Anyone want to buy a Malamute?

I had Arkus out running around the place a while back, and he disappeared from view just long enough for me to know that it meant trouble (with Arkus that's about a minute or so).

So I start calling him.

He still doesn't show up.

Just as I'm about to jump in the Silverado to hunt him down, he rounds the bend from behind the barn.

Carrying a fox in his mouth.

I yell at him and he drops the fox, and crawls over to me (realizing that he's screwed-up again).

So I grab a hold of of him thinking that I'll need to put a wounded fox out of its misery.

When I looked up, the fox was running away (looking pretty pissed-off).

I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking I'd gotten off easy.

A few weeks went by and Arkus started scratching alot and barking in his crate at night. So I gave him the once-over and discovered that he was losing fur on his ears at an alarming rate.

It hit me then that the fox had left something behind: mange!

Thanks to that, I had to take both dogs to the vet (separate trips) to get them treated because mange tends to be very contagious.

So, $300.00 dollars later, both dogs have been treated and Arkus is improving.

But he has decided that he likes to bark at night to get my attention. :rolleyes:

I should have named him "Murphy", because if there is anything around that could get him in trouble, he goes directly for it.

I'll pass. My dog-related expenses don't really need to go any higher. Though it might be nice to bring him to work and perform some "population control" on the geese that leave droppings everywhere.

LOL.

He is a mess!!!

It's always fun having the "good dog/bad dog" thing around the house.

We have a Jack Russell Dachshund mix... EXCELLENT, smart, well behaved dog. Couldn't ASK for a better low maintenance dog! But we recently adopted a Chihuahua Dachshund mix and she is the devil incarnate. The JR/D mix will often look at her like "you freakin' idiot" when she's doing something wrong and not listening to a word I say.

Look at it this way, at least Arkus keeps life interesting. :D

Oh boy. Good luck Camino.

I'm in no way shape or form able to take care of a dog these days.

My schedule alone makes it impossible, never mind my minimalist

back yard at this new house.

I have a Husky, so I don't need any more hair in the apartment - but thanks for asking! He caught many squirrels in his day, but at 12 1/2, his hunting days are over. He even went after a porcupine a few years back - that was a $200 trip to the vet.

Thankfully Kelly doesn't do things like that, but she does feel it's her mission in life to bark and chase anything off the property, whether it be a rabbit, squirrel, possum, a leaf that blew in front of her (yeah, she got really pissed at a few leaves the first Fall she experienced when she was a puppy). The worst thing she did was play with a baby rabbit and get our attention to kinda say, "Hey, look what I have!" The baby rabbit fortunately hopped away when we got Kelly's attention.

The funny thing is, whenever Max did something wrong, like kill a bird, rabbit, whatever, Kelly would tattle on him by getting us and showing us. It was kinda funny.

LOL.

He is a mess!!!

It's always fun having the "good dog/bad dog" thing around the house.

We have a Jack Russell Dachshund mix... EXCELLENT, smart, well behaved dog. Couldn't ASK for a better low maintenance dog! But we recently adopted a Chihuahua Dachshund mix and she is the devil incarnate. The JR/D mix will often look at her like "you freakin' idiot" when she's doing something wrong and not listening to a word I say.

Look at it this way, at least Arkus keeps life interesting. :D

Oh yeah, it's interesting. And yes, he's a mess.

But I was just joking about selling him off. Even with all of the hassles, both dogs are mine to a degree that our situation is permanent. As long as they live, they will live with me.

Ocn: Most Malamutes are very quiet - Arkus is an exception (lucky me).

How are they getting along? Do they still pick fights with each other like they were doing a while back?

How are they getting along? Do they still pick fights with each other like they were doing a while back?

It seems to be a permanent reality. I have to keep them apart at all times with no slip ups - or there will be blood. That's why Arkus lives in his crate unless one of them is outside.

It's a royal pain, but I've gotten used to it. And Arkus sees the crate as his bed - so it works.

They are beautiful dogs but bigger and harder to handle than what I would like. They're classified as working dogs, right? I have only had 1 dog, an Australian Shepherd, that was in the 40 lb. range. I love that breed of dog and would get one again in a heartbeat if I had more time on my hands and was less selfish (read: stayed at home more).

Right now, it looks like I've been adopted by a cat that may have been abandoned. Again, I don't know what to do because it's sort of the neighborhood's cat and I don't want the vet bills. For the last week, I have come home from work and it waits for me (yes, I have fed it). However, this docile purring cat sprawled out on my living room floor seems to lower my blood pressure a notch.

Odd, cats have the opposite effect on me

me too especially when i catch a glimpse of them on my vehicle... acute lead poisoning used to run rampant... that and foot in catbutt disease. thats why i prefer a dog, they dont think that a newly returned vehicle = warm place to sleep

me too especially when i catch a glimpse of them on my vehicle... acute lead poisoning used to run rampant... that and foot in catbutt disease. thats why i prefer a dog, they dont think that a newly returned vehicle = warm place to sleep

True, but unless they're well behaved or caged, they'll sure as hell have fun putting "the number 11" down your driver door while waiting for you to get out of the car.