RR Silver Ghosts and AMC Spirits

ocnblu

Well, with Christmas decorations going up in the department stores, that can only mean one thing, it's almost Halloween! What have you seen on the roads as you're out and about, dodging spirits?:)

Wicked black A5 for me today, and about 4 million Cobalts. Isn't it funny that as soon as you buy a certain vehicle, you start to notice every single one you pass by?

Edited by ocnblu

I saw a clean pale yellow '65 Mercury Comet 2dr sedan (must be quite rare) and a sharp maroon '69 Mercury Marquis convertible today...with the top down. October is the start of convertible weather here. Also saw a '69-70 Chevy shortbed fleetside PU for sale, gray w/ flames on the sides.

I hate to report that I saw a brand new Lincoln MKS...with a freakin' fake convertible roof! :banghead:

I don't know why this irritates me so much. It isn't my car and the owner can do whatever they want, but still, what are these people thinking? Do they really think it looks like an actual convertible?!?!?! I don't even like the MKS that much and I still just want to slap them upside the head. OY!

Saw a mid 60's Jeep J-20 pickup truck yesterday, still working hard, loaded up with sections of an old stockade fence headed for the dump (or so it seemed). I haven't seen one of those in years.

Also, my father's 1937 Packard Super Eight, freshly restored, is now registered and insured and inspected and hit the road for the first time since 1975 yesterday and racked up a grand total of 66 miles.

Saw this beaut last weekend while car shopping...'66 Galaxie 500. They want $10500 for it, which is a little high IMO, but it's in pretty great shape. It only has a 289 though.

p1020677tn5.jpg

'85 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren convertible...very limited production...they want $8500

n16904062_37918485_2788.jpg

'75 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible, great shape again

n16904062_37918492_5133.jpg

'66 Dodge Coronet, another convertible

n16904062_37918491_4788.jpg

'72 Dodge Charger

n16904062_37918489_4114.jpg

'86 Buick Grand National

n16904062_37918484_2467.jpg

'64 Mercury Montclair

n16904062_37918494_5824.jpg

Some nice rear ends

n16904062_37918488_3788.jpg

Isn't it funny that as soon as you buy a certain vehicle, you start to notice every single one you pass by?

Yeah, why is that?

Anyway, to answer the post... a Rambler station wagon yesterday at Autozone. I couldn't tell you which model it was, however.

mustang, that's a '73 Grand Ville convertible, not a '75. That Galaxie is very nice, but something seems off about some of the trim. Did Galaxies have hood ornaments and notchback roofs? I am not sure, as I'm not as "up" on Fords as I am GMs. Nice pics!

mustang, that's a '73 Grand Ville convertible, not a '75. That Galaxie is very nice, but something seems off about some of the trim. Did Galaxies have hood ornaments and notchback roofs? I am not sure, as I'm not as "up" on Fords as I am GMs. Nice pics!

Yeah, I thought they maybe took the hood ornament and some of the trim off the 500's, but I did a quick google search and it looks like some did have hood ornaments and extra chrome trim. I always assumed the 427 was the only engine offered in the 500, but apparently they offered a smaller 240 straight six. The thing I don't understand is that the window sticker said this car had a 289, but that engine was never an option on the Galaxie, so someone must've done a swap.

Took a little Sunday drive up in the mountains... up to Payson, Cottonwood, Jerome, and Prescott and back to Phoenix... saw a variety of interesting cars... highlights:

in Rye, a junkyard full of motorcycles, lawn mowers, and 50s cars--there was a '53 or so Studebaker 2dr wagon, mid '50s Dodge panel truck, and an early '50s Chevy pickup on top of a stack of misc. 50s cars..all with decades of surface rust. Also a '59 Ford panel truck in decent shape, and an '80s Dodge 400 convertible w/ a pickup cap in lieu of a convertible top.

On the road, a older Land Rover pickup..50s vintage, I think--had the close-set headlights in the grille panel between the fenders.

There was a rod run going on through Payson, I think..I saw a bunch of '30s-40s rods, and a goregous light green '55-56 Chrysler 300. Saw a very sharp white w/ black top '65 GTO... and a '70-72 Plymouth Duster in orange w/ dog dish hubcaps.

Also a gold w/ white top '73 Jeepster (I think it was a '73, because that is the year, IIRC, that had the un-CJ-ish front end--chrome grille).

Also, a red & white '60s 'Old' Mini parked at a gas station w/ 2 Austin-Healey 3000s.

And a Toyota Corolla 2dr ht wagon from around '80 in decent shape.

Edited by moltar

1965 Thunderbird, painted and modified into a Turner's Ice Tea promotional vehicle. The trunk is one giant cooler.

Weird, I too saw a '65 T-Bird. Except it appeared stock.

Also saw a Prowler ('twas dark, didn't see what color it was)

67-69 Camaro SS (didn't get a good look to see what year)

mustang, I went to YouTube and saw a few vids on '66 Galaxies. The car you posted appears correct, all the ones I saw had the same trim and hood ornament (the LTD trim package debuted for '66, I thought your black Galaxie was really an LTD, but it isn't). I also think by that time all Galaxies were 500s, and probably had a wide range of engine options.

mustang, I went to YouTube and saw a few vids on '66 Galaxies. The car you posted appears correct, all the ones I saw had the same trim and hood ornament (the LTD trim package debuted for '66, I thought your black Galaxie was really an LTD, but it isn't). I also think by that time all Galaxies were 500s, and probably had a wide range of engine options.

Lots of options, lots of models. Below the Galaxie, there was the Custom (Ford's equivalent of a Biscayne), then Galaxie, Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500XL, Galaxie 7Litre, and LTD. Some years had a Custom 500 also, not sure about '66.

Well, with Christmas decorations going up in the department stores, that can only mean one thing, it's almost Halloween! What have you seen on the roads as you're out and about, dodging spirits?:)

Wicked black A5 for me today, and about 4 million Cobalts. Isn't it funny that as soon as you buy a certain vehicle, you start to notice every single one you pass by?

I suppose it's once you buy a specific model, you become very aware of it and start noticing them around you. That happened to me in '00, bought my Jeep, and suddenly started noticing Patriot Blue Grand Cherokee Laredos everywhere... I still see many in that color, very popular apparently (even the ones I saw in Europe were all dark blue, black, or silver, but in Limited trim).

Below the Galaxie, there was the Custom (Ford's equivalent of a Biscayne), then Galaxie, Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500XL, Galaxie 7Litre, and LTD. Some years had a Custom 500 also, not sure about '66.

Close; '66 Ford ~

Custom

Custom 500

Galaxie 500

Galaxie 500 XL

Galaxie 500 7-Litre

Galaxie 500 LTD

289 definately was still around for '66- it was standard in at least the 500 XL.

Ford had some monster motors; at the top of the heap~

Thunderbird High-Performance, 410 HP 427, 4bbl

Thunderbird Super High-Performance, 425 HP 427, 2x4bbl

SOHC, 616 HP 427, Hemi, 4bbl

SOHC, 657 HP 427, Hemi, 2x4bbl

Audi R8 up close at a parking lot in front of a hardware store. Sky blue/silver tt.

Bronze Metallic 1960 Oldsmobile 4-door hardtop (I think it was a Dynamic 88)

1948? DeSoto, awesome patina, looked like a barn-find. Sitting in a driveway in Middleton, MA

and (saved best for last!)

1963/4 Corvair Greenbriar passenger van, MINT!!! orange with the two-tone-paint;

off-white inside the belt line. Te guy driving it, a gentleman in his late 40s... looked

like he was piloting a Ferrari F40by the look on his face. :)

:lol: @ O.B. 1960 Buicks are AT LEAST one model year too new for me.

XP: Got your text msg. about your Dad's Packard!

It's been a long time coming. You know I will demand that ride

I was promised. Tell him congrats, what an amazing car that eloquent

Packard is, one of the finest in the Merrimac Valley. :)

Today at lunch, saw a '70s Datsun B210 GX hatchback, faded blue paint but solid. Parked behind it was a very clean '82 Celebrity 4dr, dark gray w/ gray interior. I think it was a repaint, no badging. No visible rust (the ones I remember seeing in NE Ohio were all rusted out (esp. the decklids and wheel arches) by the late '80s-early '90s).

Saw 2 '08 CTSes---a black one w/ tinted windows and chrome wheels, and a dark gray one.

I had to travel to North Brunswick for work yesterday and took Route 130 North - which takes me right by Perrine Buick-Pontiac-GMC-Hummer-Saab. As I passed I witnessed a 2009 Hummer H3T being unloaded from a carrier. On my way home, I stopped by the dealership to have a look - Carbon Black Metallic, fully loaded, $41k and change. With Hummer up for sale I was wondering if these trucks were going to make it out to the dealers; now I know they're on the way. I have to start playing Power Ball or at least the NJ Lottery :P

wacky late-1980s/early-1990s style "Kuston" Chevrolet reg-cab./step-side pick-up.

The truck was originally a 1980-87 M.Y. The customization included some slick

bowtie-shaped tail lights hidden inside the rear rollpan. EVERYTHING on the truck

was gloss black... except for the glass and headlights.

Out on the highway today I tawt I taw a Chevy Traverse up ahead. And I did! I did taw a Chevy Traverse, a silver LTZ with a dealer tag flapping against the liftgate, no doubt on a test drive. The rear end is simple, clean, and identifiable immediately as a Chevy with the double round taillamps.

FINALLY saw my first goddamn BMW X6 on the streets. Not what I expected.

I don't know my Ferraris very well, but it was some FR car, might have been a Maranello.

Also...

-Impreza STi hatch

-an early 50's four-door I can only assume was a Chevy

-57ish Corvette with the top down

-chop-top classic Ford truck

While out at lunch today, I saw a very clean 1987-1990 Caprice 9C1 police cruiser, in full City of Phoenix Police Department trim, with steelies and DDs. Interesting to see a car that old still in use (had a uniformed cop driving it).

Saw probably my 3rd Genesis in the wild today. A perfectly nondescript car. Looks like everything and therefore looks like nothing.

Also, I saw a Plymouth (or was it Chrysler?) Prowler the other day on my way to class.

Over the past couple of weeks:

'56 Chevy station wagon, two-tone blue

'55 Chevy station wagon, gray/black w/ flames

'55 Chevy station wagon, I foget what colors

all within a span of 5 days.

Red Ferrari Mondial t cabriolet

'09 Mazda 6 (hot)

'09 Nissan Maxima (hot)

'09 Chevy Aveo5 (blech)

Some other stuff that I forget.