Bands/artists that suck

Satty

I think these guys sum up best most of the bands I cannot stand. Unoriginal, over-angsty, and are loved by 15 year old chicks everywhere.

I do like the original version of that song, though...I'm a big Don Henley fan..

Those Ataris kids are way too young to be singing that song, with one of it's themes being about the passing of youth and entering middle age..

Edited by moltar

Not specific artists, but genres...

Nu-metal

emo.

Boy bands.

Most hip/hop

Most all country music

hair metal (though I do like Def Leppard and Guns and Roses, who may have fit in that genre back in my youth).

I do try and listen to newer bands and bands I'm not familiar with to try and keep expanding my musical interests, but much of it I can't get into..though I have heard a few tracks by Modest Mouse and My Morning Jacket that I like. I've also gotten into Roger Clyne and Peacemakers, they are popular here in AZ.

i'd just like to note the over compression of lots of music today. the cd is ...~25 years old and we still have not adopted a higher bit rate/fidelity media widespread.

i haven't listened to the new Metallica, but a friend said people are complaining about clipping in tracks or a track... that should not be happening. 10 years ago i bet most high signals were still below "0db" ..the s/n rating of 16bit is ..90-98 or something? we have SACD and DVD audio, yet both are very nitch markets. all we need is something like 24bit 80Khz (make a huge difference), but sadly "most people" don't care or can't hear a difference. when i read about anything to do with SACD's it's always astounding the specs of it... "very high sampling rate of 2.8224 MHz. This is 64 times the sampling rate used in [cds]" wiki ...a dynamic range of 120 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. "Now, with the CD, we have more than 90 db of dynamic range to utilize, and no surface noise or risk of groove skip to worry about. So what has become of all that wonderful dynamic range? The loudness wars have come back. While most classical CDs still make use of the CD's dynamic range potential, once again the fallacious belief that "louder is better" has permeated the record industry." from http://georgegraham.com/compress.html

same thing with autotune program used on lots of people that are making money that really can't carry a tune better than people that can win RB just by hitting the designated note and not actually singing....my friend does that. it's hella annoying, but he feels proud cause he can get 100% on expert on RB2...it's like cheating, no one would pay to hear you just hit notes, so why fake it? society has become very lax with the standards we put up with.

i'd just like to note the over compression of lots of music today. the cd is ...~25 years old and we still have not adopted a higher bit rate/fidelity media widespread.

i haven't listened to the new Metallica, but a friend said people are complaining about clipping in tracks or a track... that should not be happening. 10 years ago i bet most high signals were still below "0db" ..the s/n rating of 16bit is ..90-98 or something? we have SACD and DVD audio, yet both are very nitch markets. all we need is something like 24bit 80Khz (make a huge difference), but sadly "most people" don't care or can't hear a difference. when i read about anything to do with SACD's it's always astounding the specs of it... "very high sampling rate of 2.8224 MHz. This is 64 times the sampling rate used in [cds]" wiki ...a dynamic range of 120 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. "Now, with the CD, we have more than 90 db of dynamic range to utilize, and no surface noise or risk of groove skip to worry about. So what has become of all that wonderful dynamic range? The loudness wars have come back. While most classical CDs still make use of the CD's dynamic range potential, once again the fallacious belief that "louder is better" has permeated the record industry." from http://georgegraham.com/compress.html

same thing with autotune program used on lots of people that are making money that really can't carry a tune better than people that can win RB just by hitting the designated note and not actually singing....my friend does that. it's hella annoying, but he feels proud cause he can get 100% on expert on RB2...it's like cheating, no one would pay to hear you just hit notes, so why fake it? society has become very lax with the standards we put up with.

I read an article a while back in Playback or one of the other on-line home theatre mags... the writer was speculating a lot of the overcompression is related to the rise of MP3s and people getting used to the sound of them. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but by no means an expert, but I have definitely noticed differences in playing MP3s of a track through my home theatre system vs. playing CDs of the same track vs. playing a record (45) of the same track..

While nominally Hillary Duff sucks, i do like some of her songs.

But Miley Cyrus is just terrible, and she like steals song and beats.

Aggh...speaking of the Disney pop tarts, I was channel surfing and caught a video by Demi Lovato..she's a cutie..I actually met her older sister Dallas a few years ago at a restaurant in LA. (I had never heard of Demi then).

I read an article a while back in Playback or one of the other on-line home theatre mags... the writer was speculating a lot of the overcompression is related to the rise of MP3s and people getting used to the sound of them. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but by no means an expert, but I have definitely noticed differences in playing MP3s of a track through my home theatre system vs. playing CDs of the same track vs. playing a record (45) of the same track..

yeah, i'm no audiophile, but i hate stock speakers and radios for the most part. maybe i half spoiled myself with polk db and an older pioneer 7xxx unit. it's not perfect, no, but it's great for what i spent on it.

I'll be really specific:

Billy Joel's "Big Shot" (horrible fu*king song!!!)

Van Halens' "Panama"

1. I never was a big fan

2. It gets overplayed here in Boston a LOT

3. Gran Turismo 2 had it on it's soundtrack :yuck:

I beat that game like a rented mule.... I set up my '69 Camaro Z/28-RS to such

a high degree of near-perfection that I kicked Race-spec. Skyline & Supra TT's

a$es with it, I probably racked up thousand races over the years & that means

like 100 or 120 times I listened to that dumb song.

it got to the point where I'd listen to PF or Metallica o my Cd player while I muted

the game's soundtrack.

----

MOST OF ALL: ANYTHING & EVERYTHING with "Sean Paul" :puke:

Edited by Sixty8panther

I'll be really specific:

Van Halens' "Panama"

1. I never was a big fan

2. It gets overplayed here in Boston a LOT

3. Gran Turismo 2 had it on it's soundtrack :yuck:

[/quote

Auugggh...I heard way too much Van Halen in high school (I was a freshman when '1984' came out) to ever listen to them again...likewise w/ Motley Crue..can't listen to them either anymore...

Nickelback - it's even worse as a Canadian, local content gets played more here)

Mariah Carey - screeeeeeeeech

Pop Rap* - The stuff made specifically for clubs. I like GOOD hip-hop: k-os, The Roots, Mos Def, etc.

Country

Overproduced pop

* If I have to hear "Air" pronounced as "Ayyy-errrr" one more time I'm going to shoot someone.

• 7 months later...

i must say currently i want to drop kick John mayer right in the throat for this disrespectful trash attempt at a remake of free fallin. if i were tom petty i'd be suing the piss out of that tool for slander and libel.

also since sirius merged with XM the ethl station has been replaced by emo and indie rock bands that no one has ever heard of. gone are the days of hours of green day, weezer, sublime, fuel, tonic, nirvana, gorillaz, does it offend you yeah?, the foo, collective soul, you get the idea.

i have to say i like the new weezer songs, seems back to the buddy holly days