Want to buy an Impy SS

don't expect to beat a lotta cars with one.  i've taken more than a few of those in my stock prelude!  that said, they're gorgeous, bad-ass cars and you should get two.  is there anything you wanted to know about them?

[post="37059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In your stock prelude? Damn. I pretty much know the basics about em, but I was wondering if you can fit an LS series motor in there. I dont know if the engine dimensions differ from LTs to LSs, but something like an LS1 would be sweet.

Or an LS7. I can wish. :rolleyes:

There are tons of Net resources on these cars. Here are a couple:
http://www.impalassforum.com
http://www.9c1.net Edit, wrong URL, oops.

Lots of others too. Check 'em out.

Prices have (unfortunately) recently started to drop on the SS's. However, if money is a concern, I'd suggest looking into a 9C1 used law enforcement car. They can be easily made to look like an SS and, usually have all the performance goodies of the 'real' SS cars.

I think one or two have put LS* engines in the b-bodies but it's a TON of work for relatively little payout. LT1's have a lot of potential.

And as to chris's statment. I just have to think those guys didn't know how to drive. My SS is close to stock and does low 15's and high 14's depending on the weather in the quarter mile. They're faster than a four thousand pound sedan should be. :) Heck my wagons weigh in around 5K pounds and are still relatively quick.

Good luck on your search!
Mike Edited by DBeaSSt

stick with the LT1, it sounds better anyhow. yeah, i'll concede the possibility that i was driving better than them. but a lotta times it wasn't even close, the only time it was there was a lot of loud exhaust involved. (in contrast, LT1 camaro's usually beat me.)

I agree, stick with the LT1. They have a huge upside, and the aftermarket for them is just tremendous. You could probably coax 400hp out of it with just some basic bolt-ons.

If you get an LT1 consider Edelbrock for heads intakes and a big ol' Carb. Also get some nice exhaust. Or if you want to do some frame work and not have A/C get a zz572ci For one reason, out of the box with either 620 or 720 horsepower on pump gas. Thats not even supercharged! O Chris I beat a new mustang and a twin turboed civic in my 90 caprice with the stock 305 not even the 350. so........... Also they have a smooth ride even tho the SS has stiff Suspension its better than a modern Caddy.

If you get an LT1 consider Edelbrock for heads intakes and a big ol' Carb. Also get some nice exhaust.

Or if you want to do some frame work and not have A/C get a zz572ci For one reason, out of the box with either 620 or 720 horsepower on pump gas. Thats not even supercharged!

O Chris I beat a new mustang and a twin turboed civic in my 90 caprice with the stock 305 not even the 350. so...........

Also they have a smooth ride even tho the SS has stiff Suspension its better than a modern Caddy.

[post="37158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yeah, the stock suspension is pretty weak handling-wise. it's nice for on the road, i guess.

are you sure the mustang and civic even acknowledged you were racing? and that the civic had two turbochargers instead of one, or zero?

My brother has his fair share of B-Bodies in his garage. His Roadmaster wagon would run 15 flat with very few bolt ons; cai, exhaust, and computer programming. He now has a converter and gears, so mid 14s are within reach. His SS on the other hand just got heads and cam a month ago along with all his other bolt-ons. It should go deep in the 13s.

yeah, the stock suspension is pretty weak handling-wise.  it's nice for on the road, i guess.

are you sure the mustang and civic even acknowledged you were racing?  and that the civic had two turbochargers instead of one, or zero?

[post="37159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol:

Yeah before we raced i said pop the hood there was two turbos not intercooled tho under there. It was very close but and the judge said I won!

The Mustang (driver of the Mustang) looked at me and said how is that POS still on the road.
(It had primer and fiberglass on it, because i was going to get an estimate from MACCO) So when the light turned green I punched it then i heard the mustang's go to it's passing gear, it was stressing to keep up with me and yes it was a GT. At the next light he didn't even want to look at me. But i had to Say "Hey Pussy, what you cant shift gears by yourself" Next light same senerio i went up to 60 and he had that car working to catch up to me. Even funnier he got pulled over and i didn't. :P So yes Cops profile newer cars. He would have me in a quater mile tho.

Also if you get a mustang GT at least get a stick because i beat the auto with a 15 year old lux. car.

Also the impala SS suspenison is for hi speed handling so you will feel more of the bumps and cracks than a regular Impala from the time. The Handling is very good! For the weight power ratio.

EDIT: A trick with these cars is kepping it int he first gear if it switches to 2nd you are screwed. so it involes toying with throttle to get your auto trans to do what you want it to do.

O yeah only mods in my car is nice tires K&N filter and no cat. Edited by capriceman

Most V8's, not just LT1's have most torque in the low to mid range. That's why they pull away from so many cars. Nice thing is with a four speed trans, or better yet a six speed they pull forever. With their gear ratios it takes a loooong time to get them to the higher rpm bands. I've not had issues with the suspension in the SS until you get him around 90. But there are tons of aftermarket parts to tweak the suspensions to whatever your pleasure. It's amazing and hard to believe but with the right suspension mods, and I'm not talking exotic, these monsters are great on the roadcourse and autocross. Oh, and chris, you mentioned loud exhaust? Opening up the exhausts on these cars is considered a basic and huge payoff mod. Probably the difference between the car's you've been up against. Unfortunately, mine is still stock. :( Getting a little off topic... :)

What's there to think about. Do it. :)

yeah holding the gear for a little longer than the auto trans wants is right, but don't go too high.  LT1's only dream of having high-end torque.

what are you talking about when you say regular impalas?  there were no regular impalas during that time.

[post="37187"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Opps i forgot about that. they only made the SS. Im thinking of like the Caprice how they had the regular then they had the LTZ or 350 the LTZ had stiffer suspension than the base model.

I have seen people convert a LTZ Caprice into a Impala SS it would be cheaper. then go junkyard hopping for emblems and a front and rear bumbers and stuff or get aftermarket ones.

Opps i forgot about that. they only made the SS. Im thinking of like the Caprice how they had the regular then they had the LTZ or 350 the LTZ had stiffer suspension than the base model.

I have seen people convert a LTZ Caprice into a Impala SS it would be cheaper. then go junkyard hopping for emblems and a front and rear bumbers and stuff or get aftermarket ones.

[post="37275"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

which country is this? there was no LTZ b-body caprice either, as far as i'm aware!

there were LT1 caprices, but they didn't have an "LTZ" trim level, or at least not the ones i saw. plus you have to deal with the door trim and getting that right, along with the tail lights, the rear quarter window inserts for 94's and 95's, the gauge cluster, the headlights, i'm sure there's more...

any event, don't walk run! impala ss's are awesome looking cars. Edited by chris

Sweet response guys, thanks alot! This is leading to my next question, is there really a big aftermarket for the LT1? I mean damn compared to the LS1 aftermarket it doesnt seem like a drop in the bucket! Maybe I just havent been looking in the right places. What basic addon parts would you all suggest? Nothing too expensive, but I bet that LT4 conversion kit would be sweet.

lol a stock 305 caprice took a new mustang GT?  :lol:

my I5 can take an old caprice.

maybe the guy just couldnt drive.

[post="37321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the guy had it hammered! just autos suck!

which country is this?  there was no LTZ b-body caprice either, as far as i'm aware!

there were LT1 caprices, but they didn't have an "LTZ" trim level, or at least not the ones i saw.  plus you have to deal with the door trim and getting that right, along with the tail lights, the rear quarter window inserts for 94's and 95's, the gauge cluster, the headlights, i'm sure there's more...

any event, don't walk run!  impala ss's are awesome looking cars.

[post="37276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes there was. I think they started making them after a couple years of production. It was a more sport oriented package.

If you get an LT1 consider Edelbrock for heads intakes and a big ol' Carb. Also get some nice exhaust.

Or if you want to do some frame work and not have A/C get a zz572ci For one reason, out of the box with either 620 or 720 horsepower on pump gas. Thats not even supercharged!

O Chris I beat a new mustang and a twin turboed civic in my 90 caprice with the stock 305 not even the 350. so...........

Also they have a smooth ride even tho the SS has stiff Suspension its better than a modern Caddy.

[post="37158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A TWIN-TURBO Civic? Right :rolleyes:

Besides the fact that twin-turbos on a 4 cylinder are pretty much pointless and almost never done, your 305 Caprice could not best a stock late-model Civic Si in the 1/4 mile, let alone something with a couple turbos attached. Anyone willing to blow that much money and effort on a twin-turbo system surely has an extremely fast car.

I'm guessing you were mistaken when you looked under the hood. Either that or the Civic had some SERIOUS tuning problems.

Sweet response guys, thanks alot!

This is leading to my next question, is there really a big aftermarket for the LT1? I mean damn compared to the LS1 aftermarket it doesnt seem like a drop in the bucket! Maybe I just havent been looking in the right places.

What basic addon parts would you all suggest? Nothing too expensive, but I bet that LT4 conversion kit would be sweet.

[post="37327"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're right, compared to the LS* engines the aftermarket for the LT1 is small. But think about it, the LT1 was only made for four years (94-97?) and was really a transitional engine until the LS1 came out.

That said, there are plenty of aftermarket parts for the LT1's. The LT4 conversion is a popular one as well.

Find some who have done the LS1 swap, there aren't many for a reason. The payoff is just not worth it considering what you can do with the LT1 for the same money.

RBB: Thanks for making me throw up in my mouth. That poor Caprice Mutant beast needs to be saved from a life of riding around on those' Twen-tee-fo's. Hidous.

RBB:

Thanks for making me throw up in my mouth. That poor Caprice Mutant beast needs to be saved from a life of riding around on those' Twen-tee-fo's. Hidous.

[post="37625"][/post]

:lol: Knew you'd like that. Have a couple more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

-RBB Edited by RBB