Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hoping.

Blake Noble

For the love of god, punch the seller in the face for posting that it needs "break work."

Well it is Kin Tuck Key! :rotflmao:

Hmm ... I'll just put it this way: I don't think the backwoods of Jellico, Tennessee are particularly known for "the book-smarts." :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

But anyway, if the car is mine, the cost of the car will only be $3,000, not $3,500, and it is in decent enough shape to be driven daily while it is being restored. The engine needs new valve pan gaskets, the choke fixed back to normal, a good cleaning with a pressure washer, and it's set to go (even still, it continues to run decently). It needs very little bodywork (there's some rust around the rear window and a small bit of rust on the driver's side floorboard and the front bumper needs to be replaced and realigned) and interior work (which amounts to a headliner, some trim, and a driver's side door panel).

Edited by YellowJacket894

Nice VEHICLE. VEHICLE are my favorite. I've always wanted VEHICLE but have never been able to find VEHICLE in good enough shape in my price range to buy VEHICLE. Hopefully everything with VEHICLE checks out. Good luck in purchasing VEHICLE. VEHICLE looks like a great project. VEHICLE will be sweet when it's all done!

Great title, dumbass!

YJ: nice Olds; hope it works out for you!

Well, the seller called back this evening and I have great news: the car is ours if we get it tomorrow morning. Looks like I'll be driving a Cutlass now by Tuesday.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS, YJ! Hope you post more pics of it once you take ownership ;).

Now, I just need to find a deal like that for a winter beater for me ;). he he

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

My good camera doesn't have any batteries, so some photos off of my cell phone will have to do for now. Next on the agenda is to get the car a plate and insurance and to get the brakes fixed. So I guess I'll actually be driving my Cutlass by Wednesday, not by tomorrow.

cutlass7.jpg

cutlass1.jpg

cutlass3.jpg

cutlass2.jpg

cutlass4.jpg

cutlass6.jpg

cutlass5.jpg

And yes, the mileage is correct, and the A/C does work (it just doesn't blow ice cold air).

That is one sexy beast. Lots of luck with it, my friend.

Just as a word of advice, I'd consider popping out the rear glass (or at least the stainless trim), and the interior quarter trim so you can check out the condition of the metal underneath. Rust spots like that typically originate under the trim and creep outward. Water gets stuck underneath the trim and, as the glue deteriorates over time, makes its way to the metal and lays there. As long as it's solid, you can get away with putting some rust encapsulator on it and covering it with any old white just so it looks halfway decent, just to keep the rust at bay until you have time to repair it the right way. Quarter panels are a PITA to change, and if you can prevent it now with a quickie repair, by all means.

That is one sexy beast. Lots of luck with it, my friend.

Thanks, Z. :)

Just as a word of advice, I'd consider popping out the rear glass (or at least the stainless trim), and the interior quarter trim so you can check out the condition of the metal underneath. Rust spots like that typically originate under the trim and creep outward. Water gets stuck underneath the trim and, as the glue deteriorates over time, makes its way to the metal and lays there. As long as it's solid, you can get away with putting some rust encapsulator on it and covering it with any old white just so it looks halfway decent, just to keep the rust at bay until you have time to repair it the right way. Quarter panels are a PITA to change, and if you can prevent it now with a quickie repair, by all means.

Thanks for the warning. 8) I think as soon as I have the time to take care of that task, I'll check out what's going on. I do plan on replacing the panel between the rear window and trunklid with an all new panel that will run me around $150, however.

I'm still looking out for a winter beater for you by the way, Cort. :AH-HA_wink:

Before I forget about this, I think I might have found you a likely candidate for a winter beater, Cort. There's a 1987 Monte Carlo LS in near-by Richmond for $2800 I believe. If you're interested, I'll try to make my way up there as soon as the Cutlass is legally and mechanically able to be driven (I would drive the Sonoma, but it's out of commission -- it needs a new headlight and the fender and hood repaired after a friend of mine backed his dad's F-150 into it).

I'll be taking pics of it left and right as soon as it's here, Cort. And it's progress will most likely be documented in the Project Car forum here on the boards.

LOL...GOOD! I noticed the pics you have already posted...REALLY looks good, bud. BTW, I may've missed it somewhere along the line, but what color is the interior?

I'm still looking out for a winter beater for you by the way, Cort. :AH-HA_wink:

SWEET!

Before I forget about this, I think I might have found you a likely candidate for a winter beater, Cort. There's a 1987 Monte Carlo LS in near-by Richmond for $2800 I believe. If you're interested, I'll try to make my way up there as soon as the Cutlass is legally and mechanically able to be driven (I would drive the Sonoma, but it's out of commission -- it needs a new headlight and the fender and hood repaired after a friend of mine backed his dad's F-150 into it).

Sounds GOOD to me. Yes, please take a drive out there and see what it looks like to you...and, if you can, snap some pics.

I have actually been talking to a guy about a '77 Caprice Classic in Frankfort KY. From the pics I've seen, it looks good for a winter beater.... BUT, now that you noticed that '87 MC LS...well...may have to give that some consideration first ;).

LOL...GOOD! I noticed the pics you have already posted...REALLY looks good, bud. BTW, I may've missed it somewhere along the line, but what color is the interior?

Thanks, Cort. :) To answer your question, the interior is just plain black. You'll see more once I get my camera working again.

SWEET!

Sounds GOOD to me. Yes, please take a drive out there and see what it looks like to you...and, if you can, snap some pics.

I guess it might sound even better to you when I tell you that I was wrong on the price and it's actually $2,100 and not $2,800. :smilewide:

I'll get those photos as soon as the Cutlass's brakes are fixed. Thanks to a friend of mine who owns a '71 Cutlass (with a 455 I might add), it now can sustain idle (the carburetor needs to be rebuilt, it seems), so after I replace the master cylinder, it can be driven daily.

I have actually been talking to a guy about a '77 Caprice Classic in Frankfort KY. From the pics I've seen, it looks good for a winter beater.... BUT, now that you noticed that '87 MC LS...well...may have to give that some consideration first ;).

I do have one question I have to ask you concerning the Monte I found: do you like silver stripes? :P

Something I've wanted to get off of my mind: It seems that after finally taking ownership of a classic car, I've really started to "open my eyes" about new cars and my revelation is this: new cars really do suck, in Layman's terms. In fact, I've honestly been toying around with the idea of getting rid of the Sonoma and buying another classic car to replace it. The Cutlass will be much cheaper to repair and much cheaper to insure than a new car, so the higher cost of gas is offset by the savings in those areas.

Who knows? Maybe I'll be like Sixty-8 ten years from now and own and drive nothing but old cars. I've already begun to start hating b-pillars since I've gotten my Cutlass ... :P

As for my plans for buying an F5 Camaro, those are on hold until further notice. So I guess I have waffled on it after all, PCS. But at least those waffles ain't from Belgium. :smilewide:

Something I've wanted to get off of my mind: It seems that after finally taking ownership of a classic car, I've really started to "open my eyes" about new cars and my revelation is this: new cars really do suck, in Layman's terms. In fact, I've honestly been toying around with the idea of getting rid of the Sonoma and buying another classic car to replace it. The Cutlass will be much cheaper to repair and much cheaper to insure than a new car, so the higher cost of gas is offset by the savings in those areas.

Who knows? Maybe I'll be like Sixty-8 ten years from now and own and drive nothing but old cars. I've already begun to start hating b-pillars since I've gotten my Cutlass ... :P

As for my plans for buying an F5 Camaro, those are on hold until further notice. So I guess I have waffled on it after all, PCS. But at least those waffles ain't from Belgium. :smilewide:

:scratchchin:

Thanks, Cort. :) To answer your question, the interior is just plain black. You'll see more once I get my camera working again.

Cool! Looking forward to more pics!

As for the interior ... wow ... all black? With white, I prefer the saddle/tan interior....

I guess it might sound even better to you when I tell you that I was wrong on the price and it's actually $2,100 and not $2,800. :smilewide:

*grins*

Yes, indeedy!

I do have one question I have to ask you concerning the Monte I found: do you like silver stripes? :P

*raises eyebrow*

Silver stripes? I guess it kinda depends on the type of stripes ;).

Ahhhhhh...glad someone else finally gets why I have an older car as a daily driver.....

Tho, ironically, I have been considering a newer car, instead of the '77-'79 Caprice or '86-'88 MC LS as a daily winter beater...he heh.

Cool! Looking forward to more pics!

As for the interior ... wow ... all black? With white, I prefer the saddle/tan interior....

*grins*

Well, my Cutlass wasn't originally white from the factory, but was gold instead. The plate under the hood of the car, the paint behind the a-pillar trim panels, and a note written on the back of a business card I found in the glovebox all confirm that. :D

Yes, indeedy!

Well then I'll try to have some photos to you before next week ends. :)

*raises eyebrow*

Silver stripes? I guess it kinda depends on the type of stripes ;).

Well the car is a purplish-blue with silver "super sport" stripes as some of the locals here call them. Not exactly my cup o' tea, but I guess that's why they invented Macco, right? :P

Ahhhhhh...glad someone else finally gets why I have an older car as a daily driver.....

Tho, ironically, I have been considering a newer car, instead of the '77-'79 Caprice or '86-'88 MC LS as a daily winter beater...he heh.

I can definitely see the reasoning behind only owning older cars instead of newer ones. I mean, I still do want an F5 Camaro, but then I think of how nice it would be to have not just one, but two classics as daily drivers.