Honda Slashes Ridgeline Production

mustang84

Barely.  And it's because of the UAW.....which the rest of the democrats in the US do not support.  I live in Toledo now.....in the Red swing state(which also has a large UAW population).

I know it's not PC to stereotype and generalize, but is really a coincidence that the "blue" states are the ones buying the foreign cars??

[post="38809"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Perhaps if domestic cars were better (or closer to "our" tastes), "blue states" would buy more of them. The GTO's #1 market is LA, and I see plenty of CTSs, 300s (though mostly rentals), Mustangs, and other desirable domestics here. I expect the Fusion/Milan to catch on, too.

It's the wealthy Republican-type people who are buying all the S500s and 750Lis here. So if anything, it's a regional, not political party, thing, and GM should try harder to target such populous regions like LA. I propose midsized crossovers, which are on their way, better smallish cars, and a $70K+ Cadillac sedan.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a general comment.
When a Ridgeline can't carry a Honda ATV, or, many Honda motor bikes in the bed, they shouldn't be (as it was at the local auto show in March) be attempting to put them in the back, with the back two wheels on the flattened tailgate.

To be honest, the bed, like like the Explorer Sport Trak, are relatively useless for those who need a pickup for carrying items longer then 5 feet.

So who buys them? Seriously?

I've had my Avalanche now for 2 years, its my first truck, as I was never a truck guy, and every time I think I don't need the 6-8ft capabilty and I have too much truck, I need that large area....and/or the fact that the load is secure and/or in the cab overnight, even better.

I couldn't imagine having a smaller box if I have a truck.

[post="38780"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I really wonder why the Envoy XUV never developed a following. I really do think it has a similar usefulness to the Ridgeline, Avalanche, etc.

Back to the Ridgeline, I like to compare it to the H3. The little Hummer hasn't outsold the Explorer, and while it does go off-road better (in the same way the Ridgeline drives better on-road), in most categories -- price, comfort, room, economy, power, handling, it is exceeded by the Explorer. But I'd still consider the H3 a success... it drawed more buyers to GM, it increased Hummer's annual sales, and so on.

.....also, you don't have to manufacture products to have a powerful and vibrant economy.....

In fact, the states that are more vibrant economically right now are the ones OUTSIDE of the midwest "rustbelt"

[post="38983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Jesus Christ, does no one take the time to READ?

Allright, let's not start the Second Civil War here.

Ridgeline discussion, anyone?

[post="38763"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Reg, as for the XUV, I would say its very innovative. Though the concept is old, XUV has many appealing features - full-power operation of the skygate and midgate and fully washable rear cargo area among them.

What killed it, IMO, was poor advertising/delivery timing (ads ran and no cars were on the lots), the price, and the aquired styling. I think a cheaper, manual version would've sold quite well, with the production truck serving as the flagship Envoy XUV and 5-pass/midgate and 7-pass/regular cargo area versions with a choice of manual or power skygates.

you gotta read some of this from edmunds

apparently Edmunds bent up a Ridgeline.....I predicted this sort of thing several times already that it would be happening to folks all over trying to offroad with the thing. Hosed up chassis galore. I was bleating on and on about bent unibodies and too light of suspension and frame components.

"So after its first few months in our long-term fleet the Ridgeline gets mixed reviews. We love its practicality and smart design, but question its ability to hold up to the kind of severe use some truck owners might expect. We'll see if it can redeem itself in the coming months as we drive it side by side with close competitors from Nissan and Toyota."

all this with less than 6k on the ODO.

Best Fuel Economy: 16.1 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 14.3 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.9 mpg

apparently those home depot parking lots have lots of brutal bumps. Edited by regfootball

One incident that has called into question our affinity for the Ridgeline is its ability to withstand off-road use. Senior Consumer Advice Editor Phil Reed took the truck on a family campout in Death Valley, California, figuring the Ridgeline was the perfect vehicle to get him, his wife and two sons to a remote campsite. The road was a long, but relatively flat stretch that seemed well within the Ridgeline's capabilities. Its surface was rough washboard but certainly nothing that couldn't be handled at modest speeds by a modern truck. "I adjusted my speed to minimize vibration and eventually settled between 10 and 15 mph. I held my speed down and steered around the worst of the holes and ruts."

His tame driving wasn't enough apparently, as he returned to L.A. noting that the Ridgeline seemed to be handling a bit strange. A check by the dealer revealed that all four struts were blown out and needed to be replaced. The dealer initially signaled that it might not replace them under warranty, but in a subsequent phone call agreed to replace them as a "one time good faith" gesture.

At this point, we contacted Honda to explain the situation. The company agreed to look into it and in the meantime, the dealer went ahead and replaced all four struts. A subsequent e-mail from a Honda spokesperson said that after examination of the struts its engineers concluded that they "showed evidence of what appeared to be very severe usage, suggesting the truck was driven at high speeds for a long period of time over fairly rough terrain. Our engineers insist that we have one of the industry's most severe test standards for damper performance and that they would expect our dampers to perform on par or better than competitive vehicles. We would welcome the opportunity to have you test the Ridgeline against other competitor(s) on the same course that you drove."

More evidence that this is simply an onroad vehicle, much to the chagrin of Honda's own advertising showing Ridgelines doing mild offroading.

Hey Fly, you missed the funniest (and most dead-on) quote of the entire article:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

[post="39753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly, and how many people buy G Vans and Econolines today?

Where do people work in California?  Do they manufacture anything?  I'm just having a hard time figuring out what everyone in this country is going to do when we no longer manufacure anything in the US......well except fot the Japanese 3's cars at $9.00/hour after the UAW folds.

[post="38742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Probably get better paying jobs that require some skill and intelligence.

you gotta read some of this from edmunds

apparently Edmunds bent up a Ridgeline.....I predicted this sort of thing several times already that it would be happening to folks all over trying to offroad with the thing.  Hosed up chassis galore.  I was bleating on and on about bent unibodies and too light of suspension and frame components.

"So after its first few months in our long-term fleet the Ridgeline gets mixed reviews. We love its practicality and smart design, but question its ability to hold up to the kind of severe use some truck owners might expect. We'll see if it can redeem itself in the coming months as we drive it side by side with close competitors from Nissan and Toyota."

all this with less than 6k on the ODO.

Best Fuel Economy: 16.1 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 14.3 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.9 mpg

apparently those home depot parking lots have lots of brutal bumps.

[post="39661"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

At least you can get your satisfaction from one experience with one vehicle. Nothing in this article compares to the thousands of experiences and thousands of Ridgelines of actual owners. I have to question how these "part-time" drivers are driving...swirving to miss on-coming traffic, side-swiping cars on the freeway (try using the mirrors!), breaking struts going 10-15 mph, yeah right!

So let me give you one more experience by one more vehicle owner. I've also had this truck for 7 months now (BTW, they only sold a couple hundred in Feb. to advance buyers. Sales really began in March. They didn't come to market until 3/1.) I have 7500 miles. I'm averaging 18 mpg in daily driving, (always 17.5 - 18.5) short 10m stop n go commute. I averaged 21 mpg on a 3000 mile trip. (These are the typical averages for most Ridgeline owners.) Worst was 16 off the dealership lot (first fillup), best was 22 somewhere in Utah.

My friend has a new Toyota Tacoma with the TRD. Sure it's only an access cab, but still, just riding in it for 100 mile roundtrip, I was really glad I got the Ridgeline instead. The Ridgeline's size is somewhere between the Tacoma and Tundra, but the feel of the interior and feel of the ride are much better.

Regarding sales, Honda's original goal was 50K units. They actually increased production in the spring and adjusted their goal upward to 80K units. Now they're reportedly trimming production a little. I would think this ability to adjust and adapt would be admirable in the automotive industry. I doubt very much that Honda hires and lays off a bunch of people every time they adjust production of one vehicle line. And these goals are for a first year model of a different type of vehicle altogether for Honda. So to compare Honda truck sales to any other company's truck sales is really stretching it at this point.

There are many more misconceptions and misinformation in this thread, so for those of you who only know what you read here and don't bother checking any of the misinformation out for yourselves...well, garbage in, garbage out! Edited by J4F

...garbage in, garbage out!

I wonder if that's what the honda mechanic who had to change all 4 struts on a brand new vehicle was muttering...

[post="39902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know what, that is just childish. These Ridgline owners came over here with good intensions to share their experiences and reasons for making the purchase they did. Personally I have learned a lot from their responses, particulary from their replies to my post on their site.

I think it is time for some people or children around here just to grow up. You might learn a lot if you try to educate yourselves instead of hiding behind a wall of ignorance.

That's the point, it's now a psuedo-truck.  It has all the capabilities of a 1/2 ton pickup from GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota or Nissan. :rolleyes:

[post="39967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Huh? What about the Edmunds report that stated a little bit of rough road basically owned the truck?

This flaming turd of a vehicle is nothing more than a 4wd accord with a boxy truckish style body. Honda lovers will buy any crap with an H on it. yawn. I've seen one torn down for inspection with every part laid on a bench for inspection, as well as taken a test drive..... it's junk when compared to real truck. Anyone who says otherwise is in deep denial and I hope they get well soon.

First regarding the original article. Thanks for posting it, I actually am too lazy to go to the link and read the whole thing, lol.

I honestly don't see what the point is of arguing over the original article's content. It says, essentially, Honda doesn't like incentives, and doesn't use them, which has hurt the Ridgeline sales. They, however, are not going to use incentives to boost sales, and will just wait it out by reducing production instead. Maybe not the smartest thing to do if profit is all they cared about, but they are sticking to their ideals and I'm very happy about it. I can't stand most car commercials as it is.

From the Edmunds article:

He was driving the Ridgeline on a narrow street when he swerved to avoid an oncoming vehicle breaking the Ridgeline's passenger-side mirror.

What does this have to do with anything? They made it sound like that was part of the reason some editors didn't like the vehicle. How about they blame the oncoming vehicle instead? Or thank the Ridgeline's superior handling in allowing them swerve to avoid the oncoming vehicle rather than nailing it head on.

I think the video on the Edmunds review sums up the Ridgeline well. The suspension or body do not hinder the off road capabilities, but rather the lack of low range gearing and ground clearance (according to them). Of course these can both be fixed, I'd imagine Honda will do better in the future, and have a low range gearbox option as well as more ground clearance.

As far as the shocks go, it's hard to say how much abuse the editors put it through, but the shocks shouldn't have blown regardless. I do, however, question the dealer's evaluation on all 4 shocks being blown, as I know most dealers like to sell more parts whenever they can. And I also wish they wouldve elaborated more then just saying "the Ridgeline seemed to be handling a bit strange", as that doesn't really say anything. I think more testing is in order! =)

"This is the minivan of trucks," she says.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeh, kind of a lame quote, but it was obviously coming from a Minivan driver's point of view, and the rest of the paragraph is more important for drive-ability of the truck:

It's easy to get in and out of, there are storage compartments galore, and the seats are mounted nice and high for visibility. Yet the Ridgeline still fits easily into my low-clearance garage. This truck avoids everything I disliked about our old long-term Titan.

Actually, they do - GMC Yukon Denali Problems
Wretchedly old-fashioned
Will my truck ever be fixed?

It's rich to cite Honda for a production problem. How many GM's recalled this year?

[post="40027"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Picking and choosing is fun, but isn't necessary. People are merely commenting on an article.

To elaborate on what AH-HA said, there has been dreadful marketing on part of the Ridgeline. Logical commercials would've extolled its docile suburban qualities, perhaps showing it parking where massive trucks can't, riding like massive trucks can't, and the like. Instead, we get a pointless commercial with some guy brandishing a Honda-logo'd belt buckle and another one showing the Ridgeline plowing through mud offroad.

Real pickup guys laughed at it.
Honda owners probably laughed at it.

I'm sorry, but when your 'truck' blows its shocks on a mild unimproved road after showcasing commercials like that, its hillarious.

Huh?  What about the Edmunds report that stated a little bit of rough road basically owned the truck?

[post="39977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Who knows what really happened! And Consumers Report did not try to tip a Suzuki Sammuri a few years ago?

Well, to be completely honest, this either speaks badly of the Ridgeline or Edmunds and since I don't like either particularly, I laugh and smile.

[post="40055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1 data point does not make for a trend! Anyone that says otherwise I laugh and smile at.

1 data point does not make for a trend!  Anyone that says otherwise I laugh and smile at.

[post="40061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I...never said that. I just find it funny that this occurs during an Edmunds test. I'm sure a few editors were confused as to what they should write when a Honda does something like this. Imagine how the gears in their head would grind if a BMW left them completely stranded. Whoa boy. Remember, these are some of the same editors that wrote three sentences about how inferior the ergonomics on a Regal were because the center console couldn't easily accomodate a double CD case.

I...never said that. I just find it funny that this occurs during an Edmunds test. I'm sure a few editors were confused as to what they should write when a Honda does something like this. Imagine how the gears in their head would grind if a BMW left them completely stranded. Whoa boy. Remember, these are some of the same editors that wrote three sentences about how inferior the ergonomics on a Regal were because the center console couldn't easily accomodate a double CD case.

[post="40066"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I never said you did. Most auto writer suck. The Leinarts almost killed some of them years ago.

[quote name='evok' date='Nov 7 2005, 04:30 PM']
I wonder if that's what the honda mechanic who had to change all 4 struts on a brand new vehicle was muttering...

[post="39902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]
You know what, that is just childish. These Ridgline owners came over here with good intensions to share their experiences and reasons for making the purchase they did. Personally I have learned a lot from their responses, particulary from their replies to my post on their site.

I think it is time for some people or children around here just to grow up. You might learn a lot if you try to educate yourselves instead of hiding behind a wall of ignorance.

[post="39918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

15 mpg from a v6 and a bent up frame at 6,000 miles as a reality is not something that's rippable?

dare me say that in this case at least one Mitsubishi (Raider) is likely a wiser choice than a Honda, if your road has the slightest hint of say, gravel or loose dirt on it. God forbid there would be dead rodent remains on the road you may run over. that would likely spell the end of the Ridgeline. Unless of course, bleeding heart as some Honda owners are (not as bad as say, Prius owners, but anyways) maybe the better choice would be to stop the vehicle before running over the rodent remains...and utilizing the trunk in the bed for cleaning up the road and transporting the rodent remains so the smell doesn't get around so badly. Edited by regfootball

If the factors described in the source story are accurate (mildly unimproved road, slow speed, avoiding chuckholes, etc) yet the ridgeline still broke all 4 struts & bent the frame, the engineering of the parts is the only logical culpruit. If that's not worthy of an indirect joke (about a honda mechanic as opposed to calling the vehicle a POS or knocking the owners- which is likewise legitimate, IMO), then nothing in the auto industry is worthy of joking about. Or did I callously gloss over the part of the story where someone was killed or maimed?

If the factors described in the source story are accurate (mildly unimproved road, slow speed, avoiding chuckholes, etc) yet the ridgeline still broke all 4 struts & bent the frame, the engineering of the parts is the only logical culpruit. If that's not worthy of an indirect joke (about a honda mechanic as opposed to calling the vehicle a POS or knocking the owners- which is likewise legitimate, IMO), then nothing in the auto industry is worthy of joking about. Or did I callously gloss over the part of the story where someone was killed or maimed?

[post="40201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

re-read what you just said. the ridgeline was driving down the road minding it's own business and all of a sudden the frame bent and ALL 4 struts broke? ummm, I'm thinking...... NO.

Oh, please do enlighten me either here or in a PM. I'm intrigued by this, sir.

[post="40127"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It has been a few years now and I forgot the specifics but at a Ride and Drive GM press event launching I believe a truck product (S-10 or something like that), the Lienarts got a little over zealous when testing the product. Like I said I forgot the specifics but they either flipped the vehicle or ran through a guard rail into another jouralist nearly missing them. It was something like that. It has been a while. But I just remember that they were being very irresponsible and after that lost the respect of many. After that GM put restraints on what can be done with the product at the press events.

• 2 weeks later...
I am proud to say that I am Ridgeline owner. I was also born in Detroit and was a die hard American Loyalist until about 8 years ago. I'd say that now I have a broader outlook when it comes to my car buying decissions. Basically every major auto manufacturer has some excellent vehicles, but they also have some mistakes. People who are stuck on one side of the fence or the other are seriously missing out. On import forums I find myself constantly trying to break through and get people to at least take a look at some of their domestic alternatives. I guess the same can be said for the Domestic boards as well. I started purchasing Hondas in 1997 when I leased a Brand new Civic EX. My decision was purely financial and I was paying about $160 a month on a two year lease. What got me to come back to Honda surprised the heck out of me. When my lease was about to expire I was over my mileage and so I went to sell the vehicle on my own. Go figure, I sold it fo $2000 more than my payoff and had a nice downpayment towards my next vehicle. Anyway, the little civic was put together exceptionally well. It didn't have the best power but it had an awesome 5 speed and an engine that revved pretty high so it was an awesome little canyon carver. This little car would pull close to 1g with just a tire change and I could hang with BMWs and Porsches in the tightest twisties. Ever since that initial experience with a Honda I've always held them in high regard so throughout the years I've purchased several more. I've also in the last 12 years owned a 1997 Tacoma 4wd, 2002 GMC Sierra Full Size 5.3L Extended Cab, 1995 F150 2wd, 2004 and 2005 Honda Pilot, 1995 Chevrolet Corvette, 2003 Honda CRV, 2004 Cadillac CTS, 1998 Ford Explorer Limited, 1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab, 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S and a 2003 Acura RSX Type-S. My '02 GMC was a fantastic vehicle. GM makes terrific engines and even though this vehicle wasn't particularly good offroad (2wd with excessively long wheelbase), it was a thrill to drive on the road. That being said I chose the Ridgeline over a new GM produst because I can lease a loaded Ridgeline for a little over $300 a month (high resale value) and there aren't any decent leases on GM Trucks. Plus when it comes time to sell it I won't lose my butt on the Honda. After owning two Pilots the Ridgeline just made sense. The engine is just as fun as my GMC. The interior is just as comfortable as my pilot plus I can take my ATV or Dirtbike to Glamis Sand Dunes without a trailer. I also play alot of Golf and can keep two sets of clubs locked inside the Bed Trunk and not lose any space in the passenger compartment or bed. This alone was the decision maker when I decided to purchase the vehicle and I find I use it every day! Offroad the Ridgeline is only slightly less competent than my '97 Tacoma 4wd, but easily does better than my 2wd GMC Sierra. The sierra was too big for tight trails and would high center and get stuck at Glamis Sand Dunes. Yeah, a 4wd GM or Ford would do better, and I'd love to have one, but I wasn't going to spend $40K on a truck. On the road there is no comparison as the Ridgeline will absolutely smoke other trucks through the twisties! Overall, I'm extremely happy with my decision. Anyone who says that the Ridgeline isn't a truck hasn't driven one. Every day I drive it I smile and think to myself how great this thing is. It easily has surpassed my expectations of what I thought a Honda Pickup would be.

I won't get into the specifics of Silverado versuse Ridgeline because it just never comes up. I suspect, where ever you hail from SDB1, that things must be different in your market because residual values or not, the Ridgeline is 5.9% lease rate and the Silverado is 1.9% I just priced out a Ridgeline on Honda Canada's website, and I can tell you that at $691/mo for 48 months, a Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 would be less than that on a 36 month lease! Honda still wants $2k up front! Not that I think the Ridgeline and Silverado are in the same market! Your point about market choices is well taken, but remember SDB1: the $35,000 you just sent to Japan is going to put a lot of your neighbors out of work. Honda and Toyota, as has been bashed to death on this board elsewhere, only do enough in North America to get around NAFTA, other than that all their jobs are shipped to Japan. I respect your right to choose to buy whatever you want, but the 5 imported cars you bought would have otherwise put a lot of money into the jobs/tax base of America, also the country you CHOOSE to live in.

I won't get into the specifics of Silverado versuse Ridgeline because it just never comes up.  I suspect, where ever you hail from SDB1, that things must be different in your market because residual values or not, the Ridgeline is 5.9% lease rate and the Silverado is 1.9%
  I just priced out a Ridgeline on Honda Canada's website, and I can tell you that at $691/mo for 48 months, a Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 would be less than that on a 36 month lease!  Honda still wants $2k up front!
  Not that I think the Ridgeline and Silverado are in the same market!
  Your point about market choices is well taken, but remember SDB1:  the $35,000 you just sent to Japan is going to put a lot of your neighbors out of work.  Honda and Toyota, as has been bashed to death on this board elsewhere, only do enough in North America to get around NAFTA, other than that all their jobs are shipped to Japan.
  I respect your right to choose to buy whatever you want, but the 5 imported cars you bought would have otherwise put a lot of money into the jobs/tax base of America, also the country you CHOOSE to live in.

[post="44895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When in doubt wave the flag.

This thread is like a combination of Train Wreck and smoke and mirrors. It's interesting that this is only SDB1's second post. How can I be sure he's not the son of Honda Soichiro. He's biased enough and /or has his head in the wrong place enough. It's like listening to communist propaganda. The sad part is that he might actually believe all the stuff he's saying. :blink:

This thread is like a combination of Train Wreck and smoke and mirrors.

It's interesting that this is only SDB1's second post. How can I be sure he's not the son of Honda Soichiro. He's biased enough and /or has his head in the wrong place enough.

It's like listening to communist propaganda. The sad part is that he might actually believe all the stuff he's saying. :blink:

[post="44906"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, right. Let's automatically think someone is lying when they say BOTH domestic and import makes have great cars, and he's owned them both. Terrible, just terrible... :rolleyes:

I think some of the "GM only" or "domestic only" morons on this board need to shut up, go drive some real cars from a lot of different manufacturers, and STOP accusing people of being fakes or flamers just b/c they haven't accumulated many posts.

Did ya notice he happened to really LIKE the GMC he commented on, just like he now LIKES his Ridgeline? Think about what was actually said. :AH-HA_wink:

This thread is like a combination of Train Wreck and smoke and mirrors.

It's interesting that this is only SDB1's second post. How can I be sure he's not the son of Honda Soichiro. He's biased enough and /or has his head in the wrong place enough.

It's like listening to communist propaganda. The sad part is that he might actually believe all the stuff he's saying. :blink:

[post="44906"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, it's obvious that he's one of the members of the Ridgeline Owners Club, directed here by one of our members.......to give us his unbiased view of the Ridgeline. :AH-HA_wink:

Did ya notice he happened to really LIKE the GMC he commented on, just like he now LIKES his Ridgeline?  Think about what was actually said. :AH-HA_wink:

[post="44909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Liking and buying are completely different things! He likes the GMC.....but he bought a Ridgeline.

I like the Honda S2000, but would never dream of giving that much money (as opposed to an $100 electronic gizmo) to Japan.

No, it's obvious that he's one of the members of the Ridgeline Owners Club, directed here by one of our members.......to give us his unbiased view of the Ridgeline. :AH-HA_wink:

[post="44913"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Boo Hoo - Quit you crying already.