Official Camaro pricing

Chris_Doane

Hm, didn't the Solstice at one time start at $19,995? It didn't come with anything - no ABS, no power windows, no air conditioning - and subsequently after the buzz, it went up $3K. Maybe it'll be a similar story with the Camaro.

This is exactly why I'm fretting over the profit margins. Kappa is/was NOT a moneymaker.

This is exactly why I'm fretting over the profit margins. Kappa is/was NOT a moneymaker.

I think that the majority of buyers will at least step up to a 1LT (floor mats, fog lights, aluminum wheels, nicer interior, power seats). I think that the RS package (not available on LS) will also drive a lot of people up into the LT models.

So, while I'm not sure how profitable the LS can be, I don't think it will be the volume car, either.

I think the pricing is good, pretty much what I expected. It is a lot of styling, performance and value. The base model has floor mats as an option, so I am guessing it is pretty stripped down. I would imagine most cars have an equipment group or LT package and there won't be many $22,995 models built anyway, most will be $25-27,000.

I think that the majority of buyers will at least step up to a 1LT (floor mats, fog lights, aluminum wheels, nicer interior, power seats). I think that the RS package (not available on LS) will also drive a lot of people up into the LT models.

So, while I'm not sure how profitable the LS can be, I don't think it will be the volume car, either.

Doesn't matter, though. That base pricing starts so low concerns me for the profit margins of each bundled trim level. GM needs money more than car enthusiasts need a new Camaro.

Depends on volume. Anyone know how many of these will be cranked out?

Variable costs are the only ones affected by volume...and let's be honest this will be low volume. It's the wrong car for the wrong time, overweight, under-fuel efficient, not practical. So we have low volume, which means higher variable costs since there aren't really huge economies of scale. Mostly, though, I'm concerned about the fixed costs in engineering the damn thing.

GM better be making money on each one of these they sell, though I have a sinking feeling these are going to shade dealership lot pavement from the sun.

ETA: All the "Oh, don't worry about it because most Camaros won't sell at base equipment levels" posts are actually making me more concerned than anything else...it seems like nobody disagrees with my instinct that base trims are being sold at a loss or damn close to it.

Edited by Croc

I think the new camaro will be a nice car and nice competition for the muscle car class it is much faster and better value than charger or mustang only problem i see with it is its ugly

charger and stang are exallant recrations of the first muscle cars the camaro look more like the last one

i'm only excited about the camaro because it will force the mustang to stop sucking so bad

the challenger i just plain like

good deal for the car though

I think the new camaro will be a nice car and nice competition for the muscle car class it is much faster and better value than charger or mustang only problem i see with it is its ugly

charger and stang are exallant recrations of the first muscle cars the camaro look more like the last one

i'm only excited about the camaro because it will force the mustang to stop sucking so bad

the challenger i just plain like

good deal for the car though

If you think the new 2010 Camaro is ugly, then don't buy it! The manufacturers can't please everyone with one car, just buy the Challenger you like even if the Camaro is "a good deal for the car though". Just FYI, the new Camaro was never intended to be a clone of the '69 Camaro, just some styling cues were taken from the '69.

Clyde

WANT!!!

At that price point, it IS within my budget...and I AM going to be in the market.

I think I'm going to ahve to change my username to something like CAMROGUY in a few months...amazing car!

Chris

Don't worry, you won't be getting the keys anytime soon!

You can cruise around with your girlfriends in your Hyundai Sonata with the wing and the dubs...I want to drive a more "manly" car.

Besides, it would still be better looking than almost anything else on our block!

Chris