My Last Hurrah

I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, in many types and brands, but I have always had a special feeling for those cars that were built for heavy-duty police work. Depending on who made them and when, there have been several outstanding models and, IMO this is one of them. The 9C1 designation is given to cars produced by Chevrolet for police service, with many special, heavy-duty features that are not even optionally available on the civilian models. That also, is the case here, and the closest civilian version of this car was the Impala SS. averaged 22.4 mpg! Yeah, they don't make'm like this anymore. Too bad! I have been trying for 3 days now to put in a picture of this car. The system says I do not have enough space ------ but I have reduced the pic in my documents to less than 1K ! How do you post a nice pic? Somebody please help!

How do I "upload" it? Just select, cut & paste?

I'd rather not add another program to my loaded already computer. I'm a little gun-shy 'cause I just had to spend $$$$$ to get rid of 16 virus attachments that came with X-Mas cards! Is there any way to download directly from "My Documents" file? Edited by rkmdogs

Message deleted! Edited by rkmdogs

Posted Image Edited by rkmdogs

Love it! Great post. :) :wub:

Posted Image

Thanks! I don't know how you did it, but glad the ol' squad finally made it.
I hope you realize this is the after pic, not the before!
This was (is) an ex-FBI undercover, unmarked car, but I think that they must have used it as a road block! There was not one undamaged panel on it when I got it.
I got it @ 144,000 miles, which is another anonmaly, since Fed cars are supposed to be turned in @ 110,000.
It now has 183,000 on it (hardly broke in), and it has been "tickled"
a little.(Heh-heh!)
This will probably me my last one. My previous "toy" was a 1983 Malibu
9C1, the last of the RWD Malibu sedans, and one of my favorites.
If I can ever figure out how this picture thing works, I'll post it, too!
It was featured in the Sept.1987 issue of Super Chevy magazine--- after
it too had been tickled. Turned 14.4 inthe 1/4, on street tires!

Posted Image
:rolleyes:

Edited by rkmdogs

Click on "add reply" and then click on the "IMG" button. IN the window paste in the HTTP: link and click okay. The picture will come up for you.

And then I got talked into entering the 2005 Daytona Spring Car Show --
my first........ and last time!
It's a lot of work trying to make a street driver look as pretty as a trailer queen!

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

a a caprice ill post my clunker i got 3 old pics on file for some reason
I FOUND THEM SOME HOW! <_< (is she trying to sell it on ebay i ponder quitly to myself) :o

SIDE
Posted Image
FRONT
Posted Image
AND AHHHH!! THE ENGINE 260,000 strong (it is clean see what good maintance can do!!)
Posted Image

Edited by capriceman

no offense Why a women cant back out a car!!!!!!!!!! the mirror dent i no i saw that. i was pissed to she backed out to fast and smack crunched the mirror in :angry: and yes its still R-12 only thing replaced is altenator and hoses. Any ?'s O i STILL WISH THEY MADE THE CAPRICE. i had a new style like yours a 91 it was more unstable than this but i would of had it still. My brother could drive.( a not a fault accident) i want to leave suburbia!! ill pay rent any one. J/k

Here's a picture of Roach II (hopefully someone will be interested in buying it). I am letting my Maintenance Manager use it right now. I refuse to pay for the 15 mpg it gets. At this point my wife won't let me ask less than $4000 for it. We got it from the county police, who got it from the city of Portland. It does run strong as any Caprice out there, and this one hasn't been abused like Roach I. Though if it doesn't sell soon, I'm going to have to come up with ways to get it to die so we have an excuse to sell it (it never worked for Roach I but it was fun trying).

Here's a picture of Roach II (hopefully someone will be interested in buying it).  
At this point my wife won't let me ask less than $4000 for it.  We got it from the county police, who got it from the city of Portland. 

Dsuupr;

You did not indicate what the mileage is, nor what market conditions are, where
you are, but a small note.......

'95-'96 9C1 Caprices on eBay are going for $3300. Yours is a '94, which some people prefer due to an unproven wives tale that is was supposed to be faster
than the last 2 years' models.
By your note, you are at least the 3rd owner of this car, & no mention of its'
service history.

You might suggest to your wife to lower her economic sights, unless you have put a bundle into it, refurbishing it. You also did not indicate what engine it had, the
desired LT1 or the smaller L99 V-8.
AND, if you are only getting 15mpg, you definitely need some engine maintainence, or a lighter foot on the loud pedal!
I honk mine, and get 18-20mpg all the time, and when I drove it down from
Philly to FL., cruising @ 80-85mph, I averaged 22.4mpg!

:rolleyes: B)

Posted Image Edited by rkmdogs

185,000 miles 1st owner Portland Police 2nd owner Yamhill County Police 3rd owner us All records kept with county & city prior to us We've done oil changes & a/c - as typical B-body that's it LT1 My right foot can't be light on that car. I would be scared of hurting it by being to gentle. They're not made for it. I'm the one that wants to dump it, not here. I've never been a fan of the useless gas hogging style of the B-body sedan.

I'm the one that wants to dump it, not here.  I've never been a fan of the useless gas hogging style of the B-body sedan.

Then why did you buy it, if you are not into muscle cars? :huh:

I guess you never heard the story of Roach I (back in the days of the 1st generation of Cheers & Gears). To shorten it, I didn't want it, my wife did. We got a Caprice years ago because she kept banging up my Alero. It lasted 390,000 very beaten on miles at which point in time I forced her into getting rid of it. We bought her a 1999 Intrigue that she never liked so we sold it to a friend and bought Roach II. That was ok until we bought our house - a 50+ mile round trip for her to work and back. At $600 a month in gas the big ugly car had to go. She doesn't want to get rid of it until someone is willing to overpay for it, but is willing to make the Cobalt her daily driver. For the record, I've never "wanted" Roach II or Roach I in the first place. I had always hoped she would get more of a liking for minivan or something more parental like.

You have to change your view perspective. The glass is not half-empty, it is half-full! Be thankful your wife did not fall in love with some big SUV, or worse, a Ford Expedition or Exploder! Still, you should be getting better gas mileage than that, especially doing open highway driving. My Caprice, on the road gets better gas mileage than my wife's Astro! ----- and the Astro is five years newer! :chevy:

• 2 weeks later...

rkmdogs, That's a great looking 9C1.  Nice work.  I'm liking the clear corners.  B)

[post="17911"][/post]

Thank you DBeaaSSt for your kind words. "Casper" appreciates your praise!
If you would like to see him up close and personal, I broke my own rule, or rather made an exception, and entered him, in one of the most fantastic car shows in this part of the country.
The Lake Mirror Classic 2005 is being held October 14-16, 2005 in downtown
Lakeland, Florida.
For this show, they block off over six square blocks in the heart of downtown
Lakeland and go all around Mirror lake, in the center of Lakeland to display
the cars of many, many categories.
I've seen cars here that I had only seen before in books!
You can get a little taste of it at the website, go to:
http://www.lakemirrorclassic.com
and check out the gallery.
The Greater Orlando Florida Area Super Sport Team (GoFaSSt), recognized
chapter of ISSCA (Impala SS Club of America) will be there in force,
with many nationally known cars.
Come out and join us!

Posted Image :rolleyes:

Thank you DBeaaSSt for your kind words. "Casper" appreciates your praise!
If you would like to see him up close and personal, I broke my own rule, or rather made an exception, and entered him,  in one of the most fantastic car shows in this part of the country.
The Lake Mirror Classic 2005 is being held October 14-16, 2005 in downtown
Lakeland, Florida.
For this show, they block off over six square blocks in the heart of downtown
Lakeland and go all around Mirror lake, in the center of Lakeland to display
the cars of many, many categories.
I've seen cars here that I had only seen before in books!
You can get a little taste of it at the website, go to:
http://www.lakemirrorclassic.com
and check out the gallery.
The Greater Orlando Florida Area Super Sport Team (GoFaSSt), recognized
chapter of ISSCA (Impala SS Club of America) will be there in force,
with many nationally known cars.
Come out and join us!

[post="18385"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're quite welcome.

Lake Mirror sounds awesome! Wish I could sneak away but I've used up my vacation time for the year! Best of luck to both of you with your entry! B) ImpalaFest is coming up soon too. Some day I'd like to make that event.

You know Mike Morgan of GOFASST? I've chatted with him a bit, used his idea to make some accessory switches for my SS. Very nice guy.

Mike

Yes, I know Mike Morgan well. His currently is the President of Go Fasst. I was at his house when he did the blower install on his SS!

Whoa. This is sweet. I love these B bodies. Too bad I am in college and cant afford a piece of shit, let alone one of these babies! Honestly though, I want to get a job and buy a 9C1 or maybe an SS if I find one for the right price. I should stay in contact with you B bod fans around here.

[post="19196"][/post]

Haunt eBay. That's how I found my car. But know what you are looking for first!
Many of the people that post 9C1's don't know a damn thing about them!
Best way --- get a pic of the build codes label that is on the inside of the trunk lid.

Get a copy of these code descriptions and memorize it. You can get that @
www.9C1.com
Bob lane used to be the webmaster on that site, but he sold it. The new owner is
remaining faithful to what was started there.
Check the links for State vehicle auctions. Check with your Sheriff's dept auctions.
Some people are crooks and think they can gold-plate these cars with words.
Be careful, there are a lot of shady dealers playing in this marque right now!

Be prepared to pay for what you want. You can't buy gold bricks with wooden nickels!........ but there are some real deals out there!
For example, the ad that I posted from an ISSCA ad for a '96 SS with a Golen
383 Supercharged engine. That car probably has over $30,000 invested, and he
is(was) willing to let it go for $11,500. That is truly a steal of a lifetime!
First released ex-squad 9C1's are going for around $3300 right now. That too,
is a helluva deal, depending on the condition. Find out as much as possible
about the history of the car, and where it was used. A lot of these so-called
"dealers" can't or won't tell you that. Some areas of the country abused the
hell out of their squads, and only sell them when the wheels are about to fall off!
BE CARFUL. If you don't know, ask! If you can't tell,ASK! And if you can see the
car, take a knowledgeable mechanic with you to look at it, and drive it if you can.
Most cases on eBay, that is not possible.
You can also go to the want ads at the ISSCA and the NAISSO websites, but
here the prices are usually higher, because these people know what they have.
.....And sometimes they have illusions of grandeur about what they have!
Remeber, while the money is in your pocket you hold the high cards. Once you
relinguish the dough, it is Caveat Emptor, and hope that you can run faster than the crook who stole your money! B)
Posted Image B) :o Edited by rkmdogs

Haunt eBay. That's how I found my car. But know what you are looking for first!
Many of the people that post 9C1's don't know a damn thing about them!
Best way --- get a pic of the build codes label that is on the inside of the trunk lid.

Get a copy of these code descriptions and memorize it. You can get that @
www.9C1.com
Bob lane used to be the webmaster on that site, but he sold it. The new owner is
remaining faithful to what was started there.
Check the links for State vehicle auctions. Check with your Sheriff's dept auctions.
Some people are crooks and think they can gold-plate these cars with words.
Be careful, there are a lot of shady dealers playing in this marque right now!

Be prepared to pay for what you want. You can't buy gold bricks with wooden nickels!........ but there are some real deals out there!
For example, the ad that I posted from an ISSCA ad for a '96 SS with a Golen
383 Supercharged engine. That car probably has over $30,000 invested, and he
is(was) willing to let it go for $11,500. That is truly a steal of a lifetime!
First released ex-squad 9C1's are going for around $3300 right now. That too,
is a helluva deal, depending on the condition. Find out as much as possible
about the history of the car, and where it was used. A lot of these so-called
"dealers" can't or won't tell you that. Some areas of the country abused the
hell out of their squads, and only sell them when the wheels are about to fall off!
BE CARFUL. If you don't know, ask! If you can't tell,ASK! And if you can see the
car, take a knowledgeable mechanic with you to look at it, and drive it if you can.
Most cases on eBay, that is not possible.
You can also go to the want ads at the ISSCA and the NAISSO websites, but
here the prices are usually higher, because these people know what they have.
.....And sometimes they have illusions of grandeur about what they have!
Remeber, while the money is in your pocket you hold the high cards. Once you
relinguish the dough, it is Caveat Emptor, and hope that you can run faster than the crook who stole your money!  B)
Posted Image B)  :o

[post="19316"][/post]

That is sweet. I guess with my budget I would be looking for a 9c1, but an SS would be cool just because it is already nice, in theory. Ill have to look around, like you said.

That is sweet. I guess with my budget I would be looking for a 9c1, but an SS would be cool just because it is already nice, in theory. Ill have to look around, like you said.

[post="19512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm a little late on this one! :) I'll second what rkmdogs said. I got my SS from a Stealership (very aptly named). Got the Buick from the ISSCA forums and the Olds from eBay. Look around, you'll find one.

[flame suit on]
I love my SS! BUT SS's are really a 9C1 with an appearance package and lowered an inch. Take a look at rkm's Caprice, if there was a white SS it'd be nearly impossible to tell them apart. Good luck!
[/flame suit off]

Mike

Thank you DBeaSSt for the very kind words about Casper, again! I'm not quite an SS clone in white however. There are things that the 9C1's have that the SS'es don't. Full body mounts are one in particular. I also am not partial to leather. I've had it, but in warm weather, I prefer cloth seats-- which my car has. Shocks are another item where I prefer my ride to the SS. It is somewhat ironic that guys buy an SS, and then add the HD items from a 9C1 that the factory left out! Trans coolers, oil coolers, etc. However their were(are) items that I think were done better on the SS, and I have "borrowed" those features for my car. (Grill, wheels & tires, interior lites) And of course then some aftermarket things, (air intake system) and things "borrowed" from the Corvette & Camaro parts bins too! I only have two regrets about this car. One, I wish it were the size of the old "G" bodies,(RWD Malibus) and the headlites suck! I have modified my lighting system, but the lens design leaves a lot to be desired for light placement on the road. Oh well, can't have everything. BTW, how do you like my new "replacements" for the leaping deer on the hubcaps? I had these custom-made. Just got them on. Edited by rkmdogs

I only have two regrets about this car. One, I wish it were the size of the old
"G" bodies,(RWD Malibus) and the headlites suck! I have modified my lighting system, but the lens design leaves a lot to be desired for light placement on the road. Oh well, can't have everything.

BTW, how do you like my new "replacements" for the leaping deer on the hubcaps?
I had these custom-made. Just got them on.

[post="21292"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the bowties! Very nice. Did you make a sticker of sorts for the hubcaps or something else?

Did you know that there is a vendor on the SS Forums making custom headlights for the B-body? They're going into production soon. Very nice. Not cheap though.
Here:
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb...18;t=001197;p=1
It's a long read but gonna be a great product!

I wasn't aware of the body mounts issue with 9C1 vs SS. Interesting. So yours has more mount points? Hmmmm.

I like the bowties!  Very nice.  Did you make a sticker of sorts for the hubcaps or something else?

Did you know that there is a vendor on the SS Forums making custom headlights for the B-body?  They're going into production soon.  Very nice.  Not cheap though.
Here:
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb...18;t=001197;p=1
It's a long read but gonna be a great product!

I wasn't aware of the body mounts issue with 9C1 vs SS.  Interesting.  So yours has more mount points? Hmmmm.

[post="21431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I bought the hubcap decals from Adam Haack, a member of GoFaSSt who does
decal things and sells them all over, including on eBay. His e-mail address
is: [email protected]

I saw something on those headlites some time ago, but as I recall the price was
almost as bad as a set of T84's, if you could find them, and did not address the
focus issue.

Now on the body mounts, yeah there are 7 points on each side of the chassis
that are locations for body mounts. 9C1's have mount bushings and bolts at all
of them.
But on SS'es, they chose to "economize" and they only get 4 on each side!
So most of the astute guys "add" the missing three on each side.
For more info on this, go to Scott Muellers website, http://www.theherd.com/articles/bushings.html
or,
Qalo'ss Impala SS Handbook, which is a large PDF file. The article on body bushings is pp22-25.
He mentions the Impala SS guru for getting the parts, Dal Slabaugh. You can read about him at www.9C1.com. :P