the 2010 Ford Focus and will quickly become standard on many other Ford,

Lincoln and Mercury models -- allows owners to program a key that can limit

the vehicle's top speed and audio volume. MyKey also encourages safety-belt

usage, provides earlier low-fuel warnings and can be programmed to sound

chimes at 45, 55 and 65 miles per hour.

MyKey is appealing to parents of teen drivers, including 75 percent who

like the speed-limiting feature, 72 percent who like the more insistent

safety-belt reminder, and 63 percent who like the audio limit feature,

according to a recent Harris Interactive Survey conducted for Ford.

This is really disturbing. Chimes at 45? God, better not get on the freeway or anything! Even 55 and 65 aren't so great ideas--most freeways have those as the speed limit, so going at or below those speeds, you're teen driver is now stuck in the far right lane, having to contend with merging/diverging traffic, ramp back-ups, and truck traffic--which they have the least skill and experience to negotiate.

Audio limit? Fine, don't really care about that. Seat belt reminders? Don't care either. Higher low fuel warnings? Meh. But having that speed limiter can have some serious safety ramifications in certain situations, and having chimes going off when certain speeds are exceeded could be quite the distraction for a young driver. Thank God kids these days are smart, and will probably figure out how to disable this "feature" within 20 minutes.

Having a speed limiter at 75 is a good idea for a teen driver with only a year or two of experience. The temptation for many teens to "see how fast they can go", especially with friends pressuring them, is great. And they simply lack the experience to safely drive that fast.

Having a speed limiter at 75 is a good idea for a teen driver with only a year or two of experience. The temptation for many teens to "see how fast they can go", especially with friends pressuring them, is great. And they simply lack the experience to safely drive that fast.

Agreed, but the only speeds listed were 45, 55, and 65...all of which seem pretty low. In LA, only the absolute oldest, most decrepit freeways are signed at less than 65--or those that are so congested that you're going fast if you hit 45--and those are still signed at 55.

Speed doesn't kill...lack of driving skills kill.

It just pisses me off that many parents will use Ford to babysit their new driver instead of actually BEING A PARENT and riding with them to impart the skills necessary for successful solo driving.

Agreed, but the only speeds listed were 45, 55, and 65...all of which seem pretty low. In LA, only the absolute oldest, most decrepit freeways are signed at less than 65--or those that are so congested that you're going fast if you hit 45--and those are still signed at 55.

It just pisses me off that many parents will use Ford to babysit their new driver instead of actually BEING A PARENT and riding with them to impart the skills necessary for successful solo driving.

From what I understand, a top speed can be programmed at any speed. It can be programmed also to sound chimes at 45, 55, and 65, but both are optional things that it can be programmed to do.

On a related note, "industry leading" is a phrase that is all too often abused. I really wish people would stop using it.

The chimes thing could be annoying (although who knows, maybe it will just be a subtle sound)...but the rest of it sounds good to me. I think the speed limiter is a great idea though; I was stupid as a kid and would try to top out my car on country roads, as do plenty of kids. Luckily there were never cops around, but with speed laws and fines increasing, it's probably for the better to make a feature like this available.

The very moment that kid drives a car without MyKey... I'd imagine there will be donuts, burn outs, and top speed runs. :eek:

I can understand 45/55.. sometimes you can get places without the freeway. But I think a 65/75 option would be a better choice. I remember taking the Century up to 110... SO stupid when I think about it now, but back then it was to see how fast I could get the car going.

I can understand 45/55.. sometimes you can get places without the freeway. But I think a 65/75 option would be a better choice. I remember taking the Century up to 110... SO stupid when I think about it now, but back then it was to see how fast I could get the car going.

Only stupid in context...if you did that in a rural, twisty road segment with residences and blind turns...YES. Empty 8-lane freeway in the middle of the desert at 3am? Not so much.

Edited by Croc

BULL$HIT!

This is big brother, it's ANOTHER example of the dumbing down of

our society and on top of all that it WILL not, EVER, eliminate

poor driving. IMHO the bigger problem than speeding for Teens is

driver distraction, so I am not opposed to limiting the radio volume

but that's where it should stop. Two of the worst accidents we

had in these parts that was due to inexperienced drivers was

driver distraction.

1.) Jeep Cherokee drove into a partially open gate, late at night,

on a dark access road, sending the metal beam into the car through

the windshield, resulting in massive head/facial trauma to a kid in

the backseat, 17 y.o. just like the driver and other two passengers.

The Jeep was traveing at 25-30mph according to the po-po.

2.) Distracted girl in a car full of high schoolers drove straight into a

telephone pole on an open road, dry weather, low speed... The fact

that she was only traveling at 20-or-so mph did not stop her friend

in the passenger seat from taking some nasty injuries since it was

her side of the car that impacted with the pole.

-----

And guess what? the second they have earned the privilege to have

"MyKey" turned off they will makeup for all those repressed miles by

driving that much faster and more dangerously. cause now they're

experts at the art of driving, right? 19 years old and 12K miles later.

I used to drive over 85 with the Toronado just to see the digital dashboard flashing.

Same here! Only it was in an '87 Mercury Cougar XR7.... it would

flash and beep as if the chocolate chip cookies needed to come

out of the oven. It had the option to switch over to KM/hr. but

even then the km/h stopped at 134, or whatever the math comes

out to exactly in kilometers.

Only stupid in context...if you did that in a rural, twisty road segment with residences and blind turns...YES. Empty 8-lane freeway in the middle of the desert at 3am? Not so much.

Exactly.

First time I ever broke the 100 mph mark I was 18y.o. ad it was an open straight away at 3am.

And it was 1/2 mile from the State Police barracks. :smilewide:

Another reason for me to dislike Ford.

I used to fly to my overnight job in our 92 Cutlass at 100 MPH every night (2:30am, no traffic or cops). For what should be a 20 minute drive (according to google maps), my record was 8 minutes!

Speed is awesome!

!!!TED:

Even though UPS is only about 7 miles away from my house I get on two different

highways to get there, and since my shift starts at 3:30am most days the MadMax

Roadmonster sees 100+mph at least once a day every work day. Again, 3-5 lanes

of open road and for some reason, never any cops.

Yes, but how easy do you think it is to control a 1994 Buick Century at over a hundred? With those floats? I could hit an ant hill and be air born! LOL

I used to drive over 85 with the Toronado just to see the digital dashboard flashing.

LOL, yeah, we used to peg the needle in one of my friends Luminas because it would stay pegged for 2-3 minutes despite our (then) reducing speed. (We did it on the interstate late at night)

FWIW, I think this technology is lame. Kids need BETTER training and MORE sense of responsibility, not electronic communist nannies.

Then again, I guess actually asking parents to RAISE THEIR KIDS RIGHT in the first place is too much to ask.

Mark my words, this is the beginning of us not being allowed to drive our own cars.

+1

Yes, but how easy do you think it is to control a 1994 Buick Century at over a hundred? With those floats? I could hit an ant hill and be air born! LOL

That's always a scary feeling...

I hit 110 in my '73 Camaro once. That doesn't sound like much until I tell you that I was running 4 inch wide VW tires on the front. I realized how stupid that was when I hit a bump and almost lost it. I've never had that car that fast again. (Even though the VW tires have been ditched in favor of real tires :P)

Depends. I'm not privy to the driving dynamics of that car, so I can't really say. I've driven other boats, though, and didn't do too badly. Remember, speed limits in TX go as high as 80, and that's when driving dynamics really take a dive.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room