Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I'm sick of the negaivity.

While we are talking about poop (I'd use the "S" word but I am trying to swear off swearing)...let's talk about...good news from Toyota.

Went on a Scouting trip/campout with my son Daniel this weekend, and one of the other dads has spent 23 years as the manager of a local Toyota dealers bodyshop. He said they are still jammed solid with Tacomas being sent to be crushed, and that they are sending them away 35-40 at a time to the scrapyard on car carriers.

Almost every single truck they look at has fram issues. Here ih Ohio, the "rustbelt" go figure, eh? He said that they are crushing trucks with less than 20,000 miles on them!

This is very bad for Toyota and very good perhaps for GM.

Chris

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I am thankful for.

My recent raise at UPS. Been there 14 months now. It's like a part

of who I am now. I love rewarding work, when my 5+ hour shift is

over & those four trucks (that I loaded) pull out of the building

at 9:00 am I can honestly say I have positively contributed to

society. With the right amount of caffeine, and a good work ethic it

can be one of the best jobs you'll ever have. Back-breaking? Yes.

Frustrating? Yes. Stressful? Yes. But there's something awesome

about work like that... you'll never have more respect for a

co-worker than when they work side by side with you, putting

every single ounce of energy into their job... loading boxes onto

the big brown trucks as if they were they were bombs going being

loaded into the belly of a B-17 in 1943.

I've made some amazing friends at UPS, the quality of the average

UPS pre-loader tends to be very high in terms of character & work

ethic, & the friendships you establish there are rooted in something

the average outsider will never understand.

I may not know everything there is to know about a few of the guys

(and women, to be fair) who I work with, but our friendship & the

level of respect we have for each other is MUCH stronger than at a

typical white-collar job where you never really get to truly KNOW

most of the people you work side by side with.

----

Also, I m thankful for my families' health, being able to drive a V8

and have my wife drive a V8, go out to eat from time to time, Lindt

Milk Chocolate, Hazelnuts; esp. as combined with Lindt Chocolate &

gourmet coffee, Raspberries; esp. as combined with Snapple Iced

Tea & Lindt Chocolate, Dr.Pepper, Rob Zombie's kick ass music,

and... oh-yeah! Sour Skittles.

More later.

I love working hard physically. It keeps you in shape and builds a sense of friendship, as you have written.

And V-8's rock! My son Joel and I looked at a GTO the other day. It was an LS2 car, bright red, leather, about $15,000, and IIRC it had like 23,000 miles. Just superb shape. Good thing it was an automatic and not a six speed car or I'd have had another car in the driveway.

Looking forward to the new Camaro.

Chris :iroc-dragster:

I thought your little thread here was not supposed to be negative. I know English is not your 1st language, perhaps you should look up the meaning of negative in an English dictionary. :smilewide:

((Enter Sarcasm mode))

Sixty-Eight is a closet liberal. The idea of drivbing a rainbow butterfly powered Camry IS positive.

((Exit Sarcasm mode))

Seriously, I am very sorry about how divided our nation seems to be becoming in a political sense. I have very good friends that are arch conservative, and very good friends that are very liberal. Both sides are worried about...the war, the debt/deficit/ jobs going overseas, the environment, terrorism, too much government in our lives, education for our kids, health care, etc.

The good news is that as AMERICANS (we'll include the Cannuks too :CanadaEmoticon:) we share a whole lot more common values than we realize.

Chris

Visited my parents before work today and got my first (albeit short) ride in my father's freshly restored 1937 Packard Super Eight, and my mom gave me a 1926 buffalo nickel she got back in change from a vending machine at her work.

There is just something very special, almost sacred about a pre-WW-II car that is restored stock. One of the grandfathers of one of the boys in my son's scouting group has a 1940 Plymouth 2 door that he just did a beutiful, wonderful restoration of. And he resisted the temptation to red it!

I love old packards, BTW. Some of the coolest pre-war cars made, FWIW.

Chris :iroc-dragster::convertible:

Seriously, I am very sorry about how divided our nation seems to be becoming in a political sense. I have very good friends that are arch conservative, and very good friends that are very liberal. Both sides are worried about...the war, the debt/deficit/ jobs going overseas, the environment, terrorism, too much government in our lives, education for our kids, health care, etc.

The good news is that as AMERICANS (we'll include the Cannuks too :CanadaEmoticon:) we share a whole lot more common values than we realize.

Chris

I can relate...I have very good friends that are conservative, very good friends that are liberal. My own family is divided--my mom and brother are hard-core conservative (without the religious angle, though, which is odd--no one in my immediate family are very religious) and Republican and my sister and I are liberals and Democrats. My late father was more middle of the road and pragmatic.

Some times it's very hard to find common ground.

There is just something very special, almost sacred about a pre-WW-II car that is restored stock. One of the grandfathers of one of the boys in my son's scouting group has a 1940 Plymouth 2 door that he just did a beutiful, wonderful restoration of. And he resisted the temptation to red it!

I love old packards, BTW. Some of the coolest pre-war cars made, FWIW.

Chris :iroc-dragster::convertible:

I have a Packard connection in my family...my dad's first car was a silver 1939 Packard 120 coupe that he got from his dad after coming back from WWII...it's the car he drove frequently from Baltimore to E. Kentucky to visit my mom when they were dating, the car they drove on their honeymoon to Miami...they replaced it with their first new car, a 49 Ford Fordor about the time my older brother was born (21 years before I was born).

I've seen a couple grainy B&W photos of it. Looked like a neat car.

I just wish people would talk to each other. Steve, one of the scout leaders on our weekend campout, was just ranting about greenpeace and the liberals.

I asked him "what do they want to do?"

He replied "they want to protect the environment"

I asked him "Isn't that what Scouting is all about, respect and respecting and protecting nature?" It made him think, and we had a good little chat after that.

Sometimes finding a creative question is the best way to start dialouge.

Chris

I have a Packard connection in my family...my dad's first car was a silver 1939 Packard 120 coupe that he got from his dad after coming back from WWII...it's the car he drove frequently from Baltimore to E. Kentucky to visit my mom when they were dating, the car they drove on their honeymoon to Miami...they replaced it with their first new car, a 49 Ford Fordor about the time my older brother was born (21 years before I was born).

I've seen a couple grainy B&W photos of it. Looked like a neat car.

The 120 Coupe was actually one of the coolest cars they built. I love smaller cars, and as far as Packards go, if I could onw one, this just might be the one. When I had my 55 Chevy, one of the local classic car dealers had a nice 120, and the 55 almost got traded in...

Chris

And his 'philosophies' are deader'n he is.

Witness Western Civilization with it's collective hair afire.

Let me clarify, As a European/American, I am a Reagan Democrat for one major reason, his policies brought down the Iron Curtain and freed East Germany and the rest of Eastern Europe. For that alone I admire the man.

Let me clarify, As a European/American, I am a Reagan Democrat for one major reason, his policies brought down the Iron Curtain and freed East Germany and the rest of Eastern Europe. For that alone I admire the man.

...as I said, so that they too could participate in the death of capitalism, comrade.

Instead of firing up the furnace (house was 63 this morning), I'm firing up the wood stove tonight. Also scored a night's worth of wood on the way home from work (green: for next year). Hoping to really offset the (gas) furnace this year with wood power... but it's getting like gold around here and I refuse to pay for it. I might have enough on hand for this winter, might not- gotta keep my eyes peeled. Helps when you drive a truck every day tho- plenty of room for circa 8-foot logs.

Got a free lunch & a $50 tip at work today- that's 7/10ths of a tank of diesel- I'll take it.

That's about as best as I can do these days.

One word Balthazar: coppicing. That's growing trees and shrubs so you can cut the branches for various uses. You want something that is fast-growing and can be cut right back over winter, perhaps even to the stump. Willow is good, ash, elder, oak, hazel, wych-elm, lime (linden), hornbeam, maple, birch, sycamore (plane), alder and sweet chestnut can also be coppiced and I'm sure you can find others that may suit your area and yard. Most traditional fruit and nut trees can be coppiced as well. Unless you have a lot of patience and trees you don't let them grow very big, so even a regular yard can support a several trees just around the boundary. Typically you cut one or two back each year and let the others grow. How often you cut a particular tree will depend on how many trees you have; how large you want the timber; the type of tree; and whether you want fruit, nuts or mast as well as timber. Some municipalities will require permits for such severe pruning of existing trees, in the name of preserving green spaces.

Edited by thegriffon

I love living in Ohio, but if the economy doesn't turn around, i may have to move.

However, Desert, Ohio or wherever, I think we are in for more hard times. Think I'll enjoy a piece of pie and not worry about things...

Chris

I love living in Ohio, but if the economy doesn't turn around, i may have to move.

However, Desert, Ohio or wherever, I think we are in for more hard times. Think I'll enjoy a piece of pie and not worry about things...

Chris

Yeah, I don't think we have seen the worst yet. Whomever wins the White House is going to have a big mess to deal with for quite a while, I'm afraid.

Chris

Almost transferred to Defiance Foundry 14 years ago.

I admired the neat, flat squareness of that region. The Winter mist rising from the Maumee. I sent my wife flowers from a little shop off the main drag while I was scoping things out. Still have the receipt stashed in my memory box. She's gone, but the melody lingers...

Sorry to hear she's gone, longtooth.

And yes, we are going to ahve a big mess to fix up. Newt Gingirch was on NPR this A.M., and even he was blasting the "current administration" for its failings. He said that it was going to take 15 years or so to undo the last 8 IIRC.

Chris

Almost transferred to Defiance Foundry 14 years ago.

I admired the neat, flat squareness of that region. The Winter mist rising from the Maumee. I sent my wife flowers from a little shop off the main drag while I was scoping things out. Still have the receipt stashed in my memory box. She's gone, but the melody lingers...

I've been over there once years ago...also in NW Ohio to Kenton (where my sister was born) and N. Baltimore (near Findlay) (my folks used to live there, before I was born). It's pretty cool, the high schools in those towns have dedication plaques to my father, who was the superintendent when the schools were built back in the late '50s-early '60s. I like the downtown square and old courthouses usually found in small Ohio towns.

I love the rolling hills of eastern Ohio..the Amish country (Holmes County, Tuscarawas County) where I'm originally from, the winding, twisty back roads, the wooded valleys with the fields along the Tuscarawas River, the deep, lush green old-growth forests, the fall colors, the foggy mornings in September... Sometimes I get really homesick for there and also for Steubenville over along the Ohio River where I also lived as a kid...I used to go downtown w/ my Dad and perch on one of the bridges and watch the barges move along the river, moving coal and steel (the mills are mostly gone now). I remember most all the cars were big and American. The '70s were quite a different time and place.

Sorry to hear she's gone, longtooth.

And yes, we are going to ahve a big mess to fix up. Newt Gingirch was on NPR this A.M., and even he was blasting the "current administration" for its failings. He said that it was going to take 15 years or so to undo the last 8 IIRC.

Chris

It'll take fortitude and sacrifice. I'm 52 and this is worse than anything I've lived through. At least 3 generations living today are unacquainted with the concept of want. We don't need to rebuild the same house of cards that just collapsed either. Our economy needs some balance. I would hope with the hue and cry being directed at Wall Street that we never have to countenance a return to the pitfalls of derivative-based trading. That was one great bubble that just burst.

We still have our 'wits' about us as I've read many intelligent posts here, so I think we'll be okay within 24 months or so. But in the meantime we'll need to recalibrate a lot of what we believed to be axiomatic.

Thank you for your sympathy. She was a better person than me.

The 'receiving' line for the guests at her memorial was over 2 hours long. The presiding priest had to just stop it so that another service could be conducted in the afternoon. That was six and one half years ago.

I've been over there once years ago...also in NW Ohio to Kenton (where my sister was born) and N. Baltimore (near Findlay) (my folks used to live there, before I was born). It's pretty cool, the high schools in those towns have dedication plaques to my father, who was the superintendent when the schools were built back in the late '50s-early '60s. I like the downtown square and old courthouses usually found in small Ohio towns.

I love the rolling hills of eastern Ohio..the Amish country (Holmes County, Tuscarawas County) where I'm originally from, the winding, twisty back roads, the wooded valleys with the fields along the Tuscarawas River, the deep, lush green old-growth forests, the fall colors, the foggy mornings in September... Sometimes I get really homesick for there and also for Steubenville over along the Ohio River where I also lived as a kid...I used to go downtown w/ my Dad and perch on one of the bridges and watch the barges move along the river, moving coal and steel (the mills are mostly gone now). I remember most all the cars were big and American. The '70s were quite a different time and place.

Cool. I can picture the scenery in my mind's 'eye'.

Nice that your Dad has been honored too.

I'm originally from Bucks County, PA. Many of the geographic features that you're fond of in your childhood home are similar to where I grew up. Then the building boom transformed 80% of the landscape. But my favorite fishing creek (Neshaminy Creek) still flows through areas as yet untouched by the hand of man.

Cool. I can picture the scenery in my mind's 'eye'.

Nice that your Dad has been honored too.

I'm originally from Bucks County, PA. Many of the geographic features that you're fond of in your childhood home are similar to where I grew up. Then the building boom transformed 80% of the landscape. But my favorite fishing creek (Neshaminy Creek) still flows through areas as yet untouched by the hand of man.

Yeah, Pa has a lot of beautiful areas..I'm pretty familiar w/ W. Pa---Washington County, Westmoreland County, Beaver County, Allegheny County.. E. Ohio has a lot in common w/ PA as far as the geography, not as flat and 'Midwestern' as the western part of Ohio..

Yeah, Pa has a lot of beautiful areas..I'm pretty familiar w/ W. Pa---Washington County, Westmoreland County, Beaver County, Allegheny County.. E. Ohio has a lot in common w/ PA as far as the geography, not as flat and 'Midwestern' as the western part of Ohio..

My Dad's Family is from Monessen, PA and Mom's Family hailed from the Pittsburgh suburb of Etna, PA. All of the customs from that region were transported to Eastern PA back in the early 50's. My Grandfather Ed was in steel back in Pittsburgh. He came East to open the Fairless Works in Falls Township, PA. My folks met in '54. Dad had come East to work at the mill, fresh-faced and fresh out of High School. These jobs sustained families, communities and that corner of the State of Pennsylvania. The towns of Levittown, PA and Fairless Hills, PA grew around the Mill.

My Grandmother told me that where she worked in New Jersey (the Fisher Body plant) was hiring back in '75. She 'pestered' me for months as I was prepping for college to at least put in an application.

And here I am, 33 years later.

I've weathered a bit of tough times in my life, but I was hoisted, helped by the generations of my family that came before me. Giants all.

SWEET!!!!

I had the pleasure of riding in both of these Packards:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...ckards_JPG.html

Naturally, I love both but the '41 would be my pick! :yes:

One word Balthazar: coppicing....

Unfortunately for your suggestion, I live on a wooded lot where most trees are 60' tall... only spot I could have anything so it could grab itself some sunshine is the middle of the front yard.

The brief wet snow we got last week produced a bonanza of downed limbs- I picked up another 3 truckloads of stuff small enough I won't have to split it... but cutting it into stove-lengths will take a half day at least. I am also backed by woods were there's another 1-2 truckloads of downed wood, so I almost have another full woodpile for next winter already.

-- -- -- -- --

On a positive note, I accompanied my buddy and some friends for his brother's 'bachelor party' Sat... and we ended up hopping a few go-go bars. I have not been in a few years. The first place wouldn't let my bud in because he was carrying and didn't want to leave it in his truck, the 2nd place was lame, but the 3rd was very entertaining indeed. I had to stand against the back wall for most of the evening, sort of in a dark corner, and ended up getting pounced on repeatedly, but it was all quite enjoyable. Perhaps I should return soon...

My Dad's Family is from Monessen, PA and Mom's Family hailed from the Pittsburgh suburb of Etna, PA. All of the customs from that region were transported to Eastern PA back in the early 50's. My Grandfather Ed was in steel back in Pittsburgh. He came East to open the Fairless Works in Falls Township, PA. My folks met in '54. Dad had come East to work at the mill, fresh-faced and fresh out of High School. These jobs sustained families, communities and that corner of the State of Pennsylvania. The towns of Levittown, PA and Fairless Hills, PA grew around the Mill.

My Grandmother told me that where she worked in New Jersey (the Fisher Body plant) was hiring back in '75. She 'pestered' me for months as I was prepping for college to at least put in an application.

And here I am, 33 years later.

I've weathered a bit of tough times in my life, but I was hoisted, helped by the generations of my family that came before me. Giants all.

Longtooth, you have a geat deal of skill with the language - I look forward to reading many,many, more such posts from you!

Levittown, Fairless Hills, and Neshaminy are all very familiar names to me. I would add some to that list as well, such as Phoenixville, Coatesville, and Reading. Mill towns all, and climbing their way back still.

Yeah, Pa has a lot of beautiful areas..

Indeed!

I'm mostly familiar with the areas of Pittsburgh / Johnstown / Hollsopple PA ... as Dad grew up in that area. I love visiting that area ... and driving on those roads ;).

And ... that '41 Packard is my favorite of those as well ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Out in no-man's land on an old 2-lane" ... Bucky Covington ... 'It's Good To Be Us'

Indeed!

I'm mostly familiar with the areas of Pittsburgh / Johnstown / Hollsopple PA ... as Dad grew up in that area. I love visiting that area ... and driving on those roads ;).

Yes, some great roads around the burgh. I'm pretty familiar with Pittsburgh and the surrounding counties, since it's pretty close to Eastern Ohio where I lived for 20+ years. Every time I'm back in that part of the country, it always blows my mind how GREEN it is in the spring and summer, and the great fall colours. CO and AZ are very tan and brown, with the greenery mostly from pine trees...

Yeah... NewJ & PENN have sections of highway (far from the urban-sprawl)

where the highway seems to be running through a Vietnamese Jungle. :P

Longtooth, you have a geat deal of skill with the language - I look forward to reading many,many, more such posts from you!
\

+1 Bigtime, Sir. I am in love with your mind...you think very well!

Chris

...and PA is beautiful, as is Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Minnesota, et al.

I am in love with living in the midwest. Regardless of who is in office, I just hope we have more than 3 jobs here in about 5 years.

Chris

...and PA is beautiful, as is Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Minnesota, et al.

I am in love with living in the midwest. Regardless of who is in office, I just hope we have more than 3 jobs here in about 5 years.

Chris

Yeah...I think besides the iffy job market, the climate is the main thing that's kept me from moving back... after 12 years in the dry, sunny West, the damp, gray cold Ohio/PA winters would probably kill me... :(

In terms of Positive and not negative...

Positive, but a little bit negative: My co worker Joe (the guy who bought that really clean 97 Bonneville from that older couple-car was spotless and didn't even ahve 100K on it yet) got ass-ended by an F150, guy was going about 55 and didn't even bother to slow down...Joe was at a stoplight, with his wife and four children in the car.

Car took the a$$ beating of the century, but his children and family are mostly O.K. His two year old daughter will have to have some physical thearapy, but overall everyone is O.K.

Also, my son Daniel and I went with his Scout Troup to the local Medflight facility, which actually handles most of Ohio and part of Indiana. While we were there they ahd to send three choppers to a traffic accident, which can't be good. The positive part...this makes me really proud to be an American. Despite all we do wrong, we do far more that is right, and the technology and professionalism of the Med units were amazing.

That, and I've seen a lot of cool vintage GM stuff on the road lately...

Chris

In terms of Positive and not negative...

Positive, but a little bit negative: My co worker Joe (the guy who bought that really clean 97 Bonneville from that older couple-car was spotless and didn't even ahve 100K on it yet) got ass-ended by an F150, guy was going about 55 and didn't even bother to slow down...Joe was at a stoplight, with his wife and four children in the car.

Car took the a$$ beating of the century, but his children and family are mostly O.K. His two year old daughter will have to have some physical thearapy, but overall everyone is O.K.

I hope that's all and she's ok.

If someone rear ended me like that and my

daughter needed p.t. at 2 years old they

had best hope they made an honest

mistake cause if that was a case of D.W.I.

I think I would beat their head into a wall

until their brains spilled out.

I've never understood how the heck you

can rearend someone at 55mph...?!

I'm no model citizen behind the wheel, if

anything I'm a terrible driver on paper, I

have gotten numerous speeding tickets,

I've been known to cause trouble on the

steets by pulling J-turns on public

streets and have drifted big, heavy RWD

cars around off/on ramps like it's a race

track but I've got this thing for keeping

my eyes MOSTLY on the road.

I even text while I'm driving at times, but

have never come close to rear ending a

car at 55mph. WTF!?

Edited by Sixty8panther

I hope that's all and she's ok.

I even text while I'm driving at times, but

have never come close to rear ending a

car at 55mph. WTF!?

I don't know if it was on a freeway or street, but I do see a lot of people tailgating. I've seen accidents happen where a car stops at a light changing from yellow to red on a busy street and getting rearended because the car behind was following too closely and not slowing..

A big problem also are the retards texting, reading email, talking on the phone, etc while driving...

A big problem also are the retards texting, reading email, talking on the phone, etc while driving...

Even that can be done, in very selective moderation,

without nearly killing someone! Tailgating is ALWAYS

a terrible habbit, one I had as a stupid 17 year old &

quickly did away with.

Well said WMJ.

Now you know what's fun, get a power inverter to plug into your cigarette

lighter and you can run pretty much any 110v household appliance, like

in my B-59 I used to plug in my huge black-light and turn it on while stuck

in traffic, or charge my laptop/cell-phone/bluetooth/camera/camcorder

when on a roadtrip. I've thought about bringing a toaster oven, college

fridge & fog machine Homer Simpson style. :spin:

WMJ:

That's hilarious! :lol:

I'd just say: "Cigarettes cause cancer, I was smoking alternative tobacco"

I think the cops might have something to say if you were driving down the freeway at 80mph and there was an impenetrable fog billowing out of your car. Some excuses you could use might include:

1. "I've really got to stop smoking these cheap cigars."

2. "My heater went out so I just decided to reroute the exhaust directly into the cabin."

3. "I was making tea and I forgot to turn off the kettle."

4. There was a fly on the window so I set off a bug bomb."

5. "I'm saving on fuel by heating my car with coal."

This reminds me of one of the best ever excuses one of my dad's co workers ever gave for showing up to work late.

"I was getting a blow job from my sister and I just didn't have the heart to tell her to stop."

The boss just shook his head and sent the guy in to work.

The world is a better place as of 11 / 07 / 2008

3022849199261584a085pw5.jpg