Apologetic

ocnblu

Darn it, I need to apologize to those I've offended here in The Lounge lately. Here I am, moaning about all the malaise that has spilled into our little "escape pod" on the 'net, and I've been adding to it myself. I really want to get away from all the negativity that has plagued The Lounge lately. It's bad enough to hear of the latest seemingly insurmountable challenge befalling our beloved GM and the rest of the domestic auto industry in the rest of C&G, but to me, this part of the forum should be a safe haven from "The World" and all its harsh realities. :unitedstates:

Well I'm glad you've realized what a hypocrite you've been the past month or so, but honestly all it takes is a little bit of personal maturity. Actions speak louder than words, so if you're really coming to an epiphany, then you'll prove it by:

a) being able to participate in political threads without getting whiny because the majority of posters do not agree with you, OR by showing the self-restraint to stay out of those threads if you cannot handle them. There are PLENTY of non-political threads in the lounge.

b) not resorting to petty sniping. Fine if you disagree vehemently with someone in a thread, but then taking that dissatisfaction outside that to another area...yea not cool. Holding grudges is so negative and frankly obnoxious.

I really appreciate your creating this thread, as I'd been recently contemplating putting you on my ignore list. I'm glad I don't have to do that now.

What, I'm being honest and direct here. As I always am.

You start a thread apologizing for being out of line, and you're offended that I agree with you that you were out of line? Really? Seriously? Because all that does is make me doubt the sincerity of your original post.

Croc, there's a mile between being "direct" and exercising a degree of tact. Allow me to 'boil it down' :

>>"...what a hypocrite you've been... a little bit of personal maturity... without getting whiny... self-restraint... cannot handle... petty sniping... holding grudges is so negative and frankly obnoxious."<<

Topping your post off with 'I really appreciate your creating this thread' does not mop up the...(ahem) bile listed above. I know 'that's how you see it', but I refer you again to note how it was received.

>>"f@#k it. I'm done with this &#036;h&#33;. "<<

ummm... .. ... is this an example of "a little bit of personal maturity" ???

The political discussions are not the cause. People acting immaturely are the cause.

OCN, you've offended people who thought they were your friends. You've engaged in ad hominem, ad nauseum. You've been spoken to about your attacks on other members of this board and yet you continued to do it. You've been a shining star of why we cannot allow political threads outside of election season, in fact, I think you are the sole reason for me wanting to change my vote for political threads. You have proven me wrong in my feeling that we're all mature enough adults here to have civilized political discussion. While I vehemently disagree with GM4Life and Balthazar politically, they have conducted themselves with a level of maturity <with one exception> that you have either been incapable or unwilling to display. They are able to form a political argument, with facts and figure and links. For that, I respect them and their views and would enjoy tossing the political ball over the net with them indefinitely.

In regards to your apology,you are rather fond of demanding actions rather than words. Doctor... heal thyself.

Easy now everyone, let's dial it back a bit.

Don't allow strong feelings on what really is tangential to the reason we all are members here to reduce the level of respect we have developed for one another over the years.

I am an extremely political animal, yet I have not been in one "battle" over it here since we allowed such discussions. Is that really so hard?

May I suggest that we all refrain a bit from "naming names" and placing blame on anyone for expressing opinion and emotion about this contentious election?

For a long time, politics would creep into a thread around here (although technically against the rules) and we all seemed to be able to handle it in an intelligent and civil fashion. Now that we have officially allowed it, it has (at times) descended to the level of slugfest.

That really disappoints me.

Croc, there's a mile between being "direct" and exercising a degree of tact. Allow me to 'boil it down' :

>>"...what a hypocrite you've been... a little bit of personal maturity... without getting whiny... self-restraint... cannot handle... petty sniping... holding grudges is so negative and frankly obnoxious."<<

Topping your post off with 'I really appreciate your creating this thread' does not mop up the...(ahem) bile listed above. I know 'that's how you see it', but I refer you again to note how it was received.

>>"f@#k it. I'm done with this &#036;h&#33;. "<<

ummm... .. ... is this an example of "a little bit of personal maturity" ???

This is so cute. Bye!

I started this thread with the best of intentions, and it was about more than my (long over) participation in the political threads. I was hoping for a new attitude in general, not only from myself, but from people I thought I've come to know here over the last several years. So far, it hasn't achieved what I had in mind.

Edited by ocnblu

Really, is this what has being going down since I've been gone. I hate to say that alot of you are acting like n00bs on a compact cat forum. You know what? NOBODY on here is god and NOBODY on here is better than anyone else. If you let political affiliation turn you into an asshole, well then you're no better than the people who call Obama a terrorist.

Okay, everyone simmer down and take a couple of these:

chillpill.jpg

Seriously, it's time for all this crap to stop. Emotions are running high, I understand, as there's not much good news anywhere these days, and this election is the most crucial election in quite some time. But it's disappointing to see friend turn upon friend here over political beliefs when in the past we've been able to take the high road on much more pointed issues (you know what they are).

Ocn, apology accepted. With that said, everybody should take a moment to re-read our Politics Policy and Rule #2 thread for participating in political discussions and adhere to it to the letter. Also, I want to add - argue with facts, not emotions. Review each candidate's stance on the issues that are important to you, and base your stance on that. Saying you're pro McCain because "Obama is a crackpot" or saying you're pro-Obama because "McCain is an old fart" will get you nowhere.

We really do not want to reinstate Rule #2 before orignally intended, but it is on the table at this point. We really need to prove that we can handle this election season with the class and civility that we've shown in the past.

As someone who has stayed away from these political threads I gotta agree with Camino and Defts.... This is not a political forum - saying "Congress' biggest fans and toughest critics". If it does become that way then thoughts not emotions should rule.

Like Z28 I think rule #2 should be applied too. The forum has become like desperate housewives blog with no real material. And to both parties, regardless of your affiliation and whoever gets elected, life is NOT going to stop for you and so for America. If you genuinely feel for the country, then your time should be spent on solving real problems in the country not on the blog arguing. We complain about armchair critics of auto industry, we on this forum have became a bunch of such entities on political points.

I hate to say that alot of you are acting like n00bs on a compact cat forum. You know what? NOBODY on here is god and NOBODY on here is better than anyone else.

+ 1

Where did all of this come from?!?!?

You all know that I am a huge proponent of free speech on this forum. But I think it is important that we remember the context here.

This is a BB that anyone can come to and say anything. There is no face to go with the name and text on the screen. So, as a result people can be a lot more bold and harsh than they would be face to face (I know I am) and they can say very hurtful things without feeling remorse because after all, it's "just text on a webpage".

Just because we disagree on politics, cars, the color purple, whatever, doesn't mean that anyone should take it personal.

ocn I don't really think you owe anyone an apology (But I see why you started the thread) because I don't think anyone should take what is typed on here that seriously.

I'm not trying to make our board insignificant in any way, but there are a lot of psychological factors that play into a community like this and we should all keep that in mind.

It's like I always say; FUTURE_OF_GM is not me. FUTURE_OF_GM is an identity that I created for a GM forum. No one should ever judge a personality or the value of a person solely because of what they post here.

FWIW, eventhough I am not planning on voting in the election, I think that both candidates have the ability to do great things for this country. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm going to agree with FOG on this one.... :yes:

I myself have avoided some of those posts because of some of the negative views I'm holding during this election time.

All of you have to understand (even Croc :P ) that it has been a rough year for EVERYONE, so everyone is allowed to go a little nuts now and then....

Feelings are hurt, tempers and emotions are high-never has there been so much crazy stuff going on.....

Ocn, you're a good guy...heck, I'm not going going to remember these nutty posts in a few weeks....

Just to try to beathe people..... 8)

Quick Satty-throw in a good joke...... :yes:

O.B.

You've never offended me. if anything I hijacked your Fit thread, if you

want, you should feel free to go to a Honda Dealer and "have a Fit".

(I just recycled one of YOUR jokes) :lol:

No &#036;h&#33; it's been a rough year, which is why I have very little patience for certain individuals who persist in irritating me after I have already informed them that their behavior is annoying. That's just basic manners and decency.

:) OK; then refrain from every other posting urge you have, because that's about the frequency I find your posts to be annoying (& distastefully self-righteous, BTW). You have been so informed. Now conform to my standards of manners & decency, or I'll have to put you on my ignore list. :P:lol::wacko:

Seriously, someone in this thread stated some good advice:

>>'...show the self-restraint to stay out of the threads you cannot handle.'<<

Thank you for your support. :)

:) OK; then refrain from every other posting urge you have, because that's about the frequency I find your posts to be annoying (& distastefully self-righteous, BTW).

This has to be one of the most ironic posts ever made on this site. And if that's really how you feel, you should have put me on the ignore list a looooooong time ago. :lol: