2009 Toyota Avensis

cire

Based on the spy shots, I thought that the 2009 Avensis might turn out to be a nice looking sedan for Toyota. My opinion has changed drastically now that all the camo has been removed. This car continues the recent Toyota design direction of combining a bland overall design with awkward and hideous front/rear treatments. Oh well, I guess we can be thankful that we won't see this thing out and about on U.S. roads.

undefined

Wow... it seems just when you think they have

hit rock bottom in terms of styling, Toyota just

LOVES to set the bar even lower!

The rear 3/4 view isn't bad. Kind of has a sporty look to it, although it is on the bland side and the styling details look a bit Hyundai/Kia-ish.

But the front, oh boy. I had a similar reaction as to when I first saw the '09 RL. The hood is very high, and the head lights and grille are very awkward. The lower part of the front bumper looks pretty good though.

I kinda like it.....!

Compared to the blandness of the Corolla and Camry, this is at least relatively interesting.

I like the two-tone (beige/black) interior treatment and, while I'm not totally sure if I like it or not, the matte-finish woodgrain trim at least makes a nice departure from the plasti-wood norm.....

• 4 weeks later...
Why? Because it has a Chevy bowtie on the grille?

No, because the Cruze has cleaner lines. I think the Avensis is a little overwraught-looking, and as always, I find Toyota's proportions to be just a little "off"--enough to look funny.

The Cruze is attractive, this Toyota is awkward and /or ugly depending on the angle.

The Cruze is awkward as well...but I do like it a little more. The rear 3/4 of the Toyota is pretty good looking, but the front looks like they threw some experimental headlights on a Camry and did whatever they needed in order to make them fit.

If I lived in either of these markets, I wouldn't buy either. There a lot better looking cars out there.

Nothing except the FWD proportions and cheap C-pillar molding offends me

on the Cruze... but the Toyota looks like a Chinese knock off of an already

awkward car. I agree about the headlights, but it does not stop there.

Nothing except the FWD proportions and cheap C-pillar molding offends me

on the Cruze... but the Toyota looks like a Chinese knock off of an already

awkward car. I agree about the headlights, but it does not stop there.

The Sebring perhaps?

The Sebring perhaps?

Sure... that's an insult in both directions.

I didn't like the front end of the Cruze at all when it was first unveiled, but now after better pics have been released I really like it a lot. Especially since it really is the first new design for a compact since the J-bodies debuted. The Cobalt was really just a redesigned Cavalier with a name change, design-wise.

Edited by Croc

The Avensis is a new design on the old architecture. It's still a generation behind the Europeans, but then demand for larger sedans such as the Mondeo and Insignia is limited anyway. The major improvement is the new Valvematic engines, which lose the throttle like BMW's Valvetronic, and add dual cam phasing like all of GM's updated 4-cylinders.