Rename the CRUZE

Actually I think the people to worry about are Hyundai and Ford, and to a lesser extent Kia.

Ford will cover the domestic crowd, and the new Focus is going to be hard to beat.

More than consumers reports, financing, warranty and salesmanship will win over the cheap small car crowd, something that Hyundai and Kia are very, very good at at General Motors is an Epic Failure at.

Chris

Actually I think the people to worry about are Hyundai and Ford, and to a lesser extent Kia.

Ford will cover the domestic crowd, and the new Focus is going to be hard to beat.

More than consumers reports, financing, warranty and salesmanship will win over the cheap small car crowd, something that Hyundai and Kia are very, very good at at General Motors is an Epic Failure at.

Chris

Ya, and hopefully Ford willl make the next Focus something enthusiasts can enjoy also, as they have done w/ the European versions..

I think they should have just stuck with Cobalt. I don't understand why they have to change the name with a redesign

Marketing pure and simple.

IF you have a well respected long running name you claim the product as new and imporved. If you have a name that is not all that olded or has a solid rep you rename the product to show it is all new and better than last peoduct. It also is to remove any negitive precieved images by the public towards the new car.

This is the first thing they teach you in your first marketing class.

The Cobalt was not a bad name but it also had little steller rep.

The bottom line is a new name get the attention of the not so bright public.

I have to agree as look at some of the names out there on some of the best selling cars.

If this car is priced right and is as good as it needs to be you could call it a Chevy Turd and people will buy it.

The group this car is aimed at only worry about

MPG

Quality

Price

Warranty

Reliability

Lets face it these are Consumer Report reading non car people or Toyota/ Civic/Hyundia owners. They do not care about what the care looks like as long as it is not offensive. They do not care what it is called.

Besides this is not a Vette or some image car. It is an appliance.

You guys are spending way too much time on worrying about the name. We should be more worried if the 1.4T will be enough power vs MPG to make the average American consumer happy enough to replace his Civic with this car.

This is not a car for most here it is a car that sells in numbers great enough to permit Chevy ability to sell cars like the Camaro and Vetter.

It's not about what the name is, it's about name recognition. People know the Accord, and Civic, and Camry. They know Chevy's small car as, that small Chevy, whatever it's called. They confuse G6, with G8, with GTO. They do not know cars like we do. GM needs to stop changing the names of cars with every new generation, because then non car people might actually remember the name.

It's not about what the name is, it's about name recognition. People know the Accord, and Civic, and Camry. They confuse G6, with G8, with GTO. They do not know cars like we do. GM needs to stop changing the names of cars with every new generation, because then non car people might actually remember the name.

Ta da!

It's not about what the name is, it's about name recognition. People know the Accord, and Civic, and Camry. They know Chevy's small car as, that small Chevy, whatever it's called. They confuse G6, with G8, with GTO. They do not know cars like we do. GM needs to stop changing the names of cars with every new generation, because then non car people might actually remember the name.

True, despite of its dumpy reputation for the previous generation, Malibu retained the name, and it is bringing good reviews from import humpers too. I personally think GM should keep the Cobalt and show how leaps and bounds it improved from the previous gen.

True, despite of its dumpy reputation for the previous generation, Malibu retained the name, and it is bringing good reviews from import humpers too. I personally think GM should keep the Cobalt and show how leaps and bounds it improved from the previous gen.

I don't see anything wrong with the Cobalt name either. The Cobalt, while it looks cheap, doesn't have a bad reputation, because it's only been around 1 generation. It's not like the Cavalier name, which was multiple generations of crap. Buick and Pontiac would have done much better without switching names.

I don't see anything wrong with the Cobalt name either. The Cobalt, while it looks cheap, doesn't have a bad reputation, because it's only been around 1 generation. It's not like the Cavalier name, which was multiple generations of crap. Buick and Pontiac would have done much better without switching names.

I think they just want to standardize on a single name worldwide for the new C-seg car...i.e. replace Cobalt, Lacetti, Nubira, whatever with Cruze. The world car approach for Chevy.

Personally, I could care less about the name Cruze, I think this would grab peoples attention more. Call it the CHEVY CHICAGO!!!

A town with great options.

The band Chicago

Chicago Pizza

Chicago Wind

Chicago attitude

What more could you want in a little Gangster town with Attitude.

Now the best built little Chevy with attitude, Chevy Chicago. :scratchchin:

Personally, I could care less about the name Cruze, I think this would grab peoples attention more. Call it the CHEVY CHICAGO!!!

A town with great options.

The band Chicago

Chicago Pizza

Chicago Wind

Chicago attitude

What more could you want in a little Gangster town with Attitude.

Now the best built little Chevy with attitude, Chevy Chicago. :scratchchin:

Meh... I can't see that great city's name on a lame little Korean FWDer.. Chicago fits better on something substantial and all American, like a '91-96 Caprice. (I know, GM has no equivalent to that today).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Meh... I can't see that great city's name on a lame little Korean FWDer.. Chicago fits better on something substantial and all American, like a '91-96 Caprice. (I know, GM has no equivalent to that today).

So the G8 becomes the Chevy Chicago? That would rock! :D

There in lies the problem.

First thing that comes no a non GM buyer about Cobalt or Cavalier is cheap rental car I had at the airport. Or Cheap interior.

GM can stop changing names when they do not conjer up memories of piss poor cars that remind people why they bought an import in the first place. If GM has a car with a positive image to a non GM buyer they keep it but over the years too few names have positive recognition with non GM loving people.

If the Cruze is as good as it needs to be we will have this name for as long time. If not we will need a new name.

GM killed names by putting Nova on a Toyota, Lemans on a Daewoo and Bonneville on an out dated poor quality A body.

GM starts making more cars like the new Malibu and CTS they will not have to do the name dance. Till then the less the remind people of the car they has rust out on them, paint fall off or engine tha let go the the better.

There in lies the problem.

First thing that comes no a non GM buyer about Cobalt or Cavalier is cheap rental car I had at the airport. Or Cheap interior.

GM can stop changing names when they do not conjer up memories of piss poor cars that remind people why they bought an import in the first place. If GM has a car with a positive image to a non GM buyer they keep it but over the years too few names have positive recognition with non GM loving people.

If the Cruze is as good as it needs to be we will have this name for as long time. If not we will need a new name.

GM killed names by putting Nova on a Toyota, Lemans on a Daewoo and Bonneville on an out dated poor quality A body.

GM starts making more cars like the new Malibu and CTS they will not have to do the name dance. Till then the less the remind people of the car they has rust out on them, paint fall off or engine tha let go the the better.

Chances are, people don't even know what a Cobalt is, never mind thinking it's cheap. If they don't know what it is, then obviously there can't be any negative baggage attached to the name. But by changing the name now, they probably will lose some sales from people who currently own a Cobalt now. Why start new, when what you have now is practically new?

Chances are, people don't even know what a Cobalt is, never mind thinking it's cheap. If they don't know what it is, then obviously there can't be any negative baggage attached to the name. But by changing the name now, they probably will lose some sales from people who currently own a Cobalt now. Why start new, when what you have now is practically new?

I am in complete agreement with you on this one.

That whole "world car" excuse is utter BS.

There just is no good reason to change the Cobalt name.

Agreed in one sense on the name thing. Every time GM gets "equity" in a name, be it Electra,Cutlass, 88, Solstice, Firebird, Coupe DeVille, Roadmaster, Caprice, or whatever, they piss it away by changing the name of the car.

Kind of moronic.

Chris

I don't know why GM dropped the "Cavalier" name when it introduced the Cobalt. The Cobalt's styling looked like an evolution of the last gen Cavalier anyway. I know the Cavalier name was a bit damaged, but a great product can do wonders for a model name. Look at the transformation of the "Malibu" name that came about with the wonderful 2008 model. "Cobalt" just sounds so sterile, clinical, and passionless to me. "Cruze" just sounds childish and ridiculous. I think they should resurrect one of the following names: "Monza", "Nova", or "Cavalier".

Well, let's take a trip down the Chevrolet memory lane --

Bel Air

Biscayne

Del Rey

Deluxe

Chevette

Chevelle

Monza

Berlinetta

Cameo

Celebrity

Concours

I think that Chevette or Celebrity would be great for the Cruze -- Chevelle would be too large and sporty for an econobox....

That is just foolish.

People know what a Cobalt is with so many sold they are not rare are uncommon.

There is negitive baggage with the Cobalt not as much as the Cavalier but bagage. The Cobalt was the game changer and was marketed to death at the new American car to slay the Civic. Well it fell short.

If they feel so strong about the Cobalt name they would not buy a Cuze they are not fit to drive a car since they have a lose nut behind the wheel.

To day is a new material world. Everyone wants the newest and most up to date thing. Today in marketing unless it is a home run or retro the names are throw aways anymore.

Today people are more interested in entertainment options than safety as per the survey out today. The love affair with the car is failing fast and the drama and insperation names once brought work less and less. Names mean more in enthutsiast circles but to the average driver they are more worried about price, reliability and if their I pod is intergrated.

Just look around and see what crappy styling and names are selling today. I can sum it up the way of todays market in one word Cube!

That is just foolish.

There is negitive baggage with the Cobalt not as much as the Cavalier but bagage. The Cobalt was the game changer and was marketed to death at the new American car to slay the Civic. Well it fell short.

If they feel so strong about the Cobalt name they would not buy a Cuze they are not fit to drive a car since they have a lose nut behind the wheel.

To day is a new material world. Everyone wants the newest and most up to date thing. Today in marketing unless it is a home run or retro the names are throw aways anymore.

Today people are more interested in entertainment options than safety as per the survey out today. The love affair with the car is failing fast and the drama and insperation names once brought work less and less. Names mean more in enthutsiast circles but to the average driver they are more worried about price, reliability and if their I pod is intergrated.

Just look around and see what crappy styling and names are selling today. I can sum it up the way of todays market in one word Cube!

right. the cube was one of the biggest piles of garbage i saw at the auto show this year.

the soul is passable. the xb is just the xb and even with its effed up dash, still seems like a reasonable vehicle. the element is the class of this field (sarcasm) and its got a cheap interior also.

and yet folks whine if the plastic is too cheap on a cobalt.

Well since it was designed and engineered by GME, I think they should call it the Chevy Europa.

I thought it was designed by GMDAT?..

I don't know why GM dropped the "Cavalier" name when it introduced the Cobalt. The Cobalt's styling looked like an evolution of the last gen Cavalier anyway. I know the Cavalier name was a bit damaged, but a great product can do wonders for a model name. Look at the transformation of the "Malibu" name that came about with the wonderful 2008 model. "Cobalt" just sounds so sterile, clinical, and passionless to me. "Cruze" just sounds childish and ridiculous. I think they should resurrect one of the following names: "Monza", "Nova", or "Cavalier".

Cavalier's name was overworked and no longer lusted after. Monza reminds me of cheese. Nova would be great!

I would like to see GM build a series of small, nimble, RWD cars.

Still wonder what a small, RWD Pontiac would have been like.

Chris

We had that up here.. The Pontiac Acadian.. LOL! :CanadaEmoticon:

That is just foolish.

Just because it is marketed, doesn't mean people remember it. I hear GM vehicles names confused ALL the time, including the Cobalt. Which name isn't confused? Impala, and to a lesser extent Malibu. People know those. Cobalt? Not really.