Second Presidential Debate

Since the other two political threads were turning into nonsense, I decided to start one to discuss the second debate and see if we can't have a better discussion than the other two threads...

So, feel free to discuss your thoughts on the second debate here.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not expecting much of substance from this debate, since there wont be any real debating. The candidates will get questions from the audience and the internet, and answer them. They wont address each other (not that they addressed one another last time) and probably wont get follow-up questions from the moderator.

Question 1: Obama answers the question about helping the people hurting most by this economy

McCain talks about energy independence and then proposes a MASSIVE spending bill to buy up homes at their new lower value and then re-sell them back to the home owner.

Brokaw ALWAYS sounds drunk. Prolly is.

Black guy stands up, mumbles a question about 'what's in the rescue bill for me?' Barry steps up to him, says 'I'll tell you what's in it for you', then rambles and meanders around restating the problem, quickly dropping into the oh-so-tired campaign trail rut of '8 more years' and 'more of the same' while the questioneer blinks at Barry, wondering where his answer is.

I tuned out after about 15 minutes- there is zero point to these debates because neither will seemingly stray from bumper sticker politicing.

I think its a bad idea that will cost the government a lot of money. Lets say a person has a $200,000 mortgage, the government buys it, then its determined that the house is worth $160,000. Thats a $40,000 loss, and absolutely no financial gain.

Pretty boring -- same old, same old.

The "my friends" thing is annoying. Curious how the McCain mortgage buyback policy unfolds after tonight -- only thing new I heard.

I wonder if he made that policy up on the spot... seems like it could be very costly..

I think its a bad idea that will cost the government a lot of money. Lets say a person has a $200,000 mortgage, the government buys it, then its determined that the house is worth $160,000. Thats a $40,000 loss, and absolutely no financial gain.

Yeah, or like I've seen in the Denver area---$400k mortgage, house worth $300k... ouch.

Can someone tell me why Tom Brokaw was such a bitch about the time rule, but didn't seem to care at all about making the candidates answer the question that was asked? It was incredibly frustrating how both candidates dodged any question they wanted. This debate was only conclusive about one thing: This debate format sucked.

Well, actually, if you participate in this program, you have to promise a portion of any future profits on the sale of the house to the government. So if you let the goverment eat your $40,000 loss today but sell your house in 15 years at a $100,000 gain, the government gets to take $40,000 of that back.

I made up the percentages, but that's basically house it works.

I wonder if he made that policy up on the spot... seems like it could be very costly..

Could be. At least it's something new to hear about and maybe will cut some of the negative ads from both sides. McCain's lack of wanting to prioritize is a bit concerning too. The math on this stuff doesn't appear to hold up -- cut taxes, cut some gvt spending, then spend more + war costs. :scratchchin:

4 more weeks until it's over...can't wait!

Can someone tell me why Tom Brokaw was such a bitch about the time rule, but didn't seem to care at all about making the candidates answer the question that was asked? It was incredibly frustrating how both candidates dodged any question they wanted. This debate was only conclusive about one thing: This debate format sucked.

Commercial Television and East Coast time deadlines for the 11 pm news. I think that the artificial time limits stunts the debate. It's about the $.

Thats assuming people hold on to their homes long enough for the value to increase. If the government eats $40,000 up front, but the house only sells for a $10,000 gain, the government is out $30,000, unless we get into some sort of government mortgage perpetuity deal where a house has to be mortgaged through the Treasury until the loss is recouped.

Edited by Satty

Could be. At least it's something new to hear about and maybe will cut some of the negative ads from both sides. McCain's lack of wanting to prioritize is a bit concerning too. The math on this stuff doesn't appear to hold up -- cut taxes, cut some gvt spending, then spend more + war costs. :scratchchin:

4 more weeks until it's over...can't wait!

The old phrase 'voodoo economics' comes to mind.

Well, apparently my gut instinct was wrong...two polls have Obama winning this debate so far, with CNN by a pretty large margin.

I thought Obama's quip about the wheel falling off the straight talk express was pretty good.

One major mistake that McCain made was when he was answering the question of the African American guy, he made the assumption that the young man asking the question didn't know who Fannie and Freddie were before the crisis. I know McCain was trying to be "folksy" by acting as if that man were maybe just an average American that doesn't follow all the Wall Street hoopla (and the man did a pretty poor job of articulating the question), but it is a mistake to assume the intelligence of someone you don't know. He should have known that.

Edited by mustang84

Thats assuming people hold on to their homes long enough for the value to increase. If the government eats $40,000 up front, but the house only sells for a $10,000 gain, the government is out $30,000, unless we get into some sort of government mortgage perpetuity deal where a house has to be mortgaged through the Treasury until the loss is recouped.

which is why it's a bad idea.... but that's how the plan works

Both McCain and Obama rambled on and on, McCain a little more than Obama. Obama sat there with his "I'm Smarter than You" expression on. The country should be able to do better than these two. Obama is a tool of the extreme left and McCain is all over the place. We all lose.

Same questions with the same answers from both of the candidates. Yawn.

Seriously, are these our ONLY choices that have a chance to win? Anybody else got a chance than these two???? PLEASE?

Such it is with the two party system. And remember, the primary season was very compressed this year, so the field was winnowed to 2 very quickly.

"My friends" drove me nuts. It was like he was a used car salesman trying to con me into buying a lemon.

Since this is an automotive forum...yeah...he is trying to get you to buy a "used car"...a Maverick....72 model....and a lemon.

Chris

I think the other two threads were more exciting. IMHO

You may be right, but for whoever gets in office it will be a very long four years. I don't envy either of them. The economy isn't going to get better for at least 5-8 years IMHO, and it may get MUCH worse.

We are already loosing a lot of contracts at work because none of our clients can get financed for any form of commercial construction, not even the hospital that 3 of my 5 children were born at.

When Ohio Health, INC. can't get a loan for capital improvements, we are in trouble.

There is no quick fix for any of this.

Chris