TRAVERSE vs. FLEX

Flex beat the Traverse in the latest issue of Car and Driver too...though they were both back of the pack.

No surprise there... :rolleyes:

I guess the Lambdas are suddenly "outdated" or "gas guzzlers" or some other stupid, subjective complaint.

I'd buy a Flex over a Traverse any day. The Traverse is the worst looking Lambda IMO, and soon it seems that the entire Chevy line up will look this generic.

yeah, although ford really prices the edge really high.

I guess the Edge's comparable model at Chevy is the Equinox? But it's more expensive..

Ford has 2 parallel tracks now--- SUV--- Escape->Explorer->Expedition, and CUV-- Taurus X->Edge->Flex. Though the Taurus X and Flex seem closer to regular station wagons to me than CUVs.

Edited by moltar

i sat in a new Pilot the other day.

Well, it creeped me out honestly. And the plastic is CHEAP. and the cargo hold is fairly useless because its such a sharp angle, although with the third row folded it has decent space, mostly in width. I am not sure how Honda did it, but it fairly usable.

but there is an aura of cheapness and creepiness to every detail inside. Honda really is doing interiors on the cheap lately.

I don't think the center stack is as confusing as the journalists say however. the center console with its accordion door and that is cool. the shifter is a bit awkward also but enables a truly multifunctional console.

Let me put it this way. I've owned an Aztek for over 4 years now, and have had to endure all the cajoling that goes with it. I 'get' that its an ugly vehicle. Yet, this new Pilot creeps me out in a way I never even been to with my Aztek.

I see the Pilot getting butchered on the nerd side by the highlander, and on the techie cool crowd side by the CX-9. I am not a CX-9 fan myself.

But honestly, to me the most centrist and satisfying large crossovers for family use are the lambdas without a doubt. as the article mentions the extra capacity is what makes them shine and GM NAILED the driving position and third row.

that said, i just bought a taurus x (used) to save dough. i knew i couldnt fit the bill on the flex, which is what i really wanted. Flex haters, go sit in one, go drive one.

My recommendation is if you take a lot of long family trips you might want a lambda for cargo room. If you bag is not so much cargo room as much as second row function, get a flex. if you want lower seating, get a flex. if you like it trucky, get a lambda.

really they are both great vehicles. I would take either over any of the import competition.

if you are a traditionalist SUV fan, and like a trucky ride, get the lambda. if you like unique details and plushness, and something a little more carlike, go for the Flex.

I so totally would love a Flex I just can't swing it.

Edited by regfootball

Not to go too far off subject, but did everyone hear about the malibu besting the Camry in J.D. Power this time around?

Looks like the domestics are finally getting the respect they deserve (naturally, since it's too late to save the companies)

Hadn't heard that..good to hear. The Malibu seems like a really solid product.

I did read a 5 or 6 vehicle comparison in C&D this month of 7-passenger CUVs--the Traverse was last, the Flex next to last, and of course, the Pilot and Highlander were 1 and 2. I think the Veracruz was the other model in the comparison, in the middle.

Hadn't heard that..good to hear. The Malibu seems like a really solid product.

I did read a 5 or 6 vehicle comparison in C&D this month of 7-passenger CUVs--the Traverse was last, the Flex next to last, and of course, the Pilot and Highlander were 1 and 2. I think the Veracruz was the other model in the comparison, in the middle.

The Veracruz was last, behind the Traverse and Flex. CX-9 was second.

Flex, without a question. Why anyone would buy a Traverse is beyond me. The Acadia isn't much more expensive and is better looking. A base Enclave is about what the LT2 runs.

And WHAT THE HELL is with that wierd beige-and-gray interior treatment on the Traverse? Makes me wanna totally :puke:

auto fashion evolves in cycles.

my 95 tbird when i got that, the rage was 'cockpit' instrument panels, complete monochrome interiors (with some matte black plastic mixed in).

Nowadays, its a fight to see who can introduce the most colors, contrasts, textures, metal trim accents, gauge hoods, pods, buttons, etc.

I think its just fashionable right now, even if chevy picked some odd color choices.

Edited by regfootball

And WHAT THE HELL is with that wierd beige-and-gray interior treatment on the Traverse? Makes me wanna totally :puke:

I think it looks fine... at least on my computer screen.

By the way, wasn't the Traverse the first Lambda that was supposed to get a unique center-stack (not corporate radio etc.)?

You know the only thing that would make me want a Traverse? The insanely hot guy in the commercial ironing shirtless. Pure genius.

Not to go too far off subject, but did everyone hear about the malibu besting the Camry in J.D. Power this time around?

Looks like the domestics are finally getting the respect they deserve (naturally, since it's too late to save the companies)

Ahh, when was the last time a Camry was even mentioned in JD Power as a class leader? Or the Accord for that matter? Neither has placed among the best in class this century,as far as I can remember, and JD Power only gives them 4 stars while most domestics get 5.

Ahh, when was the last time a Camry was even mentioned in JD Power as a class leader? Or the Accord for that matter? Neither has placed among the best in class this century,as far as I can remember, and JD Power only gives them 4 stars while most domestics get 5.

According to the article I read, this year was the first time the Malibu bested the Camry and the first time that 3 of the 5 top brands were domestics. Wasn't J.D. Power HEAVILY skewed toward the Japanese last year after it got sold off?

I dunno... Judging by the piss poor media that we all have to endure on a daily basis, it wouldn't surprise me if the article was completely off base. I'll try to find it and post it.