thinking green

I loved the Triple Treds on my truck, but so far I've got no complaints about the Contis. The dealership I bought it from fills all of their new inventory tires with nitrogen, does anyone know if the hype on this practice is true? We haven't been able to find a tire shop around here that offers this (we had a customer with an '08 Accent with nitrogen that needed a new tire, but couldn't find it). I am also looking at two styles of American Racing wheels: Aero in chrome, and Coil in chrome or painted. Does anyone have any recent experience with American Racing? Are they any good? They've been around forever.

Forget the teal Cavalier, is that a hybrid Covered Bridge?

Looks like a "Kingpost Truss" covered bridge with a "Burr Arch". :)

(also, congrats on the new toy)

Edited by Sixty8panther

Oh and as for the wheels the chrome coil look great and the aero stink in comparison. I have heard great things about American Racing along with Weld. Go for the chrome Coils they would look downright sweet on your chrome trimed Cobalt and then replace with a Chevy bowtie center cap for a nice touch. :AH-HA_wink: And please don't murder the car with a fart can at least if your gonna do it get a nice performance muffler from Magna-Flow and a nice cool air intake from AEM or someone.

Edited by gm4life

Well, I suppose it is if you say so, 68 (the bridge), and thanks KF. GM4, thanks, and rest assured there will not be a fart can attached to anything of mine. The only mods I have in mind are the wheels, maybe a 1" drop courtesy of Eibach, and tinted windows... simple and effective, imo.

Eibach claims no loss in ride smoothness with their mild 1" drop kits, can anyone confirm this? I am probably not doing anything at all to the car until Spring anyway.

Well thank ya, Paulie. There is a resemblance, yes? I'm just glad they're at least different from the '05-'08 Cobalt wheel covers. I've been thinking of trying to find a set of the 4-lug, 16" 5 spoke aluminum OEM Cobalt wheels, maybe a set of take-offs... or even the Saturn ION aluminum rims that came on the Cobalt Special Edition cars from '08 (hmmm... I forget if they were 4- or 5-lug.) In talking with my young friends, OEM rims are cooler than aftermarket. Go figure. Edited by ocnblu

Oh man, yup, the Impala is 5-lug of course, and the Impala has 7 main spokes, Cobalt has 6... but otherwise they are nearly identical.

Oh and I checked Eibach's site today... their mild drop kit is like 1.6". I was hoping to only go about an inch lower. We'll see what it looks like with the 16" rims before I go messing with the suspension.

Edited by ocnblu

Oh man, yup, the Impala is 5-lug of course, and the Impala has 7 main spokes, Cobalt has 6... but otherwise they are nearly identical.

Oh and I checked Eibach's site today... their mild drop kit is like 1.6". I was hoping to only go about an inch lower. We'll see what it looks like with the 16" rims before I go messing with the suspension.

Ocn... is that chrome on the bottom of the grille? If so, is that standard? I didn't know Cobalts had that on them.

Ohhh, you just got yerself in deep doo-doo, Mr. Viper. :angry2: :AH-HA_wink: OK yes, it does have a bit too much daylight between the tires and the fenders, but is it 1.6" worth? I'll have to break out my measuring tape. Paulie, yes, my car has a "Bright Chrome Appearance Package", consisting of a chrome grille, door handles, tailpipe tip, and a set of foglamps. Edited by ocnblu

My parents have had great luck with their '05 Cobalt, they drive it

quite conservatively but put on like 22K miles a year... Their 2001

Grand Am GT1 is the backup car these days.

The Cobalt averages 28+ mile per gallon, mostly highway but that

includes some rush hour traffic, and it's an automatic.

Well thank ya, Paulie. There is a resemblance, yes? I'm just glad they're at least different from the '05-'08 Cobalt wheel covers. I've been thinking of trying to find a set of the 4-lug, 16" 5 spoke aluminum OEM Cobalt wheels, maybe a set of take-offs... or even the Saturn ION aluminum rims that came on the Cobalt Special Edition cars from '08 (hmmm... I forget if they were 4- or 5-lug.) In talking with my young friends, OEM rims are cooler than aftermarket. Go figure.

With the 16s the car will probably look something like this:

a_1.jpg

If you like the look, Ebay is your friend

Go for the 16s and get the Michelin tires that come from the factory. You will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

a_1.jpg

Go for the 16s and get the Michelin tires that come from the factory. You will not be disappointed.

Uh... Bethpage? My dad was just telling me to go there (he used to work at that Grumman plant).

YES...one of the best wheel looks, and OEM, ever for the Cobalt. They've never done "good" looking hubcaps for the Cobalt ever, and 2009 is no exception--probably the worst. But the aluminum upgrades have always been pleasant, from LT to SS.

I could see those or, yes, something OEM'ish (i.e. properly matching style) in chrome for OCN's new car, as the new silver moss is a bit dull without some brightwork to liven it up.

Edited by caddycruiser

Uh... Bethpage? My dad was just telling me to go there (he used to work at that Grumman plant).

Nah, that's Grumman Park in Calverton where they used to make F-14s.

Very Nice!

But you've got to get rid of those crappy Continental tires... I just swapped mine out for Goodyear TripleTreds yesterday and the whole car feels exponentially more solid.

Agreed. the Contis are going pretty soon..either Goodyears or Firehawks.....still have to look at some more tires though...