Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

'09 Focus Coupes MIA?

14 posts in this topic

Shoot, I've been waiting to see the lightly restyled '09 Focus coupes, to no avail as of yet. Ford's site has '09 sedan info up, but nothing on the coupes. With my employee discount (for those that don't know, I work at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership), I think I could get a smokin' deal on an '09 SES coupe with Moon-n-Tune package. Does anyone have any info on the '09 coupe release date?

Well, speak of the devil... two local dealers must have gotten one each on Saturday, both of the SE trim level. The SE is lookin' good, with body-color handles and mirror caps, the 16" snowflake wheels, foglamps in the new "gaping maw" bumper, a low-profile rear spoiler and chrome exhaust tip, not to mention the blackened grille and outside lamps... all starting at $16,200+ MSRP. The SE cannot be ordered with the wicked 17" black chrome rims, but the snowflakes are fine, plus you can get a much wider color choice with the SE. I think I may have found my next car.

blu, i cruised a lot today and they had an 09 coupe.

BTW, i was JUST over talking with my neighbor.........he's the one who has an SSR and a big dodge ram, he works for dodge on the side and loves cars.

they got his wife a suzuki SX4 a few months ago and they LOVE it, he was gushing over it, positively gushing. Have you ever had an interest in that one?

Yeah, they're kinda cool. I keep gazing at a light blue '09 Touring manual at $17.7k MSRP every time I go by "my" BPG/Honda/Acura/Suzuki dealership. The MPG ratings aren't bad for an AWD vehicle.

How was the Focus Coupe configured that you saw today?

Edited by ocnblu

Yeah, they're kinda cool. I keep gazing at a light blue '09 Touring manual at $17.7k MSRP every time I go by "my" BPG/Honda/Acura/Suzuki dealership. The MPG ratings aren't bad for an AWD vehicle.

auto, cloth, no sunroof. pretty spendy. like 18,500. that's why i don't look at focuses, too expensive for what you get. spend 18 grand on a focus now and its worth 7k in two years....and i spent 2 weeks driving 08 focus this year while my car was getting fixed.

Its not much cheaper than like equipped fusions.

not to rub it in, but I am a Ford guy, I love fords, I've had a FOrd in my garage since 95 (except for a short period in 04) I love sync, I had the focus free for 2 weeks, nice car, but a few Astra XR test drives and honestly I am convinced the Astra is a way more satisfying drive than the focus. You could always put an Opel logo on the grille........

i would even consider test driving a cobalt and G5 again just to see how it stacks up. I am sure the SS cobalt kills it.

I think the Rabbit would trounce the focus if i drove the rabbit, i've driven the JEtta and its nice, I am just not metrosexual enough to drive a VW.

i'm one of those people that just can't spend that much on a small car, no matter how good it is. Even the Volvo C30 which i think is cool, to me should not exceed 20 grand.

why i do think the focus is popular...its a great commuter car. Nice armrest, convenient cupholders, sync, comfy seats, etc. I would never begrudge anyone for getting one, its really is a great commuter car.

New G6's are cheaper than similar equipped Focus even. I'd even venture to say that for 09, the epsilon cars with the 4 cyl 6 speed will outmileage the focus, or at least come close.

Some of it for me is seeing how ford dumped the ZX3 and ZX5. wish they'd kept those.

keep in mind also the SX4 has a toggle for the AWD system where you can turn the rear end completely off and be in FWD mode only whenever you want.

I am going to try to test drive an SX4. My neighbor, for him to like this car, is pretty incredible.

he said 33 hwy on a trip in the SX4, i'd bet in town high twenties at a minimum.

Edited by regfootball

$18,500 for a Focus? One dealership had an ad in the paper yesterday for a Fusion (SYNC, spoiler, 4cyl) for like $16,400.

In comparing MSRP for a Cobalt 1LT and a Focus SE, the Ford comes with aluminum wheels, foglamps, black-out trim and a spoiler (which I could do without, but I'm just saying, at least the Ford's spoiler doesn't block rear vision like the Chevy), in addition to matching the Chevy's power equipment and body-color mirror caps and handles. The only option I'd have to order on the Ford would be cruise control. I'd have to order MyLink and Chrome packages on the Cobalt to match the Ford's exterior trim features. To me the Focus has a nicer seating position, a more substantial interior with bigger seats, and an overall more up-to-date presentation (yes I know the basic chassis dates to 2000). It also has a rep for a quiet, smooth ride and good handling and MPG that exceeds the ratings (I do like the 2 mpg advantage Cobalt has with the manual, though.)

I love VWs but I would want to wait for the Mk VI Rabbit now that I've seen it, and our local dealer has a horrible rep for service. The Suzuki has a lot of good points, but it's "cute", you know what I mean? The new Fit is meaner looking than an SX4. "Cute" cars are kind of losing favor, except for the Mini, imho. Witness the Daewoo Cruze, which has an evil, unpleasant look in its eye when compared to the friendly Cobalt.

yeah satty, around these parts, focus are bringing big bucks. they are kind of a high mpg poster child car around here....thing is that just raises the price. before i got the T Rex, the dealer quoted me 18 grand for an 08 with moonroof and cloth...and STICK. add leather and sunroof and we are at 20 grand.

cobalts now are quite spendy too, if you want things like say....an armrest.

in general there is a big smokescreen out there in terms of small cheap cars. if you actually shop, you find you can rarely find anything less than 17 or 18k and that is even for cars that are not well equipped. Yaris and Versa and Kias and cheaper Hyundais will go for slightly cheaper although for example....i can buy a new Kia Optima or Sportage for 13 grand. BUT DOES that one have ABS even? No.

that's why i am afraid to buy small and overpay now. when the market corrects itself a bit and people shun their fear of larger cars in a couple of years, the value of a small car will tank I think. So if i pay say 18 grand for a small car now and in two years i can only get 8 grand for it......why not get a larger used car and take the same or less depreciation hit? It just depends how much you can endure 4 dollar gas, or 3 dollar gas.

Interesting to note.....diesel is about 3.80 here now. Almost a full dollar less than it was just a few months ago. Makes a TDI worthy of another looksy for some I bet.

If you shop a lot you actually find that prices on cars are not dropping for used, they are going up. Folks can't afford new cars and are snapping up quality used ones quicker than they come to market. THis is driving up the used market in general.

Except PT cruisers.....i was shocked, i found online yesterday the PT Cruiser is one used vehicle that is DIRT CHEAP right now....but after asking my neighbor about and reading user reports on line, I don't think i would get one. He confirmed that mpg on the PT Cruiser is indeed terrible. Not enough for me to risk buying a Chrysler, between that and reliability. I'll stick with my bulletproof fords thank you.

one thing to note....leasing has dried up on almost everything lately. except i see toyota must be getting scared because they have advertised cheap dumping leases on camry and corolla again. they are falling into GM's trap, overproducing. And thing is folks are waking up and realizing they can get a kia or hyundai or something, just as good and unexciting and save an assload of cash. i think toyota has a big wakeup call coming soon unless the whole hybrid thing saves their ass. Likewise, subaru is leasing aggressive right now....but their AWD distinction for many justifies the resale. The Impreza is an ok car, but its not attractive, its too feminine, and it doesn't get real good mpg.

edit- looks like suzuki has 0% for 60 on the SX4 sedan right now. test drive is in order.

EDIT 2- test drove an SX4 sedan lover lunch. WHAT A JOLT OF SUGAR AND CAFFEINE AND SPEED THAT IS. more later. I'll create a thread. Definitely a FUN CAR!

Edited by regfootball

Reg, while I don't know how an SX4 drives, I do think it's a great overall package. It was definitely on my list of cars to drive, but I ended up going for a Vue instead since I needed bigger.

Looking forward to reading your review on it though.

The SX4 cant be any worse than the Aerio, which was louder at highway speed than my mom's old SL2.

Well, I went by the closest dealer that had one tonight after work to see about a test drive, and the durn thing was GONE already. I didn't go inside though, maybe it was being dealer prepped or something.

The SX4 cant be any worse than the Aerio, which was louder at highway speed than my mom's old SL2.

i liked the aerio, and the SX4 is just more of the same, evolved, and yes its loud but not coarse. no vibration, unlike what i feel in toyotas. I didn't think it was overly loud, and it fit the character of the car. It really was fun, although I am not sure someone can handle that sort of automotive sugar buzz every day. I will say this, it sure makes you an aggressive driver.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0