Lake Orion GM workers tell McCain ‘thanks, but no thanks’

By Diane Sweet 9/21/08 8:01 PM

Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain started out his day-long Michigan visit last week with a surprise stop at an Oakland County General Motors Corp. plant.

McCain toured GM’s Lake Orion assembly plant that makes Chevy Malibus and Pontiac G6s.

With his wife Cindy McCain by his side, McCain shook hands with plant workers. But he met some opposition.

I doubt the McCain’s will be visiting the GM plant again anytime soon.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WqNmD8TE0...s-but-no-thanks

Article Link: http://michiganmessenger.com/4821/lake-ori...s-but-no-thanks

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Yeeaahh, the 4 people shouting 'obama '08' out of the entire plant really showed McCain up. After all, calling them 'the greatest workers and the backbone & fundamental of America's economy' would make anyone tear their hair out and switch party allegance on the spot. How dare he !

I'm shocked Keith Overbite ("Countdown to No Ratings") didn't title his segment 'Murderous Rampage Narrowly Averted'. :rolleyes: Absolutely in the running for 'Most Non-Story of the Year'.

I couldn't imagine blue collar union workers supporting a Republican. Isn't the Democratic party traditionally heavily supported by the unions, and the Republicans by businessmen (the suits)?

Probably why McCain went to the plant, to try and sway some of the workers.

I don't really like McCain much, but I'm fearful that Obama's plans will mean less small businesses and entrepreneurship, which is certainly not a good thing. The middle class already helps pay for the lower class's needs, and I see those costs rising under Obama, which is not a good thing. People should be encouraged to go to school, learn, and start their own business, and I fear Obama's plans may give more incentive to doing the opposite of that.

Probably why McCain went to the plant, to try and sway some of the workers.

I don't really like McCain much, but I'm fearful that Obama's plans will mean less small businesses and entrepreneurship, which is certainly not a good thing. The middle class already helps pay for the lower class's needs, and I see those costs rising under Obama, which is not a good thing. People should be encouraged to go to school, learn, and start their own business, and I fear Obama's plans may give more incentive to doing the opposite of that.

by the sheer numbers in the tax books, you are quite correct my friend.

Small businesses tend to be owned by those in the brackets that are in increases among taxes in obama, plus the addition of additional payments of social security + some other features, the worst impacted small businesses (assuming you are in the "wrong place in the wrong time") will see their taxes go from like 35 to 50%.

Obama's plan is not really what it seems when its just spelled out for you. Those charts floating around don't represent the full extent of his ideas.

by the sheer numbers in the tax books, you are quite correct my friend.

Small businesses tend to be owned by those in the brackets that are in increases among taxes in obama, plus the addition of additional payments of social security + some other features, the worst impacted small businesses (assuming you are in the "wrong place in the wrong time") will see their taxes go from like 35 to 50%.

Uhm.... this is based on what exactly? The idea that "most" small business owners make over $250,000 a year is laughable at best.

Provide Tax Relief for Small Businesses and Start Ups: Barack Obama believes that we need to reduce burdens on small business owners, many of whom are struggling to succeed as health care and energy costs continue to skyrocket. Barack Obama will support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation. Barack Obama will also eliminate all capital gains taxes on start-up businesses to encourage innovation and job creation.

Uhm.... this is based on what exactly? The idea that "most" small business owners make over $250,000 a year is laughable at best.

What capital gains would a small business have? Unless its a financial investment start-up, i don't see any. $500 is laughable at best, is this a credit for the business or for the worker? even if it was for the business, lets say you had 10 employees, $5000 is not really all that much money for a business (sure it helps a little).

After a little scrummaging amongst census statistics. seen here http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/smallbus.html

I determined that for small businesses (0 to 19 employees) There was an average of roughly 4 employees. Payroll (including benefits, bonuses, sick leave, etc) was on average $121,320 and the average receipts for the year were $614,225.

Of course average #s don't really represent too well when we are talking business (extremes affect the average), but they are good starting place to look at these businesses. The receipts represent NET OF TAXES revenues, which means that those are revenues excluding revenue that was used to pay taxes (local, state, and federal).

So while there may be a good many people who are not in the $250,000 bracket, there certainly are a CONSIDERABLE number that are.

I couldn't imagine blue collar union workers supporting a Republican. Isn't the Democratic party traditionally heavily supported by the unions, and the Republicans by businessmen (the suits)?

When is the last time a Democrat helped out unions? I mean Clinton gave them NAFTA... most blue collars I know are Independents and choose the best candidate based on how they feel. In 04 UAW didn't support either candidates.

That is so funny McCain just smiled. I enjoyed that and it shows how rude some people are. I could remain politcally neutral even if I saw Obama at work. Trust me I would be plenty pissed but give him some respect, and honestly this isn't any suprise. I bet you would be suprised the amount of old-fashioned dems whom will be voting John McCain.

His wife drives a Lexus that is registered to her employer. McCain also has a Honda and a VW. Granted, the Honda was probably made in America.

And from my experience in a Prius, I doubt many owners will be trading into the (more expensive) Volt.

Edited by Satty

His wife drives a Lexus that is registered to her employer. McCain also has a Honda and a VW. Granted, the Honda was probably made in America.

And from my experience in a Prius, I doubt many owners will be trading into the (more expensive) Volt.

He said he always buys American... Hmmmm I found one thing I totally disagree with him on. I am moving on.

I have a friend that actually traded a GMC Jimmy on a Prius..I'll have to ask him if he's go back to GM with the Volt.

crazy as it may seem but every time I am at a Republican rally I there is always some jackasses that try to start $h! from the Democrat side. They like try to invoke things. I like the independents though they just stand there and wave Nader Signs.

Saw two democrats for McCain sings in front of homes today.

They will be real happy about their votes in 2012 when we are 2 trillion (or more) further in debt.

Chris