Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Text messaging

Satty

Lets try this again, but we'll start with my counter-point to the points that started the other (now locked) thread.

I used 1400+ texts last month, compared to less than 6 hours of talk time. Texting is great for short questions that have short answers. I text several of my co-workers because they always have their cell phones, and their not always at their desks. My ex and I text in regards to our son and when he's going to be where and with whom. I hate phone calls where one person needs a small piece of information because they always end up dragging on longer than they should. My fiancee and I send each other random dirty/incredibly stupid texts throughout the day, the type of thing that I cant call and leave on voicemail between classes or while sitting at my desk.

Is texting while driving a good idea? Nope, but neither is talking while driving or singing along with the radio while driving or masturbating while driving. But people do it, and none of us can control what other people do, just try to minimize their impact.

Have you seen me driving around in Missouri? I was very lonely in Wentzville! :AH-HA_wink:

Well I dont know any strip clubs up in that area, but I can point you to the places where they offer "extra services" in mid-MO and the southwest part of the state.

Yeah.... I text like there's no tomorrow. Probably 700-900 in a month.

Used to be even more before I worked two jobs totaling 14-15 hours

a day with travel time.

I'll admit, texting can make things a little easier, but I know people who send them while driving and I told them I won't get in a car if they do that. I've only sent a few texts at red lights. It's just too dangerous.

The frequency of usage with texting amongst the youth has really upset me.. their writing is horrendous. In formal writing, they'll use abbreviations such as, "the man asked, 'how r u?'"

I took a cell phone from a girl last year I don't know how many times during lunch... she told me in one month, she made over 7000 texts, and her mom upped her texting plan to meet her needs. You should have seen what her writing was like in Italian!

Their capitalization, spelling, sentence structure, etc, is just shot. It doesn't help that the state is dumbing down the curriculum. Sigh.

And I have to have my administrator ask me why I spent time going over what nouns, verbs, and adjectives are, with students in an Italian class. :rolleyes:

I dated a girl in her mid twenties a few years ago and her texting habit was enough to make me realize I needed to stick to dating women 30+ from there on in***. The seven year difference felt like a generation gap and that was probably the most obvious factor. Clinginess/lack of own interests and friends annoys me, and clinginess via text messaging is just horrid.

In car cell use is restricted to reading texts/emails, I don't send unless the car isn't running. Bluetooth in the one car makes cell phone conversations really easy/hands free.

***EDIT: Will make exception for hotter than hot under 30's such as Christina Milian

Edited by frogger

I agree with Paolino about the whole effect it's having on grammar. For people like us it's not a problem because we never grew up with texting or IM. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was out of high school. But take my 12 year old cousin for example; her parents got her a phone with texting a couple years ago, and she has horrible grammar and spelling. She has Myspace too, so she occasionally sends me messages and they're barely legible sometimes.

From what I've seen, kids spends way too much time texting when they should be doing something active outside or actually having fun with other kids. I was at a baseball game a couple years ago and this 14ish year old girl spent the entire time texting and barely spoke to the other kids she was sitting right next to. It's like put down the phone for three seconds and just enjoy being outside on a nice day at a baseball game. I think younger kids are going to have a harder time being in social settings when they grow up because they'll grow so used to interacting with a screen rather than face-to-face.

I dated a girl in her mid twenties a few years ago and her texting habit was enough to make me realize I needed to stick to dating women 30+ from there on in. The seven year difference felt like a generation gap and that was probably the most obvious factor. Clinginess/lack of own interests and friends annoys me, and clinginess via text messaging is just horrid.

In car cell use is restricted to reading texts/emails, I don't send unless the car isn't running. Bluetooth in the one car makes cell phone conversations really easy/hands free.

I HATE when I go on a date and someone is glued to their phone. Instantly ruins their chance of a 2nd date.

I've sent text messages to people sitting across the table from me at restaurants, and even to people riding in the same car as me.

I've had a conversation with someone in sitting next to... in texting. Haha, it's fun. Although, usually there's a reason for it, such as a subject that others don't need to hear, etc.

My sons' friend's younger sister (she's 12) sent 2600 one month. Her mother leaned on her to cut it down because it obviously was ridiculous, and the next month it was 3700. Perhaps the fad will pass by the time she gets a license.

On a job a few winters ago, where 4 of us were living in the house we were working in for 3 days a week, for like 3 months, the 21-yr old kid working with us 'taught' me texting. So he & I texted back-n-forth during those 3 days, just horsing around. Mildly amusing but stupid all the same- we were in the same house. I've sent about 4 or 5 messages in the 2 or 3 years since then just for the novelty of it.

Talking while driving is illegal in NJ too, but I still do it. I am able to focus on doing 2 things at once, tho; no close calls even here in DensityVille, USA.

the only good music comes on 78s

now GET OFF MY LAWN!

*shakes fist*

:cussing: :cussing:

:rolleyes:

If you are doing what I do, texting means you aren't working and MP3 use means you are not paying attention to what you are doing. I'm not paying for that.

I also got very tired of having to walk right up to the person in question to get his attention when I had something to say.

It's rude and it's wrong, and I'm done putting up with it.

I think there's a good place for texting.......it's both EXTREMELY convenient on one hand, and INCREDIBLY annoying on the other hand.......

It's great for quick questions, answers, and responses......but nothing pisses me off more than to be sitting face-to-face with someone, having a conversation, and they are staring down at their phone texting.....while at the same time trying to continue the conversation with me.....

Just last Saturday night, I was in the middle of delivering a new Escalade Hybrid to a customer, and he was texting all throughout my demonstration of the features and controls....

Like I said, it's rude.

But it all depends on how the person is using it. If someone is texting and not paying you much attention, like in the example O.C. presented, then yes it's pretty rude. If someone is doing it while their hands and attention are free, then I can't see how it could be considered rude.

If I'm in a situation where I dont feel like talking to the douchebags around me, I'll whip out my phone and text people or check my email. I prefer checking my email, because then is said douchebags try to bring me into their douchebaggery, I can opt out by saying I just got a work related email and need to carefully consider it.

To give you an idea of why I love texting so much, here is a text I sent to 6 people this afternoon from work:

"I'm bored, they need to liven this place up by releasing wolverines or letting naked women run around, or let naked women chase wolverines around"

I cant call 6 people from my cubicle just to kill time and let them know how much better off they are than me at the moment.