I'm sick of the negaivity.

There's so much negativity everywhere (and as Camino said, panic)

So here goes, this thread will be a 100% positive ZONE.

No bitching (myself included) no whining, no arguing, just clean,

good, constructive input about whatever positive things you

want to discuss. 3, 2, 1 - GO.

1.) Sometime between right now Halloween I will be a dad for the second time. :pbjtime:

Amelia is due Nov. 7th but according to doctors will almost def. be early.

She's so active, kicking and rolling around in Julie's stomach that you

can see her sweater/t-shirt moving around when she's sitting down.

I',m super excited but also nervous. What a year to bring another baby

into the world... troubling times indeed. but like I said, no negativity,

besides, the experience of seeing you own child brought into the world

is so awesome and mind blowing any silly negative thoughts melt like an

ice cube on the sidewalk in Las Vegas... in June.

2.) Despite my complaints on the lack of a hardtop, the 5th gen. Camaro

will be a stellar product and perhaps, if my economic situation allows for

it I will buy one. It would be a vote with my money to keep alive the GM

I know and love, the true GM that makes product that excites and

engages true automotive enthusiasts, not the wannabe guys who buy a

new Corolla S and then spend $1800 on new rims to "stand out" but the

guys/gals who understand ad know performance, the fun o driving etc.

Viva La Camaro! :unitedstates: (& the V8 and RWD!)

3.) I saw a 1978-81 Oldsmobile Cutlass hatchback today...

http://www.adclassix.com/images/79oldscutlassalon.jpg

It was clean, straight, painted white, looked pretty cool driving down rt.97

in Haverhill, I thought to myself NOW THAT would be a great high-MPG car

for my discerning BOF/RWD/V8 (or at least V6) tastes. The awesome

versatility of the hatchback would make it a fantastic Roadmonster

replacement.

4. The Audi A5/S5 is really growing on me, while the Camaro blows it away

in every category, esp. price and styling, it's a cool muscular coupe. My

favorite aspect of the car however was something I noticed today, those

awesome hockey-stick shaped LED strips that act s running lights, er DRLs.

Very nice touch, upscale, sophisticated and futuristic.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new Cobalt has averaged 29.6 mpg at an average speed of 26 mph so far, nearly double my old Sierra. I have about 400 miles on it. I am pleased.

Hey Sly, you know those fastback '78 and '79 Cutlasses and Centurys weren't hatchbacks, right? They had conventional trunks, but they're still cool. I'd love to one day build a Century Turbo Coupe with a hopped-up turbo 3.8.

*6ty-eight doing his best not to look like an ignorant jack-hole*

errrr.... Go 1980s GM. 'Nother wasted opportunity.

I always assumed they were hatchbacks. :huh:

Plan on graduating with an Industrial tech degree in May.

find a good job not out of the mid west and beable to buy a camaro too.

buying a new PC as a (maybe early) graduation present, so maybe i could play things like COD4...? and diablo 3 when it come out.

wanting to secure some of my wealth...maybe buy a "safe" drawer (~$80 on-line walmart) and start buying some (rolls of 20?) silver dollars every year.

edit: 68, a friend and his wife, Julie, are expecting in the 1st 1/2 of nov, too, i think

Edited by loki

Instead of firing up the furnace (house was 63 this morning), I'm firing up the wood stove tonight. Also scored a night's worth of wood on the way home from work (green: for next year). Hoping to really offset the (gas) furnace this year with wood power... but it's getting like gold around here and I refuse to pay for it. I might have enough on hand for this winter, might not- gotta keep my eyes peeled. Helps when you drive a truck every day tho- plenty of room for circa 8-foot logs.

Got a free lunch & a $50 tip at work today- that's 7/10ths of a tank of diesel- I'll take it.

That's about as best as I can do these days.

1.) Sometime between right now Halloween I will be a dad for the second time. :pbjtime:

I',m super excited but also nervous. What a year to bring another baby

into the world... troubling times indeed. but like I said, no negativity,

besides, the experience of seeing you own child brought into the world

is so awesome and mind blowing any silly negative thoughts melt like an

ice cube on the sidewalk in Las Vegas... in June.

Congratulations to you and Julie! :congrats:

Go Loki and Balth. Great examples of using your head. :breakdance:

I am going to use a fireplace to lower my heating bill

this winter also, it was a great feature of this house

that I planned on utilizing.

Some positive things in my life currently---

1. Enjoying my new job, 3 weeks in...it's pretty low stress, the client is pretty laid back and not in a rush to get the system up and running... first time I've had a government organization as a client. 2008 has been turbulent--I finished a 9-month contract in Denver in March, moved to Phoenix in April and joined a startup (pay cut), grew to strongly dislike the company and the weather over the summer...was laid off at the end on July. Started a new contract in Sept, with a much shorter commute (about 12 miles/day instead of 40) and more money (about $25/hr more).

2. Cooler fall weather... after 4+ months of 100-115 degree highs, the highs are down in the 80s-90s now...cool and comfortable. Going to celebrate fall by taking a little road trip up into the mountains tomorrow.

3. I'll be back in Colorado for the first time since May in two weeks, going back for a good friend's wedding, and going to see a bunch of friends I haven't seen since May. Should be a relaxing weekend.

Edited by moltar

Some positive things in my life currently---

1. Enjoying my new job, 3 weeks in...it's pretty low stress, the client is pretty laid back and not in a rush to get the system up and running... first time I've had a government organization as a client.

lol. My boss's brother worked as a cartographer kinda... now works the store 1 day a week usually. my boss has said several times, don't let an old gov employee corrupt my work ethic. hehe :D

Hhaahaah-ha!

Thanks dude. Wish I hd the $/time. That's a t1ght wh!p fo' sho' :cheers:

Amelia is due Nov. 7th

Cool!

My sister is due with their first (a boy) around that same timeframe!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope" ... Alabama ... 'Angels Among Us'

looked at the astra xr AGAIN today w/ wife this time and might finally have buy off from the wife, including the manual trans. plus, GM Cd sent me a thing saying they are giving another 500 bonus cash to me. the planets may be aligning.........hows that 4 positive. (which would offset last weeks dour mood at work with layoffs pending)

Cobalt SS wins R/T best sport compact comparo (go to see thread) that's positive!

Yup. posted on that thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Astra rental in Slovakia/Austria back in 2001.

My biggest turn-off to Opel is a certain member 'round here.

Well, per the Jetta, after tearing its interior all apart and completely disassembling the sunroof, I didn't get it fixed. However, I did get it closed which is better than nothing with winter quickly coming around. Then, I got the remote and original keys I bought off of ebay, so I no longer have to use my key to work my alarm and no longer have to use a plain key in doing so. For $30 and getting a remote and two keys, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. As well, I finally got it inspected and had it pass without needing anything. Hopefully, the next thing in the line of good news for the Jetta is new, badly needed, speakers.

As far as I go, my only real line of good news is passing the GED test and recieving my diploma. Everything else should be left out of this thread. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Just got another one to add...

I finally changed the knock sensor on the Maxima. Power is back; fuel economy will be observed over the course of a few days. And it didn't cost me nearly the $800 that the shop was quoting me. ^_^

Are we positive enough yet, Sly?

O.B. & ZL-1:

Thank You for the kind thoughts.

Julie and I both agreed on Amelia

because it's both unique & classic.

Just got another one to add...

I finally changed the knock sensor on the Maxima. Power is back; fuel economy will be observed over the course of a few days. And it didn't cost me nearly the $800 that the shop was quoting me. ^_^

Are we positive enough yet, Sly?

Sure, sounds good to me. :)

BTW: knock sensor in my ex's Infiniti Q45's V8 set me

back bout $90 IIRC, but I did the installation myself.

BTW: knock sensor in my ex's Infiniti Q45's V8 set me

back bout $90 IIRC, but I did the installation myself.

That sounds pretty close. I got the KS off of eBay for about $50... got an OBD-II scanner for maybe $35-40... had to then buy the right ratchet extension (because the evil Nissan designers put the KS in the V of the engine ) for about $9...

... still better than $300 :o for the part and $400something for labor. The shop was going to gouge me on the part plus 4 hours for labor which included removing the intake manifold.

That is a VERY good date to be due on! :thumbsup::booyah:

That sounds pretty close. I got the KS off of eBay for about $50... got an OBD-II scanner for maybe $35-40... had to then buy the right ratchet extension (because the evil Nissan designers put the KS in the V of the engine ) for about $9...

I ordered myself an OBD-II scanner from Amazon yesterday..the check engine light came on yesterday on my Jeep..it seemed to be driving fine, but spooked me..so I've parked it until I get the scanner...driving my sister's old 500SEL today..

The "Check Engine" light only involves emissions control parts on a vehicle. There is no immediate danger to your vehicle if the light is on. A flashing CEL is something different, but the light is NOT hooked up to any internal mechanical workings of the engine.

The "Check Engine" light only involves emissions control parts on a vehicle. There is no immediate danger to your vehicle if the light is on. A flashing CEL is something different, but the light is NOT hooked up to any internal mechanical workings of the engine.

Yeah, I stopped at a restaurant in Cottonwood, AZ and read the manual entry on the light..I had never seen the check engine light come on before, so it kind of spooked me. I checked the coolant, oil, transmission fluid, PS fluid, etc. Nothing smelled wierd and all the gauges were showing normal.

I did some research online last night about it, read up on the generic and Chrysler-specific codes...Yesterday was a mix of freeway and winding road driving with a lot of elevation changes from about 1300 to 7500 ft... I always worry about the transmission, what with the GC's reputation for eating transmissions, but I just had it serviced recently. I've driven it in the mountains in Colorado for years w/ no problems. I figure an OBD-II reader will be worthwhile to have.

I'll make a brief list:

• I have a new girlfriend and we actually have 90 percent of everything in common and that's obviously a much better place for things to begin, especially when I think about my last relationship where I had maybe 15 percent of everything in common with my ex.
  • I now own a classic car and, if I can get another job, there's a decent probability that I'll not only own just one classic, but two.
I think it will only get better from here too.

EDIT: What the hell is up with my grammar tonight, huh? :ph34r:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Good stuff. :pbjtime:

As far as the name Amelia both Julie and I love it, there were

about two dozen in the running at one point, and every single

one had an objection from at least one relative or close friend.

So in the end, we decided to go with OUR favorite, after all,

you can please some of the people SOME of the time, but

never everyone all the time. :duck:

Good stuff. :pbjtime:

As far as the name Amelia both Julie and I love it, there were

about two dozen in the running at one point, and every single

one had an objection from at least one relative or close friend.

So in the end, we decided to go with OUR favorite, after all,

you can please some of the people SOME of the time, but

never everyone all the time. :duck:

It's a great name...also, you probably know there is a neat classic car connection also--Amelia Island, Florida is well-known for it's Concours d' Elegance...

It's a great name...also, you probably know there is a neat classic car connection also--Amelia Island, Florida is well-known for it's Concours d' Elegance...

Hot diggaty! I thought all along that the connection to

the Aviator was an interesting one, I had not thought

beyond that, sounds like I a few years from now there

will be a roadtrip to the sunshine state.

Balthy: I wish I had access to 500 members in my family tree...my relatives in Slovakia prob. do.

O.B. Thanks.

Best wishes for you, your wife and for Amelia. Interesting choice of name... I have an aunt named Amelia.

Is she the famous fado singer?

Nice name...I, too, think of Amelia Island in Florida.

4. The Audi A5/S5 is really growing on me, while the Camaro blows it away

in every category, esp. price and styling, it's a cool muscular coupe. My

favorite aspect of the car however was something I noticed today, those

awesome hockey-stick shaped LED strips that act s running lights, er DRLs.

Very nice touch, upscale, sophisticated and futuristic.

We had one of those V8 Audi's show up at our last Autocross, and the owner had more money than sense and let us pretty much beat on it all day without mercy.

A very impressive car! Amazing what stability control will do when you try to drift it sideways at 55 MPH!

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

My new Cobalt has averaged 29.6 mpg at an average speed of 26 mph so far, nearly double my old Sierra. I have about 400 miles on it. I am pleased.

You'll be real happy with that 'balt. The interior quality on the car is impressive. Seems like the last several I've seen have had a MUCH higher build quality. Also, the center stack design in the car is really growing on me.

Good luck with the new car.

Chris

Instead of firing up the furnace (house was 63 this morning), I'm firing up the wood stove tonight. Also scored a night's worth of wood on the way home from work (green: for next year). Hoping to really offset the (gas) furnace this year with wood power... but it's getting like gold around here and I refuse to pay for it. I might have enough on hand for this winter, might not- gotta keep my eyes peeled. Helps when you drive a truck every day tho- plenty of room for circa 8-foot logs.

Got a free lunch & a $50 tip at work today- that's 7/10ths of a tank of diesel- I'll take it.

That's about as best as I can do these days.

Sweet!

I just love the smell of burning wood.

Chris

My baby boy just turned 4 months..a lot of work, but quite a bit of fun too.....

68, I hear you on the rough year to have a kid-it is quite tough.

I wish you and Juile the best on your soon-to-be-here little one.... 8)

Just wait until your boy is older and loves cars! We had a 400 HP Lotus Caterham 7 also show up at our last Autocross and my son Joel and I were both able to snag rides when we were not racing.

That thing is Insane!

But seriously, my younger son is into scouting and we are going on two camping trips with the scouts this month, and we may do a road rally (TSD) or another Autocross with my older son.

Being the dad to a boy is the BEST thing that can happen to a guy.

Chris

I'm just having fun working on my Jensen Interceptor......

Congrats on the upcoming kidlet!

:sign0200:

Keep us posted with pics, I love that car and am enjoying hearing about it.

Chris

Well, per the Jetta, after tearing its interior all apart and completely disassembling the sunroof, I didn't get it fixed. However, I did get it closed which is better than nothing with winter quickly coming around. Then, I got the remote and original keys I bought off of ebay, so I no longer have to use my key to work my alarm and no longer have to use a plain key in doing so. For $30 and getting a remote and two keys, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. As well, I finally got it inspected and had it pass without needing anything. Hopefully, the next thing in the line of good news for the Jetta is new, badly needed, speakers.

As far as I go, my only real line of good news is passing the GED test and recieving my diploma. Everything else should be left out of this thread. :P

I know a couple of guys with a real knowledge of VW's, if you need tech help let me know.

How is the Jetta doing otherwise? It is an automatic, yes?

Chris

I know a couple of guys with a real knowledge of VW's, if you need tech help let me know.

How is the Jetta doing otherwise? It is an automatic, yes?

Chris

Well, there's not much to be done about the sunroof thats cheaper or simpler than buying a whole new one.

Otherwise, it's doing good, and yes, it's an auto. Could certainly use a transmission fluid change as it likes to shift hard at times, but that could be a result of the shift programming as well. For example, it will not shift into 4th until I am over 40 mph. Never fails. If I knew of a way to reprogram the shift points, I'd be golden. That, plus a fifth ratio. Those two are all that's really holding this car back from getting 30+ mpg. I suppose I could always swap in a 5spd if I acquired the time and money to do so... :P

My son is turning 1 on November 6th. Congrats 6T-8 on your soon-to-be arrival. I was considering that name for a girl if that's what we were going to have at the time.

Being the dad to a boy is the BEST thing that can happen to a guy.

That is so true. My son has the hugest smile on his face when I come home from work. This past summer, he's been loving the walks we take together, the time I spend playing with him, throwing him in the air, etc. I also find it cute when he comes to wake me up in the morning so that I can play with him.

Can't wait till he's older and I can teach him the things I've learned, but at the same time, I hope that time slows down because I'm certainly going to miss when he's this small. It's been the best time of my life.

That is so true. My son has the hugest smile on his face when I come home from work. This past summer, he's been loving the walks we take together, the time I spend playing with him, throwing him in the air, etc. I also find it cute when he comes to wake me up in the morning so that I can play with him.

Can't wait till he's older and I can teach him the things I've learned, but at the same time, I hope that time slows down because I'm certainly going to miss when he's this small. It's been the best time of my life.

My son is the same way. I pulled up to his daycare today and he was standing by the door, I was him light up when he saw my car. He started climbing all over me the second I walked in. Kids are so cool, congrats on adding another one to the stable 68, I hope everything with the pregnancy and delivery go well and you have a happy, healthy baby girl to show off and lord over childless couples. Not that I condone insulting the infertile.