Chevy Orlando Unceremoniously Revealed Online Ahead of Paris Auto Show

cire

It's a perfectly good people mover that would be a perfectly good HHR replacement that would sell well here in the US and is apparently built on a platform that will be sold in the US, but GM won't sell it here.

I've stopped caring.

I really like the look of this (though the blue lighting wouldn't be legal in the states). I'm sure it's a polarizing style (some will love it, others will hate it), but that's the kind of thing GM needs to do more of (especially in the non-volume brands, but some is fine at Chevy too). Shame we don't get this (or am I confusing myself, and we're getting it, but just not built in the US?)

I thought the news was the Orlando will not be built here. They will probably rename/rebadge it and build it here as something else.

Could it be that the Opel Zafira will become a Saturn Zafira? It will be on DeltaII as well, eventually :scratchchin:

Well from what is heard too it is not coming here.

As for the HHR replacment I have heard from many HHR people who whould give it a consideration. There were a few who liked it but not many.

This would never sell in the numbers the HHR presently sells in.

It would make a better Vibe replacment. At least it would be GM/Daewoo based vs Toyota.

I thought the news was the Orlando will not be built here. They will probably rename/rebadge it and build it here as something else.

Nope.

The news was a confused pile of BS. If someone knows what GM currently plans to do with the Orlando in North America you haven't heard from them yet. We can say for sure the Orlando is the Global Compact Car-based MPV7 Chevrolet—i.e. a 7-seat C/D-segment minivan like the Zafira. While the Zafira remains a Euro-style monospace MPV like the smaller Meriva and the larger Vivaro and Movano, the Orlando is quite appropriately a more American-style minivan with a distinct 2-box profile like the Dodge Caravan, Chevy Uplander and Chevy Express. There is no alternative from Daewoo, there is no plan to call it something else in North America, and it is not a replacement for the HHR.

Thanks for clarifying, griffon. Orlando is a perfectly nice vehicle, but a horrible replacement for HHR (which should remain a 5 seater). I am not sure where it fits in a NA Chevy lineup, I mean it seems awful close to the new Equinox, since that vehicle is rumored to have a 4 cylinder engine standard. Will GMNA proliferate the Chevrolet model lineup to confusing levels as the Asian brands are wont to do? Not sure if that is a good idea.

The new Equinox is more of a Dodge Journey competitor. The Orlando is smaller and more van-like rather than an SUV. It's key competitors are the VW Touran, Corolla Verso, Mazda5, Kia Rondo/Carens, Renault Grand Scenic, Citroen Grand C4 Picasso, Nissan Grand Livina, and Opel Zafira (of which the Orlando is the NG Chevy version). Less direct competitors include larger 5-seat C-MPVs such as the Ford C-Max and Seat Altea XL; 7-seat compact LCVs such as the Renault Kangoo and VW Caddy Life; 7-seat wagons such as the Honda Stream and Peugeot 308 SW; and 7-seat compact crossovers such as the Nissan Qashqai+2 and lwb RAV4. With their cab-forward profile, high roof and lower ride height the vans tend to offer more space than wagons or crossovers of similar size—as much or more than larger 7-seat D-segment crossovers such as the Santa-Fe, Captiva, Outlander and Highlander. Being lighter and smaller however they don't need a V6 for good performance and can offer better fuel economy, at the sacrifice of off-road pretensions. Think of it as a compact version of the Uplander or Express rather than the Traverse. Opel and Chevy sell hundreds of thousands of Zafiras every year, and GM intends to take back some share from the Zafira's later rivals with a distinct Chevy model that may appeal to an audience with the same needs but a different sense of style.

It's a perfectly good people mover that would be a perfectly good HHR replacement that would sell well here in the US and is apparently built on a platform that will be sold in the US, but GM won't sell it here.

I've stopped caring.

If that's the future, Yechhhhhkkkkk... I seen the future and it sucks.

I've kinda stopped caring, as well Oldsmoboi. The big BMW and Mercedes coupes are calling me.

It would make a better Vibe replacment. At least it would be GM/Daewoo based vs Toyota.

I don't know about that. I think the Vibe is miles ahead of that thing.

Speaking of the Vibe, how many more years are GM and Toyota stuck with this whole NUMMI thing?

It seems pretty cool...

Not HHR cool and I could never see myself in one, but cool none the less.

As for NUMMI... My guess is until the plant is closed. (So, forever)

Look at it this way: it's a useful path into GM when Toyota buys them out of bankruptcy and kills all of the remaining divisions.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Wow, even the most delusional GM fanboy would say this is an asinine statement.

Asinine... Nah, I gave her asineight and her facinine.

Asinine? Does that mean brilliant?

(Yes, I am using sarcasm... Much like I was in the statement this quote relates to, just in case anyone else failed to make the connection.)

• 9 months later...
Look in the back with the seats folded and you can see how van-like it is.

GM has some cool video of it too:

World Premiere: Chevrolet Orlando Show Car Signals Entry into New Segment for the Brand

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

It's time that Chevy got back to designing a "family car"

You'll notice that on this one, the second row seats FOLD FLAT! They don't do that on

the Equinox! That is what knocks that vehicle out from any consideration as a "multi-purpose

FAMILY vehicle!"

It's time that someone remember what the features were of that old dirty-word --- a STATION

WAGON!

That's what FAMILIES BUY !!!!

You'll notice that on this one, the second row seats FOLD FLAT! They don't do that on

the Equinox! That is what knocks that vehicle out from any consideration as a "multi-purpose

FAMILY vehicle!"

It's time that someone remember what the features were of that old dirty-word --- a STATION

WAGON!

Chevy has the Traverse as their large family wagon....the Orlando will be their compact wagon, I guess..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 2 weeks later...

FAMILY vehicle!"

WAGON!

My HHR SS back seat folds flat and will hold a 6 foot soap box derby car with no issues or a 9 foot ladder with the front seat folded down. That is nothing new to Chevy.

The key to the Orland will be the price. As it will lose the HHR crowd that account for 100,000 units a year. Chevy will have to compete on price with other similar vehicles.

I could see replacing my wife car with a Nox but I could never replace my HHR with this.

As for 3rd row seating how often do you carry more than 5 people. The third row would be in the way more than a help.

• 1 month later...
My HHR SS back seat folds flat and will hold a 6 foot soap box derby car with no issues or a 9 foot ladder with the front seat folded down. That is nothing new to Chevy.

You are absolutely correct! But there are only 2 vehicles in this class that can do this! The HHR

is one and the other -- is a Dodge Caliber!