly Truth!

The most commonly quoted source for this is a report by Heather McDonald and published by the Center for Immigration Studies. She repeated her research on April 13, 2005 in testimony before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on "Immigration, Border Security, and Claims" saying that 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide in Los Angeles targeted illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens-Unproven!

We could not find anything to substantiate this. If you browse through the Most Wanted list for the Los Angeles Police Department there are a lot of foreign-born listed, but not how many of them may be illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers-Inaccurate!

According to a report by the Los Angeles Times, about half the births in Los Angeles County in 2004 were to undocumented women. In 1989 California required by law that the state Medi-Cal program be available to pregnant women living in poverty.

5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally-Fiction!

National statistics would tend to suggest that this claim is not true. A 2007 report by the Immigration Policy Center said that among men 18-39, which represents the majority of prison inmates, the incarceration rate of foreign born was 0.7 percent while the incarceration rate of native born was 3.5 percent. Foreign born Mexicans had an incarceration rate of 0.7 percent in 2000 compared with 5.9 percent for native born men of Mexican descent. The report did not say how many of the foreign born were illegal. A 1993 report to the California Joint Committee on Prison Construction and Operations estimated that more than 15 percent of the 116,000 state prison inmates were illegal aliens. In her congressional testimony (referenced above), Heather McDonald said that the L.A. County Sheriff reported in 2000 that 23% of inmates in county jails were deportable, according to the New York Times. That's all inmates, however, not just Mexicans.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages-Unproven!

It is known that large numbers of illegal immigrants are crammed into houses and apartments that are too small for the number of people living in them and that others are living in garages, but we could not find anyone who kept statistics on garage-dwellers or how anybody would know their numbers.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border-Unproven!

It is known that gangs do include illegal aliens but coming up with a reliable statistic would be difficult. Again, the gangs operate underground.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal-Unproven!

9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking-Mostly Truth!

As the Spanish-speaking population of Los Angeles has grown so has the presence of Spanish-speaking media. We counted about 18 stations in Los Angeles that are either Spanish or are multi-cultural and include Spanish in their music or programming. At this writing, four of the top ten stations in Los Angeles are Spanish and the number-one station is usually Spanish.

10. In L.A. County 5.1 million people speak English. 3.9 million speak Spanish. (There are 10.2 million people in L.A. County )-Inaccurate But the Real Figures Support the Point!

The U.S.Census Bureau reported that as of 2004, 3.9 million people in L.A.County spoke only English at home; 3.7 million spoke primarily Spanish at home.

11. Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare-Fiction!

The U.S. department of Labor said that the number of farm workers who were undocumented in 1998-1998 was 52% .

Regarding welfare, most illegal immigrants are not eligible for welfare except for elementary and high school education and emergency medical care. Children born in the U.S. are citizens and qualify for certain public assistance. But what is generally thought of as welfare is available only to citizens or legal immigrants.

12. Over 70% of the United States annual population growth (and over 90% of California , Florida , and New York) is illegal aliens-Fiction!

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security estimates that the number of illegal aliens increased in 2000 by 408,000 while the general population increased by 32,712,033.

Last updated 6/3/07

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/i/illegal-aliens.htm

Yea, none of those sound familiar or anything, right?

Edited by Croc

I applaud the efforts of law enforcement to get illegals out of this country. They are a drain on our society and they need to be purged. Anyone going for citizenship should be required to know English before legal status is given. Public assistance needs to be cleansed of fraud. I personally know people who cheat the public assistance system and live well doing it.

I applaud the efforts of law enforcement to get illegals out of this country. They are a drain on our society and they need to be purged. Anyone going for citizenship should be required to know English before legal status is given. Public assistance needs to be cleansed of fraud. I personally know people who cheat the public assistance system and live well doing it.

+1

Have you turned them in? It's your civic duty to do so!

My sister turned in some that were down the street from her a couple of years ago...a neighbor had rented out a house to a bunch of filthy Mexicans who made a mess of the place..working on broken down Chebbies in the driveway, loud Mexican music at 2am, let the yard go to pot, etc. Their presence hurt the neighborhood--it's a nice Phoenix neighborhood of clean older $200-300k houses with palm trees and green yards, not the shabby barrio dumps found in other parts of town where the illegals run rampant.

Eventually they got evicted (through the efforts of many people), and the house was sold and remodeled..I talked to the guy that remodeled it, he had to strip the interior to the studs--ripped out the sheetrock, everything because the cretins had made such a mess...

Edited by moltar

He's an American citizen, has been since birth, but it would be interesting to see it debated in open court, since Article II only says "natural born citizen" and I'm not sure how persons born in American possessions (Puerto Rico, foreign military bases, etc) are issued birth certificates.

He's an American citizen, has been since birth, but it would be interesting to see it debated in open court, since Article II only says "natural born citizen" and I'm not sure how persons born in American possessions (Puerto Rico, foreign military bases, etc) are issued birth certificates.

Actually, John McCain, who ran for the Republican party nomination in 2000 and is the Republican nominee in 2008, was born at the Coco Solo U.S. military base in the Panama Canal Zone to U.S. parents. Although the Panama Canal Zone was not considered to be part of the United States, Federal law states: "Any person born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904, and whether before or after the effective date of this chapter, whose father or mother or both at the time of the birth of such person was or is a citizen of the United States, is declared to be a citizen of the United States." The law that conferred this status took effect on August 4, 1937, one year after John McCain was born — albeit with retroactive effect, resulting in McCain being declared a U.S. citizen. However, the question as to whether or not he is a citizen from birth cannot be answered by this law because it took effect after his birth and it does not state that the person's citizenship was acquired at birth, only that they are a citizen by means of the law's establishment (and, hence, at the time the law takes effect). Indeed, the law in 1936 stated that all persons born to two US citizen parents outside the "limits and jurisdictions of the United States" are citizens at birth, but the problem is that the Panama Canal Zone was explicitly excluded. (8 U.S.C. 173 (1925): "The term 'United States' shall be construed to mean the United States, and any waters, territory, or other place subject to the jurisdiction thereof, except the Isthmian Canal Zone.") The status of Mr. McCain's citizenship at birth nonetheless remains unsettled.

As for me, I have dual citizenship, my American status is covered under the 14th Amendment (Persons born in the United States, and persons born on foreign soil to two U.S. parents, are born American citizens and are classified as citizens at birth under 8 USC 1401). At the time my parents were married, my German mother became a US citizen as soon as she married my father in the mid 1960's. I don't think that is allowed now, by that I mean today you just can't marry an American citizen and be considered an American yourself.

I keep my German citizenship under German Citizen Law which dates from 1913 and is based on the legal principle of jus sanguinis, or "blood law," parentage and ethnicity determine German nationality, not place of birth. For example, A descendant of Germans stranded in Russia since the 18th century is considered a German, while a Slav who was born in Munich is not. However, German citizenship may have been made easier by the Bundestag (German Parliament) within the last few years.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Here is the flag for Jesusland, which I'm sure the right wingers would love:

250px-Flag_of_Jesusland.svg.png

My senior yearbook has Jesus on it with a flag behind him, it's quite revolting for this day and age, this was from a catholic HS. and done because two ladies couldn't give in to the other so a guy said f' it and put the ideas together (the teacher was quitting that year too). i'm class of 02 so 9/11 played a big part of that.