Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Ford October Sales

21 posts in this topic

Trucks are still bleeding, the Focus is doing fairly bad, but the Fusion is off to a good start and the Chicago trio is doing great. The Zephyr is almost outselling the Milan.

Ford Media

The good this is the new cars are selling better than analysts said. But the trucks and Focus are bleeding. They messed up keeping the 2005 Focus the same, but watered down.

Would it appear the Fusion may be stealing some Focus sales considering it starts under $18k? The Five Hundred being under 8k units is pretty bad, the new Impala is much better. Not too many bright spots to say the least, but we all knew it was going to be bad. I think the worst news is the new Explorer bombed.

Would it appear the Fusion may be stealing some Focus sales considering it starts under $18k?

The Five Hundred being under 8k units is pretty bad, the new Impala is much better.

Not too many bright spots to say the least, but we all knew it was going to be bad. I think the worst news is the new Explorer bombed.

[post="37337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But you have to remember, the Impala is killing two birds with one stone...the Fusion and Five Hundred both cover the market that the Taurus once held. And, you have to remember that the Taurus is still selling 12,000 units a month despite quickly depleting sales...8k + 4k + 12k = 24k units. That's quite a bit more than the 19,000 that the Impala sold. Although I guess you could also argue that the Fusion competes more directly with the Malibu, but sales should increase in the coming months as the Taurus is phased out and the word gets out about the Fusion.

I can't believe the RR Sport outsold all other Land Rovers for the month.

WOW! Mercury is up 3.9% That's cool given the relatively low investment Ford has put into the division. And it goes to show that even if SOME resources are contributed to a division, that's still the better alternative to phasing it out. Nice to see the Mustang still strong... I was worried it might turn into a fad. Oh, and I'd buy a Fusion in a heartbeat and I think it (along with the Zephyr.. and Milan to a lesser extent) are going to be HUGE hits and they're MUCH nicer than anything remotely close from the competition. Makes me wonder what might have been if Ford had styled the 500 more like the 427 concept along with the Fusion.

What I thought was interesting was for Oct 05 was that the Mustang was outsold only by the Taurus.. And the Econoline/Club wagon outsold the Explorer?

WOW! Mercury is up 3.9%

That's cool given the relatively low investment Ford has put into the division. And it goes to show that even if SOME resources are contributed to a division, that's still the better alternative to phasing it out.

Nice to see the Mustang still strong... I was worried it might turn into a fad.

Oh, and I'd buy a Fusion in a heartbeat and I think it (along with the Zephyr.. and Milan to a lesser extent) are going to be HUGE hits and they're MUCH nicer than anything remotely close from the competition.

Makes me wonder what might have been if Ford had styled the 500 more like the 427 concept along with the Fusion.

[post="37351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

despite all the industry bashing on how Ford was handling Mercury, I knew that with limited resources, badge engineered Fords was the best way to go for the interim. Ford has done enough little things to make models like the Mariner, Milan, Montego, seem a bit more unique than the Ford versions. Also, they have narrowed their target marketing group and have tried to really identify with a certain group, instead of the masses. All, while selling them Ford clones. I think its a decent strategy to rebuild the brand and it gives Merc delaers cars to sell. It essentially adds a buttload more 'Ford' dealers to the market.

So its a start. Milan and Zephyr will help L/M delaers enormously, but watch the floodgates open when the Aviator hits.

What can we say about Ford's mistake on the Focus? Still, the Focus is a darn good small car, its really lost in the PR war. Its just another lesson to Ford and Gm for that matter, of how you need to turn your models about every 4 years now, max. Note to Mercury, import the euro Focus and rebadge it and sell it in Merc dealers. Even 20,000 a year sales would be helpful. And Ford, if you want to rekindle Focus sales, drop the price of the ST versions, offer cheap leases, hell, drop prices all around and add std. equipment. Spice up the interior some.

I agree, I like my new 500, but I do think it would have been cool to have some of that 427 influence in there. Edited by regfootball

What I thought was interesting was for Oct 05 was that the Mustang was outsold only by the Taurus..

And the Econoline/Club wagon outsold the Explorer?

[post="37399"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow..that is bad...

WOW! Mercury is up 3.9%

That's cool given the relatively low investment Ford has put into the division. And it goes to show that even if SOME resources are contributed to a division, that's still the better alternative to phasing it out.

Nice to see the Mustang still strong... I was worried it might turn into a fad.

Oh, and I'd buy a Fusion in a heartbeat and I think it (along with the Zephyr.. and Milan to a lesser extent) are going to be HUGE hits and they're MUCH nicer than anything remotely close from the competition.

Makes me wonder what might have been if Ford had styled the 500 more like the 427 concept along with the Fusion.

[post="37351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah it very well could. I dont know much longer FORD can keep the momentum going on the Mustang. Same goes for the Chrysler 300. Like it or not people still prefer the bland but reliable CAMCORDS. And that is where the Big 3 need to put their resources.

What I thought was interesting was for Oct 05 was that the Mustang was outsold only by the Taurus..

And the Econoline/Club wagon outsold the Explorer?

[post="37399"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is fleet season, most fleets are stocking up when the prices are lower!

Isn't the 500 supposed to get the 427 corporate schnozz next year? I think that along with the new 3.5L might help sales out...the car launched with that "almost" feel to it: almost the right styling, motor, etc. The Fusion hints at being the new darling of the MSM. Can Ford repeat the story of the Taurus? Would be an impressive feat, and I don't think they'll be seeing too much competition from either DCX or GM in the near term in this segment. The 'Bu replacement is a ways off, and the S/S replacements probably will be limited by the marginal DCX interiors.

80K less Explorers and 37K less Expeditions sold YTD verus last year. That's close to a billion lost dollars in sales on those 2 trucks alone.Ouch. I think Bill Ford is going to be Found On Road Dead one of these days in Dearborn.

For all the doom-and-gloom articles their are on GM these days, I think Ford is in a far worse position. Ford doesn't have the vision, the resources, the plan, nor the people that GM has. And Ford still has the UAW factor that is affecting all of the Big 3. DeLorenzo keeps talking about how GM is managing a downward spiral - which IMO is true - but I think that Ford's downward spiral is not being managed at all...it's getting faster. From what I've heard about Ford's product plans, the consistent poor managerial decisions, and constantly change in vision...Ford is in a much worse position than GM. A few examples - Darryl Hazel's management of LincolnMercury. Ford went from a brilliant Lincoln 4/6/8 product plan and phaseout of Mercury...to a re-stripping of brand image by rebadging already mediocre Ford vehicles. What have we got now? Dealer satisfaction? - Mercury's got a lot of rebadges with no image to sell, Lincoln's got a re-grilled F150. Now dont' get me wrong - the Fusion trio is great, but I have a gut feeling it's a fluke, exemplified by the fact that Ford won't offer the 3.5L in future versions. I could go on and on, but basically, I feel that Ford is in a FAR worse position than the General. I hope that these two once-great companies can bite the bullet and realize they need to stop bringing a knife to the gunfight...

Not to be a smart ass, red, but Mercury's selling something based on its numbers.

Isn't the 500 supposed to get the 427 corporate schnozz next year?

I think that along with the new 3.5L might help sales out...the car launched with that "almost" feel to it:  almost the right styling, motor, etc. 

The Fusion hints at being the new darling of the MSM.  Can Ford repeat the story of the Taurus?  Would be an impressive feat, and I don't think they'll be seeing too much competition from either DCX or GM in the near term in this segment.  The 'Bu replacement is a ways off, and the S/S replacements probably will be limited by the marginal DCX interiors.

[post="37630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

having lived for a week with my new Five Hundred, I think your 'almost' phrase is proper. So many good things about the car. Tremendously solid feel. Really good steering and ride, just about right for me. Excellent space, excellent ergonomics and driving position. Lots of handy features. Great dash layout. 6 speed automatic. Huge trunk and fold down seats. And then you have the motor that can, above 3000 rpm anyways. Its quick above 30-40 mph. But then, the seats are not shaped real well. Its take a bit of a push to get the steering off dead center. You get a big glare on the dash. And the front end styling and rear end styling are a bit plain, even if from some views it looks every bit as good as the previous gen A6. To me, the 'almost' is accurate, to the point of saying 'on the cusp'.

Having driven the Fusion, I'd say it pretty much is there. Ford is not as far off as the above poster thinks. Ford's three sedans are a lot closer to the market mainstream as a whole than the press and public are giving them credit for.

GM keeps inching closer but I don't think they will get any huge cred anytime soon yet.

Oddly, I think Chrysler is the one in the hurt bag. They put all their car apples in the 300c and charger. They are clearly not massively popular other than for Hemi and styling. The new Stratus spy shots are hideous. Overall, DCX is getting a redneck image.

Overall, DCX is getting a redneck image.

[post="37974"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Pontiac needs some competition.

I really have nothing else to add.

No, the 3.5L is planned for the CD3 cars. (Fusion) And the D3 (500) cars are selling to the expected market, people who don't care about "bling". The only car that is out of Focus is, you guessed it. Ford blew a chance to hold onto new buyers with all the recalls, and the poor performace of the Zetec motor. And the walked away from the Hot Hatch makret which still has a stong following. I don't think I have seen ONE modifed 2005 Focus (on the street), and its been over a year since they came out!

Ford has a pretty good lineup. Dare I say slightly better than GM in some ways. The fact Ford held on to rear drive, full framed big cars with V8's is neat. And lets not forget that Ford also kept pace with the pony car market with it's new Stang, something GM shamelessly screwed up big time by not updating the F-bodies to stay with us until replacements came along. The ever popular Taurus has been a success story for many years, even if lots of slaes were to fleets and the F-150 has been the number one seller for many years. The Fusion/Milan are getting good reviews as opposed to some new GM products that are hit and miss in the writeups about them. But all is not perfect in Ford land. The F-150 was plagued with first year glitches, the Taurus while still popular hasn't changed since it's inception in 2000 and even that was just a wrmed over 1996 model, the Crown Vic/Marquis despite a better frame and steering feel antiquated next to almost anything else on the road and the Five Hundred should have been given an optional bigger engine and slightly more daring styling from the start. The Focus isn't bad but it too looks similar to the original for anybody to notice and it still struggles with a small 2.0 engine, albeit with a few more horses than it used to have. Most of these issues will be seen to next year but for now Ford will have to ride on the Mustang and Fusion/Milan wave. I think the Five Hundred is fast enough for most needs. The base FWD 6 speed automatic I drove had plenty of power and felt stronger than my 3800 Impala at the time which is no slough either. This engine/tranny combo seems perfect for the Fusion.

Its pretty well known that there will be an SVT version of the Fusion with the 3.5 Duratec and about 270hp. Also, the 3.5 is due for the Chicago Trio in mid CY 2007 I believe. The 500 will also get a 4.4l v8 SVT version, using the Yamaha/Volvo engine. The Focus ST is a darn good car, but it lacks the great power of the supercharged Ecotec. The sedan version is within 10hp of the Cobalt SS sedan so that one is a virtual tie. Still, the Focus is highly reliable now, and the Duratec 20 and 23 engines are much better than the crappy old Zetecs. The Focus still is a good drivers car, and I would have no issues taking one over a Cobalt still. The Mustang has the pony car segment pretty well covered right now. They especially have GM beat in this segment since the GTO is a GT car and there is no Camaro. GM has a broader array of sedans, and certainly some dazzling ones in the pricier categories, but I think if Ford makes a few tweaks to their sedans, I htink they can post some big sales gains across the board. Edited by regfootball

Ford does have a very commendable lineup, with thier only negative spot being the Focus. I test drove a Mustang the other day for the first time, it's a really well resolved vehicle. I know it's been said plenty of times, but it's a coupe that Chevy would kill to have right now, since no coupe GM sells comes close in coolness and quality. The Fusion should do well, Ford has historically been conservative design wise and the Fusion is no exception, and that's okay, but the next Malibu should balance any shift in sales this Fusion could cause. Ideally, the Fusion will compete well with the Accord and Camry. Design wise it is much better than both of those, and dynamics/powertrain it excels obviously too. The only negative spot in Ford's expansive lineup is the Focus, and, well the tepid styling and response to the 500 and Freestyle. Those really could be duds, but quality and value for dollar may still save them. The Focus is a lost opportunity--it really is a great car, but needs a higher quality interior and better design inside and out. The new design is tepid and watered down as Chicagoland put it. So revamp the current Focus with a new design, change the 500s design and Ford will have an excellent lineup. As it is, 500 gets lost in the crowd, even up against the Impala, they need to add some excitement, sexiness to the lines.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0